Minecraft PS4

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault Coming to PSN This Fall

Ted Price's Avatar + Posted by Ted Price on May 30, 2012 // CEO, Insomniac Games

The good people of Insomniac Games are preparing to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Ratchet & Clank, which is coming up later this year. An HD remaster of our classic PS2 Ratchet & Clank games is something our fans have requested for a long time, and we’re looking forward to granting their wishes this summer with the Ratchet & Clank Collection.

But we’ve also heard a lot of community requests to develop a new Ratchet & Clank game, one that returns to the classic third-person Ratchet & Clank camera. We listened to your requests, and this holiday season Insomniac will release our new Ratchet & Clank game as part of our 10th Anniversary Celebration.

I’d like to officially announce that Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault will be coming soon to a PS3 near you.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS3

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault is a fun-sized Ratchet adventure which will be available for download exclusively on the PlayStation Store. We’ve returned to the series’ classic feel, camera, controls and weapons, while innovating and giving you a whole new way to play. Even better, the addition of online features means you can experience Full Frontal Assault with your friends, so stay tuned! We’re really excited about this game, and we hope even these small tidbits about it get you excited too.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS3

We’ve been hard at work on Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault and now we’re giving you a sneak peek at this first piece of art to give you a taste of what we have in store for you when the game launches later this year. In the meantime, we hope you pick up the Ratchet & Clank Collection when it comes out this summer. We’ll have some more news on the Collection’s release date and a special surprise for North American fans coming in the next couple of weeks.

+ prestitre on May 30th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

BTW will it have platinium trophy?

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

not sure yet, but we’ll do our best to!

+ TheGuardianFID on May 30th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

SOLD!

+ GameDude79 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

Fantastic! I always loved the Ratchet & Clank games. Quick off topic question that I doubt will be answered, Will we see Overstrike at E3? Just by the trailer I can tell that game’s going to be amazing. Maybe we could see some PS3 exclusive content for it.

+ Loy310 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

Only Ted can make a 30 year old man jump in joy over the news of a new R&C game.
R&C is like the iPad or iPhone, I just can’t imagine this world without the R&C series.

Easily my fav series right next to God Of War.

Love you Ted, props to insomniac studio for the R&C games, I’m buying the collection and this new game just to make sure I financially support your company and your efforts and contributuons.

TY.

+ FearlessSasuke on May 30th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

C’mon please make a retail release for NA PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ dezzyd20 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

R and C is Back…………..

+ prestitre on May 30th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

ACIT’s ending left me want continue for that story so insomniac i’m not pushing you but please someday continue for that PLEASE c:

+ dezzyd20 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

i ……wonder ……….what…..tthe ….price ……is…….?

+ sekaniy on May 30th, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Awesome!! I knew you guys wouldn’t let us down. I appreciate A4O for what it was, and supported it with day one pre-ordered purchase. But…. we need the real Ratchet commando, warrior back! Will support HD collection and this day one! Have you guys talked with High Impact Games? Let them do a Vita R&C! They did pretty good job on Size Matters. Will the new studio also make this?

+ Squiggle55 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

@James Thanks very much for the response, I appreciate you explaining that. I never owned a PSP so I didn’t realize you all didn’t do those games. And that makes me pretty confident Sony probably has someone else working on it right now. I didn’t realize it would be Sony’s call to port the HD R&C collection either. I think it would be a wise decision on their part.

And I have to say, it’s very difficult getting a straight answer on who is responsible for enabling remote-play through Vita for PSN games (like this upcoming Full Frontal Assault for example). Sony claims developers need to add a patch to old PSN games so remote-play would work. So is there any chance that this new PSN game will be able to utilize Remote-Play through the Vita?

+ Hyperfludd on May 30th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

I really love you guys.

+ K-O-R-G-S on May 30th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

Will the gameplay be similar to the previous games simply with online or is the “twist” going to completely shake things up and make it different?

+ guitarded77 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

“+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:
We’d rather make new games than go back to really old ones.”

Yeah, too bad many of your new games are mediocre. I have purchased every one of your games this generation… every one of them bought new because I believe in supporting devs. It’s cute the way I get the passive aggressive response as being one of the people who has supported you. For the past several years, many… have asked for trophies for your first 3 PS3 outings, but have been met with excuse after excuse. I’m not naive enough to think that it would happen this late in the PS3′s life cycle, but Insomniac has proven to be the worst exclusive dev (I know… you’re multi plat now) on the PS3 when it comes to support. What makes a developer great is support for the fan base. Look at Zipper or LightBox Interactive and learn a thing or two :P

Oh, and don’t get mad at me. My initial comment was just a vent since I knew someone at Insomniac would actually see it. But you decided to respond with your little quip. Real professional.

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

We’ve said time and time again why we couldn’t go back to do trophies.

The trophy spec came out during Resistance 2′s development. The entire team was focused on getting that game out the door. It wasn’t possible for us to pull the large amount of people off of the game to go back, re-open dormant code, re-test the entire game, and then re-submit it. Sony never requested it from us, nor offered to help pay for it. So you can’t compare us to any of their owned studios in that regard. If an owned studio does it, it’s Sony’s money. Not the same thing here.

Secondly, there was no PSN standard when R:FOM was released. The patching system in RFOM was built from the ground up by Insomniac. That meant we’d have to build a very risky MP patch that actually patches SP. So now you are further compounding the amount of resources and time we’d have to pull from Resistance 2 to do that.

What about Tools of Destruction? Again, wild west days of PS3. And we built a strictly single-player game. So single-player that it doesn’t initialize PSN at all (it had no need to), and as such, was impossible to patch.

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

Quest For Booty missed trophies by maybe 2-3 weeks. Sony didn’t finalize the spec until it had gone gold. The Ratchet team had to bust hard to get going on A Crack in Time. Once again, do we pull resources off of pre-production to go back and add-something? It never made sense from our side. I believe there were additional challenges there too.

As the brave new online world has moved forward, it’s definitely gotten much more ingrained into the structure to have patches/systems to make patches happen, and of course, trophies are required. But early on this generation we weren’t required to have any of that, and we never built systems in place to make that easy or feasible for us to do it in the future.

So in short, it’s not a passive-aggressive response at all, it’s re-iterating our open, honest, and straightforward reasoning for why we didn’t add trophies to begin with. And we’ve supported our fanbase across all three Resistance games with multiple patches, DLC maps, game modes, and otherwise.

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

For whatever reason this cut off the first part of my reply.

Resistance: Fall of Man was built before the PS3 launched, or had official systems in place for patches, friends list, and lots of other stuff. As such, we built our own patching system, but only one to patch MP. Hacking it to patch SP would’ve been really risky in terms of introducing new bugs.

On top of that, trophies were introduced while we were rushing to ship R2. The whole team was busy, we couldn’t spin people off to make an untested type of patch for a game that had never meant to have SP patched. And if we did, we’d be pulling people off of games we were working on, with no compensation from Sony. They never requested it, and you can’t compare us to owned studios (where it’s Sony’s money/time if devs go back to add something to an old title). At that point we were past our support window on RFOM anyway, after a full year of DLC and patches.

In terms of Tools of Destruction, that too was built very early in t he PS3′s life-cycle, and was built as an SP only game that wouldn’t ever need a patch (the old-school way of thinking, for sure). As such, it never actually initializes PSN, which makes it impossible to patch it. Crazy eh?

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on May 30th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Great news!
I know Insomniac for their Resistance games (which I love, especailly R3) and this is the perfect chance to play all the R&C games :D

+ eddieanton on May 30th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

@guitarded77: SMH…

+ guitarded77 on May 30th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

@ eddieanton

Mind your business.

+ bouncingsoul217 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

R&C has been my all time favorite playstation series. Can’t wait for it Quark Rules!

+ djfx on May 30th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

OMG! I have owned and replayed every single R&C game since the first and am so happy to hear there’s a new one. I was kinda sad that you guys didn’t stick to the format of the PS2 games when it went to PS3. Is this one really going to be more like the PS2 games? One thing that I really missed was the ability to jump, hit the ground and break everything around (box breaker I think) and get lots of bolts! That was really satisfying. Please please say that’s coming back!

+ wolfflame21 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

I liked the RC before all 4 one (never played that one). I never played the pervious RC games, are they good and this special surprise better have 1% or higher of resistance in it!

+ seanoc1 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

First, YAY!

Second, why are the names so different between this and EU version?

Third, the HD collection should hopefully be out here in UK next week or soon after. Double YAY!

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

Localization reasons, hard to get the meaning of FFA across in all the different languages

+ shadysaiyanz on May 30th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

Don’t make a Vita port or even suggest such a thing. The last thing portables need is ports. There’s no point in getting a Vita if you can just get the game on your PS3, seriously. There’s also no point in have a Portable if everything on it is the same as the console counterpart. I have a Vita and i love it, but what me and tons of other people want is original IP’s and content.

+ Naif on May 30th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

OMG Thank you Insomniac. This news made my day! Love the whole series and cannot wait for more.
Please start a contest for the fans to design a weapon for the game. I want to win this time!

+ ratchet678 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

im not gonna speculate if this is going to be good or not but, when are you all going to continue with the main future saga story on finding ratchet’s origin and where he from/the lombaxes went. b/c im a huge fan of the series since the ps2 days/ and spyro fan too. but im starting to lose faith in ya’ll company because i dont see anything new or innovative coming from insomniac anymore . it seems all you all are doing working on are side projects (which is cool) but not the games that actually made the company popular with everyone, but hopefully the will change in the coming years. :)

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

The Future saga is completed. In terms of story threads that are out there, who knows if a future Ratchet & Clank game or developer might pick them up,

+ xjgunsx on May 30th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

Awesome! Can’t wait! Liked the weapons/items/gear system in Going Commando better than in A4O. Hopefully there will be a nice weapons/items upgrade system with a wider variety. LOVE RAC!

+ shadysaiyanz on May 30th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

Aso, i hope this new game is being developed by the original Insomniac team because All4One was awful and Co-op killed that game. even playing it by yourself didn’t seem right, like it wasn’t even a Ratchet game. Loved the Future series and will get the Collection.

+ Bluejays20012 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

i hope for 10th Anniversary Celebration they give stuff more free avatars :D

+ shadd654 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

+ lrobertiii on May 30th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

Thank you Ted Price for the game! Will you be able to buy it in a sepreate disk? Or can you just get it off the PlayStation Network? PLEASE RESPONDE!!!!!

+ shadd654 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

Will this game use techno like the older games or keep the orchestra from the future series? PLEASE TELL ME T_T

+ WICKEDGHOST187 on May 30th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Can we see a demo some time soon.

+ Kane22_ on May 30th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

i don’t know whether i should get excited for this one cause all4one was too online based. the story and gameplay took a big hit all for online. also why did you guys decide to make a psn game instead of a full blown ps3 game. is it cause of your other game that’s multiplatform?

+ Ratchet1939 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:04 pm said:

Will it be a full game or a small one like Quest for Booty? Because you guys still need to make the HD collection

+ Multiplegeowgie on May 30th, 2012 at 1:04 pm said:

I Loved each and Every Ratchet and Clank Game in the Series, from a young age also, from all of the Original Games including Deadlocked and Size Matters, to the Future series i seriously cannot say which i loved out of them all. I think i played Ratchet and Clank 3 the most of the games because of my Excessive amount of bolts which was 76,000,000 I think anyway :-).

Delighted to Hear about Full Frontal assault *Grins at the name* or Q-Force as it is being called in Europe.
One Thing i may or may not be getting hints about is, Q-Force was the name of the Team you put together in Ratchet and clank 3, would this game have anything to do with Ratchet and Clank 3 or any of Its Characters, Obviously Ratchet and Clank will be in it but i mean characters like; Big Al (Al), Skruntch, Skid Mc Marx, Sasha, Qwark or even Helga. ;-) Suspicious one aren’t i Insomniac?

Also a question, feel free to answer or not but, i think by now it is said that Ratchet and Clank: Gladiator will be available in the United States and Japan because of their extended wait. Will Europe be eventually getting this as a Separate download or do we have to miss out on this one? Which would be a shame because Gladiator/Deadlocked was one of my Favorites.

+ guitarded77 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

“+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

James, thank’s for actually giving me details of why it never happened. This is the third time I’ve had this conversation with you (1 time PS Blog and 1 time Facebook) and this is the first time you ever told me why. I know I have hounded you in the past, but this was all I was looking for. A real reason for never patching the games with trophies. I now have details and that means the world to me, sincerely. Sorry if I get under your skin, but getting the typical PR BS from devs is the norm, and I hold Insomniac to a higher standard, which mean non typical PR BS. I promise I will quit bugging you for a while at least. You do know that your answers to me are going to end up on some gaming blog in the next hour or so, so… you’re welcome for the free press. :D I avoided responding to your first comment with “R&C HD Collection says hi!”, so I’ll do it here since I promised to quit bugging you for a while. Anyway, the new game sounds good and I’ll just continue to make the trophy sounds myself when playing Fall of Man, Tools and Booty.

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

A brand new port with trophies from another dev also satisfies our “Sony asked and paid for it” – HD Collection would’ve never happened if Insomniac needed to develop it internally. So give a big high five to Sony on that one ;-)

+ shadd654 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

James please answer i got to know what music style this game will use will it use classic-series style techno or future-series styled orchestra please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ tusunami on May 30th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

This is very interesting indeed, can’t wait for it to drop.

+ shadd654 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

@James Stevenson please answer

+ DarkMegamanSX900 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:40 pm said:

This Good News my mind was telling its going to be a new game after everyone trying guest the special surprise Nice one Ted I wonder what is next for are Lombax friend all we can do is sit an wait Ha Ha Ha can’t believe its been ten years since I have be playing Ratchet &Clank

+ jetertoast on May 30th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

YOU GUYS ROCK

+ wizeguy22 on May 30th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

excited .. recently got my girlfriend to love ratchet and clank .. she will be happy about this news as i am…

+ NeodeosX on May 30th, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

Awesome ! The game looks very promising.

Though, I must say I prefered Ratchet’s look in A Crack In Time.

I understand why it was changed for All 4 One, but now that you are coming back to traditionnal 3rd person gameplay, why not going back to the Future trilogy’s look ?

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

The Ratchet look has continued to evolve, that said, the exaggeration of his shape is dialed back a bit from All 4 One, he looks good in the game. Bug us again after you see screenshots and let us know what you think

+ Nintendo451 on May 30th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

Will the “Big Surprise” be Ratchet: Deadlocked HD included as a voucher in the game? What am I talking about? Well…

Of course it’s only for SCEJ at the moment, but it at least acknowledges its existence.

+ D-Squad3 on May 30th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

This was a bit unexpected! Cool to see R&C still alive and Insomniac still making exclusives for Sony.

+ shadd654 on May 30th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

James please answer i got to know what music style this game will use will it use classic-series style techno or future-series styled orchestra please tell meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

+ kabirdsall14 on May 30th, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

SWEET! i have been craving some more Ratchet and Clank! I can’t wait for this and the HD collection.. I have been wanting to replay the original for quite some time now, but everytime I come across a copy in gamestop, it ends up being too scratched to play. My original copy got stuck in my 1st PS2, and I tried as hard as possible to get it out. But the system wouldn’t budge… SO FINALLY I get to replay it! But really I’m excited for R&C FFA though.It sounds pretty good!

Insomniac, you are one of my absolute favorite developers. I have played your games since the original Spyro, and have loved every single one. However I am very sad you left the Resistance franchise. Resistance 3 did not get nearly as much attention and love as it deserved. It happens to be one of my favorite games of this generation.

So BRAVO Insomniac! I will stay a loyal fan of yours forever.

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words, we’re glad you’re such a loyal fan. Be sure to either sign up for our newsletter, or follow us on twitter @insomniacgames or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/insomniacgames) for all the latest happenings

+ Elvick_ on May 30th, 2012 at 2:36 pm said:

Glad to hear it’ll get a retail release in Europe. Will definitely import it to add to my collection. >;3

Will this have a platinum trophy? You said it’s full sized, and from what I understand if a PSN title is ‘full sized’ then they can have platinums.

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

Fun-sized is what we said :-)

We’ll try for the platinum, honestly we don’t know much about the requirements, but we’ll work with our producers at SCEA to try and get one if we can

+ Imputed7-14 on May 30th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

Day one purchase…yay…Vita?

+ Elvick_ on May 30th, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

Oh, just saw the response about the platinum. So never mind there. :P

I’ll take this time to say that I really liked All 4 One. It was different, but it still retained the R&C feel even with different gameplay. It was more buggy than usual, but that’s to be expected with a game of that nature. I really enjoyed platinuming that game and going through the awesome story.

+ SpiritThief on May 30th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

What about the dual pack for future? I don’t know if it has Quest for booty too but it has both future titles. Its been out for a year in Europe when is it coming to the states?

Ted Price's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 30th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

Up to Sony to decide to release one, would be awesome though

+ luvtoseek on May 30th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

The R & C franchise of games will put a smile on children or adults. It’s got action, comedic writing, tight controls, & great production values. I’m glad we’re getting more content. Support Insomniac everybody!

@30, that’s awsome!