PS4-The Order

PlayStation Mobile: EcoFish makes a splash tomorrow

Eduardo Jimenez's Avatar + Posted by Eduardo Jimenez on Dec 04, 2012 // Founder, Eclipse Games

Screenshot08

EcoFish is a game I personally wanted to do for a long time. It’s based on games from my childhood – games that I loved but for some reason haven’t been re-done and re-invented a million times already. If you liked old-school platformers you’ll find lots of new games still being made in that genre, but if you look for games like QiX, Styx or Gal’s Panic, you’re not likely to find many.

It wasn’t hard to convince the rest of the team since they played those classics too and loved the ‘genre’ as much as I did!

The core mechanic of the game consists of drawing lines starting from the borders of the playable area enclosing parts of it that are ‘acquired’. If you enclose an enemy within the area you acquire, it is destroyed. We thought this kind of gameplay would fit particularly well on touchscreens and, of course, the PS Vita.

There are different objectives in every level, such as destroying a concrete enemy, eliminating all enemies, acquiring a certain percentage of the screen, and so on. We have deviated there from the original formula, as well as with the enemies.

Screenshot07Screenshot09

We designed a wide variety of enemies and obstacles that have different and unique behaviours. So, for instance, there’s an enemy that moves in pulses (an octopus), or another that stops and explodes if you get too close. There are areas that are impenetrable, that slow you down, or even kill you. In total we have over 10 enemies and areas that allow us to provide a lot of variety in the gameplay.

Having all these options allowed us to design a wide variety of levels. We have 90 different levels in total, and 60 of them can be played both in the standard game mode or as a time trial.

We also developed a story for the game. We had the sub-aquatic theme already in our minds, but needed something else. Then somebody thought it would be cool if the main character – the ‘hero’ – was a cleaning fish, someone that would normally take care of leaving the ocean clean and beautiful, just as you see in National Geographic documentaries. There’s been an oil so our hero has to clean the ocean and try to restore peace and harmony.

Screenshot02

All in all, I’d say we managed to develop a product that recovers the essence of the old games it’s inspired by, but evolves it and brings new ideas to the table too. What’s more, we tried to create a pleasing visual and audio environment and an ecologically-themed story that’s a good fit for the crazy and funny characters that populate this world.

I hope you all enjoy it!

15 Comments

+ D-Squad3 on December 4th, 2012 at 6:49 am said:

Cool

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on December 4th, 2012 at 6:54 am said:

Where’s the trophy support for psm games, Sony?

+ WorcesterRaider on December 4th, 2012 at 7:01 am said:

Game looks really cool. I like the art style and these kinds of games! Will there be any online leaderboards? I know trophies is something Sony needs to do so I won’t bug you about it.

Any idea on price as well?

+ Cidastor on December 4th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

Don’t have a vita yet do the mobile games release on Wednesday or something?

+ Elvick_ on December 4th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

Did you support native resolutions for each device? Or does it scale?

@4 Tuesdays. Maybe this was meant to go up yesterday

+ sagohichi on December 4th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

Without doubt, Trophy support is the most important feature for PSM to break the barrier. PSM will not get any success in the casual market without obtaining a solid support from existing PS3/VIta customers, because essentially identical services already exist in any mobile devices.
I am seriously puzzled by Sony’s strategy on PSM. You have to give a reason to pickup PSM games over iTunes or Google Play. That is Trophy. PS3 market maybe too small for PSM, but you have to start from it. PS3/Vita customers are people that Sony can give one solid reason to buy mobile games from PSM instead of cheaper and bigger pre-existing game stores.

+ PayneKiller1509 on December 4th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

Why were the few PS1 classics removed from the PSM catalog tho?

+ GhostMachine1 on December 4th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

I used to play Gals Panic for hours at my local arcade! There is no doubt in my mind that I am buying this game. You guys should buy the rights to GP and release it on the vita. ;)

+ ManjoumeThunder on December 4th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

When will it be on the phone version of PSM? I haven’t seen it yet.

+ kassatsu on December 4th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

@Cidastor The PSM store updates pretty much at 6pm Pacific on Tuesdays. They seem to keep a strict time unlike the PSN store.

+ Elvick_ on December 4th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

@6: Playing on Vita is enough for me.

And Cross Saves is far more important than trophies. We get games for our Vita, tablet and/or phones, but can’t even resume progress between devices. Why make the purchase that applies to multiple devices, when you can’t get any benefit to using the game on multiple devices?

+ plaztiksyke on December 4th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

I also loved Qix and really liked Cubixx on PS3 (and now on PSM). I’m excited to try it!

Who did the music? Are the audio assets encoded with at least 256kbit/sec? (Audio quality is a big determining factor if I pay more than $2 for a PSM/mini/casual game.)

+ Elvick_ on December 4th, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

Really liking this game. Plays great on my Sony Tablet S.

+ aqeeliz on December 4th, 2012 at 11:02 pm said:

That looks really cute, I was looking for something similar for my mobile a few days back. Now only if I had a Vita…

+ GhostMachine1 on December 5th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

I just bought this game!