Minecraft PS4

Media Molecule’s New Project Revealed: Tearaway for PS Vita

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar + Posted by Siobhan Reddy on Aug 14, 2012 // Studio Director, Media Molecule

Tearaway is kind of like a buddy movie. It stars iota, a messenger from a paper dimension, whose envelope head contains an urgent message to deliver… to you! It’s a very special message, and one that’s unique for each and every player. In order to read yours, you’ll need to take up the role of co-star and, together with iota, journey through the vibrant papery landscape — two buddies going on an epic adventure.

You and iota will travel afar, taking on enemies and helping those in need. You’ll conquer adversity and discover magical papery surprises. But in Tearaway, you’re holding more than just a PS Vita in your hands — you’re holding the paper world itself!

Using the god-like powers inherent to someone who can hold an entire world in their giant hands, you can make your presence felt using a wide range of godly powers that take advantage of all the PS Vita’s bells and whistles — some subtle and some epic. You can shake things up or turn them upside down. A gentle breath from you is a gusty storm. You can even poke your fingers into the back of the PS Vita to tear through into the world and help iota complete this very special delivery.

Check out all this and more in the trailer below…

Anything you see in Tearaway’s papercraft world can be created in the real world from bits of paper! See for yourself — head on over to our Facebook page to get the plans to make your very own customizable Tearaway Papercraft Elk. Be sure to visit us on Twitter too, and show us your creations! For anything else, you can check out Tearaway’s official site.

Tearaway for PS VitaTearaway for PS Vita

Check out all the news coming out of Gamescom 2012 on PlayStation.Blog

See the First Trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita

PlayStation All-Stars Gamescom Reveal: Dante, Sackboy, Spike, Ratchet and Clank

Gamescom: New The Last of Us Trailer

Watch the GamesCom Trailer for Killzone: Mercenary

PSone Classics Coming to PS Vita via the latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Until Dawn — New PS Move Horror Game — Announced for PS3

The Curtain is Raised on Puppeteer, a New PS3 Adventure

PlayStation Plus Coming to PS Vita, Online Game Save Storage Getting Upgraded

Are You Ready for the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

73 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ mikeyvittelli on August 14th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

Im sooooo excited!!

+ onslaughtree on August 14th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

This is a very interesting title. I loved me some LBP, but this looks liks some reall good combinations of touch controls and platforming. I hope the price is righ, I’m very interested with this one.

+ D-Squad3 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

I’m already sold on this title but I’m just a bit let down that you guys aren’t working on a PS3 title/ :(

+ freshprincepbg on August 14th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

I think I need to buy a vita.

+ jonboi24 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

Oh Media Molecule, I seriously don’t know how ya’ll brain works but you guys are just mad geniuses.

+ polo155 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:06 pm said:

i want this on my vita

+ CatatonicAlex on August 14th, 2012 at 1:07 pm said:

I think this is sort of a ‘filler project’ for them. Their next BIG thing is obviously going to be a ps3/4 game.
I’m not saying that this game won’t be any good, or that I’m not buying it- because I am and it will be.

#2
If it’s a full length game it will cost $39.99. You cannot expect anything less from a Triple-A studio.

+ SalMoriarty on August 14th, 2012 at 1:08 pm said:

Media Molecule is the only company keeping the Vita alive.

+ mcx on August 14th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

Looks like we are gonna need a bigger memory card. :D

+ Berae on August 14th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

I was not sure at first and then with the trailer it looked fantastic. Unfortunetly, Im not a portable gaming system fan So Ill wait for PS3 version ;)

+ Satnamji on August 14th, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

I don’t own a Vita, and never had any interest in a handheld gaming device, but this game really makes me rethink that.

+ jimfear on August 14th, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

looklike another “childish” game. Look great but i’ll pass. LBP was too “childish” for me.

+ Elvick_ on August 14th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

@10: Enjoy waiting forever. See you a week from never.

The design of the game wouldn’t even work on the PS3.

+ Elvick_ on August 14th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

Anyhoo, game looks incredible.

@12: the only childish thing here is your attitude. What are you early teens? God I hope so, because there’s no reason an adult shouldn’t be passed that frame of mind already.

+ Surfaced on August 14th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

It’s… goddamn brilliant. Typical MediaMolecule.

+ Scavengre on August 14th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

The trailer made me smile several times, the game should do it many many more times. SOLD

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

Day one purchase!!!
I’ve seen enought to know that I’ll be buying this for sure.
Just gimme a release date so that I can run to the store to preorder
*whips out check book

+ Bcrazyman on August 14th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

HEY GREAT PICS! I REALLY LOVE IT! CANT WAIT 4 THIS GAME! ANTHOER GAME FOR MY VITA!

+ Bcrazyman on August 14th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

HEY ANY WORD ON A RELEASE DATE OR PRICE? NEED TO KNOW THANKS!

+ jimmyfoxhound on August 14th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

Very very cool looking! Lots of great ideas there! Can’t wait to see more!!

+ deltakong on August 14th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

best looking game from gamescom! can not wait

+ Robbie_G_lrish on August 14th, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

It looks incredibly innovative and has a great art style. I’m curious if there will be a “public” mode or something so everyone’s not yelling at their Vitas on the bus.

+ MarinoBrea on August 14th, 2012 at 1:40 pm said:

WOW THEY MADE FUN INTO A GAME!

+ NauseousPenguin on August 14th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

Until now, I was getting tired of not having Vita games to play, but this looks really promising! I think this is just the kind of game the Vita needs to really take off!

+ phzzt on August 14th, 2012 at 1:46 pm said:

Too cool. Love the art style. You can tell this is from Media Molecule. Poor Alex was getting choked up on stage. Looks like you guys have worked very hard on this.

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 14th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

And what was this about Playstation not showing the Vita any love? There were more vita announcements today than I could handle with hopefully more coming soon.

Anyway, this game looks really…interesting. But it’s from media molecule so I know they won’t disappoint.
It would be kinda cool if you could take pictures of paper sculptures or origami and scan them into the game. I make a mean paper crane! lol

+ Neil on August 14th, 2012 at 2:03 pm said:

I love inventive new IP’s

+ Squiggle55 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:09 pm said:

You guys rock.

+ ken_kimura on August 14th, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

The game looks brilliant. Also, kudos to whoever is picking the songs you guys use in the trailers. LBP has a fantastic soundtrack so I look forward “hearing” more about tearaway.

+ Type-F- on August 14th, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

This game seems to bring out the child in me :D

+ GreyLynx on August 14th, 2012 at 2:33 pm said:

@SalM …..you forget about games like the Souls game that inafune’s working on and Gravity Rush/Daze?

+ JeffsonP_US on August 14th, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

Simply amazing! Can’t wait to play this! Can I pre-order already? =)

+ Psikorps on August 14th, 2012 at 2:40 pm said:

Gee, thanks Media Molecule.

I let my son watch the video, guess what…you guys just cost me more money, now I HAVE TO buy a copy or I’ll never hear the end of it.

Combining, fun, simplistic looking gameplay into a cute world…how could you.

Now my lil guy is going on and on about how he can roar into the mic on his Vita to make the little guy roar to blow away the bad guys and how he can use his fingers to swat them away and stuff, you guys just dont know when to quit.

Come on seriously…you even added great music…

I cant win, I should just keep my wallet open and let you guys dip into it whenever ya feel the need to do so…

Signed, Broke Parent & Happy Gamer.
PS: I woulda bought a copy even if he was not interested (as if there was a chance of that). :P

+ Korbei83 on August 14th, 2012 at 2:44 pm said:

Not interested in blowing on, or yelling at my game hardware.

+ DANGAZN on August 14th, 2012 at 2:49 pm said:

Stealing Sheep getting some mad love. I approve. Definitely picking this up.

+ CatatonicAlex on August 14th, 2012 at 3:04 pm said:

If by childish you mean creative and innovative then yes, this game is very childish.

I don’t mind the blowing as much as the yelling. I’m a very meek individual so I hope you provide us a walk-a-round.

+ EmperorKorea on August 14th, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Is this a full retail game? Also, release date?

+ lisatsunami on August 14th, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Unique gaming experience. I will buy this.

As for the many people who whine about “new games, not ports” for Vita, here’s one so buy it.

+ seph1r0th00 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

This looks just as fun and original as LBP did when it first arrived on the scene. MM, you are all incredible! This is a must have on Vita! I can’t wait!

+ GameKing92 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:25 pm said:

Should have been made for the PS3 as well. The PS3 can handle any type of game as long as the Dualshock is around. Anyway, MediaMolecule, Good luck with the release. I’m just not that much of a portable gamer to buy a PS Vita. Looks unique, but I’ll stick with PS3 for now. Hopefully a 3D LBP 3 will come out in the future ; )

+ MLGM on August 14th, 2012 at 3:25 pm said:

This game looks fun. I got my vita and was a little board with it at first disappointed they didn’t use all the fun features this game looks like it will take things to the next level. I’m a big LBP fan MM has some very creative stuff and this is something I would expect from them excellent.

+ TheTwelve on August 14th, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

Consider this bought. — 12

+ jackwhitefoot on August 14th, 2012 at 4:38 pm said:

Now I want a PS Vita more. Consider it eventually bought.

+ AgentX on August 14th, 2012 at 5:21 pm said:

Very impressive! The game looks great, and seems to be appropriately suited to the hardware as well.

Media Molecule is surely one of the brightest gems in Sony’s crown. Keep up the good work!

+ RuinRone on August 14th, 2012 at 5:33 pm said:

Awesome trailer! Pre-order without a doubt.

But, just 1 question…what is that song? It is absolutely perfect for your game and the trailer (of course, that’s just how you guys roll).

Thanks!

+ D-Squad3 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:54 pm said:

Release Date?

+ freshprincepbg on August 14th, 2012 at 6:14 pm said:

Is Play Create Share apart of this game?

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

+ James Spafford on August 17th, 2012 at 5:33 am said:

Tearaway focusses on playing, rather than creating, but there will be lots of room to be creative with personalisation, customisation, etc. Also, if you take the plunge you’ll find that everything in the game can be made from bits of paper in the real world :)

We’ve given out plans to make the papercraft Elk from the trailer if you’re up for some arts and crafts : http://tearaway.mediamolecule.com/

+ djml9 on August 14th, 2012 at 6:30 pm said:

ok, i think mm has a portal to the world of small, adorable, human shaped characters cuz they keep whippin em out. and can anyone else forsee some lbp dlc, lol. imma have to get this, mm has never let me down.

+ remanutd5 on August 14th, 2012 at 7:30 pm said:

MM have to be one of the most creative studios i have ever seen in gaming, very smart decision sony made when they added them to the playstation family, people were complaining that sony doesnt let its big studios develop games for handheld systems, well there you have it guys, MM and GG are developing Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary. consider 2 copies of Tearaway bought day 1 MM. i cant freaking wait to see how you guys are gonna take advantage of Near, is Tearaway supporting Play, Create, Share?

+ Keysersoze10033 on August 14th, 2012 at 7:56 pm said:

Wow, that was amazing. 1st day buy.

PAGE 1 2