PS4 - Destiny

The Monsters and Magic of Soul Sacrifice

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar + Posted by Kumi Yuasa on Aug 15, 2012 // Producer, SCEA

It’s been a while since our last Soul Sacrifice blog post, so with Gamescom taking place this week I thought I’d take a moment to share some new game details. In our debut post, we talked about the reality-blended experience and the concept of sacrificing in Soul Sacrifice on PS Vita. Now, I’m going to provide a deeper insight into the game.

In the world of Soul Sacrifice, monsters are what have become of humans who succumbed to darkness, using magic according to their desire. The mission of a sorcerer is to exterminate these monsters. Now, you may be wondering what sort of monsters you will come across and how they succumbed to this fate. Let’s take a look at the back story of one of these monsters — “Griffon.”

Soul Sacrifice: Griffon

Griffon
He was a noble. His lands were vast, and he lived in opulence, supported by heavy taxes exacted from those who lived in his dominion. One day, he was presented with an offering from the people — a golden statue of a figure combining beast, bird, and man. His heart was swept away by the figure, and he felt an unnatural adoration for it. The power of the unnatural love was such that it drove him to kill his wife for hiding the statue from him. The years passed, and eventually the people rose up in rebellion, unable to further shoulder the burden of the noble’s oppressive taxes. They swarmed around the noble’s castle and found him in his treasure vault. By the time they found him, however, he was no longer human. His love of gold had allowed the golden statue, which he loved without limit, to take over his body, transforming him into the statue’s likeness.

Now that you’ve gotten a glimpse into the background of how Griffon was spawned, let’s see what magic you have at your disposal to battle against him and other monsters. Plants, stones, and other materials obtained in the game are given up as offerings. These offerings grant you magical powers — the more valuable the offering, the stronger the sorcery it unleashes.

Soul Sacrifice: Plant SwordSoul Sacrifice: Chain Saw

Plant Sword

Plants such as “swordsman’s seedlings” and “swordmaster’s seedlings” can be given as an offering to harness this close combat magic. The seedlings grow sharp and hard, cutting enemies with their edges.

Raijin Statue Axe

“Thunderstone razors” and “Thunderstone blades” can be given as an offering to harness this close combat magic. The axe, shrouded in thunder, can strike tremendous blows.

Soul Sacrifice: Giant's BonesSoul Sacrifice: Rock Shield

Giant’s Bones

“Giant’s bones” can be given as an offering to harness close combat magic. Your fist becomes hardened and massive, striking down all before you.

Stone Wall Ruins

“Stone wall ruins” can be given as an offering to harness defensive magic. An enormous defensive wall appears, protecting you from your enemies’ attacks.

PAGE 1 2

+ jacksplicer on August 15th, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

I can’t wait for this game

+ remanutd5 on August 15th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

i still dont understand why sony doesnt show this game at their american and european press conferences, this game looks really outstanding, it would have been the perfect follow up to Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary.

+ RdgMenezes on August 15th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:

Great game, cant wait for this..

Multiplayer Co-op FTW… :)

+ Gorvi on August 15th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:

Is there a release window set for Soul Sacrifice yet? I’m assuming early 2013, but I can’t recall if that’s been stated officially or not. Either way, the game looks fantastic, I’ll be grabbing it whenever it hits.

+ Bcrazyman on August 15th, 2012 at 8:22 am said:

hey great game! looks very good nice art work wow really amazing! cant wait for this game also is that a tree sowrd? just asking looks very kool! any word on price or release date? just asking cant wait to play this game thanks again looks vrey good!

+ GhostMachine1 on August 15th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

This game has great potential. Can’t wait to see more!

+ DrApollo on August 15th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

This is exciting stuff! Can’t wait to see more.

+ TheLastLegacy1 on August 15th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

I can’t wait for this game, it will be amazing and worth the wait. Thanks for the Info.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on August 15th, 2012 at 12:44 pm said:

Thank you for your comment! The team is working really hard for the game. Please stay tuned for more info!

+ iDoneGotU on August 15th, 2012 at 8:47 am said:

Why wasn’t this game showed during the Gamescom conference?

+ onslaughtree on August 15th, 2012 at 8:50 am said:

Would like to see some in-game fottage please.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on August 15th, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

We’ll be bringing you a lot more on Soul Sacrifice. Stay tuned for more in the near future!

+ Stealth20k on August 15th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

ehhh

+ KeefRiffards on August 15th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

So psyched! Looks like it’s going to be amazing. Keep up the great work guys!

+ supermoc10 on August 15th, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

This game looks great. I can’t wait to play it with my friends. Can you guys release a video demo or a dev diary since you don’t show off this game at Sony’s conferences(like #2 said, it would’ve been a great follow up to Tearaway and Killzone. It would’ve also been better to end the show with this instead of CoD)?

+ bmart008 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:01 am said:

@ onslaughtree there’s a lot of gameplay on Youtube.
Like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z2ed2JJYTk

Game looks great by the way, I would love a release date!

+ remanutd5 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:02 am said:

at 13 yes i think it would have been better to show Soul Sacrifice gameplay video instead of Call of Duty at the end of the conference, i dont know what sony is thinking about letting Nihilistic handle big name franchises. Call of Duty looked terrible compare to Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary but hey those 2 games are developed by AAA world class studios.

+ Sparkz92 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:06 am said:

Please show off some of the long-ranged magic abilities next!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on August 15th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

I’ll remember your request for my next blog post. There are many, many magic abilities you can use in this game and I’ll be sure to bring more info about it!

+ NickNacca611 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

Who cares about CoD Vita when this game exists. It looks awesome.

+ Xcaligamer1 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

want…now….

+ gamemaniac3434 on August 15th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

Cool, I like how the mechanics kind of lead into the core concept of sacrifice. Is there any conceivable way to get through the game with little to no sacrifice?

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on August 15th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

Just like our lives, everything comes with a price and we need to sacrifice in order to gain something. You need to be determined to play this game!

+ camiwaits_us on August 15th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

That Griffon design is the coolest thing i’ve seen all week.

+ SolduNuts on August 15th, 2012 at 9:59 am said:

This game has intrigued me. I like the look of it and more games for Vita is always a plus. I am glad this game is seeing an international release because it would be a shame if nobody outside of Japan got to see this great looking game. Can’t wait to see more game footage from this one.

Sold.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on August 15th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

Thank you for your kind words! Please check back for more updates in the near future.

+ erichoya on August 15th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

This just makes me want a Vita version of Demon’s Souls or Dark Souls even more…it’s the perfect platform for it.

+ PrinceofXIII on August 15th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

needs a gameplay video now :D

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 15th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Yes more Soul sacrifice news! I want this game more everytime I see it. Pretty interesting about how magic/weapons work. Will you also be able to use weapons without sacrificing?

For those who want to see gameplay footage it’s kinda old but here you go:

+ ro-kurorai on August 15th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

Thanks for supporting Vita, SS looks like loads of fun!

+ H3RO_LoZ3r on August 15th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

i want this game so bad.

+ gamelover2 on August 15th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

I saw this game and game play e3 and i was like damn wow, It’s going to very fun game that takes you and here and there. Graphics looks amazing and sound great. I wait to they bring out a demo so we can try it out.

+ TomatoDragon on August 15th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

Can’t wait!! Gonna be epic!

+ ItaChu on August 15th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

@remanutd5 what are you talking about man it was at E3 a trailer and you could play it on the showfloor …. im sure its at gamescom too lol

+ Vashtion on August 15th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

I can’t wait for this game! I’m really loving the concept of sacrificing to gain power. Very interesting and dark, but also enticing.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on August 15th, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

Thanks for your support! I was very intrigued by the concept of sacrificing too. This game will be different and your expectations will be betrayed in a good way!

+ legendkiller08 on August 15th, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

I cannot wait for this game to come out.

+ boomstickbhg on August 15th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

Haven’t seen too much about this game, but what I have seen looks pretty good.

One of the few Vita games, counting those both out or coming at some point, I’d actually want to play. Too many FPS/multiplayer games for my taste, gotta love RPGs for the single player fun.

Look forward to seeing more from this game as we get closer to a NA release.

+ The-taco-man010 on August 15th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

I know this has nothing to do with soul sacrifice but any release date for TEARAWAY

+ RenderMonk on August 15th, 2012 at 12:51 pm said:

Surely you guys don’t have a release date yet to announce, but do you have a general time frame that you’re looking at for release? Very excited for this game, love having new IP for my VITA!!

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 15th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

+ D-Squad3 on August 15th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

Release Date…

+ lisatsunami on August 15th, 2012 at 2:42 pm said:

Kumi-San, the artwork is so beautiful even though the premise scares me. I hope this is a huge seller for Vita.

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 15th, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

Easily one of my most anticipated games. Not just on the VITA but in gaming as a whole!!!
I agree with some of the other posters. This game shouldve been presented at the conference. It looks so awesome and deserving of some limelight! :D
Anyway, consider this bought! I can’t wait to see more of what Keiji Inafune and co. have in store for us!!!

+ Blkant on August 15th, 2012 at 2:48 pm said:

Seems this is the closest thing I can get to another Demon’s Souls now. Shame its not also on console though… In any case, I am really looking forward to it, heres to hoping it can somewhat fill the void the lack of a Demon’s Souls sequel left.

+ Elvick_ on August 15th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

I really hope we get a Collector’s Edition with an artbook. The art design is just phenomenal. Soundtrack would be nice too.

I can’t wait for this game.

+ ArchAngelMai on August 15th, 2012 at 6:25 pm said:

E3 had a really enticing trailer. But man a 6 month wait at least is harsh. Hopefully Ragnarok Odyssey will stop being delayed so my Vita will be happy while I wait for this.

+ luvtoseek on August 15th, 2012 at 7:08 pm said:

@ all about SS’s presence in Gamescom, I think being a Japanese production, it’s going to be more media accessible during the TG

+ luvtoseek on August 15th, 2012 at 7:09 pm said:

…TGS. Sorry about the odd post.

+ luvtoseek on August 15th, 2012 at 7:15 pm said:

Wow, just saw the trailer. The action + the gore looks fierce. The enviornments are nicely varied too. Please, please make sure the translation has been combed through & that the player camera doesn’t hinder the game. Totally hyped for SS!

+ acwey on August 15th, 2012 at 7:36 pm said:

Awesome design and art overall. I have to say this is a definite day-one purchase.
The sacrifice concept is quite intriguing.

I gotta ask though, is the gameplay more in the lines of Monster Hunter or Demon Souls or neither?

Great Job!

+ LordRaoh on August 16th, 2012 at 5:38 am said:

WOW, very impressive stuff so far. Very anxious to see this in action.

+ chowder_07 on August 16th, 2012 at 7:58 am said:

Great game,however the Soul Sacrifice title somehow offended me…

+ BigFreezy1975 on August 16th, 2012 at 7:59 am said:

Yes this game has been on my radar for a while. I can’t wait I hope there is a demo. But if not I think that I’ll be getting this as soon as it drops anyway!

+ FreshRevenge on August 16th, 2012 at 10:17 am said:

do you get a choice to play a male or female protagonist? I love the plant sword, looks very fantasy like. This may just be on my list of to get games in 2013. I am going to be broke! I love the artwork direction!

+ JuggaloMars on August 16th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

I love the backstories. Will we get more in game or elsewhere from you guys?

PAGE 1 2