Horizon Zero Dawn

Nov 08

Nov 08

October 2012 PSN Top Sellers: Retro City Rampage Dominates PS Vita Charts

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Retro City Rampage

While we tip our hats to yet another amazing performance byThe Walking Dead with Episode 4: Around Every Corner, we’re giving the spotlight to a little game that could — Retro City Rampage.

Last month’s top PS Vita seller, Retro City Rampage pays tribute to games from days gone by, while adopting the open-world gameplay of modern day titles. Crafted by a small team led by Brian Provinciano, the game features an 8-bit art style, complete with amazing chiptunes.

Honorable mentions go to a number of the Day 1 Digital games. Dishonored, NBA 2K13,Resident Evil 6, Doom 3 BFG Edition, and Assassin’s Creed 3 (not to mention a great performance by Assassin’s Creed III Liberation on PS Vita) all debuted in fine form.

Congrats once again to The Walking Dead Episode 4 and Retro City Rampage. Check out the full results below and let us know what your predictions for the charts are for November. If you’re interested to see how your favorite PSN titles performed overseas, you can check out the EU Blog’s Top PSN Sellers post as well.

Top 20 PSN Games of The Month

5. Alien Zombie Death

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

JimmyHACK said:

November 8th, 7:06 am

LOVE DIGITAL!

Any word if Black Ops 2 may be digital on release next Tuesday? Not bothering pre-ordering just waiting and hoping

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

November 8th, 1:56 pm

I have not seen any news on this and I don’t believe it’s on any of the schedules for a Day 1 release on PSN.

NinjaMicWZ said:

November 8th, 7:09 am

Way to go Retro City! One of the best things to play on Vita.

Loving Need for Speed, Smart As, and SF x Tekken right now. Wish more ppl were competing in Smart As on my friends list :/

I always love LBP.

Corpse Party at #1 shows that $9.99 a great price.

Make a 64 GB card, please.

JimmyHACK said:

November 8th, 7:11 am

Yes, I second that 64 gig card request!

saskamazon said:

November 8th, 7:14 am

my prediction for number 1 Nov. game goes to ep. 5 of the Walking Dead – what a fantastic series ! can hardly wait to see what cliff hanger they leave us with …. if anyone out there hasn’t played this, you’re missing out. this was my 1st Zombie game & the 2 free plus episodes got me hooked – I went & directly bought the seasons pass …

depending what the Vita + perks offered are, that will alter the top 10 for the Vita lineup …. really looking fwd. to All Stars ! sure looked & played well on the Vita …. also happy to hear there will be additional characters to add to the roster … fun fun !

Valde_zerocool said:

November 8th, 7:14 am

I’m glad the day 1 digital program is such a success, any word on PS All Stars Battle Royale being added to that list? On that note will it contain the same pre order bonuses as the stores get?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

November 8th, 1:57 pm

PSABR will be released on day 1 on PSN. It’ll also support Cross Buy as well, so you’ll get a version for your PS Vita as well.

Nergil said:

November 8th, 7:15 am

You’d probably sell more if 1) The new store wasn’t so useless, and 2) I could sort my download list and actually find the stuff I’ve already bought. But hey, it’s obvious from your horrible marketing of the Vita, and your constant brush off of simple requests that you don’t really want any money.

Evil_Torque said:

November 8th, 7:15 am

Hi could you give us some info about the DLC for Skyrim

Velmonte said:

November 8th, 7:16 am

Very good games being top sellers. Surely those can keep me busy during these holidays. Thank you

Can ya’ll please implement the option to delete our 0% trophy list OFF our PSN accounts?
Considering their trophy difficulty, makes it a NO motivation to return to play them and a YES wish to get rid of it’s trophy list.

applepfreak420 said:

November 8th, 7:22 am

Hey Morgan, I know your tired of hearing this but. Can I look forward to getting plus on my vita next week along with black ops II or what. Id love a post full of info.
Thanks, applepfreak

JokerZombie- said:

November 8th, 7:23 am

talking about the month, me and my friends haven’t received the $20 bonus for spending over $100 last month. Is this normal?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

November 8th, 1:58 pm

Should be around the 9th of November; watch your PS3 inbox on the XMB

MoonLance said:

November 8th, 7:30 am

I see Odin Sphere, P3FES, FFVII, Corpse Party, and Ragnarok Odyssey (it’s a great game, Vita owners!) in the top lists. My faith in gamers has been restored.

JimmyHACK said:

November 8th, 7:31 am

@ JokerZombie- expect the credits to start rolling out any day now

buffpotato said:

November 8th, 7:32 am

Surprised to see NFS:MW didn’t crack top 20, that’s a great game.

I bought Odin Sphere when it was $5, but haven’t really had the chance to play it. I’m also kinda annoyed at PS2 Classics not supporting the Wireless Stereo Headset.

Will there ever be a patch for PS2 Classics to support the Wireless Stereo Headset like they do with all other games? I submitted a share idea but it hasn’t been approved yet.

promethean said:

November 8th, 7:35 am

Great! So, wheres our $20 voucher for all of us who helped make these games top sellers with our $100+ purchases? Weeks ago a someone here responded that they would be credited between the 2nd & 7th, but here we are on the 8th with no voucher and no one has responded to any inquiry users have made on this issue in the last 4 or 5 days. Not cool!

buffpotato said:

November 8th, 7:37 am

@14, they have. They said on or around the 9th now…

Kedaro said:

November 8th, 7:45 am

yea want to know if black ops 2 will be digital or not… I would rather get it digital on the psn, than physical or digital on steam or whatever.

also I bought

Retro City Rampage
Battlefield 3 Premium Bundle
NFS Most Wanted
and Artorias of the Abyss DLC for Dark Souls

Which comes to over $130 for October and haven’t received word yet about the $20 credit I hope this is a glitch or did I miss some fine print somewhere?

ocaxeman said:

November 8th, 7:45 am

“RE5 Gold Edition” HELL YESSS!!!! LOVE YOU “PS+” THANKS!

promethean said:

November 8th, 7:52 am

@15 thanks, I thought I’d canvassed all of the “red” responses before posting, but I guess I missed one.

Kedaro said:

November 8th, 7:55 am

yea @15 thanks i haven’t gotten a response from anyone else.

jason_redemption said:

November 8th, 7:58 am

when are we going to get our $20 promo for spending $100 in Oct?

TXCScorpion said:

November 8th, 7:59 am

Glad to see Corpse Party @ No.1

We need all of the games over here.

DaMann22 said:

November 8th, 8:19 am

Finally some of the big name Vita titles are making the top 10 list and not the smaller inexpensive titles. Need to keep this momentum going SONY.

bldudas said:

November 8th, 8:37 am

Assassin’s Creed III is number 8 and it was only available for two days in October. heh

Anyway, all my PS3 games I bought retail. I downloaded New Little King’s Story and Sunflowers for my Vita. The other Vita games I bought were retail.

UnholyBahamut said:

November 8th, 8:38 am

Wow FFVII is still selling :O . By the way I think you should add some numbers to that. I would give us a good perspective :)

Dubloon7 said:

November 8th, 8:39 am

? Wait! How is Walking Dead, Episode 4 the #1 top selling PS3/PSN game when it’s only #5 in PS3 Add-on downloads?

Ryumoau said:

November 8th, 8:39 am

Alittle surprised to see the MW3 dlc outsell the borderlands ones. I guess its also counting people who got it free from the Elite service.

Glad, to see Walking Dead number 1. Unfinished Swan would have done better had it been priced reasonably and had a demo.

Sevyne said:

November 8th, 9:08 am

And Corpse Party takes back it’s PSP throne where it belongs!

Sevyne said:

November 8th, 9:13 am

I do find it amusing that Walking Dead EP4 is in both add-ons and full games when it’s neither, and this shows that even Sony doesn’t know what to consider it.

Episodic releases are their own beast. Individually they are just episodes. They are a fraction or slice of the complete pie. All of them combined make a complete game. They aren’t individually full games nor are they add-ons.

Regardless of that though, the Episodes deserve the sales they are getting. Quality stuff.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

November 8th, 2:00 pm

The way the game is built is technically an add-on. (you need Ep 1 to play subsequent episodes). However, due to the nature of the game’s content, it gives a more compelling picture to see how it did with games of similar quality and content.

adolson said:

November 8th, 9:14 am

I’m loving Okami HD. I would totally buy Okamiden if it were to come to Vita…

BuriedSorrow said:

November 8th, 9:17 am

I love The Walking Dead. It’s gonna be sad to see it end.

Dubloon7 said:

November 8th, 9:18 am

@30: Walking Dead is ONLY Season 1. Season 2 will more than likely be out next year

PhillyTheCat said:

November 8th, 9:22 am

buffpotato-Odinsphere is great. Go play now! :)

tadeowolfs said:

November 8th, 9:26 am

Where is our $20 dollar credit? i spent 150$ in october.

TwinDad said:

November 8th, 9:37 am

@Dubloon7

I was thinking about that game being listed in both places too. Strange that it’s a standalone game and an add-on too. But as the other add-ons that are listed are not playable without the main game I suspect they will not be listed as a stand alone game. So the add-ons for Borderlands for example have sold more copies then Walking dead episode 4 has alone. I do however wonder if that includes folks who downloaded it as part of the season pass.

Asphaltum said:

November 8th, 9:38 am

FOR THE LAST TIME THE $20 WILL ARRIVE BETWEEN NOVEMBER 9TH TO NOVEMBER 16TH.

Elvick_ said:

November 8th, 9:44 am

With Angry Birds always on top of Minis, it’s ridiculous we didn’t get the Angry Birds Trilogy on the PS Vita.

It’s good to see a lot of good releases on the Vita’s top charts.

BuriedSorrow said:

November 8th, 9:46 am

I thought Morgan said between the 7th and 9th for the $20 voucher. Now it’s between the 9th and 16th? I wouldn’t be surprised to see it at the end of the month or even next month.

lllxSAVAGExlll said:

November 8th, 9:49 am

Hello everyone I just bought last month my sub of playstation plus for a year and I’ve been telling all my friends to get it as it seems like a good investment then this tue I go into the new ps store and download WHAT I THOUGHT WAS FREE RE5!!! Then I get an email saying thank you for your purchase. I called Playstation and they said it takes 10 to 15 days To give my money back ? Can I please get a response I’m not one to ever blog but I do enjoy reading the comments also that money I had on my wallet was going towards playstation all stars !!!! Can someone message me on psn or respond please that’s $30!!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

November 8th, 2:02 pm

As long as you’ve contacted CS and they’re getting you your $$ back, the time table they mentioned is the best that is possible I’m afraid. This was a hiccup in the Store Update where RE5 wasn’t showing up free in Plus. It now is, but I understand that it affected some Plus members who accidentally purchased it when they thought the update was fully live.

Dubloon7 said:

November 8th, 10:09 am

@38, you should have actually looked at your wallet before purchasing. didn’t you read the 100+ comments on the tuesday PSN update post to see that 100+ commenters were having the same issue and DIDN’T buy the product b/c it wasn’t free at the time?

deal with your dumb mistake. hopefully sony will prevent this issue from happening in the future.

lisatsunami said:

November 8th, 10:09 am

@38, I’ve been a Plus member since the beginning. There seems to be a mistake on the store update pretty much every week, but the RE5 debacle is probably the most serious we’ve had. I think the new store design glitches impacted on that problem.

I subscribe to the Playstation twitter feed & they tweeted about the RE5 error on Tuesday. Sorry you’re having a bad first experience. I think being a Plus member is well worth it, even with all the mistakes. I’m sure you’ll eventually get a refund since they tweeted they knew they had a problem.

DarkOne_PR said:

November 8th, 10:14 am

FF7 again in the top1 spot…. SONY/SE PLS REMAKE NOW!!!! Isnt that showing u how much the world love the game and how much we want a freaking remake!!! might as well now and wait for the ps4 to launch it….

MakoSOLIDER said:

November 8th, 10:16 am

OUCH. Thats not good at all. The Unfinished Swan in 10th place….shudve been way higher

lisatsunami said:

November 8th, 10:21 am

@42, I agree with you. I’m just playing Unfinished Swan now, after finally finishing Dark Souls, and it’s great. I think not having a demo makes many people reluctant & people who are mainly multiplayer/FPS fans won’t give a unique game like this a try.

They probably also won’t give Okami a buy either, so that’s another fantastic gaming experience they’ll miss.

grisleyadams31 said:

November 8th, 10:42 am

when i start up assassins creed 3 liberation , it takes me back to the title screen. this happens when i continue my data. no updates are on my live area screen so im not sure why its doing that. cant go into multiplayer/extras. when i try it says “wifi is off” and i know thats not true because my ps3 and 360 are both running great on wifi.

Kchow23 said:

November 8th, 10:49 am

Not sure whether or not Retro City Rampage being #1 for PS Vita is a good or bad thing for the system itself much like the Top 20 PS3 games. Could be that these PSN games sold extraordinarily well and the other games sold well too or quite the opposite, but I suppose we’ll never know. Regardless, good to see some of these PSN games be up there in the list.

blinkstar17 said:

November 8th, 10:57 am

I’m excited to see the Day 1 Digital ilst for November. Any idea when that will be up? I realize Black Ops II may be unlikely but I’m hoping to at least see Hitman: Absolution.

Sevyne said:

November 8th, 11:00 am

@45: You have to keep in mind that RCR is a digital only game as well. Games like ACIII: Liberation, Ragnarok, and LBP have sales split between physical and digital. This chart only represents digital sales.

saab01 said:

November 8th, 11:10 am

I really wanted to try out Unfinished Swan and Tokyo Jungle but with no demo I didn’t want to make a purchase than regret it.

Kchow23 said:

November 8th, 11:13 am

@47 Yes that is very true, but you would hope that digital starts picking up on PSN considering how the PS Vita is not doing very well at all and I doubt that a PS Vita game will even chart in NPD. So being optimistic, hopefully these games sold well and RCR just outdid them and not the opposite but again we will never know.

Kchow23 said:

November 8th, 11:14 am

I am interested to see if the new Store changes up the numbers a bit if at all.

PAGE 1 2