PS4-The Order

Long Live Play PSN Community Spotlight

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Apr 07, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Welcome everyone to the debut of Long Live Play PSN Community Spotlight! Since the announcement that the gates were open on the PlayStation Community Forums to send in your PlayStation story; we’ve seen a flood of great stories related to PlayStation gaming and we’re happy to now debut with a post from PSN Member the_mdt, who is now the recipient of a $50 PlayStation Store voucher code. From here on, every Saturday we’ll have a new PSN member to spotlight.

the_mdt-psnid

the_mdt recalls a story that many of us are familiar with, yet is all his own. PlayStation today is a household name, but to those who have been able to be gaming with PlayStation since the first console, it’s more than a name. For long time fans, PlayStation weaves itself into the events in our real life and can frame how we look back on those times. Check out his story.

(Real) Life with PlayStation
I don’t recall the exact year it happened – I’d like to think it was 1998 or 1999. One Christmas morning, I remember seeing a box under the tree addressed to me and my older brother, with three small flat gifts next to it tagged to each of us specifically. We never really received anything great during the holidays past – my mom was floating between jobs after divorcing my dad, and at the time even he had fallen out of luck with his work and ended up unemployed, unable to support us. When we opened the package and found our own PlayStation, the feeling was unreal.

2003. Times were rough – My job changed owners and the new bosses didn’t want to schedule me the hours I had previously been pulling down, my girlfriend’s job closed down forcing her to find a new job, and at one point I worked two jobs day and night just to barely pay for rent and utilities. We seemed to not see each other all that much aside from the car rides to and from our jobs. The only thing that kept me going at this point was being able to come home and unwind with the second Ratchet & Clank game, Going Commando, and the title stays as one of my favorite games for the system for being both outrageously fun and at points nail-bitingly hard. (That glider level! Oh, that glider level!)

2010. The PlayStation 3 had been out for some time again. It was my mother who came in again to save the day on Christmas. After the presents with my family had all been handled, it was clear that more attention had been given to my older brother who had not only just purchased a house but was about to have a baby with his wife. I was clearly left out in comparison. After he had left, my mom asked me to wait and then handed me a large amount of money. “We know you wanted a PS3, and we didn’t want to tell your brother we were getting you one in case he got jealous. Use this to buy yourself one.”

2012. I picked up the PS Vita. It was the first ever game system, let alone portable game system, that I’ve ever owned on its launch date let alone its launch month. I drove home, set up my 3G account, and continued to run around my house taking pictures for the “Hello Face” cube in Welcome Park. I played the demo for Uncharted: Golden Abyss, pleased with the way the touch screen played instead of using the jumps and analog controls, and was incredibly amused at how the sniper rifle scope moved with a turn of the console. Being my first dabbling in Augmented Reality, I was endlessly entertained with the three free games, most importantly Cliff Diver. I watched as I laid a card on my desk as the tabletop sank in, filled with water, and a plank sprouted up from nothing to which a man on a helicopter flew gracefully onto. The graphics, the screen – it just signals a new era of gaming. The whole experience was by far the coolest thing I had ever seen a portable game device do, and I’m excited for the promise of new things to come.

It seems like a long trip – from being at my parents house playing Ape Escape to living on my own with my girlfriend and our cat, playing Portal 2 together through the link with the Steam network. Just knowing about upcoming titles for the systems gets me anxious. Wherever I end up, I know that around the next corner will be a new surprise from PlayStation, and it keeps me playing to the next level. Long Live Play.

You can check out the_mdt’s original post here. LLP PSN Community Spotlight is an ongoing series which means you’ll continually have the chance to post a great PlayStation story throughout the upcoming months. If your post gets featured on the blog, you’ll be awarded a $50 PlayStation Store voucher. So get writing!

+ Monterossa on April 7th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I’m only lv.5 on PSN

+ Zookey on April 7th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

Congrats the_MDT!!!

+ sekaniy on April 7th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

Glider level on Going Commando I have to check it out. Its been awhile, but I might wait for the HD collection!

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 7th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

CONGRATS the_mdt!!! Woot! Woot!! Great story! I can relate to allot of it!! It’s gonna be hard to top such a great forum post! Hehe! :D

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 7th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

There are a lot of great posts coming; each with their own distinct voice, so week to week I think every post will be just as entertaining.

+ ReptileHand on April 7th, 2012 at 11:14 am said:

Awesome post! Congrats! This is the kind of story I’d like to hear every Saturday =)

Long Live Play! and Long Live Community Spotlights! :P

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 7th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

glad you like it!

+ spideyal on April 7th, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

Wow, that is one story. Well deserved win, I think.
I can’t wait to see more winning “Long Live Play” stories.

+ JG4Horrorshow on April 7th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

Wow, that’s awesome. Congrats man, I gotta give this a try…

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on April 7th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Please do! I’ll be checking in on posts every now and then on this forum space to give any feedback. And these aren’t one-time entries either. Write as many stories as you’d like (don’t over do it though ; ) ) and I’ll be there to help you get your story told on the blog. Just make it unique and all its own.

+ FORMIK on April 7th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

This is an excellent contest and way to give recognition to the community. Great article!

+ Link01 on April 7th, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

You should take a look at the story I posted ;)

+ X_BROCKLEE_X on April 7th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

Great story…well deserved

+ perrandy on April 7th, 2012 at 2:33 pm said:

this is a nice incentive for playstation fans to get together and talk about their experiences all playstation.nice gesture there sony!

+ the_mdt on April 7th, 2012 at 5:22 pm said:

That Glider level was a pain, I tell you. A PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIN!

It’s somewhere near the end of the game. You get the glider pack and you have to maneuver through all of these shapes in a tunnel and you have to do it just right – smacking into anything makes you crash, there’s no recovery. You start from the beginning if you the section if you fail. I don’t recall ever being that frustrated at a game before, and it wasn’t something I could work around like trying to save up bolts for the RYNO to play the final boss or something.

This whole thing is awesome. Came home yesterday to find the codes for a fifty dollar credit. Nostalgia-ing it up with Rayman 3 and The Simpsons Arcade Game (Burned many-a quarter on that one at our local roller rink in elementary school). Thinking about going all out nostalgia and also picking up Dragon’s Lair 1 & 2 as I’ve never played them but love Don Bluth. Also picked up Hustle Kings – Those trick shots! THOSE TRICK SHOTS!

Thanks for having me!

+ crashsmash01 on April 7th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

i’m gonna enter this as well c: in hopes of getting free 50 dollar credit and to give back to the community.

+ Logan22 on April 7th, 2012 at 8:38 pm said:

You know, I never got the $50 PSN voucher that was promised me when I won the Reality Fighters tournament at the Miami Vita Hill Social Clubs. Still feeling pretty sore about that, after such an Epic come back in an Epic Finals.

+ MEGA_MAN_X on April 7th, 2012 at 9:51 pm said:

Helllo Sony I would like expres what has me concerened and my other five close friends, and almost all of my playstation network friends own a Vita we are a little angry with you by the way you are working with the Vita, is too slow we still cant download from our Vitas playstation one games(any) and psp, only some, another thing that hanst been released yet are the aplications Skype, whats happening that skype isnt avaible to be downloaded yet, I hope that for this week is avaible and I would like to know why the other new aplications havent been anounced. Please speak with the Mozilla Firefox company so they develop a better browser for the Vita, or if not a Google Chrome, what we couldnt believe and astonished us was that the Vita doesnt have adobe flash player, and in internet you cant do almost anything without adobe flash player, we cant see videos from websites please in the next update add Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.63, belive me you will make me feel glad and all my friends.

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 7th, 2012 at 11:56 pm said:

This was a really cool post. I can definitely relate to these kind of events throughout my life being connected to Playstation. I may just have to jump into the forums and submit one myself.
Look forward to seeing more of these get PSB recognition. :)

+ fathead170 on April 8th, 2012 at 12:18 am said:

how bout u post peoples ideas for improving the psn through updates. isnt there a whole section where people submit there ideas for patches!

+ CommandingTiger on April 8th, 2012 at 6:47 am said:

Cool.

+ rwlove on April 8th, 2012 at 8:04 pm said:

congratz bro i loved your story

+ Fabolous1earth on April 8th, 2012 at 9:13 pm said:

Wow what a story. I loved it keep it up, I’ll be keeping tabs on this from here on out.

+ Poozilla024 on April 9th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

I love our community such great people here.So many cool positive people.

+ DrZombie on April 9th, 2012 at 8:45 am said:

Cool story!!

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on April 9th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

thankfully they didn’t someone with three hundred platinum trophies or hanna montana trophies. would’ve been a shame.

+ Rocstarr on April 10th, 2012 at 3:04 am said: