No Man's Sky

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz Coming to PS Vita October 23rd

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar + Posted by Julian Mehlfeld on Jun 15, 2012 // Community Manager, Sega

We’re pretty excited about the upcoming exclusive PS Vita release of Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz on October 23 – the game is coming along nicely! We have a lot of familiar Monkey Ball features returning along with some fan favorites, as well as some new tech and new goodies to take full advantage of PS Vita.

Super Monkey Ball - Banana Splitz

Super Monkey Ball has always been built on the premise of accessibility and challenging gameplay – easy to pick up, difficult to master. We’ve made the transition for new players a lot easier, with a gentler difficulty curve in the beginning that helps you master the tough challenges that will eventually come your way. And don’t worry, we’ve got some punch in there for the veteran Monkey Ball fans looking for a challenge, from more varied levels with new routes and shortcuts, a higher degree of challenges, and the ever- popular minigames!

Super Monkey Ball - Banana Splitz

While the full game is built on personal challenges, the minigames have always been about multiplayer with your friends. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz enables both local multiplayer and online multiplayer over Wifi — a first for the series! We’re bringing back all the minigame hits too, from Monkey Bowling, to my personal favorite: Monkey Target. There are eight total modes to play and compete in, all of which leverage PS Vita’s unique hardware strengths.

SMBVita_Banana 1

We’re making sure that Banana Splitz uses Vita’s built-in tech for controls across the minigames and main game modes. You can use full tilt control to navigate the entire game or opt to play with the analog sticks – it’s entirely up to you. My favorite feature of the game is the level generator that uses PS Vita’s camera. You can take a photo of anything in real life, then craft a level generated from the photo. In another twist, you can shake your PS Vita to set the difficulty level. The harder you shake, the more difficult the level becomes! Or shake it lightly for an easier time, the choice is in your hands. Creating and playing custom levels is a lot of fun.

There’s ton to do in the game and we hope you enjoy our newest trailer (above) that shows off many of the features I’ve outlined here. What do you think of the game? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

+ FORMIK on June 15th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

Looks fun! I’m glad to see it will take advantage of some of the control features that make sense for a game like Super Monkey Ball.

– Will there be additional control methods, such as using the analog sticks?
– I recall a multiplayer “battle” game on a game years ago. Will this game include a multiplayer version of this?
– Is there a way to challenge friends, say through scores, times, or other means of accomplishment done on your own?

I like the option for a level generator!

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on June 15th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

For the main game, you can use tilt controls or the analog sticks – you can change it in the level to see what works best, entirely up to you! Other mini-games have other control options, such as touch controls for bowling.

The Battle mode from previous games isn’t in this version, but we have some new modes and fan favorites returning. I’m big on Monkey Target myself and Bowling is excellent as well.

Banana Splitz features full leaderboards and you can filter by friends to see how you match up. No formal challenge system, but don’t let that stop you from boasting and bragging.

Level generator is awesome – the first time I saw it we walked around and turned everything into a level. A can of soda, Sega logo, even faces. Tons of fun!

+ JaguarCRO on June 15th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

Please Please add the ability to make your own stages for the Monkey Target game to play against your friends. The first 2 Super Monkey Ball games on the GameCube were awesome and then the series took a terrible turn. Also please give us the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the Analog Sticks and the Tilt feature. When I played the game at E3 last week it was way too sensitive (at least the way the demo was setup).

Thanks and can’t wait for the release in October. I hope this title is a true return to form of the original Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 on the Gamecube. Multiplayer on those games was fantastic.

+ JaguarCRO on June 15th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

Oh and do not make us unlock Multiplayer mini-games in the single player mode. That feature made it so two of my friends never purchased a previous title in the series because they did not like the single player. (only wanted to be able to play all the multiplayer games). Thanks.

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on June 15th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

The multiplayer mini-games are available right away!

+ UltraRazpacho on June 15th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Boob levels confirmed for NA release?

IFNOTINOBUY.

+ GGCAN on June 15th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

Thanks for the heads up Julian.

Will have to keep watch for this one.

+ Christian399 on June 15th, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

Samurai & Dragons please! If you blackmail me with the promise of one game before the other like Scamco does, I’ll get this game too (even though I have no interest – see Graces F).

Oh and Phantasy Star 2 beta news for Vita would be killer! :)

Thanks!

P.S. Valkyria 3 HD for Vita!

+ Teflon02 on June 15th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

please don’t be more then $20, If so I’ll wait, I like Monkey ball but can’t agree to pay full game prices for it. just do PSN only release please :)

+ luvtoseek on June 15th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

@1, great first post! Valid questions all around; I hope Julian can shed some light on these concerns.

+ insano_jaco on June 15th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

Thanks Julian!

@Teflon02 agreed
Remember Ubisoft with Dungeon Hunter? 0.99$ in iOS and 40$ for Vita…

+ Shin-Ra on June 15th, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

Mmm, 60fps, native res and what looks like 2xMSAA. SEGA shows how it’s done on Vita (again – VT4).

SCE/SEGA, it would be nice to get 60fps trailers of applicable games, on the PlayStation Store at least. I think you used to do it with games like Ratchet & Clank ToD and WipEout HD but don’t remember any since. GameTrailers host 60fps videos now but a custom player for PS.Blog with SD/HD/3D/60fps options would be brilliant. Also if you’re putting a Vita game trailer on the Vita Store, take off the HD-Vita-hardware-image border so we can get a better idea how the game looks, 1:1 on the Vita screen.

But the single Japanese game I want more than any other is Yakuza 5. As SEGA’s flagship (non-Sonic) IP, I hope you can keep localising them. I’ve bought every PS2 and PS3 Yakuza localised to date.

+ krae_man on June 15th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Optional Tilt=Insta-buy!

+ ziogames on June 15th, 2012 at 12:13 pm said:

que es esto

+ insano_jaco on June 15th, 2012 at 12:51 pm said:

Julian, there is hope for Yakuza: Black Panther in english?
Or Vita?

Thank you.

+ ElektroDragon on June 15th, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

I still don’t understand why this was not a launch title! Monkey Ball is a system seller! I wanted it at launch! The wait is killing me.

+ ElektroDragon on June 15th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

And while you’re at it, please make a Super Monkey Ball for PS3 and 360. Its crazy that I have to dig out my Xbox 1 or Wii to get a good Monkey Ball experience.

+ Charles_Surge on June 15th, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

I’m so thankful this game is coming. It looks fantastic visually and mechanically — what a fantastic fit for the Vita. I assume the sales will be quite strong for such a standout on the system, and it looks like it deserves it. The only downfall I could still think of is if there isn’t plenty of content. October 23… it is going to be a long wait. Still, by the time this gets on the system, I reckon it’ll still be one of my top three Vita games, along with Wipeout 2048 and Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward. Thanks for the game, and I you’re with Sega, so…. I haven’t gotten around to it elsewhere, so: please localize Valkyria Chronicles III.

+ Lasdrub on June 15th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

I clicked on this post, searched “target,” and now I’m happy :). I haven’t played a Monkey Ball game since 1 and 2 on Gamecube. Can’t wait to try it out!

+ Sharingan_itachi on June 15th, 2012 at 7:08 pm said:

Will there be DLC?

+ jqtaxpayer on June 15th, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:

I’ve been hooked on this series since Super Monkey Ball 2 for Gamecube, but have been concerned about the drop in minigame quality since that title — the inclusion of Monkey Bowling is enticing, certainly, but I’d like to see the return of Monkey Billiards. That’s the game that kept me returning to Super Monkey Ball 2 again and again. My girlfriend hated Super Monkey Ball because it made her dizzy, but likewise got hooked on Monkey Billiards.

I hear there’s a Battle Billiards game or something here — can I play a straight game of 8 Ball or not? That’s what is going to guarantee a sale from me.

+ Elvick_ on June 16th, 2012 at 2:48 am said:

So glad to hear it has analog options as well as tilt. And even more happy to hear that there’s online multiplayer. :D I don’t have any friends with a Vita, so it’s either online or nothing for me.

I’ve had it preordered for awhile now, and am dying to finally be able to play it on my Vita. It looks fantastic. Easily worth $30. ($40 in Canada, though on amazon.ca if you preorder you can get it for $33) Not sure why people devalue games like this, but whatever.

+ KGH on June 16th, 2012 at 7:48 pm said:

Lol, there really needs to be a Super Rub-A-Dub for the Vita

+ KGH on June 16th, 2012 at 7:49 pm said:

I f****** love that game.

+ Elvick_ on June 17th, 2012 at 6:57 am said:

I would love another Super Rub-A-Dub on the Vita… that game is awesome.