LittleBigPlanet 3

Killzone: Mercenary Hits PS Vita September 17th, New Trailer and Screens

Poria Torkan's Avatar + Posted by Poria Torkan on Jan 30, 2013 // Producer, Guerrilla Games

Killzone: Mercenary is scheduled for a September 17, 2013 release in North America. We also have a brand-new trailer for you to enjoy:

Killzone: Mercenary is a new first-person shooter in the Killzone series, developed specifically for the PlayStation Vita platform and powered by the stunning Killzone engine. Starting just after the ending of the original Killzone, and revisiting many of the events from the Killzone trilogy, the game puts players in the rugged combat boots of a mercenary named Arran Danner. Danner is a former UCA-soldier who has no qualms about taking on paid contracts from the ISA as well as the Helghast.

When a seemingly routine mission to evacuate the Vektan Ambassador and his family in Pyrrhus goes awry, Danner discovers that the outcome of the war could very well depend on the fate of the Ambassador’s young son. With both sides going to increasingly desperate lengths to get hold of the boy, he begins to wonder whether the price of victory is really worth the paycheck.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

Comprised of nine single-player missions — each nearly an hour in length— Killzone: Mercenary delivers a full Killzone experience in a portable package. Completed missions unlock additional replay challenges, with a host of special objectives to accomplish. The game also boasts a full-fledged multiplayer mode with six maps tailored for eight players and three different game types, including the popular Warzone mode.

In keeping with the soldier-for-hire theme, every action in Killzone: Mercenary is rewarded. The better you perform, the higher your payout – not just in the single-player campaign, but also in the multiplayer mode. The wages you collect are deposited into a single bank account, so the money you earn in the campaign missions can also be used to buy gear and weapons for multiplayer matches, and vice versa.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

Killzone: Mercenary makes full use of PlayStation Vita’s considerable input and graphics capabilities. It enhances the familiar dual-stick FPS control scheme with touch controls for actions such as brutal melee, and with tilt controls for accurate sniper aiming. The game even uses the powerful Killzone 3 engine to bring its massive environments and impressive set pieces to life. But don’t just take our word for it — watch the trailer above, and check out the new screens in this post.

Stay tuned to Killzone.com and PlayStation.Blog, because we’ll have a behind-the-scenes interview with game director Piers Jackson soon.

141 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Hwang_Mi-Young_ on January 30th, 2013 at 4:22 pm said:

Yay another boring fps

+ whatisdelicious on January 30th, 2013 at 4:23 pm said:

I actually had to blow the pictures up to their original size to believe that this is actually a Vita game. Once you see it really big, you start to notice the rough edges that confirm that yeah, it totally is a Vita game, but still, wow. Bravo. Very impressive work.

+ Jakintosh on January 30th, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

Honestly, had pretty little interest in this game before, but I might actually pick this up. Seems really solid, and looks like a good place to jump into the Killzone franchise.

+ actio1_618 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:25 pm said:

NICE.

+ TheGrimHeaper on January 30th, 2013 at 4:25 pm said:

Even if I’m not a big fan of FPS on the go, this game really does look great. I can’t even imagine what it looks like on the Vita screen! Great job, Guerrilla crew.

+ kdiep on January 30th, 2013 at 4:26 pm said:

Wow, graphics are crazy for a handheld title. Easily the best. Looking forward to this but it’s a shame it’s about another 8 months away.

+ GeoDarky on January 30th, 2013 at 4:27 pm said:

am so going to get this for me and my brothers. finally a true Vita FPS

+ MassaBR on January 30th, 2013 at 4:28 pm said:

That looks unbelievable! September is so far away. :(

Any chance of a beta earlier in the summer?

+ MakoSOLIDER on January 30th, 2013 at 4:28 pm said:

I’m not a FPS fan at all. But man does this look awesome. I’ll try to promote it as much as I can amongst my friends. That aside. Awww September :( But it looks like you guys are really using time to develop this game and I’d rather get a REALLY good product anyway.

Just hope SONY has something in between April to September on the Vita to tide us over. Tearaway?

+ enricky559 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

Looks really good. Looking forward to playing it.

+ EvRy1nVzZ on January 30th, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

Wow wow wow!!! I wish people would realize the fact that game are looking this good and have this much stuff on a handheld is amazing.

+ vongruetz on January 30th, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

Now that looks pretty amazing. It’s nice to see what a Vita game can look like when it’s not rushed out the door, or just an afterthought compared to the console version. Kudos.

+ phreeky91 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

this games looks really impressive. Plus I have always felt that the mechanics in killzone were the best in any shooter i have played, really looking forward to this release

+ MakoSOLIDER on January 30th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

Also question: Does Cambridge Guerrilla operate within the same building as main Guerrilla Games or separate buildings? How close or far apart are you guys. Curious

+ hebablo on January 30th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

Looks stunning. Better than Resistance: Burning Skies?! LOL! Great job! Vita getting some life!!!

+ ScreamAimFire999 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:31 pm said:

I hope it is worth the wait because it will be a long one.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 30th, 2013 at 4:32 pm said:

Is it gonna have co-op objective and “spec ops” mode?

What about some maps being cross platform with Killzone 3?

+ Butters360 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:33 pm said:

Game is looking nice! First day buy from me!

+ SAIYAN98 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:33 pm said:

YES!!! I kept coming back and back to the blog and said to myself “I hope there is a Killzone Mercenary Release date.” And here it is! Sad for the release date but it’ll be worth it. I hope GG finishes the game early and releases it earlier than expected!

+ marc2henri on January 30th, 2013 at 4:33 pm said:

wow looks so damn amazing. as usual no multiplayer gameplay. nice going SONY

+ swisstylez on January 30th, 2013 at 4:34 pm said:

Epic finally a Game worth buying!!!!!!!

+ Tremulan777 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:35 pm said:

I cannot wait for this game it looks very promesin. Any news about pre-order bonus? I’m still playing killzone 3 and I am a true killzone fan you have all my support guerilla games.

+ imarc3g on January 30th, 2013 at 4:36 pm said:

Game looks awesome, cant wait to play it. But Damn September!? Thats a big Gap between Soul Sacrifice April 30th & September 17th. I hope there some more great games to play in between.

+ camiwaits_us on January 30th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

Oh, boy, this is going to be great!

+ erapago on January 30th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

Native resolution? I’m shocked. Excellent work, guys.

+ MakoSOLIDER on January 30th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

Again, I’m no FPS guy but is a 9 hr campaign good for a FPS? Also, is this a Vita limitation? 8 players max? Not that any of thats bad.

+ gd0495 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:41 pm said:

WHY IS IT ONLY 8 PLAYERS ONLINE!? at least make it 12 please.

+ trustyourpilot on January 30th, 2013 at 4:43 pm said:

Will there be co-op (Wi-Fi or Local) in the single player at all?

+ PHead4 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:45 pm said:

I want to really thank y’all at guerrilla games for making this game and not giving it to another developer. Keeping this in house was a good move. Can’t wait to pick this game up. Hopefully this won’t be a star score format (3stars to fully pass the level) ala call of duty declassified and unit 13. Make this like the other killzones and I’m good.

+ fatdog21 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:48 pm said:

finally i see what the ita can do awesome!!!

+ Saint_Reaper666 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:49 pm said:

My money! Please take it!!

+ SteveO1683 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

Guerrilla Games is such an amazing developer. Cannot wait to see what they bring to the PS4!

+ Traumadore on January 30th, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

MakoSoldier: Killzone 3 was about 5-6 hours so 9 hour seems good. 8 player versus seems to be standard for Vita games, but 16 and 32 are most conmon on consoles/PC.

+ Zezzler on January 30th, 2013 at 4:52 pm said:

This is just the kind of Vita game I want.
Call of Duty was such a disappointment, so hopefully the fine folks of Guerrilla can pick up the slack.

It’s kind of a shame to hear that it’s only 8 player multiplayer, but as long as the gameplay mechanics and controls as well as well designed maps are there, I’m sure it’ll be fun. I hope Operations Mode makes it’s way to this version too! That was a fantastic part of KZ3.

Cannot wait to hear some impressions and see more gameplay soon!

+ Heavenly_king on January 30th, 2013 at 4:54 pm said:

PLEASE HAVE A TRUE STORY MODE!!! PLEASE!!! NOT LIKE UNIT13 or COD: Declasified…

I want a good story mode like in the previous KZ games PLEASE!!!!!

+ JKar275 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:55 pm said:

I’m very glad to see an official release date for this game!!!!!!!

The PS Vita needs high quality sci-fi shooter games & I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this game will not disappoint.

+ Omen_20 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

Looks like a reason to buy a Vita. I would love to see the Liberation series continue though. Is that still a possibility?

+ Suby_Greg on January 30th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

Nice. Looking forward to the game. Day 1 buy.

+ Squiggle55 on January 30th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

As much as I like Killzone, and as excited as I am for this game, I am still disappointed by 8 players online. I guess this is a Vita limitation because after all of the complaints about an 8 person limit, Killzone would have been the game to do it right if there wasn’t a Vita limitation.

+ Sub-Zero on January 30th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

Looks like i may have a reason to hold onto my vita. Looks great. and im not a big FPS fan

+ MakoSOLIDER on January 30th, 2013 at 4:58 pm said:

Nice logo btw LOL. Just wrote Cambridge underneath :)

+ avluis on January 30th, 2013 at 4:58 pm said:

Here we go! To Poria Torkan, thank you and your fellows at Guerrilla Games for honestly taking your time to post this and to actually give the PS Vita the following:

The Killzone 3 Engine!
Full Length Campaign Missions :-O
Single player thats longer than 2-3 hours [You suck it COD:BO:D] :-P
Original story based on the franchise and set between, not before… :-)
Proper Sixasis Support (It’s just a brand name, it’s really just accelerometer powered input, but it has to done right to be called that)
And finally,
A Flipping Game, no seriously, look at what the PS Vita has so far. Now tell me, are you not looking forward to this?

+ MakoSOLIDER on January 30th, 2013 at 4:59 pm said:

+Traumadore Thanks for the info

+ snakeeyes211 on January 30th, 2013 at 5:00 pm said:

This game is going to be incredible I can’t wait

+ race2winnet on January 30th, 2013 at 5:01 pm said:

Not a FPS fan but this looks great!

+ whiteboyfromco on January 30th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

I might cry. The only way this gets better is if it gets the Wipeout 2048 treatment and all the KZ3 maps hit this version. Also if there’s some sort of collector’s edition. :D

+ Flakao24 on January 30th, 2013 at 5:06 pm said:

Can’t wait!

+ M-Easy on January 30th, 2013 at 5:22 pm said:

My pants got tight while watching that trailer.

+ altrodesi on January 30th, 2013 at 5:23 pm said:

This looks great! Great job with the game and the trailer. I have been exited for this game ever since I heard about it a e3. I can’t wait to play it.

PAGE 1 2 3