Final Fantasy XV

May 08

May 08

Starhawk Out Today, MLG Tournament, All Map Packs Free!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar Posted by President, LightBox Interactive

May 8th is finally upon us and Starhawk is now available in stores all over North America! The team has put a lot of work into this game and we hope you all enjoy it! To celebrate the release of Starhawk, here’s a look at our launch trailer…

But, as I mentioned in my last post, the release of Starhawk is really just the beginning of our ongoing support for our international community. And to support our online multiplayer community we have some really great announcements for you all today. First, we’re honored that Major League Gaming has taken a strong interest in Starhawk with its blend of shooter and strategy gameplay, and they’re kicking things off right with a tournament worth $20,000 in prizes so get over to http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/starhawk and sign-up! And if you missed it last night, be sure to check-out the live stream that we did for the MLG Starhawk exhibition with pro gamers Tsquared, Hastr0, and GoldenBoyFTW! We cover single-player, co-op, and of course hot multiplayer action. Witty commentary supplied by me, of course ;-).

Secondly, and this is the announcement that you guys probably were *NOT* expecting…there was a lot of discussion here at LightBox Interactive and Sony Santa Monica on how best to support the community and keep our player base all together as one cohesive group. We really didn’t like how in Warhawk when we released a new map pack, it forced these divisions on our players. And after we released three expansions, our player community was pretty fractured. With Starhawk that ends! We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime! And we’ve already started the early stages of our next map pack for you guys. Check out these very early sketches from the new planet of Cypress! A lush, swampy world that’s home to an abandoned research facility that many years ago was responsible for researching the mysteries of Rift Energy.

Starhawk: Cypress Map pack

Now certainly we’ll have some paid DLC content in the future as well as our free map packs, but we’re still playing around with what that will be. We’re going to be looking to see what the player feedback is on Starhawk in the coming weeks to help steer the DLC that we develop for you all. This is our commitment to all of you, the players. I hope you all get a chance to enjoy Starhawk – not only with today’s retail release but for the months and years to come!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

stewbrew said:

May 8th, 7:14 am

this is the best game to ever come out now you guys are the best!!

supermoc10 said:

May 8th, 7:17 am

FREE……Map packs? In this generation?! I love you Dylan, LightBox and Sony.
Hopefully the paid DLC will be like big expansions with Maps, weapons, modes etc…

MPaullin said:

May 8th, 7:21 am

Was definitely not expecting free maps! I would have gladly paid. It is really refreshing to see a developer that respects the consumers like this. I’m excited to pick this game up today.

JMB626 said:

May 8th, 7:22 am

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
O:

DJHaole said:

May 8th, 7:23 am

STARHAWK FTW

favian said:

May 8th, 7:27 am

This should be the new standard. I’ll be supporting with a purchase, the beta was outstanding

Enforcer_X said:

May 8th, 7:29 am

AWESOMESAUCE!

dredre8424 said:

May 8th, 7:30 am

Sweet #Starhawk you guys are awesome :)

RichieBoy said:

May 8th, 7:38 am

I never got on the beta, but I’d already bought and paid for my pre-order this morning before this fantastic news, can’t wait until Friday when it’s out here in the UK!

Erebus-of-Dark said:

May 8th, 7:39 am

WOW!!! Now that is amazine news. Thanks so much and a special knowing nod to Dylan. This just proves again how truly innovative and dedicated LBI is proving to be as a new developer!!!

longevity said:

May 8th, 7:39 am

great decision with the free map packs. thanks!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 8:54 am

its important to us that the community doesn’t get fragmented

Syrlis said:

May 8th, 7:41 am

That is ****ing AWESOME news! I was gonna wait until the re-release to get the game and all the dlc on one disc, but now I will be picking this up this year. I have to blow up some Max Payne 3 multiplayer first, but as soon as that gets stale I will TOTALLY be down for some Starhawk! Thank you

bushisprez said:

May 8th, 7:44 am

Free Map Packs Mr. Jobe? You sir have got my money.
Hope you guys improved on the beta alot of matches seemed to be “vanilla stalemates” in CTF. I’m excited for coop and story though.

Kylote said:

May 8th, 7:46 am

Nice! Now I don’t have to miss out on playing new maps because my friends don’t have them :)

Falaut said:

May 8th, 7:47 am

Fantastic news

You know what, I have to post this. I had this game pre ordered at EBGames and went in yesterday and cancelled my pre order. Why? Well the answer is two fold. First, I’m rather unhappy with Sony/Playstation because of all the PSVita issues/broken promises, primarily the PSOne classics support. I know this is unfair to Dylan and his crew, but being an older gamer I very much understand that one way to get your voice heard is with your wallet. Second, and most importantly, was the argument/issue I have towards these “types” of games and their reliance on what I feel is DLC gouging, where I go out and spend $60 and after 8 months I see myself spending $15×4 on top to have new maps, for a total of $120.

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 8:56 am

Understood. Thanks for the note.

shika1983 said:

May 8th, 7:47 am

I was not expecting free maps……. awesomesauce !!!

(payable) DLC wise ……. Has to be an APC in there somewhere

Also whether DLC or not ….. Collection has to return !!! If this game wasn’t made with Collection in mind then i’d be very shocked !!!

On a totally separate note….. will Cloud that Hawks can fly (and hide) in return? One thing I can’t believe wasn’t transfered from WH

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 8:55 am

Maybe. The Warhawk APC was really a blast

Falaut said:

May 8th, 7:47 am

What is the issue with, for example, releasing a game that when bought brand new, comes with a code than entitles you to all future DLC? You eliminate a large chunk of the used game “problem”, because people will hang onto that game knowing is true and great value. Company happy, customer happy.

So having said all that, let me finish with this. After I hit “post comment” I’m going downstairs to my car and going out to get this game. Yes, I know I lost out on the pre order jazz, but oh well. Well done Dylan and company!!!

Cheers

Falaut said:

May 8th, 7:49 am

arggg! damn you spelling and grammar!

AntDaGamer said:

May 8th, 7:51 am

this is just wonderful news! Waiting for my wife to come home and bring me my disk! Can’t wait to support! Ill be streaming this live at http://www.twitch.tv/antdagamer77 if anyone wants to check the game out!

Cerbus666 said:

May 8th, 7:51 am

Awesome news!

acwey said:

May 8th, 7:51 am

I was expecting a PSN digital release announcement. Is that happening?

Now this new is great all well.

spunnups said:

May 8th, 7:54 am

Love It!! Going to pick up my copy now!

MendicantBias7 said:

May 8th, 7:54 am

Wow! What a great way to support the community. This is just amazing, you guys at Sony, Lightbox, Santa Monica, and everyone else connected to the game; now it just needs to be 10 so that GameStop is open!

butcherknife said:

May 8th, 7:58 am

Wow! I like the idea of free map packs as a way to keep the player base together. Makes sense. But have you considered having an option for donations for the free DLC?

FYI – I pre-ordered Starhawk (I really liked the beta)…amazon tells me it is out for delivery to my house. :)

yami930 said:

May 8th, 8:12 am

That’s awesome! Now I’m wondering what can you possibly put paid that wont spilt the community either, like I would think vehicles can’t be payed because that would seperate the players as well. We’ll have to wait and see huh. I think one thing LBI should do for Starhawk is implement a Warhawk mode (similar to picking a hardcore mode in other shooters) where its Starhawk but more influenced and closer to Warhawk gameplay with pre built bases, pre built capturable areas, that stick on aim from close enough distance, equippable knife, players drop packs when killed with their weapons and filled with rift energy, limited build and battle (maybe restricting walls, respawn beacons, vehicle depots, and auto ground turrets vs infantry. just keep big turrets maybe have them pre- built or something) with obvious starhawk elements intact such as pod spawnig, sprinting and more, plus 1 mode I’d like to see is Hero mode return as well as many maps based on Warhawk maps, like I’d love to see Archipelago done over in starhawk art style and part of some new planet.

muzzar69 said:

May 8th, 8:13 am

Free!? Wow certainly did not expect that. Thank you MR Jobe! I was not planing on getting this since I’m not big on MP games, but just for this I’m picking it up to show my appreciation. Thank you Light box, Sony Santa Monica and Sony for giving back to your fans! Far too many companies these days nickel and dime their loyal customers with online passes, and don’t get me started on disk based content.
So thank you so much for giving back to your fans, and see you on the battlefield!
I’ll be the one dropping a tank on your head.
;)

D-Squad3 said:

May 8th, 8:16 am

Free maps is great, it will definitely keep the community intact instead of separating it! GREAT news!

However, MLG is a bit unorganized imo.

dmanjj2 said:

May 8th, 8:17 am

That’s unbelievable!!! LBI, best Sony developer EVER!!!!

CBreeze5g said:

May 8th, 8:24 am

Not only do we get all that awesome stuff with the limited edition but now we going to get free map packs. LBI you guys are too awesome. I really hope you guys are relaxing a little because you guys put a lot of work into making this game.

PowerCorruption said:

May 8th, 8:28 am

“We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime!”

HOLY. CRAP.

By the way, the DLC for Warhawk was totally worth it, but this is some amazing news!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 8:54 am

Don’t worry. We’ll think of other ways to get your $$$ in our pockets! :)

Emerald_Swords said:

May 8th, 8:28 am

You guys are the best!!!! Seriously going to pick up a copy XD

PowerCorruption said:

May 8th, 8:30 am

Also, with the new map packs, will they be updated by patch…or will we have to download them through the store?

There were a lot of people who didn’t download the free map packs in Assassin’s Creed, or free DLC for Resistance, MAG, and other games. I think it would be best to implement them by patch.

scyster said:

May 8th, 8:48 am

Seriously Sony, keep stuff like this up…people like free things. I am extremely happy about this. Cant wait to play!!

WarHawk_ said:

May 8th, 8:56 am

Free map packs… This is why I love being part of the Warhawk/Starhawk community, not only do the poeple over at lightbox stick close to it’s customers trough all kinds of social activities.. They also give us free stuff just for the fun of it.. Starhawk is an awesome game, and I just wanted to say thanks Dylan and everyone there at lightbox..

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 8:58 am

that is the idea! And there will be more stuff, no doubt.

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 8:57 am

wow, you’re a fun guy! Thanks!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 8:57 am

the anger…sorry you feel that way

KeefRiffards said:

May 8th, 8:58 am

The game is amazing, and the free maps makes it even better. Awesome work guys!

WarHawk_ said:

May 8th, 9:05 am

oh and btw @BLUExEYEDxSLICKT I can understand why you would want to buy a digital copy of the game, but even so it would have been nice for you to have been mature about your comment and not have to post something so rude within the comment section. I feel sorry that you do not want to purchase the game, it’s an awesome game with a huge community (filled with nice/friendly people). But that is the choice you made.

As a little advice for next time, your allowed to state your opinion but don’t be a jerk about it.

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 9:09 am

its ok. We are thick skinned…but thanks

jason_ac said:

May 8th, 9:07 am

This is one of the best trailers you’ve made, good work! The MLG event was fantastic!

Wow, free maps! That’s pretty awesome. Though I wouldn’t complain if it was just a few free, but later on had to start paying.

WarHawk_ said:

May 8th, 9:08 am

And yeah this is one of the most awesome trailers you guys have made thus far =P

BLUExEYEDxSLICKT said:

May 8th, 9:09 am

I mean I don’t get this logic. You guys complain of those idiots that break the copyright laws and make several of the disc games cause they have the DISC but to fight that you could start making it digital only on psn and no one can copy those games easy. But you guys stick with disc were the hackers have fun copying the game over and over. I have 2 ps3’s and my kids play on the second one. I buy games on psn and I get a copy on my ps3 and then I put the other copy on the second ps3 for my kids and I pay the price of one disc game to do that. Store route I am forced to buy the game twice and that upsets me. I am a digital guy so I lose out on so many games cause you developers are being selfish to keep it off psn. What else you want as developers you guys already forced sony down to two activations from 5 and now you still keep the new games off psn? What gives?

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 9:11 am

When and if we have a PSN version of the game we’ll make sure to let everyone know. Till then, it doesn’t exist. I understand your desire for a digital version…its just not available at this time. Sorry.

guitarded77 said:

May 8th, 9:11 am

Picked up my copy before I got to work this morning… it’s sitting on my desk staring at me, telling me “Let’s go home early… I want to play”. And I tell it “Shut up Starhawk, I have important work to do… like commenting on the PS Blog”.

letherclad said:

May 8th, 9:11 am

Free map packs sounds like an awesome idea, Sony really is at the forefront of consumer appreciation, I hope it works out for you guys! Can’t wait for my copy to arrive!

I agree with what an earlier commenter said, if you implement the map packs with updates it will further ensure that the online community does not get splintered, keep that in mind.

@BLUExEYEDxSLICKT
Who has a PS3 and refuses to buy disc-based games? The PSN is great and all but thats just silly

uncleniccius said:

May 8th, 9:12 am

Thanks guys! I won’t be buying on release unfortunately (sorry) as I have exams, a holiday, and a lack of money. I will pick it up for my Birthday in July, as I believe practice like this should be rewarded. Again thanks guys! :)

muzzar69 said:

May 8th, 9:13 am

BTW we need some gaming with the dev nights! I wish those types of events were set up more often, last time I had a chance to compete in one was back when KZ2 released!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 9:15 am

I’m sure we’ll set some of these up and we’ll let you know

Hellowutsup5 said:

May 8th, 9:15 am

A gamer knows what a gamer wants, Thank you fellow gamers at LBI!
Starhawk….For Gamers, By Gamers.

LucasKobe3peat said:

May 8th, 9:19 am

LBI’s just great, they developed a whole new and creative way to play, within outstanding graphics, and they even more and more show how they care and made all this masterpiece for us, the players. Thank you LBI by caring and supporting us, thank you sony for trusting in that amazing team

phatmillips said:

May 8th, 9:21 am

Wow, some people find a way to complain about anything. I guess it’s true that you really cant make everyone happy. Im off to pick up my pre-order at EBgames in a few…

do you think we can get some community play dates in the future? pros (testers/devs) vs us joes sometime?

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

Harvard Bonin said:

May 8th, 9:29 am

I’m sure we’ll set some up but I don’t have the details right now

KidCommando said:

May 8th, 9:23 am

Just picked up my copy and waiting for the updates and installation to finish.

Amazing news to hear the map packs will be FREE. That is just so freaking unheard of when some companies are charging for color swaps nowadays.

LBI, you guys put other devs to shame and will always have my support with Starhawk and future projects. There is no other development team that makes me feel like gamers are making games for other gamers.

Fuath said:

May 8th, 9:39 am

I have to say WOW, you guys made something beautiful and I’m proud to be a PS3 owner. Thank you Mr Starhawk for not being another COD or HALO. Is this love I’m feeling?

PAGE 1 2 3