PS4 - Destiny

Ragnarok Odyssey on PS Vita is a Giant-Smashing Good Time

Brittany Avery's Avatar + Posted by Brittany Avery on Aug 09, 2012 // Production Assistant, XSEED Games

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

Hey guys! How are you? You’re doing awesome, you say? That’s pretty awesome, I’m doing awesome myself. And you know why? Because I’ve been playing Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita. In English.

[Insert gasps of excitement here]

Are you ready to stand taller than giants? You should be, because that’s what this game is all about. One day, a passage along the Millennium Peaks gives humans access to the long-sealed off Sundered Land, and because they’re really lucky, it’s filled to the brim with mighty beasts that seem to want nothing more than to destroy mankind’s territory — Trogdor-style. Only they’re not dragons with handsomely chiseled arms, they’re ugly Giants. Giants who like to smash things.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

That’s where you come in. You’re a mercenary on the front lines, and once you choose your sex, job class, and how cute you are (by way of hair style/color, skin color and voice type), you’re ready to drop in on Fort Farthest like a bat out of hell. And don’t worry, you’re only restricted to your default job class for a short time — you’ll soon be able to go from hacking and slashing as a Sword Warrior to creating miniature explosions as a Mage with a mere wardrobe change. And even that won’t be a limitation soon enough, because I’m sure some of you would prefer to be dressed like you just walked out of a western while whacking things upside the head as a Hammersmith, right?

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

There are myriad lands with different environmental themes to discover in the Sundered Land, each with their own badass brand of monsters and Giants waiting to put their jaws (or slime — actually, that sounds kind of wrong, just go back to jaws) around your pretty little head. Accompanying these landscapes is a combat system that’s fast-paced and all-over-the-screen in the best kinds of ways. Battle your enemies using an arsenal of weapons at your disposal depending on your class, building what the title calls “tension” — the more tension you build, the more powerful, flashier and just all-around more awesome your specialized attacks will be. Thrust your enemies into the air, leaving them defenseless to your blows, or use the knockback ability to drive them clear off the screen.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

What else does this game have? Well, there’s certainly more. Way more than I could possibly explain in one blog entry. But for now, I’ll leave you with one more fun fact: remember the beloved Porings in Ragnarok Online? They’re back. And you can wear them. On your head. So now that that little gem’s been unveiled, be patient girls and boys and we’ll talk again soon, okay?

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Elvick_ on August 9th, 2012 at 6:05 am said:

Will the online patch be in the base game? Or will it be a patch like in Japan?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

The online patch will indeed already be in the game right from the very start! Hooraaaay.

+ Zoomy-Ramen on August 9th, 2012 at 6:08 am said:

Will this come out in Europe?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

Unfortunately, we can’t answer any questions about Europe, since we only have the North American rights. Sorry!

+ G-Force08 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:09 am said:

Is the release date August 21st? That’s what I see from some retailers, and I have been planning on getting this game for a while but I haven’t seen an official release date announcement.

Anyway, I’m glad it is finally addressed on the PS blog because whenever I talked about it, people were clueless because they never heard of it before. It looks like it will be fun and more people should know about it, especially if they have a Vita!

Looking forward to the game!

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

Thanks! As of right now we haven’t announced a release date yet, so any release dates you see are placeholders made by retailers. We’ll let you know when we have one!

+ Binary on August 9th, 2012 at 6:09 am said:

When will this be on the PSN ?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:16 am said:

No release date yet, but we’ll let you know as soon as we can!

+ remanutd5 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:10 am said:

i’m not an RPG kinda guy but i have played and love some action RPGs through generations and this game looks like a very good action RPG , if there is a demo on the store and i try it and like it, i’ll buy it for sure. Looks really good.

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:21 am said:

Thank you! It’s definitely action-y, if that’s what you’re looking for. Very, veeeery action-y. And since you like demos, you’ll be happy to know we’ll have a demo for Ragnarok Odyssey! It might be coming out shortly after the game’s release, but we’re still ironing out the details there. We hope you enjoy it!

+ remanutd5 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:11 am said:

oh and vita is getting good games with Sound Shapes, this game and Little Big Planet next month.

+ iriihutoR84 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:17 am said:

Why is there an Orgarhythm picture in this article? I know XSEED is publishing that game too but it doesn’t really belong there it seems?

Looking forward to seeing dates for both games, hopefully soon!

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

You know, I have no idea, haha. At least it’s a very pretty screenshot to go along with the Ragnarok Odyssey ones.

Thanks a lot! We’ll try and keep you posted!

+ darylsdn on August 9th, 2012 at 6:19 am said:

Looks great! Will it come to Europe?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

We only have the North American rights, so we can’t answer anything about Europe, sadly!

+ logicsquirrel on August 9th, 2012 at 6:20 am said:

I will be getting this as soon as it is on the Playstation Store… I have been waiting for it.

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

:D Awesome! I’m very happy to hear that!

+ BlindsideDork on August 9th, 2012 at 6:20 am said:

I’d like to see more video of gameplay/fighting. And co-op is how many players?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

We’ll have a gameplay trailer before the game comes out, promise! It’ll be a sight to see, the gameplay is pretty action-y. And Ragnarok Odyssey will have 4-player co-op, no versus mode.

+ Gorvi on August 9th, 2012 at 6:24 am said:

Absolutely can not wait for this game, it looks fantastic. Will all the DLC from the Asian versions be included?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:29 am said:

I’m glad you’re so excited for it! That makes me excited to write about it and stuff. All patches from the Japanese version will be already included right from the start, and all DLC from the Japanese version will be released as DLC.

+ inFAMOUS-787 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:34 am said:

At this point i will buy anything that drops for this thing just do dust it off,after gravity rush i havent seen anything! only so much gems one can collect…..

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

We’re happy it’s a gem you want to collect! A very pretty gem.

+ RdgMenezes on August 9th, 2012 at 6:39 am said:

Finally, want it so much..

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

:D We’ll be sure to shower you with more details soon!

+ Ahkiva on August 9th, 2012 at 6:42 am said:

GIVE US A RELEASE DATE OR GIVE US DEATH!

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

NO WE CAN’T HAVE DEATH ON THIS BLOG WE LOVE YOU TOO MUCH

+ kivi95 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:45 am said:

How about a EUROPE release?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

We only have the North American rights, so we can’t answer anything about a European version. Sorry!

+ Zeruel36 on August 9th, 2012 at 6:46 am said:

Thanks so much XSEED for localizing this wonderful title. I’ve played the JP Demo and I can honestly say that this game is epic. Day one buy for me. It’s colorful and beautiful on the Vita screen. It has fun, fast paced action. Tons of customization. Best of all, 4 player coop!

Just please give us a date soon! I’m dying here! I <3 XSEED

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:33 am said:

We will, we will! We’re just making sure everything is perfect-o first for you guys. Thank you so much for the support! ♥

+ Mister-Nep on August 9th, 2012 at 6:53 am said:

I have this game already pre-ordered. on Amazon I just wanted to ask, but the answer won’t actually change my pre-order. Will the DLC included in the Asia version be free for US?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Awesome, thank you for the support! What’s free DLC in the Japanese version will be free in the North American version, and what’s paid DLC in the Japanese version will be paid in the North American version.

+ ABNVOX on August 9th, 2012 at 6:58 am said:

this game looks awesome, im def interested in picking it up!

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Thanks for being awesome! :D

+ remanutd5 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:04 am said:

i know this is off topic but i dont know where to post it, hey Jeff, Sid, Rey or anybody at the blog i keep hearing sony will drop the price of a bunch of psvita and ps3 games next week but i want to know if you guys are dropping prices of the digital versions too, i mean i will be buying Resistance Burning Skies and ModNation Racers Road Trip for my little nephew but i want the digital versions on psn.

+ JegBot on August 9th, 2012 at 7:04 am said:

I NEED a game like this for my Vita!

+ RdgMenezes on August 9th, 2012 at 7:05 am said:

Zeruel36 Day one buy for me too, cant wait to see porings, poporings, etc.. :)

+ Beast780 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:06 am said:

I am so excited for this one!

+ BlooodyCow on August 9th, 2012 at 7:10 am said:

Release date?

Couple of questions.
1) Can you craft new weapons and armors from your quests?
2) Is it online and offline?
3) Will there be a digital version?

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

We’ll let you know of a release date soon! We just want to make sure things are a-ok first.

1.) Yes! Acquiring weapons and armor works like this: You can defeat enemies and they’ll drop a rare weapon, or they’ll drop items that can be used for crafting. You can visit the Clothing store or the Blacksmith and, from a list of weapons/clothing that grows bigger with each chapter, use those items to create a brand new weapon/outfit! And even better, if you’re pretty partial to a particular weapon or outfit, you can upgrade those as well to benefit you. I’m partial to the Gunner outfit, myself, hahaha.

2.) There is an offline single-player mode, but you can also do online co-op with up to four players. Have fun taking out really strong giants with your friends and stuff!

3.) Yes! Digital and Physical release, so the best of both worlds.

+ TomatoDragon on August 9th, 2012 at 7:18 am said:

Okay…this is looking good to me. Vita is picking up heat. Will keep my eye on this. :)

+ InvaderZig on August 9th, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

Well, we may have lost Monster Hunter, but we gained this, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Dragon’s Crown. I’m leaning more towards the latter two, but this looks interesting as well. I hope the ridiculous grinding from the original online game is not present though

+ remanutd5 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

wow i have just seen gameplay video in youtube, this game looks really good.

+ bmart008 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:22 am said:

I’m excited for this game, but there is a problem with it….

No release date! Give us the release date! I want it!

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

We’ll let you know soon! :D

+ Christian399 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

Wondering like the rest here as to what the release date is.

+ Christian399 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

Oh, and any chance of bringing any of the Vita F2P MMOs over? Gamearts has one in the pipeline and there is a second one that I can’t recall off the top of my head.

+ DarktaxFA on August 9th, 2012 at 7:34 am said:

bring this game to the EU and i will get all my friends to buy it been looking it to come over here since saw footage of it in japan ; D

+ Mterre on August 9th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

More than child’s play disappointment

+ creid8 on August 9th, 2012 at 7:44 am said:

The image links don’t work, flickr says they are “private pages.”

+ Shadow_Kamui on August 9th, 2012 at 7:56 am said:

will be demo of this game ????

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

Yes! There will be a demo, though it might come out shortly after the game is out.

+ MarcoRelius on August 9th, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

Wait so what is the release date? You can at least tell us that :/

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

We can’t! We wish we could, but we want to be extra sure of the release date before we announce anything. We’ll let you know when we know!

+ Reluctant-Hero on August 9th, 2012 at 8:12 am said:

A few questions:

- Will the online “network play” patch be applied to the US release?
- Will the physical, retail, copy of the game include a printed instruction manual?

Other than those two questions, just say the word on an official release date, XSEED. My money will be yours.

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

1.) Yes! All patches made in the Japanese version will be included right from the start.
    2.) Vita games typically comes with digital only instruction manuals, but we haven’t finalized out packaging yet. Stay tuned!

And we’ll let you know of a release date when we can! Promise!

+ Sevyne on August 9th, 2012 at 8:23 am said:

I too would love to know a release date. IF it is true it is due for August it would be a bit annoying to not have that officially announced yet. People like to prepare for releases by putting a little money aside. Releasing on short notice is kind of annoying.

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

Any dates you see currently are not official release dates, but placeholder dates made by retailers. We’ll let you know when we have a release date! We keep it a little closer than average because we like to be absolutely sure that it’s coming out on that date. :D

+ sirauron14 on August 9th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

when is the release date!!!

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

We’ll let you know when we have one!

+ RenderMonk on August 9th, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

Thank you soooo much for finally bringing some RPG action to the Vita. RPG’s are what’s missing from the Vita’s library. I too really hope it comes out in August, but from what I read in the latest Game Informer magazine, it looks like the release date is set for September 11th guys. Hopefully this is misinformation, as now is when the Vita needs this release, not next month. But either way, I’m pumped to finally get some kick-butt RPG action on my Vita.

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Any dates you see are placeholder dates, since we haven’t announced a release date yet. But thank you so much for the love, and we’ll let you know how things are going soon!

+ guitarded77 on August 9th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

August 28th (source: Amazon)

I’ve been waiting for this game to come to the US.

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

No official release date yet- all dates floating about now are just placeholder dates from the retailer. We’ll let you know soon!

+ mckg123456789 on August 9th, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

FINALLY ! PLease tell me it’s coming out august 21st! or somewhere in that timeframe! I want this game sooo bad ! My vita is urging for me to insert this game into it ;)

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 9:57 am said:

We’ll let you know when it’s coming out, but not yet! We are very happy that you’re excited for it. :D

+ SolduNuts on August 9th, 2012 at 9:21 am said:

I really want the Vita to succeed with plenty of RPG’s like the PSP did. This game and Persona 4 Golden seem to keep the RPG tradition alive on Sony handhelds. This game has peaked my interests and I will be looking out for more info about it. Thanks for another good looking game on the best portable ever, the Vita.

Sold.

+ Neil on August 9th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

This is exactly the kind of game I want to play right now.

+ MushThePainter on August 9th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

so awesome, please give a release date so i can slap a pre order down!

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on August 9th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

this is the first jrpg slashing into the vita and is about time. i will buy day one or preorder given the option (digital).

Keep them coming, we keep buying!!!

+ Stealth20k on August 9th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

When will xseed finish legend of heroes

+ C98976 on August 9th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

wish it were coming to europe!!

+ Sonicfan11589 on August 9th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

This makes up for Phantasy Star Portable 2 not being playable on Vita and to hold over till Phantasy Star Online 2 for Vita some time next year. Thank you! I’m definitely interested in this game.

+ LS_Lodofan on August 9th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

I’m waiting this game for 6Months! I can’t wait anymore! Give us a release date pleaaaase!
No doubt… this will be the best game of vita!

+ Brittany Avery on August 9th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

Hee, I’m glad you think that! We’ll let you know the release date ASAP! :D

+ DesmortoX on August 9th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

I was envying the japonoses cause only they had the best releases. Thx god you’re releasing these great tittles here too!

+ furlowguy134 on August 9th, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

make sure to keep us posted love games like this but im looking for a game called jade cacoon can you help me out here was wondering if it could b put into playstation store

PAGE 1 2 3