PS4-The Order

Get The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 Free With PlayStation Plus

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Jul 30, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

On August 7th, PlayStation Plus members will get Telltale Games’ The Walking Dead Episodes 1& 2 added to their Instant Game Collection. That’s not all – in the next few weeks PlayStation Plus members will also receive significant discounts on the latest and best PSN games a part of PSN PLAY event, beginning tomorrow, July 31st.

July 31st PlayStation Plus Update

The Expendables 2 Video game

20% off for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $14.99, PS+ Price: $11.99)
The 2012 PSN PLAY event kicks off with a first week discount on one of the most intense co-op shooters on PSN. Grab a friend (or three) and join four of the Expendables (Barney, Gunner, Caesar and Yin Yang) in a mission to rescue akidnapped billionaire. Featuring vehicular combat, four-player co-op story and challenge modes, and a wealth stages set in exotic locales, The Expendables 2 Videogame is a fantastic experience for gamers that dig hardcore shoot em up action.

Also, don’t forget that starting this week PlayStation Plus members can pre-order SoundShapes from the PlayStation Store and get 20% off boththe PS3 and PS Vita versions of the game (of which come bundled together for one price) as well as an exclusive PS3 theme. Note: Pre-orders for SoundShapes will only take place on the PS3 store as the gift with purchase theme is only useable for PS3 systems. Vita only owners don’t worry as you can still snag the 20% Plus discount on the store the 1st week the releases.

August 7th PlayStation Plus Update

PS Plus update 7-30-2012

The Walking Dead Episode 1: A New Day

Free for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $4.99)
The first episode from Telltale Games’ universally-acclaimed series The Walking Dead by will be available to all PlayStation Plus members as part of the Instant Game Collection! Follow a set of unique characters as they fight for survival amongst the ever-growing “walker” population, and encounter threats from both undead and human enemies.

PS Plus update 7-30-2012

The Walking Dead Episode 2: Starved for Help

Free for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $4.99)
We’re also delivering PlayStation Plus members the second episode in The Walking Dead series as part of the Instant Game Collection! Following the decisions you made in A New Day, you’ll be confronted with even more gut-wrenching scenarios and thrilling action sequences with your fellow survivors. Like Episode 1, Starved for Help was adored by critics for its riveting gameplay and dramatic storyline, where players need to make harrowing decisions on the fly.

SoundShapes

20% off for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $14.99, PS+ Price: $11.99)
This week marks the release of the highly-anticipated PSN exclusive SoundShapes. Marrying brilliant side-scrolling 2D gameplay with unique musical compositions, you’ll be hooked by the incredible landscapes you’ll see and hear in SoundShapes. Available for both PS3 and PS Vita systems together for one special price, PlayStation Plus members will be getting the absolute best deal with a 20% discount. If you already had your pre-order locked in, you’re all set! Make sure to check out the trailer above, which introduces musicians Beck and Pyramid Attack into the lineup of amazing levels in SoundShapes.

With the August 7th update, you’ll also be able to pre-order the next PSN PLAY game Papo & Yo, which will also have a 20% discount for all PlayStation Plus members. Everyone that pre-orders the game will get an exclusive Papo & Yo theme, so don’t sleep on it!

We’ll be coming at you with another update on August 13th, with more additions to the Instant Game Collection and additional awesome sauce. Until then, watch the PS.Blog for our weekly PlayStation Store Updates to see what additional content is added for PlayStation Plus members. Please leave us your feedback in the comments, and help us by rating the Instant Game Collection lineup on a scale from 1 – 10. If there was one thing you could change about PlayStation Plus, what would it be?

PS Plus update 7-30-2012

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ sk8allday25 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

wow sweet walking dead episode 1 and 2?! NICE! i wonder what were getting on the EU store.

+ germix27 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

Nice,thank you PS as always! :D

+ Def-FX on July 30th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

Nice update! Walking Dead eps 1 & 2?! Never saw that coming! You guys delivered this week!

+ Mz1_Rush on July 30th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

walking dead episode 1 and 2 free for PSplus! AWESOME!!!

+ SnoochyBoochiez on July 30th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Word. Personally, I’m not too sure about Sound Shapes. I do intend on grabbing Papo & Yo along with Counterstrike Global Offensive though. Time to renew my PSplus..

+ ShardYu on July 30th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Wow! Thanks! :D

+ SegaSaturn617 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

Waste of 20 dollars for buying that series bundle then if you’re going to give this out. Ugh, can’t even buy anything anymore because it’ll end up being free in a couple of months. Thanks for screwing me over. I guess next 3 to 4 months, we’ll get the other 3 episodes for free too.

+ TomHoang on July 30th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

Very excited to play the Walking Dead :) There’s honestly not much I would change about PS+, but I preferred the two-week heads up we used to get instead of this monthly preview.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 30th, 2012 at 10:17 am said:

We’ll have another dedicated PS Plus post in another week to break down more good stuff coming in August!

+ MushThePainter on July 30th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

quick question – i am planning on buying all 4 games on PSN PLAY, how and when do i get the 10$ back??

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 30th, 2012 at 10:17 am said:

All $$ back will be delivered on or around September 7th via XMB message on your PS3.

+ DaMann22 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

Like @3 said, i would have never guess this update in a million years. Glad I waited. For those who are complaining this is a great marketing ploy from tailtale. More people will see how good it is and will buy the later episodes (and eventually season 2) when they come out. I doubt the later episode will go free as well but BTTF: the game was completely free.

+ DeathKidd on July 30th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

Any word on Ragnarok Odyssey being release this month? =D

+ T40Rs731N on July 30th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Already bought the Walking Dead full season. I will definitely say it was worth it! But, now it is free :-(

+ sk8allday25 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

well i hope we get different plus update on EU store not because the walking dead ep1 and 2 isn´t awesome but because i beat both on PC.

+ DaMann22 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Morgan, does WD game count as one or two of the 3ish games you cycle in every month? Just wondering, Thanks.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 30th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

One

+ DeathKidd on July 30th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

@6: How are they screwing you over? You made a decision to buy it. No one forced you.
Do you also complain when you buy a game for $60 then the price lowers to $20 within a year? *facepalm*

+ sk8allday25 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

i think plus content should be revealed in one post not 2 cause then we have no idea what were getting and we just get screwd,plz reveal the plus content like before.

+ neokid832 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

what about the “action packed beta” information that you promised for the end of july. you only have 1.5 days left : )

+ CyPhErLoUs on July 30th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

This is so much f’in fail. I just bought those episodes not too long ago and now they go free!? You people seriously need to put up a PS+ lineup for the next couple months ahead of time since this is like the sixth time something has gone free in such short time!

+ naDOOFUS on July 30th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

I think this would be a excellent incentive to pre-order. The game downloads and installs Tuesday mornings with automatic update, no need to wait for the store to be updated for PS+ members. I pitch this idea cuz I want Sound Shapes, big time.

+ Anti-Steven on July 30th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

What games are the two walking dead episodes replacing and will we get the rest as plus games eventually? Also, will we be getting something similar to plus presents like Europe will be getting (which is a selected indie game on top of the instant game collection), or is that just them going above and beyond? I’m disappointed that we haven’t had even one full game replaced yet. I think i’ll hold off on renewing my subscription until I find out how often they get replaced. Also, you said we would find out about that beta by the end of this month, what gives?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 30th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

Both Walking Dead games replace Gotham City Impostors on next week’s PS Store Update. Sorry about the beta news though. A bit out of my hands but it’s coming. Watch the Plus post in another 2 weeks to get the news. But again, very sorry for not being able to deliver the news as originally scheduled.

+ SegaSaturn617 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Comment 14 Deathchild

I made the decision but I wasn’t expecting these to be free this soon. It’s way TOO SOON. I would expect a year or so for it to be free, not within a couple of months. Just like comment 17 said, I totally agree with him. I’m sure everyone who bought this day one are going to be annoyed with these being free so quick.

+ KeklarHastene on July 30th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

First time I’m actually disappointed in the PSN+ offers. Already have Walking Dead :P Hope there’s some better stuff later in the month then, would like a nice discount on Papo & Yo at least!

+ CrusaderForever on July 30th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

How anyone doesn’t own the $19.99 season pass for The Walking Dead is beyond my comprehension! The Walking Dead is great and I am loving this episodic series so far. Great for anyone who was on the fence. You won’t regret trying it out that’s for sure.

Time to preorder Sounds and Shapes!

+ BubbRubb17 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

Ugh…not excited about Walking Dead taking up 2 of the 3 free game slots this month. Just not interested in that type of game.

+ DeathGazer on July 30th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

Aw come on…already bought the season pass.

+ L1ftedResearch_ on July 30th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

hmm….this is a partial PS+ update for August right? Because i already bought TWD season pass day 1.

+ SLY12 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

@ 14: I can see your point, but is that same retail game ever going to sell for ‘free’? No, it’s not. And this is only a few months after the first episode even came out.

I too purchased all the episodes ahead of time and this is actually the first time I have been ‘screwed’ by the whole discount thing.

I don’t know what could be done to improve the situation for members who buy things at a discounted price and then a few months later, the same items are free. But, there has to be a better way to do things than they are now.

+ Zacky-V-A7X on July 30th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Awesome!! please darksiders 2 avatars!!!!

+ Anti-Steven on July 30th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

But Morgan, are we getting at least one new full game in August?

+ Dragonzblaze on July 30th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

this is why i love sony ps3 and ps plus i get to play walking dead episode 1 and 2 for free thx u guys are awesome keep the full free games coming :)

+ toology01 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

Instant Game Collection Rating (Month Of August) – Right now a 7 however….

As stated in the post if a couple more decent and desired games are offered by middle of month (especially if more full retail games are offered)…

Id give a 9-10

I dont really know how much people could ask for considering what we are actually paying into it. I guess we’ll have to see how the rest of the month plays out. :)

Keep up the good work!

+ MushThePainter on July 30th, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

i bought the season pass for The Walking Dead too but this doesnt make me sad.. i feel sad for those who havent played the game yet!

+ KidCommando on July 30th, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

well, well, well…glad I didn’t purchase The Walking Dead yet.

I would give the instant game collection a 9. There are some great games there with almost all genres covered. I own most of the titles, but I don’t expect to always get games I haven’t played. For someone who doesn’t own most of those, I really can’t see them complaining. That is a lot of gaming for only $50 a year…and the games will change out.

The one thing I would change, or what I am not so happy about with the new Plus, is there is no clear definition of what the program is anymore and when does new content gets added. It seems the new Plus is: Instant Game Collection, and other freebies along the way. With the old Plus, I knew when and what was expected. I still have no idea what the rotation ‘rule’ is for new games in the instant collection and when we can expect them.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 30th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

Thanks very much for this feedback. I think we definitely want to be as clear as possible with folks as to when stuff is dropping; but we do have to take into account publisher agreements on when we’re clear to announce content, etc. There’s a balance in there, and we’re only going to keep working to make the service better.

Thanks!

+ AmericanNinja1 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

But I already bought the first two episodes…..

+ KidCommando on July 30th, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

With that being said, Plus has ALWAYS given more then the minimum requirement outlined in the original package. I have never felt cheated out of content and in fact have gotten more then I expected. I guess this new Plus just makes it harder to guarantee we get everything we pay for because there is no clear definition of what to expect.

As of now, even with the new Plus, I would still re-up if my sub ended tomorrow. The value is still there, it is just harder to track its worth.

+ aro52 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

Guess I need to stop being such a “day-1 game buyer”.

+ JamesBlonde777 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

Sorry, but this is pretty disappointing. Walking Dead game seems like most PS+ members would already own it. I guess you could say that about any game, but here’s hoping that the other free game is a whopper!

+ DazeOfWar on July 30th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

This is why I’m glad I decided on not buying anymore games. I finally get something I don’t have. Thank you Sony.

I would rate the IGC with a 7 because the last 17 games I had 12 of them. Two of them were PSOne sports games and I can care less about sports games. I really hope the next update has something big to really WOW us all. There are plenty of games to pick out of. Maybe we can get a full retail game. I would like to see the Plus stuff more spread out through the month. I’d also like to know how many games we should see a month.

I would love to see movie rentals added to it but I know that was mentioned before that it couldn’t work right. Maybe Plus members could get a version of music unlimited. I’d also like bigger cloud space. I might come up with some other ideas later.

+ IM_RICK_GRIMES on July 30th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

do you no if borderlands 2 is coming to psn as a day 1 digital game

+ Concession on July 30th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

I didn’t realize the vita and ps3 versionswere bundled. That’s awesome. I was getting worried about which to get.

+ SWITCH_00599 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

Thats Very Awesome Guys Thanks!!! :D I cant wait for Sound Shapes, Papo & Yo and Counter Strike Global Offensive!

Btw any chance we could get some news or an update on The Last Guardian im hearing rumors its still in the works but thats it.

Thanks so much

+ Thebunnyhunter6 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

I literally just bought both episodes lazst nigt…….they are both amazing so i dont regret not waiting

+ joaryche on July 30th, 2012 at 10:54 am said:

i am just waiting for the day when Sony is serious about trumping xbox exclusivity.

for example:
Xbox has a exclusive timestamp on Dawnguard and users have to pay $20 each.

Sony response:
Give Dawnguard for free to PS Plus Members for the month of August.

+ ChaseHammerJ on July 30th, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

and yet another and ANOTHER stupid zombie game i would rather go sit in a corner than play.

great…..

+ D-Squad3 on July 30th, 2012 at 10:57 am said:

I’m not gonna lie, this is a bit disappointing. A lot of people already paid for the season pass like me. It would have been a different story if Plus members got all of the episodes for free. If they want episodes 3, 4 and 5 they’re going to have to pay for them. This update is completely useless to people who’ve already paid for the season pass.

+ FullMetalDoctor on July 30th, 2012 at 10:57 am said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

+ BlindsideDork on July 30th, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

If I don’t want to make levels, will I still be getting my money’s worth from Sound Shapes?

+ David2Crazy on July 30th, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

@ChaseHammerJ, wow, you are completely out of the loop on this game aren’t you? Try doing some research.

Anyways, the only thing I would change about PS+ is adding more Vita content. Right now my Vita sits idle as it waits for Sound Shapes. But it would have been nice to grab Rayman (Vita version) in a PS+ sale like the one the PS3 version saw.

+ L1ftedResearch_ on July 30th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

100% agree with D-Squad3.

+ TERMINATOR543 on July 30th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

On a scale from 1-10 I give the Instant Game Collection a 9/10. Why? Well, I like the formula, but I think there should be a pattern to how games are switched out. I think we should have 3 games switched out every month. But do it in this order: 3 PSN games, 3 PS3 Full games, 3 PSN games, 3 PS3 Full games, replacing the games that have been in the longest. Like last month, 3 PSN games were replaced, and this month 3 PS3 Full games would be replaced.

Things I would like to be changed in PS+? Well, I just pretty much stated it. But I would like to have a few things added. I know that free PS2 classics and free PS Vita games are coming once more are available so I am not stressing too much on that. But what I would like to see is more free DLC. PlayStation Plus has always been about amplifying our games, and more free DLC as well as bigger and more frequent discounts on DLC would really live up to what PS+ was originally for.

PAGE 1 2 3 8