PS4-The Order

Guacamelee! PS3! PS Vita! Pub Fund! Chickens!

Graham Smith's Avatar + Posted by Graham Smith on May 30, 2012 // COO, DrinkBox Studios

Guacamelee for PS3 and PS Vita

Hello good-looking, internet-savvy PlayStation.Blog readers. Now that you’ve been buttered up a bit, DrinkBox Studios is excited to announce that our new Mexican-themed co-op-multiplayer dimension-swapping Metroid-vania beat-em-up platformer, titled Guacamelee!, will be released through the PlayStation Pub Fund program!

If you have never heard of Guacamelee! the best thing to do is to open your mind, relax, and watch the below trailer:

I know what you are probably thinking…“What is this ‘Pub Fund’? And what does this mean for ME?”

Well it simply means that you can expect Guacamelee! to exclusively launch on the PlayStation®Network for both the PlayStation®3 and the PlayStation®Vita. That’s a lot of ®’s! You can also expect the game to take advantage of the special features offered by each of the platforms (details of these to come later – stay tuned).

PS3: Guacamelee for PS3 and PS Vita

PS3: Guacamelee for PS3 and PS VitaPS3: Guacamelee for PS3 and PS Vita

Set in a world inspired by Mexican culture, Guacamelee! features a down-on-his-luck agave farmer named Juan Aguacate, who sets out to save the world when El Presidente’s Daughter is kidnapped by an Evil Charro Skeleton. The story takes place in and around a small village in Mexico, and has the player travelling through “The World of the Living” and “The World of the Dead” on his quest to rescue the girl he loves.

We’ll be showing the game next week at E3 running on both the PS3 and the PS Vita. And for up-to-date development news, make sure to follow us on Twitter @DrinkboxStudios, and check out our blog here. Also, feel free to shoot us any questions you have in the comments below, and we will try to answer them the best we can!

Finally, we leave you with a chicken.

Guacamelee for PS3 and PS Vita

PAGE 1 2

+ DarthDanMan on May 30th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

:D

+ DarthDanMan on May 30th, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

I was hoping this would come out on PlayStation systems too.

+ Ouren on May 30th, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

Fern Gully hands!

+ DarthDanMan on May 30th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Triple Post, sorry about that. But will Guacamelee be a buy 1 get both? Also if not will we be able to do some cross-play co-op along with cross save?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

We don’t know the final answer to this yet, but we are hoping to at least have support for a shared save game between the two systems.

+ Anti-Steven on May 30th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

Yes! Metroid-vania style games are some of my favorite.

+ Nintendo451 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

I have to ask with all these types of PS3/Vita released game, but for me as a consumer it determines which version I will buy. Will you plan on releasing a bundle version of the game for both consoles for a special price? Like $20 bucks for both versions together, as opposed to $15 for PSN and maybe….$7-9 for Vita and buying them separate.

I know it’s probably out of your hands initially and it will be up to the Pub Fund people, but just letting you know that this is a great opportunity for you to support your players!

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 12:44 pm said:

A lot of people asking about this here :)

The answer is that we really don’t know yet, but we can say that we definitely do want to support our players, and will try our best to do so!

+ Xcaligamer1 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

mecican styled…sold :D

+ JimmyHACK on May 30th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

Loved Tales from space for vita. Can’t wait to check this out.

+ Kchow23 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

El Pollo!

+ Kchow23 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

The game looks great and hopefully the trailer comes out on PSN, so I can download it on my PS Vita! Will there be a bundle for buying both version together and will there be any cross platform features?

+ BrownChiKaNo on May 30th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Mexican themed game! Confirmed purchase from me :D

+ killersense on May 30th, 2012 at 12:09 pm said:

Please tell me u guys got dlc planned for mutant blobs for vita as well love that game and looking forward to this game as well

+ alx681 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

if shank and outland had a baby, this would be it.. looks awesome.. any idea on when we can expect this ? and will we able to play the game on both vita/ps3 using same save ?
thanks and keep up the good work. mutant blob attacks is still my favorite game on vita.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

For the “when” part of your question, we’re currently trying to finish the game this year, for a release early next year.

And yes, we will be trying to support a single save across both systems.

Glad you enjoyed Mutant Blobs Attack!

+ guitarded77 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

One purchase gets PS3 and PSV game?

+ JetSetFuture on May 30th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

I just need some chips with my Gaucamelee and I’ll be all set!

+ David2Crazy on May 30th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

Drinkbox Studios has the best game on Vita right now and it’s only $7. Guacamelee! is a no-brainer purchase already.

+ FearMonkey on May 30th, 2012 at 12:23 pm said:

mmmmmmmmmmm…Chipotle. <3 <3 <3

Also, can I play as the girl character in single-player?

+ Tikire on May 30th, 2012 at 12:23 pm said:

10 Bucks tops and I’m all over it! sold!

+ Justinchi on May 30th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

Will the game have cross-platform ability between the two systems, and will Vita players be able to play multiplayer mode with PS3 players?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 1:12 pm said:

Unfortunately the game will only have local co-op support, so the multiplayer is only possible in the PS3 version.

However, this is definitely the best way to play co-op, as you get to see your friend’s reaction as you grief them.

+ Airwalkinman17 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:27 pm said:

Co-op Metroidvania?!?! He11 to the YES!!!!!!!
This came out of nowhere for me. I remember Nick talking about it on the podcast. Color me SOLD!

+ Ejsponge61 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

So it’s The Incredibles art style with the gameplay of Shank/Outland and the flair of Nacho Libre and El Tigre?
I’m sold. Hope it does cost a bunch.

+ DaMann22 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

After playing the two blob games Im definitely sold on this. Thanks drinkbox. LOVE YOUS GUYS

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 1:12 pm said:

LOVE YOUS TOO

+ Wakefulness on May 30th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

“I don’t always play platformers, but when I do I like them metroidvania styled.”

-Dos Equis Guy

+ DasRequiem on May 30th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

It looks great! reminds me a lot of Outland, which was a great game too.
I love the art, stiffy animations and the style.
Count me as excited. I hope it’s out by the time I get my vita.
Question: if I buy it for PS3 can I play it in either Vita or PS3 or I need to buy it twice?

+ thechrono33 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

Looks Awesome!!! DAY ONE BUY FOR ME!!!

+ cyrnix on May 30th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Very exciting. Keep up the great work, DBS!

+ thunderbear on May 30th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

Looks awesome, looking forward to it!

+ Xer0Signal on May 30th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

When Drinkbox calls…

I will answer.

You guys are the best.

+ Anddo on May 30th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

Mutant Blobs Attack was really good.. You guys have my attention. I’m getting a little Shank/Deathspank vibe here. I’m definitely keeping an eye on this one.

+ morningdrive on May 30th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

looks awesome!!

Slow down there sony! Save some announcements for E3

J/k! Keep the news coming!!!

+ jack5mikemotown on May 30th, 2012 at 1:04 pm said:

At first this didn’t seem to interest me, but I decided to watch through the whole trailer cause DrinkBox did an awesome job with Mutant Blobs. Once I realized it was more than a beat em up, I was instantly sold. I’m definitely gonna purchase this, although depending on it’s week of release I may or may not have already spent my money :P

+ Robbie_G_lrish on May 30th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

Juan reminds me of a Mexican Johnny Bravo. Is that song a part of the actual soundtrack? If it is, that’s awesome.

+ Wakefulness on May 30th, 2012 at 1:23 pm said:

@Graham Smith:

:D !

+ tusunami on May 30th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

This seems very interesting indeed keep em coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Zvarri on May 30th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

Graham, I could hug you right now.

My home console gaming has severely suffered as of late, and I find myself only having time to play games on my Vita during my long commute to and from work. I am now SO GLAD Guacamelee will be playable on my Vita!

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 1:57 pm said:

@Zvarri your Avatar is AMAZING! Hugs all around!

Totally agree about the PS Vita experience. Makes commuting so much better. I’m playing a bunch of PSP classics on there now that I never had a chance to get around to back in the day.

+ NinjaVSNinja on May 30th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

Day 1 purchase.

+ Matrix_Lion on May 30th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

This is a cool looking game. I like the colors too. I’ll give this game a shot.

+ luvtoseek on May 30th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

Graham, love your games. Great on the Ps3 & on the Vita. You have my support!

+ wizeguy22 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

YES!!!!!!! was hoping this would be announced for psvita.. loved mutant blobs attack .. all i need now is a port of about a blob .. please drink box make it happen ^_^. . anything you guys make is a day one purchase from me

+ ioanina on May 30th, 2012 at 1:53 pm said:

Muy excellente! That game looks exciting! Bueno! Muchas gracias, Drinkbox amigos y amigas!

+ Nintendo451 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

Thanks for the response! I at least wanted to offer an idea of a Bundle version of the game, rather than just asking for the Cross-Purchase option. I know it’s a big deal, so I’m willing to pay a little extra for a combo. Cheers!

+ StephGoulet on May 30th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

That there is one pretty looking game. IT MUST BE MADE BY GODS.

+ fireoutside on May 30th, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

Can’t wait for this one! I love the nod to Metroid in the screencap with the “Chozo” statue. I also love anything with Luchadores. Especially this comic: http://www.hardcoreluchador.com

+ EXTREME_rkmn on May 30th, 2012 at 2:15 pm said:

Comment #23 wins the internet for today.

I saw “Metroidvania style beat em’ up and my brain almost exploded. This game seriously looks awesome! I’m glad there is CrossPlay support for a single save, but really wish it had CrossPlay multiplayer :( Definitely not a big enough gripe to keep me from picking this up on day one! Here’s hoping for a demo sometime before release!

+ DZORMAGEN on May 30th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

If I buy this game day 1 will it come with 2 FREE Tacos, and a side of Guacamole? If so SOLD!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

+ Edwerd on May 30th, 2012 at 2:30 pm said:

looks amazing! In comparison to Mutant Blob what can we expect from the story?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 8:07 pm said:

There is definitely more emphasis on story this time around, with a bizarre cast of wacky characters :)

+ FORMIK on May 30th, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

I for one think the cross-purchase trend offered by some games is a fortunate feature and not a standard, so I don’t mind if it’s not always available. I will agree with Nintendo451, that a bundle would be nice. With some games offered at less than $10, I’d gladly pony up the extra cash to get both versions at a discounted rate.

You better provide some avatars, as this game has a sweet art style!

Where did you get the idea to shift between worlds, and does it affect the gameplay other than by allowing access to places otherwise denied to by one world?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

The dimension swapping mechanic was pitched by one of the DrinkBox team members before we even started development on the game.

Once the ability to swap between dimensions is unlocked by the player, it’s used pretty heavily both in combat and in platforming. Some enemies are more difficult, or even invincible in one world but not the other. Some platforms and hazards will also exist in only one of the worlds. The player will often find themselves switching between dimensions to progress through the game’s challenges.

+ Elvick_ on May 30th, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

Will we be able to play as the girl instead? I know it said it’s the story of Juan, but meh… I’d rather be her or at least be able to unlock her later.

Which brings me to, is there a New Game Plus feature?

Regardless, you sold me on Metroidvania style beat ‘em up.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on May 30th, 2012 at 8:13 pm said:

The main focus of the story is definitely on Juan but we are considering making Tostada (the girl) playable if people really want to be able to do this. She is definitely very fun to play as.

We’re also still talking about new game+.. it’s definitely possible :)

+ lisatsunami on May 30th, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

Hilarious & clever name. I’m looking forward to hearing more.

PAGE 1 2