Driveclub

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Cole and Jak Join the Fight

Daniel Maniago's Avatar + Posted by Daniel Maniago on Jul 15, 2012 // Community Manager, SuperBot Entertainment

We hope everyone had a great time in San Diego at Comic-Con! The convention seems to get bigger every year (not sure how that’s possible), and this year was especially exciting for SuperBot since it gave us a chance to reveal the newest additions to the roster for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!

Today at Comic-Con, the SuperBot team led a lively discussion panel that gave attendees a sneak peek at the development of PlayStation All-Stars. Alongside our very own Chan Park and Omar Kendall, IGN.com’s Greg Miller joined us as a moderator to explore how the team created our super roster of PlayStation characters and environments for the ultimate cross-over brawler. In addition, they discussed alternate costume decisions, some of the different game modes available, and the concept of the “mash-up.” But of course the highlight of the panel was unveiling two new, highly anticipated additions to the roster. We are pleased to announce the inclusion of Jak and Daxter and Cole MacGrath in PlayStation All-Stars!

Initially debuting on PS2 in 2001, Naughty Dog’s Jak and Daxter series has seen critical acclaim and success, spawning multiple titles on PS2, PS3, and PSP. Fans have enjoyed Jak and Daxter’s signature style and varied gameplay, so we considered them prime candidates for our game. Jak and Daxter are beastly on the Battle Royale battlefield; they’ve definitely been my go-to pair lately here at the studio!

Players familiar with Jak and Daxter’s arsenal will immediately recognize some of the weaponry utilized in PlayStation All-Stars including the Blaster, Needle Lazer, Gyro Burster, and Mass Inverter. When the going gets tough, Jak has the ability to unleash the powers of both Dark and Light Jak to even the playing field, as seen in Jak II and Jak 3 respectively. Daxter even lends a hand in Jak’s melee attacks.

Representing the PlayStation franchise inFAMOUS from Sucker Punch Studios, Cole MacGrath proves to be an unlikely hero with extraordinary powers, so it made perfect sense to us for him to be in the ring alongside some of PlayStation’s heaviest hitters.

Cole takes advantage of a wide array of abilities in inFAMOUS, an experience we hoped to emulate when incorporating him into the game. He is a well-rounded fighter who is effective at both close and long range combat, and is highly mobile as well. Players can command both his electrokinesis and cryokinesis, using these powers to assault opponents from a safe distance or propel himself towards the action. With these abilities, Cole proves to be a formidable adversary for the rest of the PlayStation All-Stars cast!

We’re always excited to share new information about the game, so we hope you’ve enjoyed the reveals so far. We still have lots more to unveil before our October 23, 2012 launch date so don’t forget to pre-order your copy and you’ll be hearing from us again soon. Until next time!

Jak & Daxter PlayStation All Stars Cole McGrath Jak & Daxter PlayStation All Stars

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ D-Squad3 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

YES YES YES!!! However no 3rd party character this time. The more obvious characters are revealed this early the better.

+ Apeman24 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

Great characters. Keep em coming, hopefully Cloud is next!

+ DZORMAGEN on July 15th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

I hope Daxter makes a cameo in one of Jak’s super…

+ Xcaligamer1 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

saw this on m timeline and omg yessss! jak and daxter ftw :D

+ KazeEternal on July 15th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

Ratchet And Clank…. Nariko…..

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on July 15th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

I was afraid this game was going to be re-named “Multiplatform Allstars” Good to see you getting your priorities right at last guys :)

Now bring us Kazuma Kiryu!

+ UnleashedMonkey on July 15th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

oh… okay, they’re cool too. sure, they arent hero prinny but ok.
….and so my wait for hero prinny continues…. srsly, if hes not gonna be in it just tell me for i can stop getting excited then disappointed for every character reveal >_>

+ Cyris on July 15th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

No preorder costumes for Cole and Jak?

+ TomHoang on July 15th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

I agree with #6, I think first party characters should have priorty in this game, such as Nariko. Also, Kiryu and Majima would be awesome in this game!

+ Sonic-Boom on July 15th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

coool i liked cole very very much
now i will use both sly cooper and cole fantastic combo i guess great characters keep up the good work
i hope sonic is next even as a dlc i wont be mad lol thanks super bot

Daniel Maniago's Avatar

+ Daniel Maniago on July 16th, 2012 at 7:42 pm said:

Cole and Sly Cooper actually do work pretty well in 2v2! Cole has a ton of tools to keep opponents occupied while Sly sneaks around undetected. It’s definitely a solid strategy.

+ creeper43 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

awsome but when will sackboy come

+ MilaNumber14 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

I’m sorry but.

WHERE THE HELL IS RATCHET AND CLANK?!!?!?

plus.

COLE McGRATH IS THE BEST !!

+ kivi95 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

nice characters BUT do you know what is still missing? Female characters….

+ Gigman47 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

So you got the buddy system goin with Jak and Daxter…so lets get some Ratchet and Clank! And maybe get a wipeout or warhawk stage goin…I’d be pretty awesome to be fighting as hover cars fly by on loop de loops then as warhawks roar by laying waste to each other. Hoping some more 3rd surprises are still around the corner. Would love some Final Fantasy love or maybe even Alucard since the best Castlevania ever made came out on Playstation!

+ spideyal on July 15th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

I laughed a bit when I saw Jak fighting Nathan Drake. Just a bit tho.
I’m stoked to see who else gets announced!

+ NauseousPenguin on July 15th, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

Great! That checks a few off my wanted list. I eagerly anticipate what’s to come!

*Crosses fingers for Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy, and Crash

+ Eraser35 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

we so need Kiryu in this game now, and I hope Evil Cole will be in there as well

+ Gigman47 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

Also looking for some Isaac Clark, Nathan Hale, Chimera, and Wander (SotC) love. Wander could send in a Colussus at level 3 to reign doom on the doomed heads of your doomed enemies.

+ MakoSOLIDER on July 15th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

So Im guessing Ratchet & Clank will also be one character or??

+ wtGp on July 15th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

about time. Jak and Daxter kick so much ass

Daniel Maniago's Avatar

+ Daniel Maniago on July 16th, 2012 at 7:46 pm said:

Agreed. I’ve been putting in time into Jak and Daxter and can tell you that they’re wild in PASBR. The Mass Inverter is probably my favorite weapon so far!

+ ATFrez on July 15th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

Still really hoping for Vahn from Legend of Legaia. He’s a first party character and a great all around fighter. He could command the battlefield with melee combat and the use of fire in his attacks and for his Super Moves, he could summon Seru to aid him. I really think that Vahn would be the perfect addition to the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale roster.

+ Bubba301888 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

i hope the the ppl in the background can yell out your name if you are getting hype out up in the battle lol

+ OMGSpaceBoundz on July 15th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

+ MakoSOLIDER on July 15th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

For Cole though I wudve prefered lvl 1 super to be Ionic Votrex, 2 to be Ionic Freeze, and 3 to be Ionic Storm. But this is just Good Cole, will there be an evil one? How will Karma play into it if its just one character?

+ IceColdKilla44 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

I honestly wasn’t expecting to see THAT many of Cole’s and Jak’s abilities appear in the game. Talk about attention to detail!

Amazing job, SuperBot. Gonna go show these to my friends to make them pre-order!

Daniel Maniago's Avatar

+ Daniel Maniago on July 16th, 2012 at 7:50 pm said:

Glad you enjoyed the reveals! And thanks for the support! Your friends won’t be disappointed.

+ AriesWarlock on July 15th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

Cole’s powers look cool.

Hey, Daniel, so far only one female has been revealed. Will there be more?Have you thought of Jen from Primal? Nariko from Heavenly Sword?

+ crazyslimz on July 15th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

hey guys cant wait for that game, gonna be awesome!! but you know what characters i would love to see cloud from final fantasy and dante dmc are sonic lol r shank go shank you guys should think about it peace out…

+ Elvick_ on July 15th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

Either come out and deny Spyro and Crash, or reveal them next. I’m tired of waiting and the longer the wait, doesn’t equal more excitement. Just more annoyance that we had to wait through all these obvious “reveals” and some b/s ones that make no sense. (Big Daddy) You’ll never be able to justify that to anyone with some sense, no matter how much you try. :D

Anyhoo~ Maybe I should just ignore the game’s existence until it’s finally released. So I can just avoid all the tedium with the announcements and lack of a demo before release to prove the concept of the supers.

I can’t help but feel this is being handled foolishly. /opinion

nb4hate

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

Good stuff! Really excited to see these two announced now. Still waiting on Ratchet & Clank and maybe Big Boss!

+ Bentense9000 on July 15th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

Awesome, although I think we all knew they would be in the game.

Also kinda hoping to see some evil Cole in there especially since the game revolves around making the choice to be good or evil. Not that it matters too much to me though because I play as good cole anyways.

I really hope to see some Thatgamecompany themes in the game, like a partial flower level or even the character from journey (although it might be hard to come up with ways for it to fight)

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on July 15th, 2012 at 11:58 am said:

@9

totally agree. 3rd party characters should be an afterthought. like DLC or something.

+ timedragon1 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

Woo hoo! Jak and Daxter! :D It’s also nice to see Cole as well.

Hopefully Ratchet and Clank will be in there too, and I would also like to some more female characters.

+ Einhander19 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

Crash, Lara Croft, and Solid Snake are classic Playstation Icon’s. They need to be in this game. Make it happen Sony.

+ kivi95 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

33# i don’t know about Lara Croft. Yes she is an icon but she would play to much like Nathan Drake.

+ Heavenly_king on July 15th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

Why is Heihachi more ripped than Kratos (in the first video)?? Considering kratos can do leg-press with a 50tons statue (GOW1) it does not make much sense. I wonder why they have different body-types in the game D:. Kratos in GOW3 is ultra ripped. In this game he looks in some camera angles a bit chubby, because there is not much definition in the muscles (arms, legs) as with Heihachi. Hopefully it is just because of the video. ;D

Also the only characters that look exactly like their original game are Heihachi, Toro, Bid Daddy and Parappa the Rapper.

I think all the character must have a consistent art-style in this game. So, or everyone in the game looks exactly as how they look in their game, or, considering that all those universes are mixed, it would be awesome that if the art-style is also a mix from those universes in order to have unique and cohesive visuals for all the characters. Maybe that can happen in PSASBR 2 XD, it would be awesome!!

+ Raskbuck on July 15th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Wouldn’t be a Playstation All-Stars without Jak & Daxter. I’ll definitely buy the game now, just to rock with the dynamic duo once again.

+ IceColdKilla44 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Do you guys have a picture of what their alt. costumes for pre-orders will look like?

+ Einhander19 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

34# I pretty sure they can make Lara Croft have a different play style than Nathan Drake. Think outside the box.

+ drepsx3 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

So are these the 12 characters we will start off with?

+ Astroking112 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

Next I want to see Ratchet & Clank and Nariko. I always associate Jak, Ratchet, and Sly with each other, so now the lack of Ratchet & Clank is more obvious than ever in my opinion. As for Nariko, she was a very good character, and will at help the male/female ratio a little. Plus, she and her heavenly sword would be amazing.

And I’m glad to see that Jak & Daxter and Cole don’t have cinematic Tier 3 supers. I personally dislike them, and I already hate that Toro Inoue has one, so I’m glad that another pair I’ll most likely play as doesn’t have that blight.

And i’m surprised, I thought for sure that it’d be Connor from AC3 and Cole or Ratchet. The 3rd and 4th hint from Paul Gale pointed to him and the American Revolution.

NIce job Superbot, now I just want Ratchet & Clank to finish the PS2 trio of platformers, Leonard from White Knight Chronicles to represent one of my favorite games (And to have a unique Tier 3 super by transforming into the White Knight), and a few others and I’ll be satisfied.

+ alexqqm on July 15th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

This game is looking amazing, I just hope next announcement will be Sackboy.

+ IzoGray on July 15th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

OK. Seeing what you guys were able to do with Cole I absolutely know you can put Kat from Gravity Rush in here. I think you should consider revealing a girl character next time.

I loved seeing Jak in here too. I wanna dark bomb everyone

+ LovesJapanManga on July 15th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

Hey? Will we see characters from Final Fantasy franchise in this game? By the way, please don’t get me wrong: I know we have more male fighters in this game, but PLEASE INCLUDE MORE FEMALE FIGHTERS!!! Thanks.

+ PlayerVersusMe on July 15th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

Better put Tomba in this damn game!

+ TerraAshura on July 15th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY

+ Jon_Mclane on July 15th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

any word on when the next character reveals will be?

+ DignifiedTuna on July 15th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

Guys I know this has nothing to do with Jak, Cole, or the rabbit but I was wondering if the | block from Tetris will be in this game? He won the Gamefaqs character battle, y’know. Surely you’ll tell me because I’m your favorite customer and am entitled to special treatment. I’d make my request easier for you guys to see but my caps lock broke from overuse. I’m going to keep posting this on every All-Stars post since this is totally the right place for it. Obligatory “make it happen” or “give me what I want or no buy (not really lol)”.

+ DignifiedTuna on July 15th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

On a serious note, it’s cool to see these three in the game. Anyone with common sense would know they’d be in. The trailers, though…man, they just aren’t doing anything for me. I’m sure the game will be fun once I’m actually playing it, but watching these never really gets me hyped for some reason.

+ Teflon02 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

cool tho i’d prefer jak from jak 1, but great additions, so hopefully next is ratchet and crash maybe :)

+ MaxP-S3 on July 15th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

Awaiting Jak’s reveal for a long time, and now I can rest peacefully :)
Don’t get me wrong, I love Cole too, but Jak and Daxter is my all-time favorite PlayStation franchise!

All that is left on my wishlist:

Ratchet and Clank