PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PS Vita Gets Skype Video and Voice Calling Today

Manrique Brenes's Avatar + Posted by Manrique Brenes on Apr 24, 2012 // Senior Director, Consumer Electronics Group at Skype

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

Hi everyone! My name is Manrique Brenes and I’m the senior director of the consumer electronics group at Skype. We’ve very happy to announce that the Skype Video and Voice calling app for PS Vita will be available later today on PlayStation Store.

Starting later today, you can enjoy free Skype calls on PS Vita. You’ll be able to keep in touch with gamers around the globe while you’re on the go as Skype is available for both the 3G/Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi models.

The Skype app includes free Skype-to-Skype voice calling, as well as high-quality video calling that utilizes PS Vita’s front and rear cameras. The Skype app on PS Vita runs in “background mode” while you’re gaming or using other applications* — meaning you have the capability to “pause” a game, conduct a call and then return to your previous activity — so you never miss a call. Plus, with a little Skype credit you can make low-cost calls to landlines and mobile directly from your PS Vita.

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

As you know, PS Vita is equipped with a 5” OLED touchscreen, dual analog sticks, precise rear touch pad, two cameras and a built-in microphone that can be used with any Skype-certified headset.

To help walk you through the application, check out the video with our friend, fellow game enthusiast Fatal1ty.

Please visit www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-ps-vita for more information on Skype features for PS Vita. For feedback or questions please visit Skype Support. Happy gaming!

* Certain games/applications will not be able to “pause” during a call.”

PAGE 1 2 3

+ JimmyHACK on April 24th, 2012 at 6:05 am said:

YAY! Good store update week coming our way. Now i wonder what the comment trolls will cry about….. see comments below to find out :)

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

Thanks, JimmyHACK. Be sure to download the application as soon as it’s available!

+ etur0 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:07 am said:

Awesome and about time also I thought this was suppose to be a launch app

+ JTLB925 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:10 am said:

That looks really cool!

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

It is! Can’t wait for you to try it out!

+ AndreaB on April 24th, 2012 at 6:16 am said:

Finally – it was about time….
Bravo!

+ BiezulbubBill69 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:17 am said:

Awesome news can’t wait to try it out!!!

+ langdon on April 24th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

Awesome! Just need an HTML5 browser on my Vita now, and I can do something crazy like cancel my Verizon contract and get rid of my Android phone.

+ RidleysBox on April 24th, 2012 at 6:20 am said:

Oh look, something that wasn’t in “The Drop” that so many people complained about not coming out this week.

+ thunderbear on April 24th, 2012 at 6:23 am said:

Awesome news! I was hoping this would happen and it did. I use Skype all the time and this is fantastic news for me.

+ dFUSE on April 24th, 2012 at 6:28 am said:

Does it come with trophies? :D

+ etur0 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:28 am said:

@langdon I believe the vita does have HTML5 support

+ Sir_H3X3N on April 24th, 2012 at 6:29 am said:

Haha, I have called Sony about this multiple times over the past two months, And if i remember correctly, it was only a few days back that i last called and asked about the Skype app, People at the call box do not know jack about what is coming and they never know until it is actually, out, If they are lucky lol, But Bravo Bravo, I am VERY happy that Skype is finally going to be out on the Vita, Now the only two main things people need is HTML 5 Browsing and also PS1/PlayStation Classic’s being compatible with the Vita, Such as the oh i would say 3 or 4 games i spent a total of around 60$ to play yea?

+ MI_Titan27 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:30 am said:

Thank u, now most people will quit complaining on these forums!!

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on April 24th, 2012 at 6:33 am said:

Any chance of a update to PS3′s firmware to allow for Streaming Vita games to PS3?

+ MK24ever on April 24th, 2012 at 6:35 am said:

Will this come to Europe at the same time?

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

The Skype application will be available in Europe on April 25. Be sure to try it out as soon as it’s available on the PlayStation Store. :)

+ SMJ_cuba_AMS on April 24th, 2012 at 6:39 am said:

Any chance the Playstation 3 will get this app?

+ etur0 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:43 am said:

@Sir_H3X3N what I thought the vita had HTML 5 browser I know it doesn’t have flash because of adobe because the stop supporting flash on mobile devices and only focus on flash for pc

+ onslaughtree on April 24th, 2012 at 6:47 am said:

Lmbo. When I saw this update, all I could think of were 2 things. 1) Everyone has been asking for this App, this will make alot of vita owners so happy. 2) Everyone has been asking for this App, lets see what complaint they move on to next. Anyway, great work sony. I too have not upgraded from my PspGo to the Vita. I have over 25 ps1 classics, 15 Psp full games, 30 Minis and I play them alot on my go. So as always, Keep on Gamin.

+ Elvick_ on April 24th, 2012 at 6:49 am said:

@17: Amen, now they’ll just complain about something else… but at least it’s one less thing that I and others have to deal with reading about.

+ Type-F- on April 24th, 2012 at 6:50 am said:

Awesome! I actually use this feature on my phone or pc. It’s cool that you can multi-task with it. Will be pretty awesome when Resistance comes out and cam with my buddies…..I hope one day they add a feature to have it active in the corner while playing so you can see your friend’s reaction when you owning him online. Would be so awesome!!!!!!

+ langdon on April 24th, 2012 at 6:53 am said:

@etur0 It doesn’t have *proper* html5 support. They should just bone up and use webkit. Do some googling, also youtube dot com watch?v=NgnokZ5ygsQ

+ Jimm_West on April 24th, 2012 at 6:53 am said:

OMG SO HYPED!!!!!! Does anybody else notice in the video its an awkward convo between the guy and his friends? lol but anyway FINALLY SKYPE!!!!!! Now i wonder if other social networking sites will try to get an app on vita such as ooVoo etc.

+ bharken on April 24th, 2012 at 7:00 am said:

BOOM! The best app so far for the PS Vita! Viva la Vita! :)

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Viva la Vita indeed, bharken! Can’t wait for you to try out the app. :)

+ DarkOne_PR on April 24th, 2012 at 7:10 am said:

thanks for this sony keep the good work!

+ Firepowerr on April 24th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

There it is for all you Vita nay-sayers. JUST BE PATIENT, and you will get what you want. :)

+ mystery_sk8er on April 24th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

OK, now I all need is for Sony to let us change our ID either free like Steam or for a small fee like XBL.
I have to much purchased items tied up to this account to make a new one.

+ tylerh1701 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

Thank you, finally! Now people can STFU about it!

+ nv_Los on April 24th, 2012 at 7:24 am said:

Hell Yeah!

+ Viewtiful_Josh on April 24th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

Aww, I know I’m not supposed to say this but F**K YEAH!!! It’s seemed like forever waiting for this thing! SO excited. Thaaaank you!

+ revolutionx88 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

Great, another app that I’ll enjoy using. :)

+ jd1900 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

Too bad I can’t get it. I even used Skype from my PSP, but now I can’t, just because my country has no access to PS Store. I can’t download anything: no Twitter, no Facebook, NO GAMES!

Please Sony! Fix this! Every country needs at least a “Lite” version of the store. It’s even more important now -with the multimedia capabilities of the Vita- than it was before.

(HELP ME (US)! http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4679982)

+ dimy93 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:31 am said:

no skype chat????

+ RoyalStallion on April 24th, 2012 at 7:37 am said:

Finally, now I have fewer reasons to put down my PS Vita!! Now I just need to stream PS3 games to my PS Vita. ( Disgaea 3 Cross-play or save data sharing would work too..)

+ kynam2912 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

I went to PS store but could not find it anywhere, anyone have try it already?

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:52 am said:

It should be available later today. Please stay tuned and thanks for your patience!

+ LordRaoh on April 24th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

Can you chat and play at the same time?

Is this coming to PS3? Next gen Console?

If coming to PS3, group chat (even in home as well) and then launch to game for clans would be nice.

Anxiously awaiting for Youtube App for PS3/VITA as well as Amazon Instant Video for PS VITA.

+ Ra1nMak3r288 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:46 am said:

Cant wait to voice chat over with friends while playing :P

+ dimy93 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

@ kynam2912 most probably is not yet available and u’ll have to wait few more hours till the psn update which occurs at that time every week

+ polo155 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

Iv’e been s Skype in/skype subscriber for at least 5-6 yrs by now as my main phone #.. my new vita cellphone is comeplete …just hope and can text and receive text. that was my only gripe about skype…. Love this news and the social media guy knows ive been dying for this!

+ SarshelYam on April 24th, 2012 at 7:49 am said:

@11 Sir_H3X3N, people at the “Call Box” are not paid to talk about releases, nor is it likely that if they did know, they’d tell you, considering every blog entry here has specific timed releases that are often under NDA’s or release schedules.

+ The5rozos on April 24th, 2012 at 7:50 am said:

No way… there’s video chat too?! I thought for sure there was only going to be voice chat! Awesome, thanks a ton Sony.(or Microsoft… whoever developed the app)

+ ZERO_169 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:50 am said:

Anyone know if this will work over 3g?

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Manrique Brenes on April 24th, 2012 at 3:41 pm said:

Hi there Zero_169 – Yes, Skype for PS Vita works on both WiFi or 3G networks.

Please keep in mind, though, that you may be charged for data use when using a 3G connection. You should contact your operator for more info.

+ loadstone007 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:58 am said:

Wow, this is awesome news!
More new stuff for the Vita please :)

+ Madjod_TH on April 24th, 2012 at 8:03 am said:

It very awesome !!! I wanna cry T_T it a good news for PSvita

+ kynam2912 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:04 am said:

@ dimy93: Thanks ^^

+ NINEK_CRO on April 24th, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

Bring Skype to PS3!

+ dimy93 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

@ ZERO_169 yes it will-it’s stated on the app’s oficial site and I think that was mentioned somewhere in the video
but still o chat is a pity

+ JesteR1701one on April 24th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

Good news! Now we just need HTML5 and/or Flash support for the VITA browser and then we should be all set!

+ D-Squad3 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

Thank YOU for supporting, Vita!

+ wizgamer626 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

can you call/web chat at the same time that you are playing a game

+ kenpachi666 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:23 am said:

skype app for the ps3 ^^
HTML5/flash support for the vita so we can watch videos on the go XD
uhm…. maybe Youtube app is nxt for the month of May???

+ Shy_Guy92 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:36 am said:

Will there be text chat? If not will it be added eventually?

PAGE 1 2 3