PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PS Vita System Software Update (v1.80) – Take The Tour

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Aug 27, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

As most of you know we are releasing a pretty hefty System Software Update (v1.80) for PlayStation Vita (PS Vita), which will enhance your experience and also allow you to play PSone Classics on your device.

Before the update becomes available, I wanted to take the opportunity to walk you through some of the highlighted changes and give you a sneak preview of what you can expect.

PSone Classics

We are working hard to ensure that all of your favorite PS one Classics titles will be available for download directly on your PS Vita via PlayStation Store (PS Store) as soon as possible.

Here is a list of PSone Classics titles that will be available for download on 8/28:

• Arc the Lad
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • FINAL FANTASY VII
  • Hot Shots Golf 2
  • Jet Moto
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tomb Raider
  • Twisted Metal 2
  • Wild Arms

For those of you who have already purchased these titles, you will be able to re-download those games directly from your PS Store account or transfer them to your PS Vita directly from your PS3 at no extra charge.

I hope you enjoyed the video; for any additional information on PS Vita System Software Update v1.80, please visit this page when the update goes live.

As always, we appreciate and look forward to your feedback and questions below.

709 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 15

+ D-Squad3 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:23 pm said:

I can’t wait for this update!!! Kinda disappointed with the PS1 support though, I bought The Legend of Dragoon when it launched on PSN specifically for the Vita yet I can’t even play it?!!

Keep the firmware updates coming!

+ Andrefpvs on August 27th, 2012 at 6:24 pm said:

Are those really the only PS1 games that will be available to download on day 1? What about that talk about 100 classics being playable at the beginning?

+ D-Squad3 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:26 pm said:

What about flash/html support for the web browser?

+ Cyber6x on August 27th, 2012 at 6:28 pm said:

So, this plus the games MonkeyPaw confirmed?

– Tomba!
-Alundra
-Arc the Lad 1 and
-Vanguard Bandits

We need a total list please. Please, oh please make them all compatible eventually.

+ digeythedog on August 27th, 2012 at 6:28 pm said:

Alright things starting to pick up! Next big thing I want is Remote Play were I can play at least all PS2 games and then some PS3 games.

+ Teslanaut on August 27th, 2012 at 6:28 pm said:

Can we please get folders? Most operating systems have folders. Folders for games, apps, videos. Folders. I don’t like having a long list of videos in some random order. I’d like to have them organized by genre or show or whatever. Same applies to games and applications.

+ gerneric123 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

Did you guys lie to Monkey Paw? They said Tomba would be playable, and to take 6 months to only add 9 games for compatibility is insanely weak.

+ seamonkey420 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

yes!! PSOne support finally!!! just give me all of my old square games and then we’re talking! been waiting to start Chrono Cross and taking the train to work again!

+ fadi002 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

I better be able to copy the crash games from my PS3 to my Vita tomorrow…

+ sirauron14 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

this is great I hope to see more updates (monthly) with new features! the next thing that needs an update is the Browser, it needs a complete Overhal with HTML5 since we cannot have flash or just get firefox to make a full HTML5 browser.

+ B-Real206 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

9 WTF this can’t be right.

+ Malice_Mizer on August 27th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

Where are the games that MonkeyPaw Games confirmed today?

+ seamonkey420 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

also, why hold back on the titles too? holding out on your catalog only does one thing: prevents an impulse sale. if i see an old PSOne game i like or used to like on the PSN, i’ll buy it. trickling out titles is a VERY STUPID business practice, if its there we’ll buy it!

/rant on this generations idea of releasing retro games in a trickle fashion

+ gamer_316 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

dang only 9 PS1 classics available when the patch comes out? thats pretty disappointing =/

+ Tevious on August 27th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

I hope we can access more PS1 games by transferring from the PS3. If not, these weekly updates better be like 5 games every week. And if you don’t get out the most wanted games out first, you’re going to have a lot of angry people. A lot of people were already under the assumption that a 100+ games were supposed to be supported in this update. Sony also really stretched the meaning of “soon” with this update back at launch.

+ xakdublin on August 27th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

it would be awesome if the vita could play the videos posted here.

+ G-Force08 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

Glad that the system is getting an update. Still, it is a little disappointing that the 100 PSOne classics are not being made available tomorrow as once thought before.

+ krae_man on August 27th, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

Hard at work? The update is way late and that is all you have done at launch?

Don’t give us any of that “making them work is hard” crap, this is unacceptable and you know it. Any you wonder why nobody is buying Vitas…

+ KazeEternal on August 27th, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

Do the same rules apply for being able to pull PSOne titles as it was with PSP? Like I can grab FFVIII if I transfer from my PS3?

+ YungShep on August 27th, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

i hope Diablo 1 comes to the psn….i feel in love with Diablo on the PS 1…please bring it back

+ helbertpina on August 27th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

Wow. That was quite the cold shower. Is that really full initial compatibility lists? No Metal Gear Solid? Vagrant Story? Chrono Trigger? Resident Evil? =/

+ V_Ben on August 27th, 2012 at 6:35 pm said:

9. 9 PS1 Classics. That’s actually kind of embarrassing.

+ allwasgood on August 27th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

Is this a JOKE? Please tell me we can at least transfer the ‘incompatible’ games from PS3 like you can with PSP games. Otherwise I am furious. We wait six months and you refuse to say anything the entire time except “soon” and then “Summer”, and now we get…NINE GAMES?

+ Tevious on August 27th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

For the browser, can we PLEASE get the option to “right click” to get the menu like on a PC? Or am I missing something?

+ FoomMan on August 27th, 2012 at 6:37 pm said:

$5 says we can just manually copy them from a PS3 to the Vita.

+ dragonleader33 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

Dang so I cant play my Xenogears or Breath of Fire yet? That is rather disappointing. Hope I don’t have to wait long.

+ FoomMan on August 27th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

Classics that aren’t on the store yet, I mean.

+ triple_lei on August 27th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

Phase…? I guess I shouldn’t hold my breath for the R-Type games to become compatible since they’re not even in the store anymore.

+ Alchemy528 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

What about the group messaging? I have a million messages on there, because it seems to want to track every message I get via vita or Ps3 Read or not read. Is this getting a change as well?

+ erico316ecw on August 27th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

where is a detail list of the update

+ kilburni86 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

Nine games. NINE GAMES!? I seriously hope this is a (REALLY poorly executed) joke. Vita owners have had little to get excited about except this for months and we get the ABILITY TO PURCHASE NINE DECADE OLD GAMES!?!?! Wow, Sony. Way to spit in the face of your customers again, and this is coming from one of the Vita SUPPORTERS out there…there aren’t a lot of use, so maybe you guys should start playing nicer with us…

+ pivottt on August 27th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

For a feature which was what made me buy the Vita, PS1 classics come a little late. And only 9? The worst part about backward compatibility is the use of the second stick on PSP games. I hope you can fix this, and make it like in PSP’s PSOne classic settings where you could map any button to anything. But the fact that FFVII is in the list should call me down while I wait for the gamebreaking bug in WipEout 2048 is solved. Oh, did I tell you how my PS3 crashes when I try to update WipEout HD Fury?

+ Train1999 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

Great video. I like it. Can control the PS3 and back pad to browse online. I’m looking forward to it.

+ G-Force08 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

Legit question:

At first, not all PSP titles and Minis were officially supported on the Vita. Due to this fact, they were not on the Vita’s store. However, if we downloaded them to our PS3s and then transferred them over to the Vita, they worked.

Will there be any PSOne titles NOT listed above in the blog post, that I will be able to download to my PS3 and then transfer over to my Vita?

+ aznxchunky on August 27th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

I don’t like the phased roll out idea. especially when some/most people will have some ps1 games they want to play.

+ Tchanku on August 27th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

I don’t think those were the changes people wanted, with the exception of ps1 support. But I am happy to see this patch. Legend of Dragoon please. :)

+ vanwinkle on August 27th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

Uh….WHAT ON EARTH at that list. PSone support was mentioned over a year and a half ago, and since then you’ve only gotten NINE games working?

+ fadi002 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

If the browser in 1.8 is actually as smooth as it looks in the video (he was able to scroll down fast WITHOUT seeing the checkered background!), then I will be happy.

But I have a feeling you didn’t even touch it :(… and what was shown was fake…

+ seamonkey420 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

to those wondering about how to redownload, you can do this on your Vita too. Just go to the PSN Store. Then hit the … and choose Download List. Find your PSOne title and hit Download. The option for download is available only on titles that are PS VIta ready. You can do the same for any of the Minis that have added PS Vita support (ie a ton have been updated to work on the vita!!)

+ lowrider007 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

So what about the PSX games we’ve bought and have on our PS3’s, can we not just transfer them across using content manager?, or do we have to wait until Sony put them on the Vita store?

+ boomstickbhg on August 27th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

I wonder if the “make.believe” at the end of the video is a reference to Sonys approach to Vita features that were supposed to exist at launch…

+ ERMAC420 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

We asked, we got, we throw it back at you…. seems like the hate is never gonna get off yer back huh Sony? (and yes I DO know why everyone is upset its not like I didn’t know and just jumped in making everyone look bad or nothing don’t get me wrong I’m pissed too but still though.)

+ ccrogers15 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE ADD APE ESCAPE TO PSONE CLASSICS!!!
COME ON!
ITS FIRST PARTY!
ITS MISSING FROM THERE!
YOU HAVE BAD GAMES LIKE GOLFING AND SPORTS ON PSONE CLASSICS!
WHERE IS THE CRITACALLY ACCLAIMED APE ESCAPE!?!?

+ Deekman on August 27th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

9 games? Are you serious? Not even MGS, Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

I’m seriously pissed right now. I feel cheated.

+ ccrogers15 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

And before i even THINK of getting a vita, will these PSone games work on the vitas update right away or no?

Spyro
Spyro 2
Spyro 3
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2

They are ESSENTIAL.

+ ERMAC420 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

Also what time will this update be ready? I hope to take Syphon Filter with me on the go tomorrow morning.

+ drepsx3 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

The PS1 support is unacceptable.

+ Dark_Phoenix852 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

NOT EVEN FINAL FANTASY, MGS, OR CRASH BANDICOOT??
I’m going back to psp…

+ MidnightReaper on August 27th, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

Geez you people are never happy.

+ NinjaMicWZ on August 27th, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

YES! YES! This is what I bought my 32GB card for. Though, I’m at 16 GB even though I buy full Vita games on physical media. I’m gonna need a 64GB sooner or later, Sony *nudge, nudge*

Thanks! Finally. I hope the day 1 selection is very good and very comprehensive, and I hope the full PSone library comes in fat doses, and fast. EVERY week.

Also, tell them we want Einhander, Brave Fencer Musashi, Breath of Fire III, Skullmonkeys, Heart of Darkness, Silhouette Mirage, Herc’s Adventure, Raystorm, Strider 2 and Project Overkill!

More power to ya! Vita ’til the wheels fall off.

PAGE 1 2 3 15