Tearaway Unfolded

Apr 24

Skype PS Vita

PS Vita Gets Skype Video and Voice Calling Today

Manrique Brenes's Avatar Posted by Manrique Brenes on Apr 24, 2012 // Senior Director, Consumer Electronics Group at Skype

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

Hi everyone! My name is Manrique Brenes and I’m the senior director of the consumer electronics group at Skype. We’ve very happy to announce that the Skype Video and Voice calling app for PS Vita will be available later today on PlayStation Store.

Starting later today, you can enjoy free Skype calls on PS Vita. You’ll be able to keep in touch with gamers around the globe while you’re on the go as Skype is available for both the 3G/Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi models.

The Skype app includes free Skype-to-Skype voice calling, as well as high-quality video calling that utilizes PS Vita’s front and rear cameras. The Skype app on PS Vita runs in “background mode” while you’re gaming or using other applications* — meaning you have the capability to “pause” a game, conduct a call and then return to your previous activity — so you never miss a call. Plus, with a little Skype credit you can make low-cost calls to landlines and mobile directly from your PS Vita.

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

As you know, PS Vita is equipped with a 5” OLED touchscreen, dual analog sticks, precise rear touch pad, two cameras and a built-in microphone that can be used with any Skype-certified headset.

To help walk you through the application, check out the video with our friend, fellow game enthusiast Fatal1ty.

Please visit www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-ps-vita for more information on Skype features for PS Vita. For feedback or questions please visit Skype Support. Happy gaming!

* Certain games/applications will not be able to “pause” during a call.”

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Matrix_Lion on April 24th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

@ luvtoseek thanks

+ GGCAN on April 24th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

@69 – Bigcalv2002.

The Wifi Vita model can be tethered to a cell phone.

One of my friends in Vancouver is doing it without any hassles since the Vita was launched in Canada.

Also, it will save you the cost of having two plans…one for your cellphone and one for the Vita. With tethering to your cell, you’ll only need the one plan.

With the way our carriers work up here, it may take some time before Canada gets a service provider to support the 3G Vita.

+ Elvick_ on April 24th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

@73; I can attest to that. I use my boyfriend’s iPhone to tether my PSVita to his 3G and it works fine.

+ Kchow23 on April 24th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

The video explaining how Skype works felt really half-assed, but looking forward to trying it out! Does the app improve the camera quality of the PS Vita?

+ John-Shooter on April 24th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

about time guys.. you only had ad’s w/ it in them for how long?

+ Dominus_Seph on April 24th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

I’m very happy that we’re getting more Applications added onto the Vita, really I am…
…but where are the PSOne games?

It’s great that you’re getting third parties to support the Vita, but honestly I’m never going to use Skype on my Vita at all. With the low camera resolution and the trend for games to max out the CPU/GPU, forcing the Network Connection to drop anyway…I don’t see a use for it. I’m sure there’s a small market of people who don’t have something that can handle Skype already….but I don’t think they are PS Vita owners.

Nice addition though, but where are the core features for this device that we’re still missing?

PSOne Games
Expanded PSP Game range (Really, still not supporting most of the games I have??)
PS3 Remote Play (Playing GAMES from the device, not just remote controlling it)

For a gaming console….we’re lacking a lot of the games that should be an easy tie in, especially seeing as we’ve come to a slow trickle of games now.

Before any of you comment “Oh, but you can load it from your PS3! Herpy Derpy!” Well, sure, yes I can. Why should I have to go a backroute in order to put the game on my system though? What about the people who don’t have a PS3?

+ Nick930930 on April 24th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

@ 77

Playing PS1 games is fun for about maybe 20 minutes and then you realize…wait.. I beat this…and bought new consoles so I could actually play NEW games.

Remote Play was somethign I had hoped for but I heard rumour that the PS3 can’t handle the memory or something so as usual.. Sony straight up lied about a product feature.. and extremely important one at that. Developers aren’t going to hop on the remote play bandwaggon when they can just republish the same game and steal our money (MORTAL KOMBAT -_-)

There are currently SEVERAL PSP games available. I personally don’t have any, but there’s at least 10x more PSP titles available on the vita than there are Vita games. My Modnation PSP game i got for free with the blackout is one of the games that doesnt work, but personaly I don’t really care much because PSP games just…suck. Sorry. I’d rather they start cranking out some more Vita games so I don’t look more retarded for having purchased a $300 console with no games to play.

Skype is a step in the right direction. Considering this was a feature promised to us at release…only took 2 months. Thank you Skype for taking your sweet time -_-

+ Ryusennin on April 24th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

Shame the PS3 still hasn’t got this yet.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on April 24th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

So much things for the Vita, while nothing for the PS3… It’s pretty sad.

+ Squiggle55 on April 24th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

@1 The answer to your question is PS1 Classics compatibility and a fix for the PS+ minis not working on Vitas in North America. These 2 things should be whined about until they are fixed. After that people should whine about the fact that PSN and retail games of the future should be remote-play compatible. Especially first party games.

+ lachula14 on April 24th, 2012 at 12:09 pm said:

What time will it come out the suspence is killing me

+ NikTheGeek on April 24th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Ok, giz a clue. Where is it? Nothing showing up in the PS store for me. Nothing showing up on a search in the PS store either….

+ lachula14 on April 24th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

ITS OUT ON PS STORE…………………………………………………..naw just playing

+ Budapesti on April 24th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

Awkward and embarrassing video, or MOST awkward and embarrassing video ever???

+ tusunami on April 24th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

Can i get a hoooorah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Sir_H3X3N on April 24th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

Can you give us a hint of what time it will be on the PS Store today?

+ davischango2405 on April 24th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

cant wait 2 try out the skype on the vita omg yeah i love u playstation

+ vivalavidaloca on April 24th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

Vita? What about PS3? people has been asking this application for years..!!

+ TUSTIN1 on April 24th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

@7 @62 @68 The reason this was not in ‘the Drop’ is because it’s not a game, simple as that.

Only game releases are featured there which is why you won’t see DLC, sales or apps featured.

+ NikTheGeek on April 24th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

“Today” is nearly over….

+ TMAZT3R on April 24th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

Please sony bring html5 video so we can stop this youtube madness, also the remote play whiners.

+ FORMIK on April 24th, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

What a great addition! It looks like a lot of effort was made to make it seamless and take advantage of the Vita capabilities.

Here are my suggestion for the Vita, since this type of forum is often where people pitch their thoughts:

– Let’s get a Sony Reader app! Consumers could purchase e-books from the PlayStation Store to read on the app. The Reader app is already available on Sony Tablets.

– This is the first external communications app for the Vita. For the sake of streamlining, could you combine the internal Messaging and Party apps into one app?

+ Nikocity1 on April 24th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Can’t wait for the app. i will finally to use vita for calls. for some reason, i think it will be better on here than on ipod for some reason.

+ pa101902 on April 24th, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

PSN store on VIta has been updated dling now!!!!

+ davischango2405 on April 24th, 2012 at 1:06 pm said:

and i would like to know when is skype coming out for playstation 3

+ hjason1 on April 24th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

@etur0 No they still do flash for everything…
They just updated flash on android last week…

I can’t believe they put this on the vita and not the ps3…
I guess their excuse for not putting it on the ps3 is the ps3 don’t have enough memory or something..
ms is putting it on the crapbox as well…

+ NikTheGeek on April 24th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

Still nothing in the UK – come on hurry up, it’s bed time soon on this side of the pond :)

+ AndreaB on April 24th, 2012 at 2:06 pm said:

Too early to rejoice
As soon as I connected I got a message telling me:

Skype has run out of memory because you have too many contacts.
You will now be signed out.

Was test done for this piece of software?

In this state it is useless to me….

+ Remmulak on April 24th, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

Please add Skype chat, sorely disappointed it doesn’t have it.

+ Kchow23 on April 24th, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

Will the ability to chat with just text be included later on? calling and video calling is great, but would be great if I could just chat as well.

+ IIL0YDII on April 24th, 2012 at 2:30 pm said:

Um why Skype doesn’t have text chat?

+ Remmulak on April 24th, 2012 at 2:35 pm said:

Sorry….I apologize for my comment @102. I should have said thanks for the Skype Voice calling. Don’t get me wrong. I was just hoping that Text chat would have been included. Hopefully this is something you can add in the future.

+ Strife305 on April 24th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

This is an awesome addition but it is not working for me. I am getting the same error message as many others:

Skype has run out of memory because you have too many contacts.
You will now be signed out.

Hopefully this can be fixed so the rest of us can enjoy using skype.

+ blakseed on April 24th, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

Nice. Now on to the next complaint.

+ GGCAN on April 24th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

Working great for me and I have about 20-30 friends on Skype (even the landline calling is working great).

Wondering how many Skype friends these people that are having loading problems have.

+ ModestGeek on April 24th, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

Yay for Skype!!

+ juv1000 on April 24th, 2012 at 4:05 pm said:

heyy i have a big prob with the skype app ummm i just downloaded it and i tryed logging in and it told me had had to meny contacts so it logged me out so does this mean i cant use the app at all??????????????????? please help

+ La_maravich_22 on April 24th, 2012 at 4:09 pm said:

This app is the best app that i have seen on the PS Vita. Great Job Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ AkiTsugi on April 24th, 2012 at 4:22 pm said:

Some things missing from Skype APP. Add Contacts… (I can sneak by this one kinda) and able to call people not in your contact list.

+ xLokisama on April 24th, 2012 at 4:40 pm said:

I just downloaded the Skype app. How do I chat and game at the same time? Skype disconnect calls when the PS button is pressed.

+ La_maravich_22 on April 24th, 2012 at 4:41 pm said:

Long Live Vitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ lionraj on April 24th, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

I also have a problem with skype like some of the people here. It says running out of memories because I have too many contacts. I have 174 contacts on my skype. Hope it get fixed soon. I don’t want to delete my contacts just to make skype works on my Vita.

+ jimfear on April 24th, 2012 at 4:48 pm said:

Why there is no Instant Messaging on skype?

+ shrimpdude on April 24th, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

No instant messaging/text chat? Is there a reason this was left out? It’s kind of annoying when the person talking to me is sending me messages, but is given no indication that I can’t receive them.

+ Strife305 on April 24th, 2012 at 5:18 pm said:

@ lionraj
It really has nothing to do with the amount of skype contacts, though that is what the error states. I only have 13 contacts on my list and I get the same error message. Even deleted and re-installing does nothing. Hopefully they will release a fix soon to fix this issue.

+ RSavage86 on April 24th, 2012 at 5:18 pm said:

Love the Skype app i used it on 3G and it still worked good once the Video warmed up. My only problem is i cant add contacts or call anyone who isnt on my list. Also, my Skype app seems slightly different from my friends. I dont have the little video in the corner of myself and he does. I have a button that can expand or shrink the video and he doesnt have that.

+ Type-F- on April 24th, 2012 at 6:42 pm said:

OMG I just tried Skype and it’s even better than my Samsung Galaxy S2!!! Thanks for the update Sony I’m really happy with this app because I use it a lot :D

+ Sarahbelles on April 24th, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

Feedback time…

1. No chat? what are you thinking guys?
2. No way to filter contacts (all, online, etc.)
3. Only way to search is by scrolling alphabetically.

I don’t think these features are too much to ask and shouldn’t affect performance in any way. Just got lazy in programming I guess.

Hate to complain so much but I can’t help is if BASIC features are missed.

Anyways, still glad Skype finally arrived and hope to get updates soon.

+ Pete41608 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:15 pm said:

Just tried it out. Works GREAT. You can tell they really took their time to make this RIGHT! GREAT JOB!! :)

+ miiboy on April 24th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

I have a major problem with this app.

When I downloaded this it was working great but….
a few time later it crashed my router and I can’t connect to the internet for a half hour.

It keeps doing this.