PS4-The Order

PlayStation Blogcast 040: A Prelude to PAX

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Aug 30, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

• Download the MP3 here on PS3, PS Vita or PC (Right-Click->Save As)

Today marks a major milestone for PlayStation Blogcast: The big 4-0. Woo-hoo, we’re officially over the hill! Though we’re middle-aged, we’re still spry – today’s show zigs and zags over a host of disparate topics, everything from Breaking Bad to Battleship to My Little Pony to another one of Nick’s weird movie recommendations.

Also, as part of our ongoing Origin Story series on video game careers, we speak with Associate Product Manager (and carpool buddy) David Bull to learn more about the arcane field of product marketing. This is a great segment if you’re interested in breaking into the video game industry but aren’t of a technical bent. To get a look at career opportunities at Sony Computer Entertainment America, be sure to check out our hiring site.

Of course, we also delve into next week’s North American PSN releases (including the long-awaited confirmation of NFL Sunday Ticket), answer an avalanche of thought-provoking Player Queries, and leave you with a vexing new Mystery Theme. Oh, and my mush-mouthed pronunciation produces another hilarious gem. Don’t miss the fun!

Stuff We Talked About

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanJeff for BlogcastOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick Suttner

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey GutierrezOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast - David Bull

The Cast

+ ItsNymo on August 30th, 2012 at 3:42 pm said:

48:33 “Any bronies in here?” Brohoof! /)

+ jgrizzle358 on August 30th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

p.s. I’m a brony!

Pinkie Pie is best pony

@ItsNymo Brohoof! (\

+ helbertpina on August 30th, 2012 at 3:49 pm said:

Awesome, that was kind of early, right? Thanks, guys!!!

+ NinjaMicWZ on August 30th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

hey cool, Nick Suttner. 1up Show <3

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Nick Suttner on August 30th, 2012 at 4:57 pm said:

+ SAIYAN98 on August 30th, 2012 at 4:02 pm said:

Sid, when do you guys start the show?(start recording it?)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Nick Suttner on August 30th, 2012 at 4:56 pm said:

Whenever all of us can be wrangled together for an hour, usually Wednesday afternoon.

+ gm914 on August 30th, 2012 at 4:13 pm said:

Hi guys,
I’d like to know if there will be any amendment to the current Walking Dead episode.

We are now at the 3 month mark since the introduction to the Instant Game Collection, and as such, a lot of people who bought 3-months subscriptions are now deciding whether to re-up or not.
Reading a lot of comments, there are more than a few who won’t be.

Now, the Walking Dead. Don’t you think it would have been wise of Sony to tell people that if they buy Episodes 3, 4 and 5 of the series, and their subscription has lapsed, the episodes won’t be playable?

The only official comment came from Kristine in the Store Update post, and my question in the Walking Dead post was skipped over.

Now I won’t be re-upping and will buy the season pass, but I feel you are going to have a lot of angry customers who have paid $15 for a $25 game only for it not to work.
Something official needs to be said to a wide audience.
Peace.

+ Heavenly_king on August 30th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

off-topic: I want METAL GEAR SOLID: Ground Zeroes TRAILER!!!! :(

+ gm914 on August 30th, 2012 at 4:15 pm said:

Alternatively, make Episodes 1 and 2 free for life and these problems go away.

Very interested to see what will be done.

+ Heavenly_king on August 30th, 2012 at 4:15 pm said:

@6: for me the PS plus is worth it because of the 1gb of cloud storage we are getting soon :D

+ Logan22 on August 30th, 2012 at 4:52 pm said:

No mention of MGS 25th Anniversary event is an Epic Fail.

- New MGS movie from Columbia, owned by Sony, your employers, with Avi Arad producing
- Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes footage running on FOX engine shakes everyone in attendance and the industry whole

Not to mention, out of all the movies you guys have talked about, you’ve never talked about The Amazing Spider-Man, Sony’s flagship movie this year and 3D pioneer (Prometheus is a joke in comparison). Not to mention its just a really good movie overall that you guys except for Rey totally overlooked. It has the spectacle of Avengers with the emotional drama of Batman. Epic Fail.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Nick Suttner on August 30th, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

We recorded before the MGS event happened, unfortunately. I’m sure we’ll chat a bit about it next week.

+ viceforce on August 30th, 2012 at 5:03 pm said:

2 minutes into the show? and Sid doesn’t know what a Talk Girl is and it’s the 40th episode!? Instant fail! lol

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Nick Suttner on August 30th, 2012 at 5:13 pm said:

I think it’s because he’s a million years old.

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 30th, 2012 at 5:16 pm said:

@gm914 The Walking Dead episodes 2 and after are technically counted as DLC add-ons on the Playstation Store. Because that’s the case, I’m not 100% percent sure, but if you buy the original game (Walking Dead Ep. 1) after your PS Plus subscription expires, all of the other episodes should work. Like I said I haven’t tried this myself but I’m pretty sure the same rules apply with other free PS Plus games and their DLC

+ IcedDice777 on August 30th, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

Awesome Dudes of the blogcast…Try to get more info/talk about Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes in your next blogcast! I like what i’ve been reading some far! SUPER EXCITED for the BiG Boss next adventure!

+ naDOOFUS on August 30th, 2012 at 5:43 pm said:

May I please have of of those farm fresh playstation allstars battle royal beta code? I will do terrible things for one.

+ jeffsmither on August 30th, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

why haven’t you updated your site with the info of the vita 1.80 update? I want to know every thing that the update had in it.

+ remanutd5 on August 30th, 2012 at 7:24 pm said:

i have just received a congratulations email from being one of The 0.01 people who got Killzone 3 platinum trophy, very nice but know you what would be nicer if we get rewards to platinum games like avatars or betas? for example i love killzone and Killzone mercenary is coming out next year so it would be nice to get into the beta because i have Killzone 3 platinum lol.

+ camiwaits_us on August 30th, 2012 at 7:51 pm said:

I wish i could forget Demon’s Souls, so i could experience again the process of frustration, giving up, coming back, falling in love while struggling with and finally ending it.

+ StealthReborn– on August 30th, 2012 at 8:35 pm said:

Great blogcast guys, very humorous. =)

Oh and Jeff…..C-H-A-R-G-E-R-S! =P

+ sugarfree98USA on August 30th, 2012 at 8:55 pm said:

i hope these guys have something good planned for the 1 year anniversery of this podcast. keep up the good work!!

+ Apeman24 on August 30th, 2012 at 9:13 pm said:

Wonder if sony is upset with gamespot. Something tells me all three new characters were to be announced tomorow.

+ Dark_walker0754 on August 30th, 2012 at 9:18 pm said:

So what if i wanted to send in a tip here?

+ Richard919 on August 30th, 2012 at 10:38 pm said:

interested to hear Bioshock talk…i hope its about Infinite that game looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

+ Richard919 on August 30th, 2012 at 10:40 pm said:

btw ive been really enjoying these longer episodes! :D

+ lisatsunami on August 31st, 2012 at 2:29 am said:

@17, Camiwaits, why did you bring up Demon’s Souls? Did they mention it in the blog cast? I haven’t listened yet because I’ve been playing Dark Souls all night. 2 of my earliest games when I bought my first PS3 were Demon’s Souls & Drake’s Fortune. Is it any wonder that I’ve been a rabid member of the Playstation Nation since then?

Demon’s Souls was rough, especially for a newish gamer, but I loved it. I always laugh when I think about Shuhei’s initial opinion of the game, something like “what a piece of cr*p; I’ve played for an hour & I’m still stuck in the same place.” Yes, happy, bitter memories.

+ DarkOne_PR on August 31st, 2012 at 2:58 am said:

hey guys I love the cross buy for the new games i will get them all… but i have a question… i certainly gonna buy PSASBR for ps3 but i wanted my physical copy of BR on my vita too since im all physical except the only PSN titles like the new ratchet…. can we get a deal by buying both physical for like 70$??? 10 more buck for it being physical :)

+ camiwaits_us on August 31st, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

@24, they didn’t bring up Demon’s Souls, but they did ask which games would we like to experience for the first time again.

+ helbertpina on August 31st, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

Watched a trailer for Guacamelee after you mentioned it and it blew my mind! Can’t believe I missed it before! I really want it on my Vita and on my PS3, you guys have any info if it’s going to be cross-buy?

+ Euthanasia78 on August 31st, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Great podcast guys. I enjoy it everytime. Eventhough You don’t touch on Home much anymore, something You said toay made me think of my experience there a couple times. I’ve had pairs of people come into rooms randomly typing the ending of the newest games, movies, and TV shows.

+ bwhitlat on August 31st, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

At 16:08 its announced that “Treasure Park” vita app will possibly be out next week on PSN =). Hooray!

Question: Any word on when the “Wake up Club” app. is going to come out for the US PS Vita too?

Thanks!

+ GHOZTPRIME on August 31st, 2012 at 7:11 pm said:

Great blogcast, guys! Very entertaining. I just wish they were a bit longer.

+ elf1491 on August 31st, 2012 at 11:08 pm said:

I have to say I enjoy the blogcast more and more every week. It may sound weird but I really feel like I’m starting to get to know you guys. You all have very unique personalities and that is what makes the show so fun. Keep up the great work, and I can only hope that some day I get a chance to have a chat with any or all of you… heck better yet, it would be a dream come true to meet you all in person!

+ ACtripxl on September 1st, 2012 at 1:02 pm said:

First to Sid: 1. Stop with the “farm fresh”, it was never funny and its annoying to hear it all the time.
2. Bacci’s pizza from Chicago is crap you eat that when on the run, no self respecting
Chicagoan would choose Bacci’s over most places in the city.
3. The movie Thor SUCKED! Total snooze fest, took me multiple times to finally
finish the movie. Avengers is overrated with a boring first half, TDK is still king to me on
comic book based movies(still haven’t seen Dark Knight Rises).

Rey: I miss going to Sedanos (Miamian now living in Chicago), not as nice as the remodeled
Publix but the only place to go when needing multiple Hispanic ingredients.

+ STOUT-301 on September 1st, 2012 at 10:50 pm said:

just found out how to post on here lol will we ever see fanta vision hd or fanta vision for ps2 classic?

+ NinjaNabs on September 4th, 2012 at 7:43 am said:

You guys should talk about Black ops 2 in the next Blogcast.