Uncharted 4

Introducing EPIX For PS3 and PS Vita: Movies, Concerts, Sports and More

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar + Posted by Phil Rosenberg on Jan 03, 2013 // Senior Vice President, Business Development, SCEA

EPIX

At PlayStation, we’re always looking for new opportunities to give our fans the best entertainment options on our devices. Today we’re proud to share that EPIX, the premium entertainment network, will bring its library of more than 3,000 new release and classic feature films, world-class concerts, comedy specials, sports, and other original programming to PS3 and PS Vita owners across the U.S. this year.

In case you’re not familiar, EPIX is currently available through cable, satellite, and telco TV providers, online, and via other devices. The application will be free to download on PSN, and EPIX subscribers will be able to instantly stream a broad range of movies and entertainment content, including many new and popular releases like Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, The Hunger Games, Thor, and much more.

The EPIX app for PS3 will launch this quarter, with the app for PS Vita to follow later in the spring. Look for more news about EPIX here on the PlayStation.Blog as we get closer to launch!

75 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Lukather77 on January 3rd, 2013 at 5:46 am said:

USA only as usual, I suppose.

+ eafro on January 3rd, 2013 at 5:50 am said:

This is cool and appreciated. But the majority of people still want HBOGO and Showtime Anytime. Please make this happen. Thanks.

+ BAEZE_L on January 3rd, 2013 at 5:53 am said:

Is EPIX Going To Be Available In Canada? Because Let ME Tell You, Netflix Ain’t So Great Up Here And It Would Be Real Cool If Canadaians Could Use A Netflix Alternative Like EPIX To Watch On The PS Vita.

+ DeathGazer on January 3rd, 2013 at 5:55 am said:

Cool.

Are we ever getting HBO GO?

+ SlyCooperFan100 on January 3rd, 2013 at 5:58 am said:

@1 @3 Sorry, but it says “to PS3 and PS Vita owners across the U.S. this year.” No support for EPIX outside the U.S., it seems. :/

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on January 3rd, 2013 at 5:59 am said:

Another slow-bleed-you-dry rental service for suckers, eh?

+ Kaiser_ on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:02 am said:

I’m guessing the only way I can EPIX subscriber is through ordering it through my cable provider right?

+ lele1620 on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:04 am said:

why dose it take Sony so long to add service this is your weakest point on the PS3 where is HBOGO,ShowTime and starzs, VidZone, i would love to see a dedicated PBS app,
where’s the music app’s Spotify,Pandora, groveshark, soundcloud, Last Fm
and i think you should give the non PS+ member the 150 MB that as changed to 1 GB

+ MaxxAmmo on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:08 am said:

EPIX needs to get forward thinking and make this a ‘stand-alone’ streaming service.

As of right now you have to verify you are paying for EPIX thru satellite or cable subscription service and then you can stream EPIX. Why bother, when you can turn on your sat. or cable box?

Need more products for cord-cutters, right now Crackle, Netflix & Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime have the right idea!!

Cut the cord people and save yourself more ca$h for gaming!!

+ Suby_Greg on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:12 am said:

Cool. I will use this. Can’t wait. Thanks Playstation :)

+ Rallerj on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:17 am said:

USA only as usual

+ Morac_ on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:17 am said:

Comcast subscribers need not apply as they can’t get EPIX (Comcast refuses to get the EPIX channel).

+ Stoffinator on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

Yaaay another service for one region and something you have to pay for. Getting a little crowded on the XMB there.

+ BrianMcGuinness on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:35 am said:

@13 – You actually don’t have to pay for anything if you don’t want to. They aren’t making you. Grow up.

+ ptuck874 on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:37 am said:

for those that do not already have a Roku, etc. that already streams Epix, this is a great thing, though people might complain a little, if you have seen the amount of movies and stuff on there, you would be shocked, there is a TON of content that doesn’t come on the main Epix channels. Much better than HBOGO (though their series makes up for it big time) or Showtime Anytime which really isn’t that big of a deal at all :(

+ Glainskurt on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

Looks good. But, what about the ps owners outside usa. We have paid too for the console.

+ Bassistk on January 3rd, 2013 at 6:43 am said:

People that are getting upset that this service isn’t available outside the US need to realize that this is an app for a 3rd party service. If Epix decided that they only want to offer the service in the US (as they have been), Sony cannot force them to make this change. Different regions will always have different services available to them. The same companies do not exist everywhere in the world.

If you look on their website you will find this in their FAQs:

“I don’t live in the USA… Can I still enjoy EPIX?
Not quite yet, but we’re working on it! “

+ snakeeyes211 on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

HBO GO plz

+ Simcoe on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:20 am said:

@17 I think we understand that, but why is Sony only successful in partnering with services that only have offerings in the US? Or why not offer services that are exclusive to Canadians (ie. CBC, TSN, Cineplex, NFB), some of these services are already offered on smart tv’s in Canada. If Sony is trying that’s great, but a line like “we’re working on it” doesn’t convey how hard they really are trying. “We’re working on it” could me some junior employee’s intern once put in a call to the receptionist at CBC and left a message.

+ snakeeyes211 on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:21 am said:

I still want HBOGO and Showtime Anytime. Please make this happen. Thanks.

+ Pikachupalo on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:22 am said:

EPIX Sucks… NETFLIX rulz jajajaja

+ beastbarbour on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

Whatever happened to the app for the ps blog that was supposed to come to the phones?

+ Bassistk on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

@19 The statement “Not quite yet, but we’re working on it! “ is from Epix not Sony.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:33 am said:

@Phil Rosenberg

Why should I believe you?

This statment was made around E3 2012.

“To further cement that point, Sony Computer Entertainment America chief Jack Tretton just revealed that Hulu Plus and Crackle streaming video apps will soon find their way to the PS Vita.”

I’ll believe it when I see it.

+ SCoopat on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:37 am said:

HBO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch ESPN !!!!

SPOTIFY !!!!!

+ zombie9 on January 3rd, 2013 at 7:57 am said:

EPIX never heard of them. just saying and I’m still not buying a VITA???

+ QRY7854 on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:09 am said:

How about making my mtv shows ideas that I’ve posted on the playstation.blog.share.com finally come to llife plus the others.

+ cwsluke on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

All these negative and complaining posts about how it’s not in our country or we didn’t want that, we wanted this, are making me sad and mad. They continue to try and add services some people are interested in and all you guys do is whine that it’s not a different service, or if it’s not in your country you complain. Well even if it was in your country you would be whining about it not being the right service, just like everyone in the USA.

Anyway I for one give this a thumbs up, like, one plus and tweet because anything new is good for everyone, not just the people that use it. In fact the reason I re-subscribed to Netflix was because I got a Vita, and I held off on buying a Vita until October because I thought I had way too many games on PS3 and my PSP already. Well I was right but once I got my new Vita I learned that I don’t just have to use it for games, but anything I want too. Watching Netflix in bed with my PSP was always a dream, and now I could finally do it!

+ cwsluke on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:30 am said:

Anyways, Phil don’t be discouraged by all the bad posts, that’s all everyone’s raised to do in America is argue and complain for what they want (except some people). It’s sad too because we live so much better lives then almost every other country, yet few truly appreciate it and enjoy it without bickering.

+ Herfderf on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:33 am said:

I think a TwitchTV app would be awesome.

+ FeistFan on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:37 am said:

@17 & @27 – good points, that it’s not Sony’s fault that this is a US-only service. Chances are, it’s not even Epic’s fault. Networks like that pay a license fee to the studios for the movies they carry, and the license is probably specific to the US and doesn’t cover Canada, Mexico, or other regions.

To provide their service to more countries, they’ll need to negotiate higher fees, which they’ll need to pass on to subscribers somehow – something that’s a challenge when you’re just starting to reach into a new region and don’t yet have a customer base there. If another competitor has previously negotiated an exclusive license with a studio, then it’s suddenly impossible, or at least much more difficult, to expand.

Ultimately, it goes back to the people making the movies wanting to be paid for them (crazy, right?!). One way or another, that has to trickle down to us, in a way that doesn’t bankrupt the companies in between. Under the best of circumstances, it still takes time.

+ sebi1920 on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:58 am said:

bknbknbknbkn se viene buenisimo el servicio

+ thebgj on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:19 am said:

So just to make sure im understanding this correctly

You need to have cable service to subscribe???

I have a home made HD antenna, i dont pay for cable. I subscribe to netflix and HULU.

+ gekko1986 on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:21 am said:

HBO GO and ESPN please.

+ EFUS09 on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

where is the crunchyroll app for ps vita?

+ GhostMachine1 on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

How much does epix cost? Is it as affordable as Netflix?

+ DrPhiill on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

I read this and i think YES! what a great app to join the Ps3 family!
But then i see the sad part, US Only.
Dear Sony/Playstion, let us here in the EU enjoy great things aswell, i understand that its a hassle to get all the countries to agree with what you want, but please please let us get some of the cake aswell!

+ XFRod on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:53 am said:

EU users complaining about something being US region only? Really!? You want to compare the games you get on PS+?

+ sagohichi on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

I really, from the bottom of my heart, HATE those cable company’s streaming services. All of them!
They cannot force us to the old CATV business forever. Think about why we can’t buy HBO, EPIX or whatever premium channels without having CATV contract.

My top 2013 tech wish is death of CATV providers. They are the biggest obstacle for living room revolution we have been waiting for a long time.

+ SalMoriarty on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

One thing to remember, all most all of the movie content will end up on Amazon Prime and Netflix (until the contract expires) eventually.

+ Teflon02 on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

So PS Vita was suppose to get Crackle by the end of the Summer and Crunchroll by the years end. Nobody says anything about them, but we get this thing I never even heard of… Ohh wait cause it isn’t in Canada smh. If something US only is going to be released atleast HULU then..

+ bigsgg71 on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

I agree with @24. I am still wating for hulu plus and crunchyroll for my ps vita! Come on Sony…at least give us an update on those apps!

+ snakeeyes211 on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

I still want HBO GO and Showtime Anytime. Please make this happen. Thanks.

+ mainkster on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

free to download then you gotta pay ?

+ Satnamji on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

@33 & 36: What #40 says is true. If you already sub to Netflix streaming, you are getting the majority of the content available on Epix, including the newer movie releases.

+ andrew6barnett on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:07 am said:

Epix? Never heard of it why dont you put the hulu plus app on the vita???? They said it would be sometime before the end of the year(2012) now its 2013! Give us some good apps on the vita like vudu crackle hbo go and amazon most of us could care less about this “Epix”

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:17 am said:

If you’ve got one “new movie” streaming service, you’ve really got them all, already. All EPIX is, is basically a cable new movie aggregator. So, for those who already subscribe to this US-only cable channel service, they are creating a US-only app to stream that content to your PS3. Why are other countries complaining about not getting this app? Even if you did get it, you wouldn’t be able to use it! You have to have an EPIX subscription! Geez, some people… how about you guys learn reading comprehension before you complain about stuff that LITERALLY doesn’t have anything to do with you, from start to finish. This is simply another way for people to access content with their PS3 that they already have access to with other devices. You people in other countries don’t have access to this content now, on a SUBSCRIPTION BASIS, so guess what? You still won’t have access to it. Nothing has changed. You have not been left out.

+ shb23 on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

@19 Simcoe

Well, in their defense they are called “SCEA”, with that A standing for us Amerifats. I agree with you though, I would LOVE to be able to stream CBC thru my ps3 & Vita, if they ever play hockey again, I’d love to watch the Leafs try (and fail) to make the playoffs on my consoles.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

If this serves people in the US justice, cool fine fantastic… But as they stated before PS3 is the number one GAMING CONSOLE for streaming entertainment as in more people use it for streaming. So what’s the point of this to add on to that? Shouldn’t Sony be more focused on the GAMING PART, no wonder why 360 is beating us. C’mon Sony focus on the gaming.

+ BoNeSaW23 on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:42 am said: