PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable Invades PS Vita January 8th

Miki Takahashi's Avatar + Posted by Miki Takahashi on Dec 20, 2012 // Assistant Producer, D3Publisher

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable on PS Vita

EDF! EDF! EDF! We are excited to share the news today that Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable will be available as a digital download on PlayStation Vita at the beginning of the year. The game will be available on January 8th, 2013 in North America for $39.99 and players will get to experience all the intense action that the Earth Defense Force can endure.

What is really cool is that Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable is completely remastered from the original classic shooter (Earth Defense Force 2017) and with so many extras, players will truly get a new EDF experience that wasn’t possible before. Players will get to check out seven new levels plus dive into all the action with fan favorite Pale Wing, giving players the power to soar high over buildings in her jet pack and cause massive destruction from above.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable on PS VitaEarth Defense Force 2017 Portable on PS Vita

You will also find some new enemies in the game, and blast them to smithereens with your choice of more than 230 weapons, including many new ones. For the first time, save the world with your friends in online multiplayer for up to four players in co-op and versus mode.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences with Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable and hope that you can save mankind from this insect infestation starting on January 8th! Good luck!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Gorvi on December 20th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

This looks like a ton of fun. Will there be a demo?

+ Wario64 on December 20th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

Will there be a retail release in North America?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

+ poodude on December 20th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

I love Earth Defense Force, but I was really hoping for a retail release. Might end up waiting for a price drop if it’s download only.

+ kingbet123 on December 20th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

Looking forward to it!!!

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

We can’t wait too! Playing with our friends in multiplayer is really going to be fun to experience in co-op and versus mode against all those pesky insects!

+ Neil on December 20th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

I already pre-ordered this from Newegg.com as a gift for a friend. Is this game digital only now?

+ iriihutoR84 on December 20th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

Retail release, please. ♥

+ But_Honestly on December 20th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

EDF! EDF! Insect Armageddon was fun, but I’m really happy to have all the schlocky goodness of the original on a Sony platform. I think it will be a really good fit for Vita as well.

+ BlindsideDork on December 20th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

It almost reads as if the game comes out digitally on January 1 but retail stores January 8. I am sure that is just bad wording though…right?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

Game is coming out on January 8th.

+ Wintermute9001 on December 20th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

This game is pretty much the only reason I have been holding on to that other console. Now getting an enhanced portable version? January 8th cannot come soon enough!

+ otic101 on December 20th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

Pretty good looking game and a good way to start the year off for the PS Vita

+ JumpMan33 on December 20th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

I also preordered the game on newegg, is it only for PSN download now?

+ RidleysBox on December 20th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

*sigh* another digital only title for NA … guess I will be importing this.

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 1:30 pm said:

Game will also be coming to Europe and you can play MP with Europe and North America together.

+ tusunami on December 20th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

It’s great to see more PS Vita titles coming out, keep em coming!!!!!!!!!!!

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 6:22 pm said:

EDF! EDF! EDF!

+ xKOROSHIYAx on December 20th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

It’s kind of disappointing to see this going digital only, especially when you showed a picture and a full boxed retail copy in your last post about the game here on the PS Blog. I had it preordered on Amazon, but they canceled my order last week. Is there any specific reason you guys changed to digital only? Regardless, I still thank you for bringing this over to NA and I will enjoy the game.

+ MushThePainter on December 20th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Digital only huh? Hopefully I get the 32gb card I’ve been asking for for Christmas..

+ dallow on December 20th, 2012 at 12:23 pm said:

My physical copy was cancelled.

Sorry, I won’t buy this as digital only for the full $39.99 price tag.
Was really looking forward to EDF action too…. :(

+ JKar275 on December 20th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

I’m interested in this game but if there’s no demo – then I definitely won’t buy it. It’s very important to release a demo so that we can decide if a game is worth our time & money.

+ cool_trainer on December 20th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

Retail or not this looks cool and I’m looking forward to it.

+ jimmyfoxhound on December 20th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

I’m going to pick it up anyway but I do wish we had a retail option, even if it was a small limited run. There are a few games I really love that I want to keep on my shelf and this was one of them.. :(

+ Kithkarnon on December 20th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

Full price for digital plus the $3.13 per GB of usage on my 32GB – turns my interest from yay, to eh.

+ Grawbad on December 20th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

I am a game collector. I buy physical copies of games. Sure for the psn stuff and arcade type stuff, I get the reason for no physical product. But when a full game goes digital only it pains me so.
One day I won’t be able to walk into a store and buy games in a box. I guess some people want it this way, but I really don’t. Alas, can’t stop the future from happening, just wanted to share that after seeing this happen.

+ kivi95 on December 20th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

If you are going to do a digital only release atleast make sure the game is cheaper then normal. It should have been $29.99 really.

+ kivi95 on December 20th, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

I mean you just doomed this game right now.

+ reson8er on December 20th, 2012 at 1:04 pm said:

Firstly I would like to say thank you for bringing this to the US.

Secondly I would like to say that I feel the price is a bit high for this game. Unless the series has done rebooted and is now aiming for “AAA” quality, the EDF series has always been a budget title. $40 is a budget price for a full PS3 game, NOT a Vita game.

I mean no disrespect as I said I am glad this is coming to the US at all, its just feel odd seeing the cost of the game being in line with AAA title.

+ aihuman on December 20th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

Although I’m glad that’s it coming out sooner but why digital only?Is this Namco’s doing?Maybe get a different publisher next time. Namco hasn’t even released Pac-Man CE and DX on Vita for crying out loud.That should tell you where their prioritizes are.

+ Christian399 on December 20th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

Digital only is fine. In fact, if that makes the publishing process less risky, since D3 is a NAMCO subsidiary, why don’t they bring over some GAMES THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT. You know, TALES games. There’s one out on the Vita already and another one in the works. I’ve never seen Japanese publishers so freakin’ sky about promoting their TOP TIER IPs in the West. Newsflash, these games fail here because by the time you release them, no one cares anymore. Stop being shy and jump in the pool.

I have no interest in this game, but I’ll buy it to encourage more Japanese support in the West.

+ dallow on December 20th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

Why is this game $39.99 when:

1) You’re now saving significantly since Vita cart production is not needed anymore
2) Most localization/translation was completed and copied from the original 360 version 5 years ago.

At least tell me NA/EU players can play with JPN/HK versions of the game…

+ Major_Hoare on December 20th, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

How big is the download going to be?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 6:15 pm said:

It will be slightly over 600 MB for download.

+ whatisdelicious on December 20th, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

Seems a bit pricey for a remastered old game on a handheld, no less, but I really liked Insect Armageddon, so I’ll probably get it when it goes on sale or something.

+ dallow on December 20th, 2012 at 1:40 pm said:

@Major_Hoare

It’s around 500mb, so at least it isn’t huge.

+ mremerson on December 20th, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

Guys @14, @25, @27, @29 don’t wast your time. PS Blog don’t anwser comments like that. They only reply comments with

OMG I CAN’T WAIT
THIS A MUST BUY

=/

+ jaffa_cake_king on December 20th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

Is this coming to the UK? If so will it be the same date? I was going to import a physical copy but i guess i’m screwed with that now! This game was the only reason i bought a Vita so i’m not going to be a happy bunny if i can’t play it on my UK account!

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 6:15 pm said:

The game will be available in the UK, from Namco Bandai.

+ TwinDad on December 20th, 2012 at 2:29 pm said:

Obviously paying less is better, but I don’t mind on select games paying the same as a physical copy. Having said that one of the first thoughts I have is does this game fit on the terrible 4gb card that Sony gives. So it seems it will. Great.

@Sony

Until your quit the lunacy pricing on a memory card I refuse to buy another card. I just bought a class 10 card for my 3DSXL for $10, your class 4 card is $47. I’m not alone you need to find a way to reduce the prices on these cards.

+ benhofb on December 20th, 2012 at 2:35 pm said:

Well that is stupid. I would be willing to fork over $39.99 for a full retail edition of EDF 2017 Portable, but now that it is all digital I am not interested. Anyone else remember the same exact PR person showing off localized box art awhile back? Meh. Quit teasing us. Dem Vita GBs are a pretty penny, you know.

+ jaffa_cake_king on December 20th, 2012 at 2:55 pm said:

Also, why don’t you release this for the PS3? Infact rerelase it for the Xbox 360 as well, i’d buy all of them!

+ EmperorKorea on December 20th, 2012 at 3:14 pm said:

physical release or no buy

+ Blade-Runner-IV on December 20th, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

What is the release date for Europe and will there be a physical release?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

Game is coming to Europe on January 16th.

+ Alias03 on December 20th, 2012 at 3:41 pm said:

39.99 is too expensive. Would have probably tried it for 19.99. Lets be honest this is pretty much a port of a budget title.

+ Jobocan on December 20th, 2012 at 3:43 pm said:

“Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable is a digital download only title and will be available for purchase on January 8th.”

Well, you’ve lost my money, good job.

I’ll just get the xbox 360 version, as a physical copy, for, like, 20$. Or just skip 2017 and get 2025.

+ SamuelSpade on December 20th, 2012 at 3:48 pm said:

I imported the Japanese version and I love it!! But…..I also agree that $39.99 is to much for a digital only release.

+ pluto-3_ on December 20th, 2012 at 3:58 pm said:

What is the estimated European release date?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

+ Miki Takahashi on December 20th, 2012 at 6:22 pm said:

Game is coming to Europe January 16th.

+ stinkaypewps on December 20th, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

I was really looking forward to this game, but no retail release is a deal breaker for me.

+ GENETICIDE on December 20th, 2012 at 4:26 pm said:

Another great game nobody will play because of digital only release. Good job guys. No physical, no buy.

+ Ryumoau on December 20th, 2012 at 4:37 pm said:

lol at all the dinosaurs who still can’t except that digital only will eventually be the future.

I’m really happy to see this step. It saves the Publishers money. Though i am abit surprised that you are still charging $40. It would seem more reasonable to go with a $20-30 price tag since you don’t have to deal with the costs of retail packaging in NA. :/

+ Ryumoau on December 20th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

@26 i’m actually hoping Tales of Xilia gets a day 1 psn digital launch. I have a 500 GB harddrive and would love to play it from there anytime i wanted. As long as they priced it reasonably ($40).

+ BattleSuit_Jill on December 20th, 2012 at 4:53 pm said:

where is the Resident Evil 6 , Stage map pack A ? , i can’t found it in the playstation store :`(

+ UnleashedMonkey on December 20th, 2012 at 5:00 pm said:

40 dollars for digital only? no thanks

+ Kaddyshacks on December 20th, 2012 at 5:27 pm said:

I was going to get this when I saw the initial post about it. Even saw the boxart and was like ‘sweet it’s coming to retail, and has nice boxart to boot’. Then you guys say it’s digital only for full retail price…no way. You lost a sale here.

+ Kaddyshacks on December 20th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

Ha! It’s even for pre-order sale on Newegg at $29.99 for a retail edition…what’s going on here D3?

+ GhostMachine1 on December 20th, 2012 at 5:36 pm said:

You people actually buy physical copies of vita games? Get a 32gb memory card so you won’t have to waste space lugging games around. I’ll wait for reviews before I decide to get this.

PAGE 1 2 3