PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PS Vita System Software Update (v1.80) – Take The Tour

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Aug 27, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

As most of you know we are releasing a pretty hefty System Software Update (v1.80) for PlayStation Vita (PS Vita), which will enhance your experience and also allow you to play PSone Classics on your device.

Before the update becomes available, I wanted to take the opportunity to walk you through some of the highlighted changes and give you a sneak preview of what you can expect.

PSone Classics

We are working hard to ensure that all of your favorite PS one Classics titles will be available for download directly on your PS Vita via PlayStation Store (PS Store) as soon as possible.

Here is a list of PSone Classics titles that will be available for download on 8/28:

• Arc the Lad
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • FINAL FANTASY VII
  • Hot Shots Golf 2
  • Jet Moto
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tomb Raider
  • Twisted Metal 2
  • Wild Arms

For those of you who have already purchased these titles, you will be able to re-download those games directly from your PS Store account or transfer them to your PS Vita directly from your PS3 at no extra charge.

I hope you enjoyed the video; for any additional information on PS Vita System Software Update v1.80, please visit this page when the update goes live.

As always, we appreciate and look forward to your feedback and questions below.

709 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 15

+ Amersonjr2YAHOO on August 27th, 2012 at 6:49 pm said:

dan what about crash that should be number 1 lol

+ DazeOfWar on August 27th, 2012 at 6:49 pm said:

If this is the only games available to play tomorrow then I’m really losing faith in you Sony. Really this is a joke. The only one of these I have is FFVII and I wasn’t looking to play that. Out of the 26 PSOne classics I own I can play just one tomorrow.

I’m sorry but I really can’t believe this is it after saying there was going to be 100 titles available,at Gamescon, to play with the new update. First the update for Plus is crap and then you hit us with this week list of games all in one day. Are you just trying to piss off your fans.

Come on Sony lets pick up the pace and quit jerking us around.

+ ATLRoAcH on August 27th, 2012 at 6:51 pm said:

How come the list of PS One classics for Europe is huge and the list for the North America is ridiculously small?

+ Goddess_Katheryn on August 27th, 2012 at 6:53 pm said:

Now, I’m really happy for this update –but the only thing I’m a bit disappointed on is that while I have been waiting to play PS1 games since launch, I was expected to be able to play EVERY PS1 game at the launch of the software update, not through phases every week.

I just want to play Xenogears, Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil games on my Vita.. This might take longer than I thought. :/

Thanks, I’m happy overall nonetheless!

+ RichZpace on August 27th, 2012 at 6:53 pm said:

Just about over 10 games in eight months. When I read that tiny list of PS One games, I sighed. Am I dissapointed? Yes. Am I surprised? Nope. I predicted months ago that this exact same situation would happen just like with the PSP compatibility list. From now on, I’m done with Sony’s handhelds. I really couldn’t care less about the PS Vita. I hope the system dies after 2013 just like the PSP GO because it doesn’t deserve any support from us when Sony isn’t pulling their own weight behind it.

+ bdb2m on August 27th, 2012 at 6:53 pm said:

Wow. That has to be the most pathetic list of “support” I have witnessed. Could you guys care less about the Vita? If you focused more on getting things like this right, maybe people would want to spend money on the Vita. Great system, but the neglect you guys are showing towards it, it’s wonder that it has even sold the few devices that are out there.

How could you be proud of this list of games? Seriously?

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

+ rkrasouski on August 27th, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

why cant my vita run the videos from the PLAYSTATION blog?
posting from it by the way

+ VidalukoVet on August 27th, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

Update is up guys

+ time346 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

Really! We’ve been waiting for 6 and a half months for 9 games! I’ve been waiting paitently all this time for two (yes, only two) games, Final fantasy 8 and Castlevania:SOTN, and neither is there?!? I’m so disappointed in you right now Sony that no amount of words would do justice. May the Diety of your choice have mercy on your souls, because your present/former fans will not!

+ Teflon02 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

I swear it was confirmed over 100 titles will be playable. Only game on that list that I have is FFVII, and I don’t have space for that, I want my Crash Team Racing mainly and Crash 2 for now and you don’t even have crash 1 here!! wow this better be the same as the PSP games where you need PS3 to transfer others that are compatible so far. This is just ridiculous now. first at e3 it was promised ALL PSOne classics and now half a year after release I still have to use my PS3 for SEGA Genesis Collection & Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker while PS3 has a better version of PW with trophies for $10 cheaper! And we only get 9 out of the 10 games demoed? Is that what your telling me? I think I’m done buying off PSN untill ALL my purchased PSP and PS1 games are available through my Vita.
E3 “ALL PSOne titles this summer!”

3/4th through the summer “guess what PS One is Finally Here!! In 2 weeks that is, over 100 titles will be playable ”
hours before “you can choose from 9 WHOLE GAMES, 6 months of waitingl*TROLL FACE*”
that’s what this seems like. No more defending this non-sense Sony!

+ RyanSaotome on August 27th, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

The Europe blog shows they get nearly every PS1 game on Vita. What the hell? Why are you treating the American customers like dirt for everything recently while giving Europe everything good?

+ vanwinkle on August 27th, 2012 at 6:56 pm said:

Wow, just saw the blog post on SCEE’s PS Blog. You all at SCEA should be ashamed.

+ Deekman on August 27th, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

Vita update is out now. Downloading. Not for any reason since none of the games I was hoping for are supported at all.

Man this is so disappointing.

+ AgentX on August 27th, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

The summary of this article on the front page of the PS.Blog indicates: “There will be 16 titles available on day one, with new PSone Classics titles hitting PS Store every week thereafter.”

In all honesty, I was really hoping for significantly more games, especially considering the amount of time we’ve had to wait for the feature. I was expecting PS1 compatibility to be ready at the North American launch, not more than six months later.

Can you elaborate on how PS1 games will be played on the Vita? In particular, I’d like to know what screen configuration options will be available, what kind of control options will be available (such as dual analog support, and mapping L2/R2 to rear touch pad), and how memory card management will be handled.

+ hungcanh19 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:58 pm said:

Those 9 or so titles are the ones that are PURCHASABLE on the Vita. The 100+ games thing is still good if you’re a PS3 owner.

+ Teflon02 on August 27th, 2012 at 6:59 pm said:

Threads of Fate
Rayman 2
and more later…
why is only 1 game up there though:/
So shameful

+ Goddess_Katheryn on August 27th, 2012 at 7:00 pm said:

Sorry to double post, but the software update for the Playstation Vita (1.80) is already up everyone! A day earlier than planned! Go ahead and start downloading it! :D

+ shb23 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:00 pm said:

I see 9 titles and I think “That’s dissapointing, but I’m sure there is a good reason”

Then I got to the Euro version of the PSN Blog, and see their list, and now all I feel is rage.

+ Anbu_kurosaki on August 27th, 2012 at 7:01 pm said:

i agree really wish legend of dragoon was on this list

+ mastorofpuppetz on August 27th, 2012 at 7:01 pm said:

Good update, should been there at launch, when will a sony device ever have a browser that’s nor 7 years behind?

+ R_a_z_i_e_l on August 27th, 2012 at 7:03 pm said:

Pfft Pathetic list of PS1 games available. Im just going to homebrew it as soon as I can and have the full list of PS1 games that I can play, thanks for wasting my time Sony.

+ mastorofpuppetz on August 27th, 2012 at 7:03 pm said:

Ever wonder why PS3 sells poor in the US but better in europe? Look at the difference in support for each region. Who ever is in charge of SCEA needs to get their head on straight. PS4 has no chance in America like PS3 unless scea changes drastically. PS3 dominates europe, but xbox destroys it in the US, it’s SCEA’s fault.

+ JABEE on August 27th, 2012 at 7:03 pm said:

Absolutely terrible choice to go with phased roll outs. This isn’t 1997, we can see that PS Store in Europe is getting titles right away. I don’t understand how you could fail to get PS1 classics right. It is a minor feature that should have been a can’t miss opportunity to create good will among PS Vita owners that have already felt left out of PS Store Updates. Enter the 21st century if you want to compete with other handhelds in 2012 and beyond.

+ zachg07 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

You can transfer any of your ps1 games from your ps3, use content manager to transfer them

+ fadi002 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

ONLY 129 ps1 games? WTF SONY!!!!!

Oh wait, I meant to post this in the EU PS Blog…

+ r1dethelitening on August 27th, 2012 at 7:05 pm said:

Sincerely disappointed by the lack of titles available for download. Why would you wait until the last minute to say that only 8 titles would be available? Those 8 games are good (not the ones I wanted, but still a good list) but ONLY 8? Come on Sony, you’re better than that. This is the first complaint I’ve ever had with you guys, and Ive owned every playstation system from ps1-vita. The vita is already struggling as it is, this is just going to turn people off about it.

+ Deekman on August 27th, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:

Europe gets every game on ps1 compatible right away tomorrow. And we get 9.

blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/08/27/ps-vita-system-software-update-v1-80-the-full-psone-classics-line-up/

+ Kchow23 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:

Happy to see the improvements made in this update, but there are so many more things that need improvement that have yet to be made and I hope they come soon. These are all things that should and need to be added soon before the list of want’s start

Folder functionality is still a big thing that needs to get added, Full PSP compatibility (why begin with PSOne when PSP isn’t even completed), PSP DLC support, Transfarring Support with MGS Peace Walker, HTML 5 support for the Web browser, Avatar selection within settings, Ability to delete an entire conversation in Group Messaging instead of one message at a time, No more loading after taking a screenshot or picture along with the ability to turn off the sound and Ability to continue downloading even when the PS Vita is in sleep mode and with a Wi-Fi connection.

+ navcomm81 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:07 pm said:

At first I thought, “Hey, not terrible considering the work involved in making them compatible.” but then I saw the SCEE list of titles to become compatible on the 29th.

Screw you, SCEA. SCREW YOU.

+ bigz12345432 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:09 pm said:

its here already im updating now thanks sooooooooooony finally sheesh

+ bigz12345432 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

every one stop complaining the updates avalable right now chess ur vitasssssss

+ VidalukoVet on August 27th, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

Guys this is like the PSP, those 9 are gonna be in the store tomorrow, but you can transfer a lot more if you own a PS3…

+ RyanSaotome on August 27th, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

Thank you Sony, you’ve bricked my Vita now. I changed the control in the menus to the buttons, and now none of the buttons including X work. So I’m not able to change it back or do anything, or even turn it off.

+ DavidSchrader on August 27th, 2012 at 7:11 pm said:

First I have to say that I usually get irritated at all the negativity on this blog. Every time something positive is announced all I read all the complaints and the “why didn’t you give us this” comments.

But for the first time and after peeking at the EU blog I am going to agree that this is just not acceptable. You have failed time and again to make any of us understand with a legitimate reason why the EU branch of PlayStation operates so differently.

It seems like the management there is way more focused on pleasing their consumers than US management is.

For them to have 120+ titles available day one vs. the 9 you have listed shows their commitment level compared to the US PlayStation operation.

It is obvious that our hope after hearing the Gamscom announcement was wasted since it so obviously only applied to the EU operation.

So disappointing .

+ Shadow_Raskolnik on August 27th, 2012 at 7:12 pm said:

That’s pathetic, if I were as incompetant at my job as you guys in the handheld department at SCEA I would have been fired long ago. Seriously you guys had over half a year to get everything prepared for this and you still screw up. Not to mention that SCEE have announced pretty much all their PSOne Classics as being available for download when this update is up over there.

So really there’s no excuse for this and you all should be ashamed for this lackluster effort on your part.

+ nickyd-lish on August 27th, 2012 at 7:13 pm said:

Really bummed to see PlayStation taking the slow approach to PSOne Classics. The games are old enough now- can’t we just have access to what’s already on PSN? There’s no technical reason for this since Europe is getting more than 100 games to begin. So the reasons must be motivated by something else. The other additions to the VIta via 1.80 are welcomed.

+ polo155 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:14 pm said:

Im loving it, everything works much nicer Browser included.

I can only imagine as more come. Thank You.

Please add copy and paste to the browser. Ty.

+ deon1763 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:14 pm said:

it will be really nice if we could get ssx or mirror edge on the vita

+ BpPomerleau on August 27th, 2012 at 7:16 pm said:

F$@#$ Sony > 3rd time in 5 months they screwed me > 1st was when i got my vita 3g bundle in april they exploited a loophole and screwed me out of my free game aka i bought 1 month of 3g service aka $15 and 2 months later got an email saying i was not eligable for my free game > 2nd time was about 1 month ago now when i purchased playstation + (3months $17.99) > it expired 15 hours later so i called SCEA-CS no help so i opened a BBB complaint requesting a refund or to re-initialize my subscription> they refunded my wallet the $17.99 due to the fact i might have threatened a lawsuite (had something to do with it) !!!!

and this marks the 3rd time

only PSONE classics i own are as follows:

1.FF tactics
2.FFVII
3.FFVIII
4.FFIX
5.Wild Arms 2
6.Legend of Dragoon
7.Xenogears

only one on that list is FFVII> so im pretty pissed

+ ATLRoAcH on August 27th, 2012 at 7:16 pm said:

Guys you can copy any PS One game to your Vita from your PS3. I just copied Medievil and it worked fine.

+ polo155 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

PEOPLE GO CHECK IF YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR PSOne GAMES DOWNLOADED, check if u can install via ps3 or ps vita download list first. I was bummed but when i saw THE SYSTEM rocking just that alone had me happy.

+ Kanon_of_Gemini on August 27th, 2012 at 7:18 pm said:

I’ve got a BIG QUESTION!, I already have some PSOne Classics on my PS3, right now none of my PSO games appear on the list, but the real question is, when they’re aviable for Vita, will I be able to transfer them or re-downloaded to my Vita for FREE?

These are the games that I have:

Chrono Trigger.
Final Fantasy IX.
Castlevania Symphony Of The Night.
Resident Evil Director’s Cut.
Megaman 3.
Silent Hill.

Note: I share the same account with my PS3 and my PS Vita.

+ gamer_316 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:19 pm said:

i’m downloading Spyro to check if that works

+ chemerie on August 27th, 2012 at 7:20 pm said:

I’m hoping Dino Crisis 2, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill and any of the Resident Evil games be playable onVita soon. Also wondering, when will Valkyria Chronicles II be compatible with Vita.?

+ BeastieCat on August 27th, 2012 at 7:21 pm said:

I’m so excited to get these features. I hate smudging up my screen for simple navigation and can’t wait to see how the cross controller function adds to current gaming experiences.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on August 27th, 2012 at 7:22 pm said:

The hell is this? That’s it for PS1 games?? We wait 6 months….for this? The vita deserves the sales that it’s getting even though it is a great piece of hardware, the lack of software and marketing makes it a bargain bin item.

+ erico316ecw on August 27th, 2012 at 7:22 pm said:

Sneaky sony u updated near and didnt sat anything. Near now downloads content automatically after u download a piece of item on for that same specific game that a great feature for near.!

+ ATLRoAcH on August 27th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

Ok, I was able to transfer Medievil and Castlevania: SOTN to my Vita but Crash Bandicoot won’t show up in the content manager so most games work but not all.

+ Shadow_Dancer on August 27th, 2012 at 7:24 pm said:

Don are you new to the Vita? Seeing your download progress in the notifications is NOT new! Neither is the ability to take screenshots during gameplay.

+ schmidt22 on August 27th, 2012 at 7:25 pm said:

I downloaded the update and im trying to copy FFVII from my PS3 to the Vita, but it says “No content” for all the categories of whats on my PS3. Help?

PAGE 1 2 3 4 15