PS4 - Destiny

Launch Trailer: Retro City Rampage on PS3, PS Vita Tuesday

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Oct 08, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

After months (years?) of anticipation, the big moment is almost here: VBlank Entertainment‘s long-gestating 8-bit open-world homage Retro City Rampage comes to PS3 and PS Vita tomorrow on PSN, complete with the ever-coveted Cross Buy and Cross Save features. Let’s give the freshly released launch trailer a looksee!

If you’ve never heard of Retro City Rampage, a) shame on you and b) I scarcely know where to begin! Imagine jamming all your favorite 8-bit games into a sprawling open world ala Grand Theft Auto and you’ll have a rough sense of this game’s special brand of pixelated magic. Retro City Rampage has more than 60 Story missions that span driving, stealth, platforming, shooting, swimming, and questing (just to name a few) as well as 40 Arcade challenges if you’re in need of a quick release. Looking for more numbers? Try these: 25+ weapons and power-ups, 50+ driveable vehicles, and 2.5 hours of glorious chiptune symphonies. And let’s not forget what might be the most important number of all: $14.99.

Will you be picking up Retro City Rampage tomorrow on PSN? What element of the game are you most interested in trying out? Let us know in the comments!

61 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ snakeeyes211 on October 8th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

Awesome game

+ Elvick_ on October 8th, 2012 at 12:13 pm said:

Will I pick it up? Heck yes.

How big is the file size of the game for Vita?

+ Valde_zerocool on October 8th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

Is there a platinum trophy?

+ Lord_Rinja on October 8th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

Sid, I’m completely psyched for this game. The fact that its Cross Buy and Cross Play makes it that much sweeter. I can see that the developer put a lot of love into making this game. I wonder what the High Concept Document and Storyboarding was like for all of this. Tomorrow, I am definitely picking this up.

+ KiXaLoT on October 8th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

Cross Buy and Cross Save…Definitely must buy.

+ BPinter on October 8th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

Been waiting on this one for a while… Definitely purchasing tomorrow! Love that Cross Buy, and more importantly, Cross Save is included!

+ MrBendel on October 8th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

W A I T E D F O R E I G H T Y E A R S ! ! ! j/k looks awesome! Can’t wait to play it tomorrow night!!! :D

+ Chapulin140 on October 8th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

WWOOWWW the Graphics look awesome.!!!

+ Brink-2-Chaos on October 8th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

But is there a platinum :P Oh and Is this game ever going to come out :P

+ ATLRoAcH on October 8th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

I’ve been waiting a long time for RCR so I’m definitely picking it up day one. I can’t wait! Buy this game people!

+ Zerocaps on October 8th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

The wait is almost over!

+ waylander90232 on October 8th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

I have searched high and very low for trophy information about this game and found none….. You got the trophy list there Sid? It does have trophies right??

Thanks for the post, looks good

+ NinjaMicWZ on October 8th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

omg so hyped. So hyped.

God bless the man who made Retro City Rampage. Going to be buying this on Vita.

I should have bought one of those LE green vinyls when I had the chance!

+ Gorvi on October 8th, 2012 at 12:41 pm said:

This looks fantastic, it really reminds me of the NES games my brother and I played as kids. I’m so happy it’s on the Vita, the game looks like a perfect portable game.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on October 8th, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

*salivating*

This game looks awesome, and cross-buy/cross-save make it even better. This is such a great month for PSN games.

+ camiwaits_us on October 8th, 2012 at 1:06 pm said:

Right on! I’m so ready to bring the ruckus on those 8 bits streets.

+ akibake on October 8th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

Minute-one buy. Congratulations to Brian on the release of this game.

+ onslaughtree on October 8th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

2 Words…Cross Buy….no no wait. 2 Words…Awesome Sauce….;-)

+ Monterossa on October 8th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

Gorilla War or whatever it name is, is one of my favorite NES game.

+ thechrono33 on October 8th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

Looks awesome can’t wait.

+ cosmis_chaos on October 8th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

You know, it surprising how many games I recognized while watching the videos. I guess I have been gaming a lot longer then I thought. Bionic Commando, Ninja Turtles, Virtual Boy, Guerrilla War, Mario Brothers, Metal Gear, Smash T.V., Paper Boy, Contra. Any chance of any Castlevaina and Mega Man references too.?

+ JonJonXD on October 8th, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

Will definitely be buying this.

I was already going to buy it day one, but the cross buy is huge and makes me want to give him my money even more.

More devs should do this if they are developing for both platforms.

I can’t wait.

+ Harshevik on October 8th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

that game looks HUGE!! does it come in two catridges?

+ Ryumoau on October 8th, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

+ plaztiksyke on October 8th, 2012 at 2:44 pm said:

Absolutely buying it as soon as the store updates. Looks amazingly fun, tons of content, and a great value. The cross buy and cross save is icing on the cake, and really helps justify the price point. (If only Puddle had cross buy and cross saves… *sigh*)

Does the Vita version use rear touch, tilt, or any other specific features?

+ Matrix_Lion on October 8th, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

Retro City Rampage it’s about time play you tomorrow

+ DaMann22 on October 8th, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

Yes finally the wait is over. And I will gladly pay the 15 dollars for it.

+ blackiemist88 on October 8th, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

if it was part of ps+ i would get it buuuut.. $15 seems like alot for this

+ Brink-2-Chaos on October 8th, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

@28 ive played the game its f!@#$ epic

+ Logan22 on October 8th, 2012 at 3:33 pm said:

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

+ T3mpr1x on October 8th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

OMG FINALLY! The wait is almost over! I’ve been looking forward to this game’s release since I first saw footage of it! Congrats to VBlank Entertainment, this game is sure to sell well!

+ duke301 on October 8th, 2012 at 4:20 pm said:

This does look like a great game, but not for $15. More than 90% of the games that I’ve bought for $15 have gone on sale at some point after I bought them at half price, or for free on Plus. So I stopped buying PSN games for $15. I’ll wait for the inevitable sale six months to a year from now. I have plenty to play in the meantime, so it isn’t like I absolutely have to have it tomorrow.

+ portablebr on October 8th, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

ff3 will release the vita?

+ boourns1984 on October 8th, 2012 at 5:56 pm said:

This game has me more excited than any game in history. It pays homage to so many classics, TMNT for nes, smash tv, contra, back to the future, zelda, etc. The fact it’s available for ps3 and vita is also amazing. It’s so great to have a vita and to be able to play most of my ps1 collection on it and the mini’s. Sony is really onto something with this ps+ subscription service and the cross linking of the stuff you’ve already purchased.

+ Bcrazyman on October 8th, 2012 at 6:01 pm said:

hey cant wait to get this game!
also will it buy it get it free also!
buy ps3=vita free? need to know thanks!

+ JuggaloMars on October 8th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

I’m more than likely picking this up tomorrow but I do plan on playing the demo first. Also, I think I read it’s only around 40mb. Is that correct?

+ julyvictor on October 8th, 2012 at 7:39 pm said:

Waited for a long time. Can’t wait to play it.

+ PainOfSarrow on October 8th, 2012 at 7:49 pm said:

Grand Theft Auto are my fav games of all time along with God Of War. this looks okay, kind of like a kiddish girl version of GTA. il pick it up once its 5 bucks.

+ PrimeroIncognito on October 8th, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:

What’s with all these questions about trophies all the time? For @#$% sake! Who cares!

The GAME matters! The GAME! The FUN, the CHALLENGE, the hours of EXPLORING a virtual world, being ENCHANTED by the MUSIC, the CHARACTERS, the ENVIRONMENT… conquering the MISSIONS, OVERCOMING the virtual adversity placed before you, and the REAL REWARD for completing a game… witnessing the ENDING!

+ GhostMachine1 on October 8th, 2012 at 8:42 pm said:

Getting this. Hope it’s all what it’s cracked up to be.

+ Anddo on October 8th, 2012 at 9:03 pm said:

Finally this is getting released. The game has been done for months, and would have been better served releasing back then.. Nonetheless. I’m buying it anyway, despite a busy gaming schedule.

+ Poozilla024 on October 8th, 2012 at 9:16 pm said:

@#9 the top of the article reads Launch Trailer:Retro City Ramapage on PS3 and Vita Tuesday.Please start reading the article instead of the comment board first sir.

+ Elvick_ on October 8th, 2012 at 9:32 pm said:

@39: No. All that needs to be said is that the question is stupid, because trophies are mandatory. See the word Mini anywhere in there? Mobile? No? Then It has trophies.

Question is pointless. Like asking if PS3 games support the dualshock 3.

+ PrimeroIncognito on October 8th, 2012 at 9:42 pm said:

Yeah, Elvick, I agree with you. But apparently not everyone knows that all PS3 games are required to have trophies.

And personally, to me, the more important point to make is the one I tried to make. Trying to remind people why we play games in the first place. The importance being placed on trophies lately has gone way beyond ridiculous. It’s like they care about the trophies more than the game itself, which is… just… absolutely absurd. I’ve read your comments before on this subject, so I know you feel the same way. I’ve got to believe these people aren’t even real gamers, but just confused kids trying to fit in with a certain crowd or something.

+ Axecution on October 8th, 2012 at 10:34 pm said:

Cross buy = SOLD =D

Was debating getting this for PC but cross buy 100% changed my mind >.>

+ Monkey_KING678 on October 8th, 2012 at 11:07 pm said:

I hope this gets a Discount for PSPlus in November…

+ PigChampion on October 8th, 2012 at 11:54 pm said:

Wow theres a lot of cheapy cheapersons in the comments. Pony up the dough ffs. Developers who make awesome games deserve it, and this price is very easy on the wallet.

+ AizawaYuuichi on October 8th, 2012 at 11:55 pm said:

Yeah, I’ve only seen people talking about this, hadn’t actually seen any footage or read anything about it, but the name alone had my interest. Now that it’s releasing tomorrow, and we have this awesome trailer, I’m completely sold on it. $15 for what looks to be the most awesome games of the 80s, all under one application? Awesome! Can’t wait to pick this up tomorrow and give it a virtual spin. :D

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on October 9th, 2012 at 4:29 am said:

“meh…no way am i spending $15 on something like this. Though this would have made a better free game than king of fighters.”

ohhhh haha that was a great joke. haha ohhhhh haha.

oh wait you was being serious, hahaha

+ Thiagots85 on October 9th, 2012 at 5:57 am said:

I really can’t get this now…. but hope for get it one day…. looks awesome!

PAGE 1 2