Nov 09

So, Today is My Last Day at PlayStation

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Nov 09, 2012 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Jeff Rubenstein

After five years, 5,995 blog posts, and 10,888 Tweets, today is my final day at PlayStation. We’ve accomplished a lot together: we’ve built PlayStation.Blog into one of the most influential blogs in the world, amassed the largest Twitter following in the industry and the 8th most fans in the world on Facebook (watch out McDonalds!). I mention these stats not to brag, but because I continue to be amazed at the enduring strength of the PlayStation brand and its fervent fans, whom I’ve been lucky to serve as Social Media Dudebro since 2007.

Jeff yells at people a lot

PlayStation, specifically SCEA, has been very good to me. I’ve been sent to gamescom, Tokyo Game Show, PAXes East and Prime, Comic-Con, and E3 many times over. I’ve gotten to personally put PS Vitas into fans’ hands for the first time at Social Club events. I’ve gotten to share exciting news, first looks, and big reveals with you, then relay your feedback to the teams that created them. Keep telling us what you think; it really does count!

Most impactful of all, I’ve met thousands of great people — gaming industry, media, and PlayStation fans — some of whom have become true friends.

Jeff just pretends to play games

Now, I’m actually looking forward to jumping back over to the fan side of the fence. Working through my massive backlog of games (starting with The Unfinished Swan this weekend). Buying The Last of Us at a midnight launch. Actually being surprised at E3.

It’ll be a big adjustment for me — but not for you. Perhaps the most important thing I’ve done here at PlayStation is surround myself with people more talented (if not better looking) than myself. Sid, Rey, and Justin are the reasons PlayStation.Blog is as informative, entertaining, and influential as it is. None of that will change when I walk out the door this afternoon. And I guess that’s why I’m at peace with moving on; my work here is well and truly done.

Play with me on PSN (JeffPS) and/or follow me on Twitter (@jeffrubenstein). I’m practicing PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale right now. Bring it, my Radec is ready.

TL;DR I’ve really loved working with, and for, all of you.

Jeff eats like a girl

P.S. — Confession time: I’m the one who spilled coffee all over the break room on October 15th, 2007. I didn’t know how to operate the coffee maker. I regret the error.

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ wocyob on November 9th, 2012 at 10:54 pm said:

Take care and best wishes. Really sad to see you go since your the reason I kept going back to this Blog. Well thanks for everything you did you will be missed.

+ ElektroDragon on November 9th, 2012 at 11:06 pm said:

Dare I say it? You built a WAY better blog than Major Nelson!

+ mfire52 on November 9th, 2012 at 11:20 pm said:

Jeff. I still remember the first time I met you at a PS promotion at UCF a couple of years ago. You greeted us at the door and handed out LBP codes and t shirts and even gave us BBQ. I thought to myself man this guy works for such a huge company but he’s so friendly and down to earth and not in a fake PR kind of way but just genuinely nice and also wondered if you were somehow related to Bryan Singer. After that event I followed the blog a little closer and while I never post I always enjoyed sitting down and reading or listening to you guys on the blogcast which has helped me get through some long overnight shifts. Jeff you will be missed and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Thank you for all of the great times. *raises beer* TO JEFF!!!!!!!

+ MarinoBrea on November 9th, 2012 at 11:39 pm said:

They should make a PSN avatar of Jeff Rubenstein and name a fun place at PS Home after him. He deserves it.

+ lobotomies4free on November 9th, 2012 at 11:52 pm said:

Appreciate you’re great work an interviews. Look up to you and wish you the best

+ TWODEEEE on November 9th, 2012 at 11:59 pm said:

lol i bet hes going to xbox

+ mainkster on November 10th, 2012 at 12:57 am said:

Fired on a Friday , i didn’t really notice you since i only check the plus update and store update , morgan is next lol , your all FIRED lol evil boss laugh

+ cjmc18 on November 10th, 2012 at 1:12 am said:

before even reading this I must say how i felt when i read the topic: it was like a punch to the stomach and all i said out loud here alone was: WHAT? I’ll always be a PlayStation fan but where ever you go we fans will find you :)

+ GreyFox_92 on November 10th, 2012 at 1:33 am said:

Sad news! You did a great work indeed, good luck for your future!

+ Veitsknight2 on November 10th, 2012 at 2:09 am said:

Just when I got into PS Blog Bye Jeff. Best of luck on your future gaming endeavors

+ HeySumbode on November 10th, 2012 at 3:05 am said:

Bye Jeff, Good luck on your future endeavors….

+ banok on November 10th, 2012 at 3:35 am said:

Well, this definitely is not a good week for me. First, I didn’t get participate in the Tomb Raider playtest because I didin’t have a ride, second, getting 3rd in the SouthTown Arcade Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for the first time, and third is you leaving Playstation, you’re like the face of the Psblog from the very beginning, oh well, I’m not going to wish you luck because I know you’re going to do great on your next adventure, and plus I don’t believe in luck, lol.

Are you at least staying in the bay area?

+ iZalman007 on November 10th, 2012 at 4:11 am said:

Sorry to hear that, Sly C… I mean Jeff! Can I please have your job? ;)

Just kidding, I wish you the best of luck in the future!

+ KILLO31 on November 10th, 2012 at 4:16 am said:

Sad to see you go Jeff :( dose this means Nick’s beard is replacing you ?

+ Xtream__Attitude on November 10th, 2012 at 4:35 am said:

Thanks Jeff you will be missed, I wish yu luck in your future :D Oh one more thing…. I can’t very well not say it… In words of spock from Star Trek “Live Long and Prosper”

+ TubaDude49 on November 10th, 2012 at 5:40 am said:

It’s been a great 5 years. You’ll always be Social Media Dudebro to me.
Have fun in whatever direction life takes you.

+ legendkiller08 on November 10th, 2012 at 7:05 am said:

It’s so hard…to say good-bye…

Well, I do wish you the absolute best Jeff. It has been great to have you here and thanks for the memories.

+ GhostMachine1 on November 10th, 2012 at 7:09 am said:

You made my dream come true by letting us attend e3. Thank you Jeff.

+ aat08 on November 10th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

Wow mate, i’ve been reading your posts and often commenting looong before the EU PS blog’s eruption ; sad to see you leave but certainly wish you the best for the future and will keep up with you through twitter; cheers and thanks!

+ saab01 on November 10th, 2012 at 7:53 am said:

You will be missed.

+ gokhujee on November 10th, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

awww what man u will be missed, im living in the uk but whenever I seen some vita previews or anything I used to see you there u told us a bit about mgs back in the day to man, hope u move onto something more better and more beneficial. Have a great time man whenever I think of Playstation I think of you lol. Your one of the reasons Ive become a massive playstation fan lol.

+ midnightshade on November 10th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

Bye Jeff….

As a fellow Pennsylvania Philly area man, it was nice having a connection to the community from someone from my area.. It seems everyone is from the west coast in the tech industry, so I was surprised years ago when I found out you were from PA. (been on this blog since inception..)

I will miss you on the blogcast especially…

Speaking of which, was this why there is no blogcast this week? I hope you not being here means missing episodes. I anticipate the blogcast every week, as I have to drive an hour to and from work everyday. Please let me know that the blogcast will continue and that Sid is dedicated to it. I

Anyways, this is sad news. I really don’t want to see you go, and from the looks of it 1000s of others feel the same way. It’s like a little part of PlayStation died today :( I do wish you look in the years to come though, and don’t be a stranger to the blog. Best wishes…

+ Sephir007 on November 10th, 2012 at 8:49 am said:

Farewell Jeff and thank you so much for all your dedicated work we will miss you!!

+ Zyzxx on November 10th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

Wow! Sorry to hear you you’re leaving, Jeff! Best of luck to you! I’ll keep following you via Twitter, and hopefully see you on the PSN!

+ twocam16 on November 10th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

Good luck with your future endeavors Jeff!

+ HitokiriKamina on November 10th, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

I rarely post but I felt the need to on this post. You will be missed Jeff, it really won’t be the same without you.

+ NakhtiEmperor1 on November 10th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

Thank you for all the fun stuff you have brought to the blog. Everyone is going to miss you, I hope you to see you online and where ever you lead to next!

+ CapinChronic on November 10th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Good luck, may the PS force be with you.! You made this blog what it is today, thank you sir.

+ JKar275 on November 10th, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

I remember meeting you in NYC at the PS Move Event and discussing Deep Black and it’s publisher 505 Games.

I’m very sorry to read that you’re leaving Sony and I wish you the very best of luck in your future endeavors!

+ WrekGar on November 10th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

Jeff you may be gone from Playstation but you have left your mark and will definitely never be forgotten. See you on the network and don’t be thinking your gonna catch up to me with the trophies.

+ inFAMOUS-787 on November 10th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

The PSBlog will truly never be the same. Thank you for all your time Mr. Rubenstein and good luck with future endeavors.

+ EvoAnubis on November 10th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Just read this via Google Currents on my Nexus 7 and rushed to my computer to leave a comment.

You’ll be missed around here, Jeff. I was here on the PlayStation.Blog from day one (and have the T-shirt you guys sent me to prove it), and it’s been awesome seeing this site grow. Sid, Ray, and Justin are cool guys, but they’re no Jeff Rubenstein.

It won’t be the same without you, brother, but I wish you well for whatever comes next for you. Godspeed, Jeff.

~DeAno J.

+ JLP_M on November 10th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Say it ain’t so Jeff! There is indeed going to be a gap here on the blog. We all wish you the best Jeff! Take care man, gonna miss you.

+ BlueBl1zzard on November 10th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

Wow it’s going to be sad to see you go :( If I wasn’t a guy I would cry (real men don’t cry). The best of luck to you in whatever you do and wherever you go.

+ Eccentrick on November 10th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

Noooooo!!!!! Jeff … please … don’t … don’t … don’t leave us … don’t leave us with … with SID!!!

+ gold1617 on November 10th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

Gonna miss Jeff soooooooooooo much. He made the best posts on here:(

+ jackwesten on November 10th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

Thanks for everything. Wishing you the best of luck.

+ Niko_of_Death on November 10th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

+ PrinceofXIII on November 10th, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

so Aram Jabbari will fill some of your role now?

we’ll miss you man :\

+ Adriane on November 10th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Good luck in your future endeavors Jeff! But more importantly…….you call that a backlog???

+ Matrix_Lion on November 10th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

Man this sucks, goodbye and good luck Jeff Rubenstein. Take Care!

+ boomstickbhg on November 10th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Good luck good sir and thank you for all you’ve done for the playstation community.

As long as your secret new job isn’t for microsoft or nintendo I wish you the best of luck!

If it is with one of those, then I wish you personal good fortune, but none for the competition heh.

+ destruction1983 on November 10th, 2012 at 11:58 am said:

aww why Jeff Rubenstein!! :.(

+ MiiAmigo on November 10th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

Will miss you old friend. At least I got to hang out with you at several PS events. God of War 3 event at SF was bananas.

+ Beatboxtaun on November 10th, 2012 at 12:18 pm said:

Wow, Jeff….I don’t know what to say, other than, this saddened me. We really enjoyed listening to your insight and spunk on the Blogcast with the fellas. I know I’m late to the party, since you said yesterday was your last day. But, you will be missed and remind me to never let you pour the coffee. Take care!

+ twistedfloyd on November 11th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

Farewell, Jeff. Always appreciated the work you did here. Good luck on your next venture in life, and thank you.

+ babybluedb on November 11th, 2012 at 1:06 pm said:

Wow this is sad.. i know your gone by now but you’ll be missed.. i remember when you first came i was like who’s this jeff character.. lol but good luck on whatever your moving on to

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on November 11th, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

Have a good one Jeff, when the blog started I tried to add you on fb as a friend, you declined, I tried to add you on psn, you declined but when I had issues with my posts taking a week to show up on the blog, you got it fixed, when my login ended up being mixed up with anothers, you got it fixed, when the hackers hacked the psn and I said I had info, you made sure the legal department knew I was calling. when People needed help on the blog or wanted our hard thought ideas put into the ps3, you nagged the bosses, I will miss ya from here as will many others. we find we dont get the same quality from the others that you gave with 110% of yourself. i guess with your lil one growing up and the time you spend away, it is a career move not only for you but for your family to spend more time together. Games are great but family is the most important part of any life. I never got to go to any meet ups, I never got to E3 but I plan to apply for work at Sony and back in 09 when I first said that, you sent me the link to the hiring page. Thanks Jeff, through it all you were always there, Like a soldier guarding his company.

+ Wartech on November 11th, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

This very sad news. Last year we lost Veronica. Then Qore shut down its doors. Now PlayStation The Official Magazine is closing and now you’re leaving. I honestly can’t say I’m happy about this. But as my friend Octavia used to say life is change. Good luck and thanks.

+ HongoXIII on November 11th, 2012 at 5:50 pm said:

Best of luck on your future endeavors, Jeff.

I was actually shocked to read the headline when I visited the site earlier, it kinda made me bummed, but it is what it is.

Either way, like I said above, best of luck.

PAGE 1 2 3 5