PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Skullgirls Hits PSN April 10th, Full Demo Details

Peter Bartholow's Avatar + Posted by Peter Bartholow on Apr 06, 2012 // CEO, Lab Zero Games

Hey everybody! Now that I’m finally able to answer the two questions everyone’s been asking, the PlayStation.Blog has graciously allowed me to address you again. Without further ado…

Skullgirls will (finally) be released in North America on PSN on April 10th for $14.99, with a European release in the following weeks. While that sinks in, check out the trailer for our eighth playable character, the disturbing Double.

Ready? Good. Now, just think about it...

A fully-featured fighting game

…With endless hours of online, genre-refining gameplay by a tournament champ…

…With an amazing cast of characters, realized with stunning and smooth high-resolution 2D animation…

…For $14.99.

Of course, for any lingering skeptics and fence-sitters, we’ve prepared a great trial version to highlight Skullgirls’ real, honest fighting.

The trial version features:

• Two Characters, Filia and Cerebella
  • An abbreviated Arcade Mode, with three AI battles
  • Local versus play, limited to duo teams
  • Four tutorials
  • Practice Room

SG03

All in all, the trial should let you get a feel for Skullgirls’ fundamentals, experience the power and gameplay depth of two characters and get a taste of the single player content, all while leaving you wanting more.

You may want to pick the game up soon and start practicing, though, because Autumn Games will be sponsoring a number of tournaments throughout the spring and summer. The winners of each tournament will get a gorgeous, one-of-a-kind FoeHammer custom Skullgirls fight stick like the one below.

Skullgirls_FightStick

Each stick is unique, and you can see more pictures of these amazing sticks on our Flickr page.

So far, we’ve announced four tournaments:

• Texas Showdown Championships : Houston – April 6-8
  • PowerUp : Cincinnati – April 13-15
  • Stunfest : Rennes, France – April 13-15
  • ESC – The Elite Series at Wizard World Toronto Comicon : Toronto – April 14-15

Many more will be added in the coming weeks, so check out our website to see if there will be a tournament near you!

Thanks for reading, and we can’t wait to fight you online next week!

PAGE 1 2

+ Soda-Evans on April 6th, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

Hell YEAH! Been waiting so long for this. A must have for anyone who likes fighters.

+ Jimm_West on April 6th, 2012 at 7:21 am said:

wow this drops on my birthday!!! what a good b-day present from SONY! :) it would be even better if ti was A FREE Bday present :) but its still good :)

+ fatjoe400 on April 6th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

Been waiting for this game forever. Can’t wait for the update next week :)

+ MI_Titan27 on April 6th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

Looks interesting, will have to definitely try the demo

+ Dinsouza on April 6th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

Since no one asked for it yet: what about a Vita version? :)

As a matter of fact, I think every PSN game should have one.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

No plans for one at the moment, but a lot of people are asking for one and I’m making sure that our publisher knows that.

+ ZeroSection on April 6th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

Finally, I’ve been waiting forever for this to come out. Journey, Skullgirls, and Lolipopchainsaw look like the only decent things to play that are coming out. SSX was a dissapointment.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

14.99 …. thats pretty steep for such ah low roster. il give the demo a try. if any good i will make a purchase.

+ cosmis_chaos on April 6th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

My God. What the hell is Double? Did she actually turn herself inside out? Sick!!!!!! And here I thought Pinwheel was bad. I am actually looking forward for DLC for this game. I want to see more characters like these. You guys give Guilty Gear a run for their money with weird characters. They are right up there with Faust and his giant scalpel

+ guitarded77 on April 6th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

A. The custom fighting stick is awesome.

B. Will there be a PS+ discount, because $15 is a bit much with so many other fighting games on the market?

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

There will not be a PSN+ discount, I’m afraid.

+ k0wb0y-b33b0p on April 6th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

I NEED this game now.

Tell me there will be a tournament somewhere in North Carolina…please.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

Sorry, but we’re pretty much attending all the Evo qualifiers, and they’re not having one in North Carolina.

Looks like the closest to you would be the Midwest Championships in Nashville, TN, or CEO in Orlando, FL.

+ antiheroforhire on April 6th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

Just because Capcom has over saturated the fighting genre, you’re asking the developer of an Indie game to price it cheaper? That logic is terrible, especially when sales are going to be the number 1 determining factor in the fruitation and future of this franchise.

Anyway, this will be a day one purchase for me as well! Big fighting game fan, and been waiting for this forever. I’m hoping it lives up to the hype it’s received in the community.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:53 pm said:

Thanks so much, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on April 6th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

At last, the long wait will finally be over. Can’t wait to purchase this on Tuesday. Being a scrub, it’s probably going to take me forever to get the hang of Parasoul.

Also, I think I remember hearing there would be PSN avatars for Skullgirls. Any idea when we can expect those?

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

We are working on PSN avatars, but they haven’t been made yet and Sony’s approval time takes a while, too.

We’re trying to give you a great value for them and a lot of variety. In fact, a certain April Fool’s Day joke might… Oh no, I’ve said too much!

+ Cross-Legacy on April 6th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Been waiting for this for a long time. Glad it got such a close release date. I read somewhere that you guys were doing something for handhelds next year as well. SO STOKED!!!

+ Sponge-worthy on April 6th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Is this the game that supposedly breaks infinite combos when it detects a player using one?

+ SuspendoVir on April 6th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

“with a European release in the following weeks”

Weeks? WEEKS?! But I want to give you my money NOW! T_T

I guess it still beats waiting over a year for Arcana Heart 3.

+ Kchow23 on April 6th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

Can’t wait and glad that there will be a demo! Really hoping a PS Vita version comes out after watching Pulse footage on it!

+ Kchow23 on April 6th, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

Will there be DLC or even a Super Skullgirls version?

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

We are working on DLC characters, but we don’t know how many we’ll be making yet.

And there will not be a “Super Skullgirls,” but we do plan on updating and improving the game with free patches.

+ J_KEEL on April 6th, 2012 at 11:14 am said:

Can’t wait to make a Valentine-Miss Fortune team.

+ Zarxce on April 6th, 2012 at 11:17 am said:

I haven’t been following this super closely but I did really want to check it out. If I don’t get to buy it next week, I’ll buy it the following week for sure (wallet seems to be getting lighter and lighter these days). 2D fighters have always been the best kind in my opinion :D

And since this isn’t being handled by a certain company, I’m assuming I don’t have to worry about Super Ultra Skulgirls Arcade EX+ edition coming out 6 months later (you’ll wait at least 7, right?)

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:42 pm said:

8 months, just for you.

Nah, we don’t plan on doing anything like that. We do plan on releasing free updates, though.

+ ANIMATOR_CP4E on April 6th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

YES! I’m buying Skullgirls DAY ONE! Can’t wait!

Also, will the Skullgirls PSN avatars be released alongside the game? I’d like to buy all of the avatars too.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:42 pm said:

Avatars take a long time to approve, so unfortunately they won’t be released alongside the game. We are working on them, though, and they should be a great value and have a lot of variety.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

Oh, and thanks in advance for your purchase!

+ Kasaix on April 6th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

Totally getting this day one.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

Thanks so much! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

+ DeathHeart_86 on April 6th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

where is the Vita version? I will only buy it for my Vita!!!

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

No plans for a Vita version yet, but I’m letting our publisher know that pretty much everybody is asking for one.

+ goldenbird15 on April 6th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

awesome, day one purchase for sure.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

Your business is appreciated!

+ SpiritThief on April 6th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

I can’t help but be skeptical about fighters anymore. Blazblue was great, MK was solid but Capcom has all but killed my faith in the genre.

I still plan on getting this but be warned. Pulling that crapcom micro BS…either give me the entire game or let ME…again ME unlock things. Not my wallet.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:49 pm said:

We’ll have some DLC colors and characters in the future, but there are colors and stages to unlock in the game, too.

+ guitalex2007 on April 6th, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

$15 is steep!? For a fighting game?

Let me put it in perspective:

1) For $15, you get a game with no annoying, overpowered comeback mechanics.
2) For $15, you get a game where you won’t get stuck in high/low unblockable situations.
3) For $15, you get a game where you won’t get infinitely looped into death combos because you got hit once.
4) For $15, you get an almost infinite variety of assists thanks to its custom assist feature.
5) For $15, you get more than just 8 alternate colors.
6) For $15, you can have 90+ possible matchups, even if it’s just 8 characters, thanks to its ratio system.
7) For $15, you get a game designed by a tournament player, with proper training mode and practice room features.
8) For $15, you get a streamlined online interface with GGPO done right.
9) For $15, you get a game with 8 completely unique characters that aren’t clones of each other.

Most importantly,
10) For $15, you won’t get a game that will be immediately made obsolete by a sequel a few months later.

There’s something wrong with your head if a fully-featured fighting game for $15 is somehow considered STEEP.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

guitalex2007 thos are not good reasons. 15 is to steep. name a few more reasons and maybe, just maybe il get it. :)

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:50 pm said:

There are about 1400 reasons per character – 2D animation of this quality isn’t cheap!

+ octus on April 6th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

i agree with spiritthief, i want to unlock the stuff in the game with my own ability, and not real life money. please dont follow in capcoms footsteps.

+ guitalex2007 on April 6th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

If those aren’t good reasons for you, then don’t bother.

This game wasn’t made with your wallet in mind. $15 for a fighting game is extremely inexpensive.

Or would you rather have Street Fighter x Tekken, pay $60 and have infinite combos?

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, pay $40 and only face the same handful of characters online, and die if you get hit once by means of a long, inescapable combo that they will just repeat on the next character until you lose?

Soul Calibur V for $60? Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition v2012 for $40?

Hell, why don’t you tell me of the existence of a fighting game in the current generations that is less than $15? $15 is the price of a ticket to see a movie.

Would you rather pay $15 for a fair fighting game? Or keep paying $60 for games that are imbalanced, don’t teach you anything, and have locked content in the disc that you’ll have to pay more for?

+ Sekoku on April 6th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

$15 and it’s going to have online win achievements just like Capcom fighters, I’m guessing.

Mmmmm… pass. Guilty Gear: XX: Accent Core+ AND Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown are rumored to be hitting in the summer. I’ll check Skullgirls demo out, but I’m more hyped toward those than a new IP, honestly.

+ guitalex2007 on April 6th, 2012 at 3:23 pm said:

@29, none of the achievements are online.

+ tyzhev on April 6th, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

yes another fighting game to get good at

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

guitalex2007 how do you know if all those possitives you mentioned wont show up in the full game ? i will play the demo first before i spend an extra 5. i know demos dont always give a game justice but it will have an impack on my decision.

+ shogun00 on April 6th, 2012 at 5:50 pm said:

Wow! It’s going to be a busy downloading day next Tuesday. Definitely a day one purchase for me.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 6:52 pm said:

Thank you so much!

+ guitarded77 on April 6th, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

@ antiheroforhire
Thank’s for sharing your opinion even though I didn’t ask for it… now BLOW!!!

+ PainOfSarrow on April 6th, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

Peter Bartholow those reasons are much better. il be sure to pick this up now :)

+ warriorprincess8 on April 6th, 2012 at 7:42 pm said:

Day 1 purchase for me, this game has been on my radar for awhile. Would also love to purchase a Skullgirls fight stick, please tell me they will be available to purchase? I would love to play this game on the Ps Vita, that would also be a day 1 buy for me if it is released. Can’t wait to fight with Peacock she is my fav!

+ Peter Bartholow on April 6th, 2012 at 8:43 pm said:

Thanks so much!

Hopefully after the game is out, the sales numbers will pique the interest of Madcatz and we can get some reasonably-priced sticks for everyone to buy!

+ WashroomNinja on April 6th, 2012 at 8:10 pm said:

I have been waiting for this game for a long while. This is my dream game, with it’s artistic design, the characters personalities, the way the game is functioned, it’s just perfect. I’m overflowed with joy… YAY WOHOOO FINALLY!!!
Though I feel guilty for paying such a small cost of $15 for such an awesome game. Also… iwanttoknowaboutthebossthatissupposedlyinthegame.IthinkIhaveagoodIdeaofwhoitis.Willtheybeadlceventually?enoughsaid,Ican’tsaytoomuch…

+ Clyde158 on April 6th, 2012 at 8:24 pm said:

The second this game hits PSN stores…i’ll be the first one to download it and then straight to practice mode!

+ Izanagi-no-Okami on April 6th, 2012 at 10:28 pm said:

That is one nice looking fight stick there. Wish I could get it.

But yeah, looking forward to getting the game this next Tuesday. Can’t wait to try out Valentine.

+ shuro345 on April 6th, 2012 at 11:41 pm said:

Definitely a day one purchase on my end as well. Is the demo out right now or do we have to wait a little longer? If it is out, best believe I shall go download it now.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 8th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

The demo will be released the same time the game is – the semi-usual trial/unlock model you see with a lot of games.

And thanks in advance for your purchase! It really means a lot to us.

+ shuro345 on April 6th, 2012 at 11:43 pm said:

Also, my friend will laugh when he sees this trailer. I think he is the only one in my group of friends who knows the little shooting game shown in this trailer. xD

+ Peter Bartholow on April 8th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

…Are we really that old? I thought everyone knew that. :\

+ The-Sigma-Alpha on April 7th, 2012 at 2:06 am said:

Can ‘t wait to buy it. I will be waiting on those dlc characters/avatars too. Can we get a dynamic or regular theme too while you all are at it?lol

+ Kchow23 on April 7th, 2012 at 3:59 am said:

Since there will be DLC characters… how much will each one cost or will they be free? Moreover, any plans for themes for the PS3 or at least a few images at PS Vita resolution for us to use as background?

P.S If a PS Vita version did ever happen would be great if it had cross-platform playability with the PS3 version!

+ Peter Bartholow on April 8th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

DLC characters won’t be free, but we don’t know what the price will be yet. They’ll be cheaper than BlazBlue’s, though!

I don’t see any reason why cross-platform online play with the Vita wouldn’t be possible, but… would it be unfair? Vita controls would probably not be as good, especially if you’re up against someone with a stick.

+ Genexi2 on April 7th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Holy crap, it’s about time. Been waiting over a year for this.

+ romeyo007 on April 7th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Is the Demo for skullgirls already out? I can’t find it on PSN.

+ Peter Bartholow on April 8th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

Not yet – it’ll be out at the same time the game is released.

+ E_Darkness on April 7th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

I’ve been waiting ages for this :D
Shame that I can’t get it yet because EU PSN. Not happy about that :(
How many weeks will this be or will like Trine 2 again and I’ll be waiting around 3 months?

+ Peter Bartholow on April 8th, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

We’re still waiting to hear from SCEE, but I’m confident it won’t be anywhere near 3 months.

+ shuro345 on April 7th, 2012 at 2:21 pm said:

For those wondering, I assume the demo will be out the same day the game release on said system. (aka Ps3 on April 10th and Xbox on April 11th)

+ romeyo007 on April 7th, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

if that the case, i don’t need the Demo since i will be buying the game the day it’s comes out

+ Peter Bartholow on April 8th, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

Seriously, thanks so much!

+ shuro345 on April 7th, 2012 at 3:29 pm said:

Pretty much lol

+ Sevyne on April 7th, 2012 at 7:08 pm said:

The fact that I am seeing people say $15 for a full fledged, fully featured, amazingly crafted, and beautifully animated fighting game is expensive? Did you want it for free or something? I swear some people are so cheap.

PAGE 1 2