Uncharted 4

YouTube for PS Vita: Update to Version 2

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Dec 03, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

Since June, PS Vita owners have enjoyed watching videos via the YouTube app on the device’s brilliant 5” OLED screen, bringing you entertaining, hilarious, and viral videos, plus trailers for the hottest games coming to PS Vita and PS3 on the official PlayStation channel. While PS Vita’s YouTube app launched with a robust set of features, today you can update the app to version 2, bringing several new features that will enhance your viewing experience even further. Here are the highlights:

• Subscriptions and channels: Now you can view and manage your subscriptions (including your subscription to the PlayStation YouTube channel), browse all videos on a specific channel and check out detailed information in the “About this channel” menu option.
  • Improved controls: We’ve added new functions on controls including Next/Previous buttons, a loop video option and the ability to browse videos while another is playing, making it easy to select preferred videos without interrupting playback.
  • Playlist settings: You can now create playlists and add videos to your playlists, including your Favorites or Watch Later lists.
  • Closed captions: Captions help deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers enjoy YouTube videos, and they’re also useful if you forgot your headphones and want to watch videos in a loud (or quiet) setting while on-the-go. Now you can display closed captions when playing videos. Look for the captions icon on the video thumbnail. You can even change the language of captions in the options menu.
  • Continuous playback: In the settings menu, you can now enable continuous playback, so your next video selection will start to play automatically.
  • PS Vita buttons: You now have the option to use the PS Vita buttons to control playback and menus, which can be enabled in the Settings > System menu.
  • Share: Show that you’re tuned in—Tweet, Email or group message your friends the name and URL to the latest video. You can also invite people to check out any channel on YouTube — like the the PlayStation YouTube channel — via group message, so they don’t miss a beat.
  • Improved search: You can now use search filters — sorting by upload date or duration, for example — making it easier than ever to find your favorite videos.

We’re thrilled to deliver updates to some of our most popular apps, furthering our promise to bring you the best portable entertainment experience possible on PS Vita. Which added YouTube features are you most excited about?

113 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ xaos on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Nice, sounds like a solid update, especially happy to see captions available for those who need them.

The first thing I watched on the YouTube app was a Mass Effect 2 video of the climactic space battle. It looked so gorgeous on the OLED screen, it has left me with a hunger for more ME on my Vita ;)

+ GranpireV on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Woot! This is good!

+ Mighty_Paulo on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Very nice.

Updates like these make me really proud of myself for buying me a PS Vita on my birthday, it shows Sony acctually cares about their handheld and it’s costumers. :)

+ starscreamerx31 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Thank god. Guys seriously keep up the good work on these SOLID updates. Not only does it show that you guys do listen but it gets us more features out of our device. Thank you guys again. I luv it

+ Seruh_ on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Ironically I just downloaded the YouTube app earlier this morning. Man was I pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting it to be as close as full version as it was, and the fact that it has HD is Amazing! Maybe we’ll be seeing text chat on Skype soon !? ;p

+ MWorldII on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

Dear Sony, what’s about VK.com app for PS Vita ? It will be really cool.

+ MWorldII on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

This update is really nice, great job!)

+ SK_Ke0n on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Awesome! Can’t wait to update it.

+ Zhi13 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Is the update available? Cant seem to update

+ Viewtiful_Josh on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Feels good to know you guys are improving Vita’s apps. Thank you!

+ MidnightPhenix on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

Thanks for update. Now hurry and add offline ability to google maps = (

+ M000-1313-7 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

Are we going to be able to have it “pair” to the PS3 YouTube app like you can with smartphones?

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

Sounds good. I’d like to see the ability to run the YouTube app without having to quit the game I’m playing. It would be nice if I could switch to a YouTube video walkthrough of the game I’m playing, and then switch back to the game without having to restart it.

+ blokken on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

nice update, especially the subscriptions part.

though i hope that they’d update the browser so it can use vita buttons too.

+ Genexi2 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

What I don’t get is why the Vita’s Youtube app kicks the ever living heck out of the one for PS3.

+ mfoster09 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

glad u guys are improvin things, but the feature most needed for the youtube app, is the ability to load videos shot with the vita straight to youtube.

+ bball230 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

portrait view across all vita apps with portrait keyboard / search typing would be much appreciated!

+ shawtymann on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

Is the update available now?

+ Dr-abdulelah on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

awesome update thanks

+ Ryumoau on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

you guys need to work on the ps3 youtube app next. The sliding search function sucks.

+ gamer_316 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

will we be able to watch Vevo videos?

+ Teflon02 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

THANK YOU!!
You know what I had to do to watch the specific videos I wanted to watch half the time. I had to go on youtube on the vita browser then add a video to my favourites then go on the app to watch cause it doesn’t add new videos to the searchs higher end of the list. And yes all those features and finally you can go on channels and watch a video while searching for others :’) tears of joy!!
Now that the YouTube is only missing Vevo really now. Can you guys make sure these things happen
- Add msging to the Skype app, cause its almost useless without being able to msg your friends.
- The Facebook app has serious issues, and they need to be fixed, I sent the report over 20 times since the last Facebook update in the summer and still nothing fixed, and it needs notifacations directly on the vita
- Release the Crackle app that was promised for a summer release smh as well as the Hulu tho I’m in canada and can’t use it
- And Crunchyroll was said to be released before the year end on PS Vita, The PS3 was on schedule lets hope the Vita one is
Thanks for the great stuff

+ Grimmjow149 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

Ummm how do i update it? Is it already available?

+ Teflon02 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

Ohh one BIG issue with the YouTube app was Memory, I hope it changed to streaming instead of Download, cause I only have a 4GB and also have a Bandwidth limit, so that gets me bad both ways, I don’t have space to watch most videos longer then 15 mins and I can’t watch HD cause of it most times. Then with usage of internet, I always feel like if I’m watching a HD Video I have to watch it all the way cause I just used up so much extra memory unnecessarily. Can we get a option for Load or Streaming so for us with these issues we can stream, I have extremely fast internet so I have no problem streaming

+ Elvick_ on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Hopefully, the PS3 app is next. Needs lots of work.

Being able to pair the Vita and PS3 would be nice for YouTube. Even as like a cross controller or something it would be nice.

+ samv33 on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Does anyone know why I can’t get a single video to play on it? Nothing I do gets one to play. I try to search for anything and I get a message like “no results found.”

+ sagohichi on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

I bought Vita for gaming. Then I’ve realized that I am spending surprising amount of time on YouTube, Netflix, and Facebook. Those dedicated apps are taking full advantages of Vita control scheme and OLED screen. In my opinion, the updated built-in browser learned a lot from them.

+ islankleinknecht on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

I love the Youtube app on the Vita, but why is the Youtube app on the PS3 so terrible?

+ Elvick_ on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

Do you guys work on the twitter app too? Because I would love rear touch scrolling for that app.

+ shrimpdude on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Excellent, this is everything the app needed!

+ shrimpdude on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Now if only the other apps could be updated to open Youtube links via this wonderful app.

+ Busca-Cabezas on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Man!! Gotta love how the PSVita keeps getting better n better!! Keep them great updates coming guys!! Woot! Woot!!!! ^_^

+ RAWBRTzx on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

Good to hear I didn’t know an upgrade was in the works!

+ pOcHo_OX on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

I hope this time this app work, cos i’ve a lot of problems with it… bad luck pocho xD

+ Teflon02 on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

the Update is now UP!!!

+ rospondek on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

And now it is time to connect YT links from Facebook app with YT app.

+ guidoXXL on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:16 pm said:

Any word on an upload feature?

+ ItsNymo on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

Awesome! I always wondered when the YouTube app would have more features, and this is just what I needed!
Also, one suggestion: Any way to make the Vita app a YouTube remote for the PS3 app similar to the YT mobile phone apps?
oh, And one last thing: When can we expect the PS3 YouTube app to support 3D videos?
Thanks!

+ Elvick_ on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

@31: God yes. Would love for youtube links to open the app. At least ask like android.

+ GT_168 on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:27 pm said:

Take that PS3 YouTube app! Vita is my preferred gaming system right now. Keep up the great support.

+ Shadow_Enz on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:27 pm said:

An app update! This comes at quite a pleasant surprise! It’s definitely good to see that apps may not be dismissed and abandoned once released, and in fact supported even after the initial release.

This instills good faith from the users, I definitely support the SCEA resources being used to update and improve popular apps, as well as games.

Thanks for the update!

+ freshprincepbg on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

Very nice!! I just got my Vita last week and was watching Youtube on it yesterday and thought it could’ve used a few improvements.

Now the PS3 youtube app needs to be fixed. Sorry but that app is atrocious.

+ PsychoSploosh69 on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

This sounds like good news. Hopefully now an update is on the way for the ps3.

+ D-Squad3 on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:44 pm said:

Great update! Now fix the freaking PS3 version because the search engine is HORRID!!!

+ Niko_of_Death on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

“Subscriptions and channels: Now you can view and manage your subscriptions (including your subscription to the PlayStation YouTube channel), browse all videos on a specific channel and check out detailed information in the “About this channel” menu option.”
” sorting by upload date”
FINALLY

I’m tired of looking up a show, and having to guess which one is the newest.

+ ImaFREEZEtheRoom on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:55 pm said:

Theres just two things bugging me:
1 You can’t skip a song while listening to music through Music Unlimited if the PSVita is off
2 Messages are recieved every 15 min minimum.

Would be nice if we can press L or R to skip/last songs while using Music Unlimited and the PSVita is off. Also, recieving messages real time would be nice.

+ mystikalguy on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Hopefully an update is on the way for the PS3 version…The search engine needs work & i hope 720p & 1080p options will be available soon.

+ lpemcee21 on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

Subscriptions… FINALLY. Thanks Sony.

+ SPC-AR on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

I was hoping they’d update the YouTube app since the original wasn’t what I was expecting. Very nice update indeed.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:07 pm said:

That’s great and all but:

1) Speaking of Closed Caption, on update 2.0 it said we would be able to use CC on our videos, I don’t see that option when I go to TV shows and movies on the ps store. What gives?
2) Where is the crackle, hulu plus, nfl and other apps that were promised at E3 2012?

PAGE 1 2 3