PS4 - Transistor

March 2012 PSN Top Sellers: Journey Soars

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Apr 06, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

It’s pretty clear that March was a banner month for PlayStation Network. As you may already know, Journey was recently proclaimed PSN’s fastest-selling game. It should come as no surprise to see that it’s also March’s top selling PSN game! Our hats are off to thatgamecompany for making a truly unique experience that you can only find on PSN. We also saw the debut of the free-to-play Killzone 3 Multiplayer, Motorstorm RC and Mass Effect 3. All of them proved to be big movers and shakers as they all made their debut in the top 20.

Also of note is Escape Plan’s second month in a row in the #1 spot on the PS Vita lists! Can Lil and Larg go for a third month in April? Or will the releases of new PS Vita content like Disgaea 3 and The Pinball Arcade shake things up a bit?

Check out the full lists below for all the details from March. Did you help get Journey to the top spot? What are your predictions for April’s top PSN Game? Let us know in the comments below.

Top 20 PSN and PS3 Full Games

1) Journey – A true gem; Journey surpassed expectations with many gamers. Be sure to pick up the soundtrack when it drops on April 10th.
2) inFAMOUS Festival of Blood
3) Resident Evil 4
4) MotorStorm RC
5) Killzone3 Multiplayer
6) Mass Effect 3 – Debuting on the PlayStation Store the same day as it was available at retail, Mass Effect 3 took PSN users by storm.
7) Gotham City Impostors
8) Grand Theft Auto IV
9) Mass Effect 2
10) The Simpsons Arcade Game
11) Rayman 3 HD – Part of Spring Fever, Rayman 3 HD brought 3D platforming goodness in style!
12) NBA JAM: On Fire Edition
13) Warriors Orochi 3
14) The House of the Dead IIIPlayStation Plus armed subscribers with a day-one discount that many felt was too good to pass up.
15) Limbo
16) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
17) Real Steel
18) Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
19) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
20) Sonic CD

Top 10 PS Vita Games

1) Escape Plan – The free Bakuki’s Lair level for Escape Plan hits users on April 10th!
2) Unit 13
3) Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
4) Super Stardust Delta
5) Plants vs. Zombies
6) MLB 12 The Show
7) Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
8) Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
9) Rayman Origins
10) Hustle Kings

Top 5 PS3 Add-Ons

1) MLB 12 The Show Road to the Show Training Points (6,000) – Boost your Road to the Show player’s stats instantly.
2) Mass Effect 3: From Ashes
3) Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand
4) MLB 11 The Show Road to the Show Training Points
5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 – Sazh: Heads or Tails?

Top 5 PSone Classics

1) Final Fantasy VII – The king returns, along with Square-Enix’s other PS one Classics to take over the top 5.
2) Final Fantasy IX
3) Final Fantasy VI
4) Final Fantasy VIII
5) Chrono Trigger

Top 5 PSP Games

1) Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions – This classic may be benefitting from new life as a downloadable on PS Vita.
2) Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
3) Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
4) Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy
5) Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

+ butcherknife on April 6th, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

Good to see Unit 13 at 2nd place for Vita. I dig that game. Just spent some time last night trying to beat the high score on a few maps of my PSN friends. Too bad it doesn’t have online competitive multiplayer though.

+ Jak23ft on April 6th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

I’m glad to see Journey selling so well, it deserves it.

+ manzoor47 on April 6th, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

Glad to see Journey on top. Its one of the best games I’ve ever played.

+ cosmis_chaos on April 6th, 2012 at 9:31 am said:

I want to buy it. I really do. I loved Flower but the price is holding me back. If it was $9.99 I would be all over it.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

the price is holding me back also. 15 for a 1 hour and 30 minute game is ah bit to much for me. YESS ppl i know you say its amazing but still…

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Wellll, a) it took me about 3 hours to go through it, and b) i’ve gone through it about 4 times. It’s THAT good =) So I’ve gotten about 8 hours of awesomeness from Journey. BUY IT.

+ Benmo316 on April 6th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

Why don’t we ever see how many of each item is sold? I heard inFAMOUS 2: Festival of Blood and Journey are the highest sold PSN titles, but how many did they sell? Some numbers would be nice.

+ KidCommando on April 6th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

@cosmis_chaos

Support the developer! If you loved flower I’m sure you will dig Journey. That Game Company deserves the extra $5; more than most developers do.

Think of it as supporting unique future games.

If you can’t afford it thats another story, but the originality they bring is worth the extra bucks if you can spare it.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

yeah. for me, if more games were like Journey where they offer a completely flawless experience that you can constantly be engaged with over the course of 3-4 hours; I’ll pay $15 every time.

+ remanutd5 on April 6th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

man too bad Modnation Racers Road Trip isnt on that vita list , i totally love the game but i reckon it needs wheel to wheel online multiplayer to make it even better, any news on Resistance Burning Skies multiplayer details? how about Little Big Planet release date? Sound Shapes? what happened to Smart As and Broken? oh and Escape Plan is awesome too!!!

+ remanutd5 on April 6th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

oh good to see Motorstorm RC high on that list, hopefully EVO brings a true Motorstorm game to the Vita , i really miss that adrenaline running through my veins, Lunatics Unite!!!

+ thereck24 on April 6th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

Its good to see Journey up there. I had bought all the PS One Classics when Final Fantasy was in Spring Fever. Im a huge Final Fantasy fan now and foreveeeeeeeer!

+ cookiemonster525 on April 6th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

Will you guys be putting PS2 classics on the list eventually?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Probably. I’d want to see the collection grow a bit more over the next few months before we start adding it to the list though.

+ Rotsujin on April 6th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

Would really like to see some actual sales numbers, especially for the Vita games.

+ Sponge-worthy on April 6th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

Congrats to Journey and all those who made the lists.

It seems pretty evident that there is a hunger out there for classic Square RPGs. Might I suggest that Sony reach out and try to get a version of Secret of Mana on PSN? If iOS can have it, why can’t we?

+ Gogo_ZvC on April 6th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

I will end up picking Journey up as soon as PS+ gets a discount :)

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

you’ll be waiting for a while my friend!

+ Zarxce on April 6th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

I refuse to believe Real Steal is still on the top 20 list. Did they give you guys a giant sack of money with a dollar sign on it or something? Just to get mentioned on that list? I have NEVER seen anyone playing that or even talk about that game…like…EVER. I believe it was on the IGN podcast that I heard it was a genuinely BAD game too. I find it baffling that such a game could be in the “top 20″…

+ XxAmEnEmxX on April 6th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

no Soul Reaver on the top 5 ps1 list ? SHAME ON YOU GUYS !!!

+ seamonkey420 on April 6th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

so.. umm.. when the heck is the PS Minis and not able to download my over 25+ minis to my PSVIta going to be fixed?? trust me, i’ve tried EVERYTHING!

download to the ps3, try to use content manager to copy over – nothing
download to the psvita; wait i can’t cuz it tells me that i cannot download this item to my vita

btw, loved Journey!! a moving piece of art with a much deeper meaning/portrayal of an emotion..

+ Zoidzerg on April 6th, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

@14/Morgan

Hehe. Well, at least I know now not to get my hopes up. Nothing like raising a family and having a spouse in law school during a recession to kill someones gaming budget. Seriously Sony, fix the recession already! :)

I imagine it is worth full price. But I am going to be frugal and finish up what is on my plate before I go and buy another plate? Interested in getting Flow too (Flower is awesome BTW) so maybe PSN+ can start greasing the wheels to see if they could get discounts on previous TGC titles?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

yeah, priorities first for sure! Although sitting and playing Journey together with the family would be a great experience for everyone to see.

+ CrashSpyro on April 6th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

Did you exclude MotorStorm RC from the Vita list? I refuse to believe that a free game wasn’t #1 in March compared to the paid items on PSN.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

Morgan Haro , i ben on the fence about getting it. im just not sure if a fan of Hardcore games would realy enjoy it. i do like breaks and have a relaxing game once in a while, and sinse you put it that way. A and B sounding good. il most likely be picking this up very soon now.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 1:30 pm said:

yeah, it’s all about managing your expectations, so don’t go in expecting CRAZY ACTION, lol. i wouldn’t call Journey ‘relaxing’ either. at many moments, it’s quite tense. But it’s about the ability for the developer to create this awesome world that you guide your character through. it’s not as abstract as flower or flow, but I hope you like it when you get there =)

+ TwinDad on April 6th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

Put me on the waiting for a sale list for Journey. I can wait, I don’t care how long.

Interesting to note that Journey aside. The majority of those games are from the spring fever sale. I can’t say numbers wise, but I hope somebody is taking notes that when things go on sale they sell very well.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

yep; we always encourage our partners to put great content on sale as we know it can bring new users to their games.

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on April 6th, 2012 at 12:41 pm said:

It’s nice to see Killzone 3, The Simpsons Arcade & House of the Dead 3 on there too.

+ JDSSLP on April 6th, 2012 at 12:49 pm said:

How is it that Unit 13 is the #2 best seller for the Vita, yet their studio was shut down?

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 6th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

It’s awesome to see Warriors Orochi 3 made it into the top 20. I am loving that game. It is so much fun.

And FFs IX and IV were each second in their respectvie categories. Glad I was able to help those two on the lists.

Sadly, the last thing I bought for Vita was Sumioni and it didn’t make the top list. Hopefully it will for April. And I’ve got so many games to play for it, I’m good on content. Don’t let the constant whining about lack of updates bother you, Sony. People need to expand their horizons (either in game genres or consoles) so they have more options. I’m perfectly content until Ruin and Gravity Rush come out in May/June. And Sorcery is finally coming out for the PSMove in May as well, so I’m gonna be busy!

+ SpiritThief on April 6th, 2012 at 2:12 pm said:

I got some the FF classics this month during the sale. A little sad that FF IV isn’t on PSN yet. I get not wanting to bundle it with Chrono, its wroth it. But finish the set please.

Can’t until we get some more PS2 classics so they can make the list. Odin Sphere is the best out of the bunch so far imo.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 6th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

If you have a PSP, check out the FFIV Complete Edition. Probably the definitive version of that game.

Also, if you didn’t hear, Persona 3 FES is coming to PS2 Classics next week; it’s a great game if you haven’t tried it

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 2:26 pm said:

kool Morgan Haro, i like your view on it. i will give it a go. i just need to not go in thinking that kratos is going to hack and slash Sand-Man. thanks

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on April 6th, 2012 at 2:29 pm said:

Wow Real Steel is still in the top 20.

Great to see Journey, Festival of Blood, and Resident Evil 4 still doing well.

+ Elvick_ on April 6th, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

I’m glad to see Mega Man Maverick Hunter X on there. I wish they’d continue that series on PSVita… along with the other reboot series Powered Up. ):

+ shades909 on April 6th, 2012 at 3:04 pm said:

Square-enix always completly own the psp and ps1 chart.

I think this proves there’s still demand for rpg game.

If there’s a reason for why rpg sell least since a few years might be because good rpg are rare nowaday.

Lot of recent rpg simply ignore story specially western rpg.

I really enjoyed playing Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur, but both of them really had bad stories.

Japanese are stuck in the last era, they still make good games, but after playing the same kind of rpg hundreds of times anyone would get tired.

So it’s either they move forward, but forget what is essential in a good rpg… A good stories.

Or they are stuck in the last era and peoples are tired of always playing the same kind of rpg.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 3:42 pm said:

i got REAL STEEL. its a good game in my openion but i will tell you that you have to grind ALOTTTTT if you want to beat the whole game. i hade to refight some of the same bots over and over until i hade enough money to purchase better parts.

+ CaptenMidnite on April 6th, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

a demo for journey would be a good idea

+ JG4Horrorshow on April 6th, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

Journey was well worth the price. Only game I’ve played that conveyed a story so clearly and perfectly without using a single word.

+ JEC94 on April 6th, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

Sony bring zipper back we want MAG 2!

+ La_maravich_22 on April 6th, 2012 at 4:39 pm said:

° Please enable html5 and flash player to the ps vita.
° Youtube Instagram and Skype app for the ps vita.
° Google Chrome web browser to the ps vita.
° Cross chat platform between ps vita and ps3 users.
° Organize the content of the PSN and add a sort list on the download list by year,month,genre.
° Show to the ps3 users when the ps vita users are conected and enable the present data.
° Full integration of the PS Plus features for vita users enable cloud service.
° Improve the Facebook app of the ps vita.
° Release an avatar pack when the game comes out not 3 weeks laters.
° Fix the ps3 browser and make a partnership with google or mozilla to the next gen console. ° More PSN games to the vita and ports of great titles like journey flower nba jam castle crasher magic orbz pacman closure tetris modern combat ect ect.
° Enable to send pictures from the vita to the ps3.
° Buy Quantic Dream and ThatGameCompany.

+ La_maravich_22 on April 6th, 2012 at 4:40 pm said:

° Please ps fans needs Kevin Butler again in the next E3 also Guerrilla Games with the new ip and the vita version of killzone , Naughty Dog with Last of Us, Santa Monica Studio with the secret project,Respawn Entretaiment, The last Guardian
° Sony needs to show Bioshock, Assassins Creeds and Call of Duty for vita.
°Sony needs more game for the PS Vita like Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Phantasy Star, Battlefield, God of War, Infamous, NBA 2K and a Rpg like skyrim
° Drop Price of PS3 and Ps Vita
° A MMO for the ps vita.
° The next console needs a universal party system for all the games.
° Buy at least 2 studio for eclusive development of psn games.
° New PSN Interface for the next console.
° A lot of features for the PSN like Steam.
° Digital Games not at the same price of the disc games.
° Take ideas for the new console onlive services from steam and make a subscription payment program like xbox live but no to expensive.

+ buffpotato on April 6th, 2012 at 5:09 pm said:

Agreed #25.

I have a PSP and I don’t even want FFIV complete collection. I’d rather have the SNES graphics and PS1 loading times. The redone sprites are fugly and the price is much too high and I heard it still has loading issues anyways.

We all know Square is just keeping FFIV off PSN to try and sell the complete collection

+ TwinDad on April 6th, 2012 at 8:35 pm said:

Hold the awesome train. Persona 3 FES for PS2 on the pSN next week. Why isn’t this front page news? Seriously awesome news.

I understand Morgan that there is a very delicate relationship to sales numbers and the price. The publisher and the developer have to work this fine line between maximum sales and maximum profit. It’s very difficult, however it’s easy to be an arm chair analyst as it isn’t my company at stake here. It’s always nice to save money, but often times consumers put a price on an item. Even if it’s not on sale there is a built in value to an item and when it’s there people purchase it. I think it goes to show that a very large number of people saw the value in Journey. I do appreciate when developers and publishers are willing to lower the price to get a new wave of customers.

+ musicman1234 on April 6th, 2012 at 9:04 pm said:

Will def be picking up the Soundtrack for Journey.

+ Sevyne on April 6th, 2012 at 9:29 pm said:

I have a library of games that would probably take half of my lifetime to actually fully complete, but of the many games I have played Journey is amongst the few I will never forget. It is more of an experience rather than a game really. In it’s short time it managed to hit every single human emotion without as much as a single word. It’s something you can’t help but go from beginning to end without walking away from it once. Anyone asking for a demo of it just doesn’t understand what Journey is. It really is something a demo couldn’t convey. You have to experience it in it’s entirety.

+ NeonBlade on April 6th, 2012 at 9:51 pm said:

Its curious that we don’t actually get concrete sales figures atleast for the top five, it would be helpful to gauge. Its wonderful however that Journey managed to do well. It deserves to do well strictly from an artistic perspective. Keep these coming. Next month I hope to see Closure charting highly as well. Both deserving, innovative and fresh exclusives.

+ CreteDog802 on April 7th, 2012 at 2:51 am said:

When will we be seeing more PSP titles available for download on the Vita? I have purchased six that are on the store now, but am very interested in some not yet there. Like Killzone.

+ Frodobald on April 7th, 2012 at 3:53 am said:

How come MotorStorm RC is not in the Vita list?
I have no problem with the price/length of Journey. Compare it to what you pay to see a movie in a theatre. Journey is better than most movies and you can play it again and again and again, as can your family members.

+ Strangeheaven on April 7th, 2012 at 4:59 am said:

Please could you ask sony to buy thatgamecompany,because the three dealgame contract is now up.

Sony please buy,

thatgamecompany

Quantic Dream

and hopefully Rockstargames, that would be the iceing on the cake.

Cheers

+ sirbflo114 on April 7th, 2012 at 6:59 am said:

Why does Europe have Need for Speed: Most Wanted on PSN and United States doesn’t? I think it is the best Need for Speed game in the series and disappointed that only Europe gets to play it from PSN. Any word of it ever being released on PSN?

+ NeonBlade on April 7th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

We need concrete numbers. Atleast for the top five games, so we can gauge. Happy for Journey to succeed, from an artistic and different perspective. I hope to see Closure charting highly at the end of next month as well. PSN has been getting exclusive, innovate and well designed titles, keep this up.

+ cody-san on April 8th, 2012 at 6:58 am said:

I would love to by Journey. But before I do, before I buy anything else on PSN for that matter, Sony needs to let its customers know if the purchases they make in PSN on their PS3 will carryover to the PS4.

When I buy a game on Steam I can download it on any computer I own and ever will own. Until Sony lets us do the same thing with our PSN purchases I will not be spending any more money on PSN. My digital game purchase money will instead go to Steam.

+ MJoniaux on April 10th, 2012 at 1:04 am said:

Why is mass effect 3 $60 when it is digital?? there is no disc, no case, no shipping charges, nothing. So what’s with the inflated price????