PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

The Curtain is Raised on Puppeteer, a New PS3 Adventure

Gavin Moore's Avatar + Posted by Gavin Moore on Aug 14, 2012 // Art Director, SCE Worldwide Studios

Hi guys. Let’s get the introductions out the way so can get right to the exciting stuff. My name is Gavin, and for the past nine years I have been living in Tokyo working for Sony’s Worldwide Studios.

Recently, I and a small — but incredibly talented — group of game makers have been hard at work on a new PlayStation 3 game called Puppeteer. I’m excited to be able to talk directly to you guys, the heart of PlayStation, and give you the heads-up on the game first.

Puppeteer for PS3

Puppeteer takes place in a magical puppet theatre, owned and run by the slightly eccentric but thoroughly charming Professor Gregorious T. Oswald. His latest production is the weirdly titled “The Perilous Journey of a Boy Named Kutaro.”

On one dark, moonlit night, the star of the show, a young boy named Kutaro, is carried away by the maleficent Moon Bear King to a black castle, where the unlucky lad is transformed into a puppet. Kutaro then displeases the terrible tyrant who duly devours the boy’s wooden head and casts away his body. But the headless hero is not alone, for he discovers a very special pair of magic scissors, which will help him on his harrowing quest to find his head — and his way home.

To show you what I mean, here’s a look at our announcement trailer and the first glimpse of Puppeteer:

Unlike most games where you move through the world, the world of Puppeteer actually moves around you, with all the action taking place on the same stage. The sets are continually moving and changing, taking you on an adventure with surprises in every scene. It’s packed full of weird and wild situations that we think you’re going to love.

I’m a big fan of old school platform gaming, which we feature in abundance here, but we’ve added a twist — Kutaro’s scissors give him the power to cut his way through this dynamic world. You’re going to have a blast slicing your way through Kutaro’s adventure, or taking out one of the game’s numerous bosses with a few deft cuts.

Puppeteer for PS3

That’s all I can share for now, but I’ll be back to keep you updated on what’s happening with Puppeteer in the near future. For now, I’ll leave you with a few words from the Professor himself…

“Prepare for an astonishing adventure full of mystery, danger and artistry meant to astound the eye and capture the human soul.”

Check out all the news coming out of Gamescom 2012 on PlayStation.Blog

Media Molecule’s New Project Revealed: Tearaway for PS Vita

See the First Trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita

PlayStation All-Stars Gamescom Reveal: Dante, Sackboy, Spike, Ratchet and Clank

Gamescom: New The Last of Us Trailer

Watch the GamesCom Trailer for Killzone: Mercenary

PSone Classics Coming to PS Vita via the latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Until Dawn — New PS Move Horror Game — Announced for PS3

PlayStation Plus Coming to PS Vita, Online Game Save Storage Getting Upgraded

Are You Ready for the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

PAGE 1 2

+ detictiveconan on August 14th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

This looks great Mr. Moore, It ‘s so nice to see that the whole games industry hasn’t turned to brutal hyper violence.

+ FearMonkey on August 14th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

This looks awesome! Can’t wait till I can play it! :D

+ CiscoKid_22_ on August 14th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

Impressive. Had to watch the trailer a few times to see everything that was going on.

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Mick Perona on August 14th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

Thanks Cisco, We can’t wait for you to play it!

+ Burmecian_Rat on August 14th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

You guys actually think this game (at least as depicted in the trailer) is appropriate for children??! I found it creepy/disturbing to watch as an adult. Really not sure this is something that should be shown to young innocent developing minds, unless you’re trying to warp them.

+ jonboi24 on August 14th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

Wow the art style is just sheer madness, I love it. The lighting is amazing. A wonderful surprise from GamesCom. Clearly one of the games I look forward to playing in the near future. I love Sony and taking chances on new IPs.

+ lisatsunami on August 14th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Not being an old-school gamer, I generally hate platformers but I make exceptions for really clever, well-executed & novel games. This looks likes it’s going to be pretty good. I look forward to more information. Great presentation @ Gamescon.

+ CatatonicAlex on August 14th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Damn. I was hoping for a Ps Vita game from this studio.
Seems like my kind of game too.

+ Seeing_Red_Again on August 14th, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

Is this a PlayStation Network game or a retail PS3 game?

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Mick Perona on August 14th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

Hi Red, Puppeteer will be available on Blu-ray Disk at your favorite retailer!

+ BigGZ4CZ on August 14th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Love great platformers, this one seems to have a lot of potential

+ TwinDad on August 14th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

Not another dudebro shooter, and to top it off the game looks super fun. Count me in.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on August 14th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

WWWOOOOOWWWW… Seriously… This looks exceptional. I haven’t been this floored by a trailer in a very long time.

+ boxmyth on August 14th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Puppeteer, Rain, and Tear Away are my personal games of show.
This was better than E3′s presentation. Good job, Sony.

+ DazeOfWar on August 14th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

This looks pretty fun. I’ll be watching this.

@Burmecian: Where in the article does it say this is aimed at kids? Also have you ever watched a Tim Burton kids movie? This reminds me of those when I saw it. Also when I was a kid there was movies that were kind of scary to watch. Secret of Nihm, Labyrinth, The Last Unicorn just to name a few that had those darker scarier themes. They sure didn’t warp my mind or my sisters.

Like he says in the article

“I’m a big fan of old school platform gaming, which we feature in abundance here, but we’ve added a twist”
Makes me think this is actually aimed at older people.

+ polo155 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

yea, i like this very good! cant wait. dont forget to incorporate ps vita controls :)

+ KidCommando on August 14th, 2012 at 12:16 pm said:

This game was definitely a surprise, it looks outstanding!

+ KidCommando on August 14th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

That one character reminds me of Mr. Oogie Boogie.

+ Kylote on August 14th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

I love the artstyle of this… so this is a sidescroller, but with sets change out instead of the screen actually scrolling?

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Mick Perona on August 14th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

Hi Kylote, Correct! This all takes place at a magical puppet theater where the stage, sets, and lighting keep dynamically changing!

+ jonboi24 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

I’m kinda confused because this was shown after the PSN exclusive game Rain but is Peppeteer available on disc or only digital?

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Mick Perona on August 14th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

See my comment above! :)

+ cookiemonster525 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

This is the best new game at Gamescom

+ Burmecian_Rat on August 14th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

@ DazeOfWar

The developer in the press conference said he made this game for his kid, and kids around the world, when he introduced it.

Also I don’t think Tim Burton’s stuff is something that should be shown to children either.

+ saab01 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

It looks like a fun game.

+ GhostMachine1 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

Between this and Rain, it looks like Japan has been stepping it up a notch!

+ darthelghast on August 14th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

It’s been almost 6 years since the PS3 came out and we’re still getting creative and original games like this. Who needs next gen? Not me, that’s for sure.

+ DazeOfWar on August 14th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

@Burmecian: Well I guess it’s a game you don’t have to worry about enjoying then.

+ PAPAMiDNiT3 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

WOW very creative! loving thre art style. looks like a top tier psn title

+ DarkPyroZXA on August 14th, 2012 at 12:53 pm said:

wow, just wow, looks absolutely amazing, more awesome PS3 exclusives abound!!!!

+ freshprincepbg on August 14th, 2012 at 12:53 pm said:

I’m interested

+ Sheep-C-Explorer on August 14th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

This game looks amazing! I can’t wait to play it. :)

+ cjones205 on August 14th, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

Wow! You guys have created something that looks amazing! Make sure that audience cheers from beginning to end. This is definitely a MUST buy!

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:02 pm said:

OMG this looks amazing!!!
I haven’t seen a side scroller this amazing in awhile!
Day 1 purchase for sure. All I need to know is the release date and I will preorder!!!!

+ mcx on August 14th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

Visually stunning art style! Can’t wait to try this game out.

+ Berae on August 14th, 2012 at 1:23 pm said:

I thought it was a PSN release, anyway it looks very fun nonetheless

+ Elvick_ on August 14th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

I don’t see how it’s an issue for kids… I’d go into a big spiel about it, but people are set in their ways. Keep treating kids like mindless dolts if you want to, but they’re have more potential than most allow them to have these days.

Anyhoo… game looks amazing. I’m glad that it’s a retail title.

+ Elvick_ on August 14th, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

but they*… xP

+ aro52 on August 14th, 2012 at 1:53 pm said:

How long until someone recreates that trailer (in playable form) in LBP2… ;)

This looks solid! Bring this to Vita as well.

+ Neil on August 14th, 2012 at 2:04 pm said:

Looks unbelievable. Will buy.

+ Trieloth on August 14th, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

Seriously wow wow wow! I stopped the trailer so it wouldnt spoil the game.This was a nice surprise! Will buy ASAP!

+ DasRequiem on August 14th, 2012 at 3:05 pm said:

this looks amazing! Is this a full ps3 game or a PSN game? Either way, it looks very good.

+ seph1r0th00 on August 14th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

This looks like a ton of fun! I’m digging the resurgence of 2D side scrollers that is going on right now. This game looks way cool and I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

+ ps_n_blog_ac on August 14th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

this game look s pretty cool and creative can’t wait for more info :) also Burmecian_rat i can see you’re concern about this game but it all depends on the parent and child (if their responsible…) but Dazeofwar has a point there has been many darker theme things aimed at children ( EX:fairytales) but this game doesn’t look that dark to make kids go insane. besides the game might be rated E+10 and might not have many bad things ;). Anyways might pick up the game. ps. puppets have always been pretty creepy

+ ReptileHand on August 14th, 2012 at 3:39 pm said:

Wait so we get something nice and unique like this that ISN’T a PSN game OR a PS move game?! From the trailer I was worried what it was going to be on.

For a full game? this game looks creepy and intense! Kids will love it! Trust me. When you don’t have a matured mind as a grown up does, your imagination runs WILD!

I used to play this pac man game on the dreamcast as a kid and it was scary and creepy! It was made my mind open up! It was so immersive. I hope this game does so well and opens up the imagination inside that little kid’s head.

@Elvick, hehe I agree. Kids have so much potential. Although it’s being wasted on COD and the like. Not sure if we’ll ever deviate them from brutal mass murdering hyper violent video games. I think it’s too late at this point…

anyways Sony is really knocking is out of the park for the Vita. I’ll see what Black Friday holds in store. Right now it looks terrible! But with PS1 support at the end of the month and a slew of amazing new games coming up (Terraway looks like my kind of game) I’m changing my mind about it!

+ Heavenly_king on August 14th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

this game would be better as a PSVITA game.

+ Player_550 on August 14th, 2012 at 5:12 pm said:

WOW. This game is so amazing, exciting adventure. I am really Interested in playing puppeteer.

+ freshprincepbg on August 14th, 2012 at 6:13 pm said:

As interested as I am, I don’t know if this is a $60 game.

+ djml9 on August 14th, 2012 at 7:26 pm said:

looks like lbpVita + trine. looks cool, but imma have to pass.

+ Dr-Antonio on August 14th, 2012 at 7:59 pm said:

This is utterly amazing! It has been some time since I saw something with this genuine magical feel and atmosphere, great idea to base the concept in a puppet theatre. I am sure it will be special, like almost seeing a spectacle in front of you as you play it. Also, the art direction and the care on crafting profundity, textures and volume are superb. It makes me happy that a lot of producers are brave enough for such experimentation and artistic improvement, and that PlayStation is also supporting it.

+ etebitan on August 14th, 2012 at 9:26 pm said:

Will this support ps move?? please say yes!!

+ cosmis_chaos on August 14th, 2012 at 9:44 pm said:

I would like to say that you are right. You are incredibly talented. This game looks awesome. It looks like just like the right amount of creepiness and charm just like Coraline or Nightmare Before Christmas. I was so amazed at what I was watching I watched it three more times to make sure my eyes weren’t fooling me. I congratulate you on making a game like this. Like Tearaway it looks like loads of fun and the different heads things looks interesting. May I assume that each head gives you a different ability? If so that sounds exactly like that game Dynamite Headdy which if i remember was also a game about a puppet I think. Anyway good luck with this game. If it plays as goods as it looks you have a customer for sure the first day. Also can I also assume that the creatures following you have some abilities as well. Are they your conscious like Jimmy Cricket?

+ SolduNuts on August 14th, 2012 at 11:08 pm said:

This game looks very very interesting and one I will keep an eye out for. I had to watch the trailer a couple times, as others have mentioned, just to see the game in action. Since this is a full retail release, I do want a nice full single player game. Keep up the great work, this game looks awesome.

Sold.

+ R_a_z_i_e_l on August 14th, 2012 at 11:37 pm said:

For the love of all that is holy, will there be a Vita version ?

PAGE 1 2