PS4 - Destiny

Hands-On: Sound Shapes Brings the deadmau5

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Apr 16, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

It’s no secret that electronica artist deadmau5 signed on with Toronto-based Queasy Games to collaborate on the upcoming PS Vita musical platformer Sound Shapes. But last week we finally tasted the succulent fruits of that creative collaboration. During a media showcase in New York City, Sound Shapes Producer Jason deGroot kindly demonstrated a new set of levels (a “Record” in the game’s lingo) that featured audio effects provided by the mousey maestro and pixelicious art courtesy of indie developer PixelJam. You can analyze the results for yourself below — headphones recommended!

It’s worth noting that deadmau5’s album tracks, such as the pop cut “Ghosts ‘n Stuff,” won’t be appearing in Sound Shapes. And that’s by design: the game’s interactive soundtrack synthesizes with your platforming progress, making each “performance” a unique arrangement. But deadmau5’s sounds, loops, and rhythms are showcased in a dedicated set of levels. Better yet, his library will be available when it comes time to construct custom levels, so you’ll be free to cobble together a Girl Talk-esque composition or build a custom remix using your favorite sounds.

Though deadmau5 and PixelJam are the first publicly announced contributors to Sound Shapes, they definitely won’t be the last. Other designers and artists will also be contributing to Sound Shapes, with further details to be announced leading up to the game’s upcoming launch. “Each world is a different experience from the last in terms of art, music, and gameplay,” DeGroot explained. “It’s like putting on a Daft Punk record and then putting on a Black Sabbath record. They’re very different vibes.”

36 Comments

+ G-Force08 on April 16th, 2012 at 1:06 pm said:

I love how this game is turning out.

I’m really looking forward to getting it for my Vita. Any release date yet? Or at least time frame?

+ Esena on April 16th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

Amazing! Release date!?

+ Shadow_Kamui on April 16th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

This game looks Amazing.

Release date???

+ Reluctant-Hero on April 16th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

Yes, release date please..

+ tazmania91 on April 16th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

If There’s a Daft Punk contribution, it will certainly be the most anticipated game of 2012 ! :)

My list for contributors:

- Daft Punk
- Fatboy Slim
- Avicii
- David Guetta
- Martin Solveig
- The Glitch Mob
- Justice
- Skrillex

You need to make that game more than AWESOME ! It needs to be a tribute for electronic music and all DJs !

+ JesteR1701one on April 16th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

Looks really cool. Cant wait to play this!

+ burningwind on April 16th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

Ugh, dubstep is lame.

+ Shibi32 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Looks great, and its kinda refreshing to see a demonstration where the player makes mistakes/ is not perfect.

+ GODFATHERTIG on April 16th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

LAME! 0 out of five come on with the real games and unlock the potential of the vitaalready aree you kidding ME? GEEEZ!

+ boxmyth on April 16th, 2012 at 3:13 pm said:

That song. It’s stuck in my head.

+ DaMann22 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:20 pm said:

Went to the Atlanta PSVITA hill social club and this is what I played the majority of the time. Really cant wait for this game to come out as its my most anticipated among all the upcoming vita games.

I heard from one of the other blog post this past week that its still targeted for a MAY release. WHEN IS IT EXACTLY?

+ D-Squad3 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:22 pm said:

Just waiting for more Vita games, not much to play right now…

+ Robbie_G_lrish on April 16th, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

@9 Some people like unique and interesting games like this. If all you care about is polygon count and textures you’re going to miss out on some of the best games ever made.

+ Zeruel36 on April 16th, 2012 at 4:28 pm said:

One of the games I bought my Vita for. Love the concepts and sounds.

My only concern is the stutters I see in every clip I’ve seen of this game since it’s original showing. Are these stutters a part of the gameplay that I’m missing or are they load hiccups? Example being right at the beginning 0:20, 0:27, 0:39, etc. I understand “Beta” but I figure it’s a pretty nasty flaw (if it is a flaw) and should be kinked out by now.

Would love a response to reassure my hopes for this amazing looking game.

+ epizzati on April 16th, 2012 at 4:55 pm said:

does anybody have an idea on the price for this?

+ Midgetguy on April 16th, 2012 at 5:26 pm said:

I would absolutely love it if The Knife or Fever Ray were contributors.

Additionally, Dormilon (The guy who made the music for the Playstation Blogcast Episodes) would be a GREAT fit for this kind of game!

So, those are my 3 hopeful picks for Sound Shapes. = )

+ Zezzler on April 16th, 2012 at 6:22 pm said:

Wow.
Each time i see this game it looks better, and better each time.

I guess that this is something we should all be expecting since it’s coming out of Toronto, amirite?
I kid, but really, the folks at queasy and everyone else helping/contributing to this masterpiece deserve all of the amazing praise and really should be getting more attention imo.

I really might have to just buckle and get a Vita at this point. i REALLY want to play this game.

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on April 16th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

This game looks AMAZING!!! cant wait to get it.

+ Grexotic on April 16th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

Cool. Wasn’t able to load video on my connection but hoping to see this at the store soon!

+ La_maravich_22 on April 16th, 2012 at 7:35 pm said:

Please enable flash payer. DID YOU HAVE ANY PLANS TO MAKE MORE APPS OR TALK WITH OTHERS DEVELOPERS TO MAKE MORE APPS? WHAT KIND OF APPS? YOUTUBE , INSTAGRAM, GOGGLE +, SHAZAM. I WILL PAY FOR THE MENTION APPS. PLEASE ENABLE TO SEND PICTURES BETWEEN PS3 USERS AN PS VITA USERS. MONSTER HUNTER, RESIDENT EVIL, GRAN TURISMO, GRAN THEFT AUTO, CALL OF DUTY, ASSASINS CREED, BIOSHOCK, FINAL FANTASY ARE IMPORTANT TO INCREASE THE SELLS OF THE PS VITA AGAINST THE NINTENDO 3DS. WHATS NEW ON THE NEW NETFLIX UPDATE VER. 2.07? WHATS NEW AFTER.THE PSN MAINTENANCE? DID YOU HAVE PLANS TO RELEASED MORE APPS TO THE PS3?
CAN YOU TALK WITH GOOGLE TO HELP YOU TO MAKE A BETTER BROWSER, MORE COMPETITIVE WITH THE ACTUALLY BROWSER THAT ARE NOW ON THE TABLETS AND SMARTPHONES?

+ TheTwelve on April 16th, 2012 at 8:08 pm said:

Hawt. All over this.—12

+ alx681 on April 16th, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

that looks awesome.. cant wait for this.. any chance or a release date ? release month maybe ??

+ Hooligantuan on April 16th, 2012 at 9:44 pm said:

Looks like a neat game that I would have to mute.

+ madhukrishna9999 on April 16th, 2012 at 10:03 pm said:

hi test

+ madhukrishna9999 on April 16th, 2012 at 10:07 pm said:

nice

+ KarateKidd on April 16th, 2012 at 10:40 pm said:

Was this level’s music made my Deadmou5 himself or did the creators use Deadmou5′s “sounds” and riffs to make the music?

+ FourLetterWord- on April 16th, 2012 at 11:04 pm said:

When did Samus start listening to techno? Or am I the only one that is reminded of Metroid when I see this?

Seriously though, looks fun and challenging.

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 17th, 2012 at 4:19 am said:

I would really like more details on this PSVita game. I would love a release date and a DEMO… Who wouldn’t? Hehe! :P Anyway… This little demo video really caught my attention. Thx again PSBlog! Woot! :)

+ jazhers on April 17th, 2012 at 7:24 am said:

Its looking really good. Looking forward to this title !!!!

+ camiwaits_us on April 17th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

I can buy this now, yes?

+ JdyVexes on April 17th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

Can we share our music that we make on sound shapes just like how Modnaton Racers share their user-created tracks?

+ Maks_Wins on April 17th, 2012 at 4:06 pm said:

Reminds me of the little dust sprites in Totoro and Spirited Away :3

+ madhukrishna9999 on April 18th, 2012 at 2:20 am said:

Good one

+ angibri2000 on April 18th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

I must say, I never realized how engulfed you can become with a game when the music is as much part of the game as the gameplay. I got Lumines when I got my Vita and I gotta tell ya, even though I got all but 2 trophies on it I still I love putting on headphones and playing it to jam out to the tracks. Sounds shapes sounds like another game I’ll be playing for a while. Gotta give it to Sony in regards to the riskiness they take on some of these game titles, love that about them! Keep up the good work Sony! =)

+ leithal7 on April 18th, 2012 at 8:00 pm said:

Not at all a fan of this electronic/dubstep people try and call music. Any Rock/Alternative Rock going to be in this game?

+ auroraError on April 20th, 2012 at 5:42 am said:

Deadmau5 has to be one of the most talented people on the planet. I just started making my own music (using Dr Drum – http://beatartisan.com/review/dr-drum/ ) and his work is extremely inspiring to me. The way he dominates the stage with his energy and passion is really infectious!