PS4-The Order

Joe Danger 2 on PS3 October 9th with Exclusive Content

Sean Murray's Avatar + Posted by Sean Murray on Oct 05, 2012 // Managing Director, Hello Games

It’s great to be back on the PlayStation Blog so soon! I’m here to tell you something surprising! Joe Danger 2 is coming to PlayStation gamers very soon, next week in fact! That’s October 9th in the US!

gaiden02 copy

PlayStation owners are getting a huge exclusive DLC pack of bonus content too. I’d love to tell you more about it, but first I’m going to have to explain a little about how we make games.

When we make a game, we make it for ourselves. We play it every day, getting better and better at it. The great thing is that you get rid of every snag and rough edge, but then we let our friends play, and realise it has become too hard!

That’s what happened when we made the original Joe Danger, as four guys sat in a room playing our own game. We actually first made a very tight, very challenging game that took about 10 hours to complete. It was pure and intense! No tutorials, no handholding, just fun arcade gameplay. Our friends loved it, but only the most skilled players could master it. In fact no one was able to complete it!

We knew we had to go back to the drawing board, we wanted Joe Danger to be more accessible and easier to get into. We scrapped about half of the levels, and toned down the rest. Then we added a huge amount of new content, to make the original Joe Danger the 25 hour fun-fest that was such a hit on PS3!

The sad thing is, no one ever got to play this prototype game we now refer to as “Joe Danger Gaiden”. It was an alternate Joe Danger for a true fan, and I still play it every now and then. When we came to make the PS3 version of Joe Danger 2, I thought it would be a great opportunity to let our original fans play this unseen version.

gaiden01 copy

So what is it? Well, it’s a complete game that takes easily ten hours to complete. Many of the levels will be familiar to fans of the original, and others are experiments that we loved but were too challenging or quirky for the main game.

We’ve gone back and added all the cool new things from Joe Danger 2, like Pro Medals, Ghosts, new leaderboards and hidden challenges where you become a monkey on a jetpack!

All the levels use the scrambler from the original, which isn’t normally in Joe Danger 2. You play as Team Nasty (Joe’s rivals), and each one of the 5 members gets their own tour with 5 levels each! It starts out easy, but it really does get intense!

It is set in the Motion Capture lab from Joe Danger 2. This is a pure, abstract environment, and is where we develop all our levels and experiment (we use the grid markings to make the levels flow perfectly). It allows you to focus on the challenge!

As well as that extra content, we’ve taken the time to add a few new features and tweaks for Joe Danger 2 on PlayStation 3! I’ll do my best to remember them all…

Replays and Youtube Support
What’s the point of being the World’s Greatest Stuntman, if you can’t show your friends? Now you can save, playback and upload to youtube your greatest stunt spectaculars.

Developer Picks
On Joe Danger 2, you can share your own levels globally online. As well as all the extra content in Joe Danger 2, we’re also getting ready some exclusive developer levels which will be ready on launch day!

Custom Soundtracks
We love the Joe Danger music, but we think we’ve heard it a few too many times now. Personally we like to listen to eighties rock, while we take over the leaderboards.

Level Editing
The Sandbox was one of our most popular features. Now that you can share your levels across the globe, we wanted to make the Level Editor even more powerful. Every Friday we’ll be picking the 5 best user levels, and highlighting them on our front page.

Unlocking Joe Danger
If you own the original Joe Danger, then you’ll unlock the original Joe and his bike for Joe Danger 2. Then you can play the entire game as him if you want!

Downloadable Tours
On PlayStation 3 we’ve created an area which allows us to release new Downloadable content straight into your game. This is where you’ll find “Joe Danger Gaiden”! We already have another pack planned in the next month…

Lots More
We’ve tried to make everything just a little bit better, from big things like how the leaderboards work, to little things like making one annoying sound a little quieter. If someone has noticed it, we’ve tried to fix it.

Hidden Stuff
We couldn’t resist putting in some surprises for people who have already played Joe Danger to death. Especially if you 100% completed the game, or think you have gotten all the Pro Medals, you might want to have a another look.

Hello Games wants to genuinely thank the community again for their amazing support. We really hope you enjoy the new features and content! Go and spread the word :)

We are releasing on October 9th in America, and the price is $14.99. It’s a huge game, with this content it has 125+ levels and will take over 50 hours to complete!

You can keep up to date with Hello Games and Joe Danger on our blog, follow us on Twitter or even just send us a mail!

+ Ryumoau on October 5th, 2012 at 8:04 am said:

Looks funny and interesting. Hope theres a demo.

+ cubbielovr on October 5th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

October is loaded! Between this, Unfinished Swan, and Okami, I am very glad that I’ve bought some PSN Cards recently. Is there a discount for PS Plus members by any chance…(fingers crossed).

+ ZildjianKX on October 5th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

Did the original Joe Danger ever get the extra content released on the Xbox Live version?

Sean Murray's Avatar

+ Sean Murray on October 5th, 2012 at 8:46 am said:

It never did I’m afraid. We couldn’t bring it to PS3 for a bunch of reasons. That is something I have always regretted. I’m hoping that this new content for PS3 goes some way towards making it up to our original fans.

+ Joao_Vicente on October 5th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

Another casual game for ps3! No chance for me! If come to PSV I will buy it!

+ Ryumoau on October 5th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

@2 Okami coming out this month?! I forgot all about that. Can’t wait.

+ BigJoshMan on October 5th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

Well done Hello Games. I was a little worried when it came out on XBLA first if we would even get it on PSN. With this one being bigger and better I am very excited to pick this one up. If you guys ever make it for VITA also I will gladly buy it a gain.

Sean Murray's Avatar

+ Sean Murray on October 5th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

Thank you! We really appreciate your support!

The Vita is lovely, isn’t it? We’re just going to focus on the PS3 version first though :)

+ Reluctant-Hero on October 5th, 2012 at 8:37 am said:

Sean & Hello Games, thanks for including extra content for PS3!

Is there any chance for remote play via Playstation Vita?

+ avdavidw on October 5th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

Not a complaint, but I was hoping one of the PS3 exclusive features was going to be 3D support. Picking it up next Tuesday regardless!

+ Tigerriot on October 5th, 2012 at 8:47 am said:

This game is awesome people! Buy it!

I’ve already played the Xbox version and you won’t find a better twitchy action game this year. If you’ve ever been in love with an arcade game chasing high scores this is an instant buy. If you still care about games with charm and character, that don’t take themselves seriously, this is an instant buy. If you like videogames, pure videogames, like Super Mario Bros, this is an instant buy.

So yeah, pretty much like anyone who’s ever held a controller before should buy this. :)

Sean Murray's Avatar

+ Sean Murray on October 5th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Oh wow! Thank you @Tigerriot!

+ Ryumoau on October 5th, 2012 at 8:49 am said:

Btw, will us Plus members get a discount?

+ sinneD– on October 5th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

So will the original see a price drop for non PS+ users?

+ Chuckbait on October 5th, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

Looks cool, especially the amount of time required to beat this game. Good luck with sales.

+ LABARONX on October 5th, 2012 at 9:31 am said:

greatest news today

+ krae_man on October 5th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Hey Sean, I haven’t checked your blog. have you done the video yet?

Sean Murray's Avatar

+ Sean Murray on October 5th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

Ha! Good memory! We’ve been killing ourselves to get the PS3 version done so soon, so I’m afraid we haven’t had time. Like literally, I don’t think we’ve slept this week :)

What’s a favourite level of yours? Mine’s “Lady and the Ramp” on the first tour of Delete Scenes, I think I’ll try to record a score attack on that! I believe my Ghost is still world number one in time on there, I do have a video of that already somewhere…

+ blackgndrf on October 5th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

Great. I was waiting for this game :D

Has platinum trophy this time? :P

+ doutee on October 5th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

I would love to see the original offered free on playstation plus.

+ aro52 on October 5th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

This just demands to be on Vita! Or at least open up remote play… ;)

+ JetSetFuture on October 5th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

How about a Joe Danger dynamic theme? My XMB needs to look more dangerous.

Sean Murray's Avatar

+ Sean Murray on October 5th, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

Oooooo! We haven’t done any dynamic themes, but maybe we should :)

+ DrApollo on October 5th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

The Original Joe Danger is one I still play on my PS3. Really looking forward to this!

+ FUNKYbyNature on October 5th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

Can’t wait for this !!! I loved the first Joe Danger and planning on buying this one !

+ DarkOne_PR on October 5th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

I still taste the treason of this late game and the Extra content and lost of exclusivity of the first for XBOX360 in my mouth…

+ DarkOne_PR on October 5th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

still ill think about it if i should give u another chance. U are a nice indie dev after all.

+ AguilarX on October 5th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

fell in love with the 1st one, then some misunderstanding, now its day one once again.

+ Kchow23 on October 5th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

Any chance that the original Joe Danger becomes part of PS Plus? Also will there be a demo?

+ IcedDice777 on October 5th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

Wire transfer in progress to Hello Games’ secret cayman island bank account. Day 1 purchase!

+ Axecution on October 5th, 2012 at 1:46 pm said:

Any possibility of a PC version on Steam?

I’ll get it for PS3 obviously, but it’d definitely be awesome to play on my laptop with a controller whenever i want haha. I’d definitely rather have it for PC, so if that’s in the works… >.>

+ Kodyan on October 5th, 2012 at 8:00 pm said:

I may have to pick up this along with the first.

+ jimmyfoxhound on October 5th, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

Awesome, so glad this is coming to the PS3! Really enjoyed the first game and was bummed when it was a 360 exclusive. Wasn’t sure if we’d get it or not. Can’t wait to pick this up!!

+ ChrisMichaels04 on October 6th, 2012 at 1:50 pm said:

im surprised everyone on here is so forgiving to this sell out studio. Im not mad at them for taking their successful franchise multiplatform to XBOX….i understand these developers work hard and deserve as much exposure and success as possible. What i cant forgive is their decision to give XBOX yet another timed exclusive to a game that we the Playstation community put on the map in the first place. Its the same reason why i no longer support other sell out franchises like Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto and Tomb Raider that all made their names on Playstation…..yet, show more “exclusive” love to XBOX.

Sean Murray and Hello Games can keep their fake apologies. There are dozens of other high quality games for me to occupy my time with so trust me i wont be playing any other games from this studio………Sean sounds like a very nice person, but if i can give him some advice. Dont throw your loyal fans under the bus and than try to make up for it with DLC. Im saying “Goodbye” to Hello Games. I hope others that are also tired of being treated like 2nd class citizens by these studios follow my lead. Its time to put Playstaion gamers first.

+ Killa4Hire on October 6th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

Looks cool.

+ IcedDice777 on October 6th, 2012 at 3:23 pm said:

@ 29… Eh, NO. Sorry. NOT joining your little revolution against this studio.

Hello Games is giving the Playstation Nation “The Best Version” of Joe Danger 2 with 10 extra hrs worth of new content NOT found on a competing system that it’s known to demand system parity if you want to do business with them.

Hello Games had to keep quiet about the ps3 version being the best version with extra content or microsoft would’ve demanded for their version to be exactly the same as ps3 or No deal. Small studios need exposure and need to make money too. My .02

+ ChrisMichaels04 on October 9th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

@31

your a big boy…..you can make your own decisions. If you want to be gullable and naive, be my guest. Having a studio tell me im recieivng the “best version” of a game doesnt mean crap if im getting it after everyone else. Just my opinion. PS3 gamers like you are part of the problem. Because we dont stand up for ourselves is the reason why studios give all the timed exclusives to XBOX. its why XBOX is getting all the exclusive DLC for Resident Evil 6 and Tomb Raider. Its why Skyrim and Bayonetta were broken 2nd rate ports on PS3. Its why Activision practically considers Call of Duty an XBOX exclusive franchise.

And while PS3 gamers continue giving money to developers that dont respect us as a gaming community, studios like Zipper, Insomniac, Evolution and Liverpool that do put PS3 gamers first are either closed down or scared off by low sales and lack of support. I love my Playstation devices, but a lot (not all) of my fellow Playstation community members makes me laugh. Enjoy.