PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Rainbow Moon: Watch the New Trailer Now

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar + Posted by Marcus Pukropski on May 04, 2012 // CEO, SideQuest Studios

Last November, I had the opportunity to introduce you to Rainbow Moon, our upcoming strategy RPG for PS3. Since then, we have received amazing feedback from all of you. In the lead up to the release, it gives me great pleasure to tell you more about the game’s battle system. You also have the chance to be one of the first to watch the Rainbow Moon trailer, available first via the PlayStation.Blog.

Although much of Rainbow Moon’s appeal is in its exploration and character development, the battles are what matter most. Akin to our Soldner-X game series, we have taken an innovative approach by combining classical elements with new ideas. An example is the triggering of battle encounters. Random encounters? Yes or no? Well, how about both?! In Rainbow Moon you will find foes roaming the surface of the planet and have a chance to battle in additional random encounters. The latter, however, are 100% optional and can be disregarded if you so decide.

All battles take place on grid-sized maps and are completely turn based. That’s right, just like the good old days: No stress, no chaos. Take your time to observe the situation and make the right move. Up to three party members can encounter a variety of evil beings. There are a number of commands at your disposal. The most important are Move, Attack, (using short or long range standard attacks), Skill (we’ll talk more about this in a moment), Defend, Use an Item, and Escape (all battles can be abandoned during your turn).

PSN Exclusive: Rainbow Moon

Using the right skills at the right time will decide your victory, and there are over 120 special skills of different types you can use throughout your journey. These range from powerful attacks, to support such as healing and other unique skills such as casting light or analyzing enemies. Some skills can be learned by only one of your characters, while others are suitable for multiple characters.

So, how about enemy behaviors? In Rainbow Moon you will encounter around 100 different enemies from 17 classes, each with its own characteristics. Besides attacking you with standard and special attacks, enemies can do a lot more, including casting support skills, focusing their attacks on certain characters, splitting, merging, self-destructing, fleeing, and a few more we will leave for you to discover for yourself.

PSN Exclusive: Rainbow Moon

I will not go into all the details, but I can promise you there’s a lot more than meets the eye. You will find different deployment grids, a wide variety of status conditions (poison and enchantments), weapon affinities, a BIAS system, passive skills, skill levels, speed bonus system, and so on.

As you can see, a great amount of effort and attention to detail has gone into the development of the game. You’ll be happy to hear that Rainbow Moon will be one of the few games on PSN with Platinum Trophy support. In total, you’ll find more than 50 trophies are up for grabs.

There’s a lot more I’d love to share with you. If you want to know more about Rainbow Moon, please make sure to visit the official website and follow us on Facebook at Rainbow Moon will be published on the PlayStation Store by our long-term partner eastasiasoft in just a few weeks.

PS: Please share your thoughts and feel free to ask questions using the comments box below. I’ll be more than happy to get back to you.

PAGE 1 2

+ socksandshoes22 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

The graphical style reminds me a whole lot of Jeanne D’arc, one of my absolutely favorite PSP games. Did any of you guys work on that game, or is that just a coincidence? Can’t wait to give this a try – the PS3 can always use more RPGs

+ jgrizzle358 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

This looks fun, I’m a huge fan of this type of genre, and I will buy this for sure.

+ geist226 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:12 am said:

That’s what I’m talking about! A digital release with a Platinum trophy, and a SRPG with a great-looking art style at that. Kudos, Sony!

+ tanuki-hulk on May 4th, 2012 at 8:12 am said:

this would be great on the vita, which in my opinion could use a little pick me up.

+ Tremulan777 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

interesting I’ll keep my eye on it.

+ Tremulan777 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:16 am said:

it’d be nice if it was also for the vita

+ ReaperXL7 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:22 am said:

Looks pretty awesome, but I, like Tremulan would like to know if there is any chance that we could see this on Vita? I love the Soldner-X games, and SRPGS so this is an easy pick up.

+ langdon on May 4th, 2012 at 8:23 am said:

It’s been said 4 times already, but I came here to say it, so I will.

This would be awesome on Vita.

+ wolverine81 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

I agree this would be great on the Vita. This game looks good so far. What kind of price are we looking at for it?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

Hi guys,

first of all, I would like to thank you for all the feedback.

The price has not been decided so far, but it will be in line with other PSN games, so probably not over 15$.

Regarding to a Vita version, I can’t confirm anything at the moment, but this is under evaluation. Just keep visiting our website during the next months and we keep you updated.

+ Shinriji on May 4th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

As Soldner-X 1 and 2 were fantastic games, hopefully RM is too. Day 1.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

Tank you Shinriji, I’m almost certain you will like this game too if you loved the gaming spirit of our SX titles:)

+ LilWayneSuckz on May 4th, 2012 at 8:30 am said:

I will definitely buy this for PS3. Hopefully you make a Vita version too since this looks perfect for it

+ Zieghardt on May 4th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

Will it have set piece battles with special victory conditions?

+ ZeroSection on May 4th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

This looks really good. One question though, do the characters you get to battle with have classes or do they just equip battle skills? What kind of skills/classes are there to be had?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

There is no job system like in several final fantasy games, however all the monsters and characters have unique skills and properties, so certain characters are very effective for battling certain monsters and bosses.

There’s a huge range of skills in the game, starting with active damage skills (including status condition support), support skills like cure, condition recovery or buff-skills, gameplay skills like casting light or food, very uncommon skills that are allowing the player certain battle strategies up to passive support skills, with extremely mighty effects. This all is combined with a flexible pattern system that even allows combining sub-turns.

In addition, most of the skills will level up and become stronger, every time they are used.

There’s a lot more I could go into detail, so that’s just a rough overview.

+ Anddo on May 4th, 2012 at 8:36 am said:

Color me impressed! Love the art style.

Any chance of this appearing on Vita as well?

+ Lexaus1222 on May 4th, 2012 at 8:37 am said:

I remember this game now! Was wondering where it went to. Anyway it looks like it is shaping up pretty good.
If possible, I’d like to ask a few questions:
1) What was your guys inspiration to design this game? Like more specifically, what where the influences for the gameplay and art direction?
2) How many enemies can we fight at once? Cause that screens shot look like 3 vs 15…?
3) And like other people in this post, was a Vita version ever considered?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

Hi Lexaus1222,

1.) We are all inspired by a lot of games. Dragon Quest, FF-Tactics or NIS games like Disgaea are just a few that we have combined with tons of new ideas and features.

2.) You can face over 40 enemies in a single battle and up to three party members can participate. (Of course with no performance loss, expect 60 fps super-smooth animations.)

3.) Just check my comments above:)

+ ModeSelektor on May 4th, 2012 at 8:47 am said:

Please, a need play this on my PSVita
This would be awesome on PSVita

+ cruzer2 on May 4th, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

sadly gotta be with the rest >> this should be on my vita :P the thing needs a good game to play

+ TheTwelve on May 4th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

Strategy + RPG + PS3 = you can have my money. –12

+ ReaperXL7 on May 4th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

@cruzer

Being fair there are a bunch of great games on vita right now, but sadly with the exception of disgaea 3 and psp games, there are very few rpgs….we need more of them. Luckily Atlus, XSeed, and NIS seem ready to deliver though.

If you guys release this on Vita then you will sell two copies bought by me. I wont bet on it though.

+ DaMann22 on May 4th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Like the first poster, this also reminds me of a mix of jean d’arc and mario rpg with the 2.5 isometric viewpoint. I can’t wait to platinum this. But I feel that this could easily be a vita game also. Please port this to the Vita cuz this would be perfect for on the go play. I would happily buy it twice.

+ andremal on May 4th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

I’m glad to see this coming to PS3. No offense Vita owners, I’m one too, but the PS3 needs more SRPG titles! Anyways, I’m really liking what I see. The concept of mixing srpg battles with the ability for random encounters looks very interesting. Can’t wait to find out when the release date is.

+ Miggy11 on May 4th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

You had me at “RAINBOW MOON!”

+ Syph33r on May 4th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

Looks fantastic. Would a UK/Euro launch date only be slightly behind? Hate having to wait for ages for some games when they are out on the US Store.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

Hi Syph33r,

can’t promise, but we’re heading for a synced release in US and EU territories.

+ FearMonkey on May 4th, 2012 at 9:57 am said:

Looks like a cross between Torchlight and Disgaea.

This is a good thing. :)

+ DION3TO on May 4th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

I am truly impressed by this. It looks so godo and fun to play
Possibly a day one-purchase for me.

+ ElektroDragon on May 4th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

Definitely buying this, but I’d buy it again on Vita too! The Vita has ZERO good RPGs right now.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on May 4th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

didnt i read somewhere that this game would have some type ofonline functionality? also only 3 members in a party? thats kinda low for an SRPG heck even PS1 SRPGs had more

+ sesyjon on May 4th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

This rpg look’s great but, i wish this game come to vita because i been very busy and i haven been playing on my ps3 for quite some time.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on May 4th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

also “platinum support with more than 50 trophies to unlock” = dont expect to pay 20 bucks or less for this game

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

This has already been commented above:

The price has not been decided so far, but it will be in line with other PSN games, so probably not over 15$, even with platinum support. Promised, you can expect tons of content for that money, although most of it is optional.

+ Heavenly_king on May 4th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

the art style fits all what you would expect of an amazing PSVITA game, so it would be nice if this games was also developed for the system.

It looks awesome on the PS3, but fits better on a PSVITA.

+ poisonedsodapop on May 4th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

This looks like it would be great on the Vita as well. Looks well suited for a portable game. I’m sure people would love to have both versions and cloud support.

+ Kazriko on May 4th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

I agree, I’d love to have this on Vita as well.

The battle animations look very Disgaea inspired, which is a good thing in my book. The only unusual thing for me is the limit to 3 party members? That’s a bit low for a tactical game.

Other than that, I hope it comes out soon so I can be parted with more of my money…

+ perrandy on May 4th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

i’m pretty excited about this game.because it looks pretty neat.day one for me!

+ fathead170 on May 4th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

9.99$ an im sold whats the release window?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Hi fathead170,

you can expect a release in June.

+ Heavenly_king on May 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

@34, 29:

Even though you have already been answered. Have you seen the massive content this game has?? Just because it has a “cartoony” art style it does not mean it must be cheap.

+ TheSecondA on May 4th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

I love the disgaea series and after watching the battle system, it sort of reminds me of that. Also, the customization aspect is really appealing. While watching the trailer I didn’t realize it was a PSN game, especially when it mentioned Platinum. But anyway, with 40hrs play time, sounds like a blast!

Can’t wait till you guys release this thing! Definitely a first day/as soon as I get money to buy it purchase.

+ Zoidzerg on May 4th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Pretty sure I am getting this one. I have a ridiculous back catalog so it might not be release day, maybe I will just have to push some lesser titles back in line? :)

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

Just a warning from the developer, Rainbow Moon can be very addictive:)

+ ReaperXL7 on May 4th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

Marcus Pukropski

Just wanted to say thank you for commenting on evaluation of a possible Vita version of the game. I know you guys are probably pretty busy with development of the game in general so I know to probably not expect a version for the Vita right away, despite how much i’d like one.

Still as I said above i’m a big fan of your previous games, and if you guys can see value in a Vita version or not, i’m still a fan. You can expect atleast one purchase on my end, of course two if I can play it away from my PS3 aswell.

I’m curious about characters though, when starting the game do we follow a group of set characters, do we create our group from scratch, or is it a mix of both. I love creating my own characters, and little armies in SRPGs, so i’m really curious about how things are set up in reguard to character progression, and how much control the player has on that.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on May 4th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

Hi ReaperXL7,

thanks a lot for your feedback:)

Currently I can’t give you any new or more information, but be assured that we’re evaluating all possibilities thoroughly.

Regarding your question about the party/characters – You will start with a single character; More characters will join, while you progress through the story. You cannot completely create the characters by yourself, however you can assign a new name and you decide in what direction each character develops. From selecting the skills and gear to buy up to selecting the attributes to level, this is totally in the hand of the player. But don’t be confused, this is much easier done than said and you cannot really do something wrong.

+ k0wb0y-b33b0p on May 4th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

This game looks ridiculously GOOD. How about you guys push up the release date to next week so I can go ahead and get it.

+ FORMIK on May 4th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

Are characters templates to be turned into various classes, or do they come with skillsets that make them suited or prohibited in any way?

I like the mixture of the open world feel with the strategy RPG fighting layout. It looks like the enemies are there to fight, which might mean they don’t just jump out at you from nowhere.

Please consider a Vita version! This would be an excellent game for the system.

+ Cross-Legacy on May 4th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

Game looks amazing. Definitely a day one buy, and I agree with the previous comments about a Vita version. SRPG always feel right at home on portable to me.

+ poodude on May 4th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Looks great! Optional random encounters = love.

+ poodude on May 4th, 2012 at 12:09 pm said:

I will also like to add to the comments suggesting a Vita version :D.

Oh, and the Soldner-X games should get Vita ports too!

+ furystylee on May 4th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

Did someone say tactical RPG? I’m in! And *YES PLEASE* to a Vita version.

+ KingTygerVII on May 4th, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

The Last game i played like this was Front MIssion 3, but I ask, can we make or own characters? or just pick one and lvl it up… cause I like these style of games but without making my own person to use, kinda takes away from it. anyways. it looks nice.

+ intriken on May 4th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

looks cool, i’m on the vita bandwagon too, would finally give me enough of a reason to get one.

+ Squiggle55 on May 4th, 2012 at 1:50 pm said:

Something tells me we’re going to be hearing a lot of “this should be on the Vita” for another year or so. I hope developers take note and if they’re starting to make a game right now there’s no excuse to ignore cross platform play/remote play. Developers will be getting a pass for a while I guess because they started development well before the Vita was around, but in the near future cross platform play/remote play capability will be almost a requirement for a PSN game for me.

+ LarryFabulous on May 4th, 2012 at 1:59 pm said:

Nice! I’m really looking forward to this XD

+ Tchanku on May 4th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

Looks great, and I am not saying I won’t play it on PS3, I probably will, but I would 100% buy a Vita version. For the Vita version I would be willing to pay twice the speculated $15 ps3 version.

+ chaindrive30 on May 4th, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

YES!!!!! This is the type of game I’ve been wanting to see more of I grew up on JRPG’s like Vanguard Bandits, Final Fantasy series, Vagrant Story etc. getting all these games on PSN has me wanting to see new games that follow this same format bravo to you guys I will be downloading!!!

PAGE 1 2