PS4-The Order

Velocity Getting Remade for PS Vita as Velocity Ultra

James Marsden's Avatar + Posted by James Marsden on Jan 11, 2013 // Managing Director, FuturLab

Velocity Ultra on PS Vita

Hello again! It feels great to be back on PS.Blog — especially now that we’re able to reveal a project that so many people have asked for: a native PS Vita version of our multiple award-winning PS minis game Velocity!

It’s called Velocity Ultra, and it features Trophies, online high scores and a completely overhauled visual style at native PS Vita resolution. We’re reworking all the art in the game, so the cut scene stills have been recreated at a much higher standard than before.

Velocity Ultra on PS Vita
Velocity Ultra on PS Vita

We’re also unifying the art style throughout the game by ditching pixel art in favor of the edgy cartoon style.

Velocity Ultra on PS Vita

The dinky (and rather pathetic) Quarp Jet now looks less dinky (and rather bad-ass)…

Velocity Ultra on PS Vita

We’re also adding lots of visual effects. Here’s what Velocity Ultra looks like at the moment. Note that the graphics look considerably cleaner when running live on PS Vita’s screen.

Velocity Ultra on PS Vita
Velocity Ultra on PS Vita

The dark shading at each side of the screen focuses the action whilst explosions illuminate the environment to create a more dramatic experience. The PS Vita is a lot more powerful than the PSP, so we’re able to add these lighting effects whilst still running at a solid 60FPS – just like the original!

You can think of Velocity Ultra as the director’s cut; everything we would have done the first time around if we’d had the budget. Our goal now is to create a perfectly formed piece of interactive art that will do your shiny PS Vita justice!

We don’t have a solid release date yet, but we’re on track to submit to Sony at the beginning of April, so we are guesstimating a release date in May. We are extremely excited!

We know that some of you might be a little disappointed, because you were expecting to see a sequel, not an HD rework. Well, don’t be too sad…

Velocity Ultra is a way for us to establish the Velocity franchise for a wider audience, and we’ve got plenty more Velocity in the works.

In fact, we’ve just published a Velocity Sequel Questionnaire to find out what you want to see in a sequel. If you fill it out, you could win a copy of Velocity Ultra!

If you’d like more information more frequently, just subscribe to our website and you’ll never miss an update! We hope you like the look of Velocity Ultra, and we can’t wait to put it in your hands!

PAGE 1 2

+ Christos-34 on January 11th, 2013 at 8:02 am said:

HNNNGGGGG!!!!

+ ro-kurorai on January 11th, 2013 at 8:02 am said:

Thank you so much! Velocity deserves it, Futurelab are too awesome a developer to stay on minis =)

+ Torgo on January 11th, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

Exciting! Looks great!

+ ItsNymo on January 11th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

I’ve been refreshing all morning, and I’m glad for what I’m seeing! The visual upgrade looks great & can’t wait to see even more Velocity in the future!

Also: The questionare link isn’t working :(

+ James Marsden on January 11th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

Thanks folks! Can’t wait for you to see all the lovely visuals effects we’ve added! :D

+ AltairBioshokero on January 11th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

Cool story bro… how about a new GOD OF WAR game for the vita?

+ Isamito on January 11th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

great news

+ Gorvi on January 11th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Awesome, awesome news guys. Velocity was a fantastic game, it makes me very happy to see this so that maybe it gets the recognition it deserves.

+ ro-kurorai on January 11th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

Hi James. I am so happy for you guys to be able to finally deliver your intended vision for Velocity without any hardware limitations. Velocity is bloody brilliant and you guys are way too awesome a developer to be restricted to the minis platform. I’m incredibly excited and Velocity is a definite d1p for me. Thank you and thanks to Sony for supporting your vision.

+ DarthDanMan on January 11th, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

Will we be able to teleport using the touchscreen?

+ James Marsden on January 11th, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

We’re looking into this. If it works well, we’ll use it for sure. Velocity is fast paced, so forcing players to move their hands from the buttons to the screen quickly will ultimately suck.

But it might be useful for the odd dash when you want to teleport somewhere tricky to get to quickly.

We’ll experiment!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on January 11th, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

Thank you guys for giving the VITA some love.

When can we expect an update on what the price will be?

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

Hiya!

Sorry for the delay in replying. How much do you want to pay for it?

James

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on January 11th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

This is good news, thanks! I definitely enjoyed Velocity as a free PS+ Mini.

+ remanutd5 on January 11th, 2013 at 8:27 am said:

is this a playstation mobile game?

+ James Marsden on January 11th, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

This is a full PlayStation Vita title with trophies, leaderboards, HD graphics and lots of fun :)

+ bstie1198 on January 11th, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

Velocity was my favorite game of 2012. Super excited to play through it again.

+ Falaut on January 11th, 2013 at 8:31 am said:

I actually was hoping that you’d stay with the original hard lines. The new levels seem a bit rounded. meh…still getting it :)

And as great as that one track was, hopefully there is more music. If not, there’s always the custom playlist.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on January 11th, 2013 at 8:36 am said:

Also, will Velocity engage with some of the functions the Vita can do?

+ Robbie_G_lrish on January 11th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

I’m psyched for this. You guys are really one of the up and coming developers. I think you chose the right platform too.

+ Welmosca on January 11th, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

Oh great news…Velocity is one of the best minis I’ve played in a long time also the soundtrack is amazing…fantastic game and loads of fun.I would love to play on Vita and the changes looks good.

+ James Marsden on January 11th, 2013 at 8:53 am said:

Thank you very much!

+ poodude on January 11th, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

Well this is absolutely wonderful news to wake up to. Greatly looking forward to Ultra and any other Velocity projects :D.

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

Fanx!

+ sagohichi on January 11th, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

This game was the reason I have been asking Trophy support for minis.
I believe many minis games should get out of the limitations and appeal to wider PSN user base. I feel the same way to PSM games. Why can’t they have Trophy and online ranking?

+ MrBendel on January 11th, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

This looks awesome! I never picked up the mini, but I’ll definitely be checking this out :)

+ Dubloon7 on January 11th, 2013 at 9:00 am said:

I just completed the questionnare for a free copy of Ultra :) but am confused. You ask a question about playing this on the PSN Mobile, PS Vita, AND PS3.

Isn’t this strictly for the VIta? If so, why ask the question about playing this Ultra version on different systems?

Will there be a function to disable to touch capabilities?

I never played the original mini, but this update looks like a welcome suprise. I’m looking forward to it, but are there any videos to go along with the gameplay style?

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Hiya!

The question was about playing the original minis game on PS3, PSP or PS Vita :)

If you completed the questionnaire you’ll be notified when there is a trailer :)

James

+ Kaddyshacks on January 11th, 2013 at 9:02 am said:

Wow, was NOT expecting a complete overhaul. Looks really great. Two questions/concerns:

1) Will there be a legacy mode or something where we can play the original pixel art version? Or possibly the original version will come to PS Mobile?

2) Please don’t change the music – it’s perfect as it is!

+ James Marsden on January 11th, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

1) We’ll look into it.

2) We’re not, don’t worry. We won’t fix what ain’t broke ;)

+ Pikmologist on January 11th, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

The Vita is the first PlayStation handheld I’ve ever owned, so I don’t know about this game. I’ll keep my eye on it, though.

+ JamesBlonde777 on January 11th, 2013 at 9:19 am said:

Let me just say that I would never have played Velocity if it was not free for PS+ a while back, but I am so thankful I did because it is absolutely fantastic.

If you want some unsolicited advice, I would continue to work the PS+ angle for the Ultra Edition. I will certainly buy it either way, but Plus will help expose it to people who would not otherwise try it!

+ shb23 on January 11th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

I have never played the original, unsure if I even had heard of it before, but I will be a day 1 purchase of this remake.
I really like how James came here and talked to us in plain English and engaged with the audience, I will put my money on cool people doing fun stuff.

+ James Marsden on January 11th, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

Awesomeness :)

+ AgentX on January 11th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

This is great news, James! I love the original Velocity, and I look forward to getting my hands on this new game as well.

+ Loggernaut on January 11th, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

Good news!, found out about the original a week ago and was planning to get it, but now I’ll get this version instead when it comes out.

+ Joe-TFW on January 11th, 2013 at 10:00 am said:

Looking really great. As a new Vita owner, I’m super excited to see this. The art looks fantastic.

+ Aces73High on January 11th, 2013 at 10:04 am said:

WOWSER!!!

As a huge shmup-aholic who got a lot of mileage out of Velocity in it’s Minis form, I always felt a nagging tinge of disappointment that – as a game built for last-gen hardware – it’s lo-def presentation prevented it from scaling the lofty heights of indie folklore that it’s wonderfully deep gameplay so richly deserved. So to learn of Velocity’s HD debut on Vita in Velocity Ultra form is very, very exciting.

I must admit to feeling the slightest pang of sadness to learn that the old skool pixel art is going, but the before and after screenshots wonderfully demonstrate the Vita’s ultra-crisp HD clout, and I trust FuturLab’s judgement. Besides, I’ve always had a weakness for cel shading and cartoon-style graphics

They say that all good things come to those who wait, and you know what? I reckon they’re exactly right.

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Thanks for your trust, we’ll continue to work hard to maintain it!

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 11th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

Like a few others have said, I got the Minis version of this free with PS+, but I never actually got around to playing it. Maybe I should do that now. This HD upgrade looks amazing, and I’ll definitely be purchasing it. Looking forward to Spring now. :)

+ RDespair on January 11th, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

Any new levels?

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

No new levels are planned in this version – it’s the same game but ultrafied :p

+ R-O-Ofaliss on January 11th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

@ AltairBioshokero

Don’t be an A hole.

Awesome news. I can’t wait to get my hands on this. I hope we get to see those Kai Tana two-piece pics in this version!

+ TheTwelve on January 11th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

YOU CAN CONSIDER THIS GAME BOUGHT BY ME ASAP — 12

+ NoAssociation on January 11th, 2013 at 11:02 am said:

Yes! This will be a day one purchase for me. I also can’t wait to see what Futurlab has in store for us next. Keep up the wonderfully unique work. That’s what I look for, not sequel #5.

+ Ricen-Beans on January 11th, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

This will be a day one for me no doubt, since I love the original….

but i do have one question James:

Will this have a platinum trophy??????
(only one correct answer….)

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

We’re trying our luck, but I sincerely doubt it… :(

+ whatisdelicious on January 11th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

I couldn’t help but read a lot of the descriptions in Patrick Bateman’s voice.

+ FORMIK on January 11th, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

Excellent news about a great game. I look forward to it!

+ viceforce on January 11th, 2013 at 1:02 pm said:

How about Age of Zombies and Field Runners rebuilt for Vita. Those are some Good Minis

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on January 11th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

It’s cool to see some developpers supporting (and believing) in the VITA platform. Played the original MINI and the gameplay impressed me very much. Very original. Me like. :)

So it’s good news to learn that a VITA remake is in the works! The VITA is a fantastic platform for “real” gaming on the go. I mean, a tablet is nice (have one) but it can’t compete with a proper console like the VITA as far as gaming is concened. Virtual gamepads and buttons will NEVER be able to compete with a proper, real gamepad and physical buttons.

Nice work guys! Will buy this when it’s out for sure! :)

+ Squiggle55 on January 11th, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

This sounds great. I like what you said in one of your replies about looking into using the touchscreen to teleport. I think it might work well to have both traditional and touchscreen teleporting as options on the occasion that a touchscreen teleport across the screen to a small area might come in handy. Looking forward to it!

+ Wozman23 on January 11th, 2013 at 1:17 pm said:

As great as the mini was, the pixel art visuals were holding it back. These new screens and the added effects make everything look amazing!

I assume I’m in the minority, but I’d appreciate PS3 compatibility if possible. As a person who does all his gaming on a home console, I’d have never experienced Velocity had it been limited to portable consoles.

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

We hear you. Fingers crossed we’ll get a chance to bring it to PS3 too :)

+ huicho619 on January 11th, 2013 at 1:31 pm said:

How will the online leader boards work? Also, is there any estimate when the release date will be?

Keep up the good work.

+ Kchow23 on January 11th, 2013 at 1:36 pm said:

Wasn’t interested since it was a Mini and there was no demo to try befor buying either, but I will check it out now that its a full PS Vita title!

+ spidersparlor on January 11th, 2013 at 3:20 pm said:

James Marsden is an awesome dude.

Velocity is an awesome game.

Now I really have a reason for a Vita.

+ RyuuNoSekai on January 11th, 2013 at 3:55 pm said:

This is like throwing a free bag of candy at a child! Without the pain… and crying…

+ Genexi2 on January 11th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

Lots of bright primary colours, your studios’ artists clearly know how to make the Vita’s OLED screen shine.

+ James Marsden on January 14th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

Thanks for the nice comment!

I can confirm that (especially playing in the dark) the new graphics look ultra-fresh on the PS Vita screen. Very excited.

+ RE_Player on January 11th, 2013 at 5:08 pm said:

Looking forward to this, loved the mini version.

+ SpooNManX on January 11th, 2013 at 6:12 pm said:

Another great game for the Vita.

PS: Sony can you please fix the log in for mobile devices.
Every time I try to log in to to leave a comment it brings me to a dead link.
I have to get on a laptop to comment here!

PAGE 1 2