PS4 - Destiny

PS3 System Software Update (v4.30)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Oct 21, 2012 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Next Tuesday, October 23rd, we will be releasing a new system software update for PlayStation 3 (version 4.30). With this update we have made several changes to how Trophies are displayed on your PlayStation 3. The Trophy Collection will now reside under PlayStation Network on the XMB. Trophies that you have earned playing PlayStation Vita games are now displayed on your PlayStation 3. You will also be able to see your Trophy level and progress towards the next level while viewing your trophy collection.

PS Vita Trophies on PS3

By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s as well as various cancers.

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributing greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer ’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University.
Vijay Pande, Folding@home research lead at Stanford University, had this to say about your contributions:

“The PS3 system was a game changer for Folding@home, as it opened the door for new methods and new processors, eventually also leading to the use of GPUs. We have had numerous successes in recent years. Specifically, in a paper just published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, we report on tests of predictions from earlier Folding@home simulations, and how these predictions have led to a new strategy to fight Alzheimer’s disease. The next steps, now underway at Stanford, are to take this lead compound and help push it towards a viable drug. It’s too early to report on our preliminary results there, but I’m very excited that the directions set out in this paper do appear to be bearing fruit in terms of a viable drug (not just a drug candidate).”

Please note, the games shown in the picture above are examples, and do not represent existing PS3 or PS Vita games.

320 Comments

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7

+ Redrox on October 23rd, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

Where the heck is this update you are talking about? The day is almost over and NO update. Oh Sony…

+ boriscamarena4 on October 23rd, 2012 at 4:33 pm said:

Sony RULES! Ok no its oct 23 and im on 4.25 THISSSSS SUCKKKSSSS!

+ romeyo007 on October 23rd, 2012 at 4:59 pm said:

It’s my first time that I waited for an update and that what happen, it get delayed. I wish I never checked it out.

+ Iory_617 on October 23rd, 2012 at 5:21 pm said:

Thropies… who the hell cares about thropies? they should take care of thing that actually matters like a proper video player that supports all the video extensions used today

+ yohan12 on October 23rd, 2012 at 5:22 pm said:

@250 I think Sony runs on Pacific time.

+ Sharakon on October 23rd, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

Is this a bluff?? Again!!! Will This resolve the adding funds PROBLEM? I want this update to go up in the next 30minutes or an hour i just want to buy my game that i want.. C’mon!

+ b20vtechb on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:07 pm said:

most likely delayed cause of recent hacking progress. level 0 keys out in the open and 4.21-4.25 custom firmware

+ SpooNManX on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:22 pm said:

How about replacing Life with something cool that uses the power of the PS3..
GOOGLE EARTH perhaps?

+ Ryusennin on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:38 pm said:

@Sony

There’s a BIG FAT BUG in this firmware.

The trophies are synced EVERY TIME we want to look at them, even when there’s no new trophy to update. This takes FOREVER and it ABUSES your precious bandwidth. FIX IT.

+ Ryusennin on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:49 pm said:

[EDIT]

Ok, it appears there are two modes to display the trophies: online (default, synchronizes ALL THE TIME) and offline (what does that mean exactly, it’s everyone’s guess). Who’s genius idea was this? If you were trying to replicate the XBox Live syncing method, you should have tried harder.

+ The_Dukenator on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:55 pm said:

Try offline to see what happens.

+ joedurtee2012 on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:58 pm said:

How about doin somthing about the lag switchers
hate to see black ops 2 ruined because of constant lag switching cheaters

+ The_Dukenator on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:00 pm said:

Offline mode is the opposite of online mode. I believe the auto sync was PSN+ exclusive.

+ MrTreatsNV on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:30 pm said:

Now if you would let us delete games that we dont have any trophies in not useless changes like moving trophie location

+ SeanEvan1 on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:33 pm said:

i get an error message …. i dont even have vita so why do i have to deal with this i cant play any games …… very frustrating dumb error message every damn time 80710723

+ SeanEvan1 on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:41 pm said:

This is my last words I believe suicide is the best option here . The unability to download this because of an erro disturbs me. I am unable to play games online therefore 40 % of my life is gone. Good bye .

+ BoRiCuAnPR on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

why I CAN’T SIGN IN? it has been like this for like 3 or 4 days now I can access the browser but then an error pops up saying Javascript error and then when i try to play online this freaking code pops up 80710092 and i cant do anything my ps3… is useless for me now >:(

+ Schmeghead2010 on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:52 pm said:

since downloading the new firmware, my friend list is taking FOREVER to load as are the avatars of my friends. please note this for a quick fix it soon please!! thanks

+ SpAcE_ChIeF on October 23rd, 2012 at 9:32 pm said:

Hey, I turned off my plugins…when It asked me if I wanted to run one, i put no, and said not to display it again, thinking I could turn it back on. Can I run plugins anymore? How do I turn them back on?

+ MrBeatdown on October 23rd, 2012 at 9:47 pm said:

I’m not sure what the point of online/offline modes are.

Online mode requires me to sync before viewing it, so the lists are identical either way. The only point I see is the trophy level and PS3/Vita icons being available only in online mode. I don’t see why that stuff can’t just be synced and saved offline, and updated during a sync. As is, it seems redundant.

And while I’m on the subject of trophies… syncing is ridiculously slow. It takes roughly a minute for me to sync my trophies. When I got my first trophy in Uncharted 1, it took 3-4 seconds. I don’t understand why this can’t be improved, especially when the competition can do it instantly.

And comparing with friends is simply awful. It takes several minutes. If I can go to any third-party trophy site and pull up data for any PSN ID within a few seconds, why does it take several minutes to do that on PS3?

+ LilHavanaBlue305 on October 23rd, 2012 at 10:11 pm said:

when i try and add a friend it tells me communication with the server timed out

+ Herwest299 on October 23rd, 2012 at 10:44 pm said:

I’m a bit confused although it’s possible this has been asked before but, ever since this update, my friends list loads incredibly slowly. It would take about 40 minutes for my whole friends list to come up and take another 30 minutes for their avatar to show and no, it’s not my internet connection. This used to not happen before the system update.

+ Herwest299 on October 23rd, 2012 at 10:45 pm said:

I see now that other people have the same problem.

+ Oropo_Dochi on October 23rd, 2012 at 10:49 pm said:

love the PSVita trophy showing in your collection ,buty I wish the give you the option to get rid off ps3 game trophies that are at 0% I got a bunch of those when my friends bring over their games to check them out an it install themselves now is a black mark you cant get rid off even if you have no intention of playing those games ever.

+ Ryusennin on October 23rd, 2012 at 10:55 pm said:

@Duke

Have you tried it yourself? I (ironically) asked because right now, both modes work *exactly* the same. Of course I guessed the offline mode should be the equivalent of what we had previously, but that’s not the case with this firmware. Whichever mode you select, the trophies are constantly synced when you want to display them.

And I have a hunch that the uberslow display of the trophy cards in the contact list is somehow related to this forced trophy refresh. Which would mean that every time you look at a friend’s tag, the server forces a sync of your friend’s trophies. If true, that would be insane.

+ snowman1383 on October 23rd, 2012 at 11:09 pm said:

So if life w/PlayStation was such a game changer and success why trash it? I personally use it every day and love that I can help contribute to the cause. And you know what would be awesome….more space for status on psn. Always hated being so limited. And one more thing..allow me to share with 5 PlayStations again. If I buy a game I Shi old be able to share with whomever I choose.

+ deathgaze01 on October 23rd, 2012 at 11:10 pm said:

yeah i’m affected by the goddamn lag as well they better release a fix ASAP

+ snowman1383 on October 23rd, 2012 at 11:28 pm said:

One more thing….how about a twitch tv app?

+ The_Dukenator on October 24th, 2012 at 12:56 am said:

@275 I did try it. Note how the game list changes in either mode, even if you haven’t unlocked trophies for some time.

Online goes by the date of the trophy last unlocked per game, offline goes by the last time the game was played.

+ terions on October 24th, 2012 at 3:10 am said:

This new firmware i notice doesn’t allow you to buy any game if it can’t fit in your hard disk. What the hell?

What if I want to buy a game which is on offer and only download it later? This is a stupid feature if you ask me…

+ Magic_Sand on October 24th, 2012 at 4:20 am said:

Hmmm

+ MastiksouL_15 on October 24th, 2012 at 6:13 am said:

fcking update puted my ps3 blocking all the time, ty very much playstation –’

+ AmO0OsH-KSA on October 24th, 2012 at 6:58 am said:

i need add Arabic Language

(( Please T_T ))

+ dreamboat- on October 24th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

Thanks so much PS3/SONY I was playing GTA IV and I was going for trophies and I’ve noticed that trophies pop up almost instantaneously like the Xbox thank you so much it’s a good update!

+ Dan_dannunzio on October 24th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

dont exactly love the new update, i like the trophies where they were, it was easier to pause the game and quickly look up what i have and dont have when it was right above the game instead of where it is now :/

+ nanaki85 on October 24th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

This was a bad idea moving the ‘game trophies’ from the game section to the PSN section but still leaving the Playstation Store Icon under games..? These two really need to swap places.

+ Sgt_0951 on October 24th, 2012 at 2:49 pm said:

I used Folding@home for the first few years on my Fatboy. I did limited use after that because I didn’t think it was doing its longevity any good (ended up dying after 4 full years). I only used it sparingly on my Slim & it sucks that it will be gone. I thought Life With Playstation would have been a terrific PS3 app in itself with just a few minor adjustments. Still, I’m glad that I was able to make a positive contribution towards research in disease and medical science.

+ GraySeal1 on October 24th, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

It’s disturbing that you would abandon a truly noble app such as Folding@Home! It is a sad day!

+ GraySeal1 on October 24th, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

Oh & Trophies are GAME trophies & should be under GAME menu!

+ Zezzler on October 24th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

Welp, yet another broken firmware update.

Everytime I try to install it I get to 99% and then it just stops. I’ve tried about 10 times now, and still nothing.

And no, the PS3 support forums didn’t help, it just showed me that I’m not the only one who is dealing with this BS.

FIX THIS.

+ phinnv8 on October 24th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

Can’t believe the Xbox 360′s fall update brought a ton of new features and interface improvements to their console.

What does PS3 get? Some garbage mandatory update that adds NOTHING to aging console interface but removal of features. This console has become such a joke.

+ The_Dukenator on October 24th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

@290 Are you updating it over wireless?

@291 Let’s face it. Xbox 360 sucks now. I don’t care for any of the features, except to play games.

@280 Odd. Have you considered upgrading your hard drive? If you just buy the game and not download it, it should appear in your transaction history.

+ liammassey on October 24th, 2012 at 5:54 pm said:

This Update has left me with a problam I now can’t get on the Playstation Store and sometimes I cant sign in at all, so sony better fix this

+ carlossus666 on October 24th, 2012 at 6:22 pm said:

@ Sony Playstation Network Team

Ok ok, It’s all nice and pretty , throphies stuff and PlayStation Store etc. But… I don’t understand why do I have SINGSTAR Online Demo Songs download in my XMB Games line?? I can’t remove it.. so it somehow violates my private space on my private game console. I’m slowly starting to think , How long before time ,when after every update I will see more commercials , adverts , demos , and who knows what other stuff that I will be UNABLE to remove. I don’t like it Sony. It’s my console, and I want to decide what stays and what goes. So Please… On the next update occasion , don’t forget to add REMOVE option to the stuff You putting on our consoles. Thank You.

+ Kenny_Cartman on October 24th, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

I’d like to be able to delete trophies as well. Games with like 0-5% that I just didnt like, I would really like to not have on my list. Being a plus member, it’s not unusual to try one of the free games and it not be my thing. Having alot of 0-5% trophies for this reason really clutters up the list.

+ Zezzler on October 24th, 2012 at 9:23 pm said:

Greeeaaat. Now that the update proceeded (finally), Now i’m stuck in an infinite loop in the updating section.
Now the install gets to 99% and then I get error 8002F310, and then it tries again just to get the same error again.

I can’t even use the f**king thing for anything!

Now what am I supposed to do?

+ herr4200 on October 24th, 2012 at 11:29 pm said:

UGLY LEAVE IT IN GAME SECTION THE TROPHYS THAT IS

+ Taishakten on October 25th, 2012 at 3:39 am said:

listen, i just did this update and now i cant watch videos. Did anybody else have this problem? Also while i was playing tekken tag 2 it shut off while i was playing. that never happened b4 the update…

+ MoshuaDeath on October 25th, 2012 at 5:10 am said:

This update is HORRIBLE! The move under the network icon is fine, the Vita inclusion is amazing! But after playing any particular game at any given time at and darn point requires me to sync my trophies EVERY TIME I go to view them… Hate it, I love Playstation. I love all of the support and every exclusive has been in my hands. But this one thing really irks me.

+ Crazy-Maisy on October 25th, 2012 at 6:00 am said:

The difference between Online and Offline trophies is: Online is ALL your trophies. Offline is what’s on your PS3, the one you are using to view trophies on. It works just like before, only now PS Vita trophies are mixed into the Online trophy list.

Some people have more than one PS3 that they play on, so they should understand this easily, the difference of Online and Offline from before is now subtitles were added to the list. (Plus the addition of PS Vita trophies to the Online list.)

I like it moved to where it is. I like the PS Vita trophies showing.

Just like before: you can sort your trophies … just hit your Triangle for options.

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7