PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Killzone: Mercenary Hits PS Vita September 17th, New Trailer and Screens

Poria Torkan's Avatar + Posted by Poria Torkan on Jan 30, 2013 // Producer, Guerrilla Games

Killzone: Mercenary is scheduled for a September 17, 2013 release in North America. We also have a brand-new trailer for you to enjoy:

Killzone: Mercenary is a new first-person shooter in the Killzone series, developed specifically for the PlayStation Vita platform and powered by the stunning Killzone engine. Starting just after the ending of the original Killzone, and revisiting many of the events from the Killzone trilogy, the game puts players in the rugged combat boots of a mercenary named Arran Danner. Danner is a former UCA-soldier who has no qualms about taking on paid contracts from the ISA as well as the Helghast.

When a seemingly routine mission to evacuate the Vektan Ambassador and his family in Pyrrhus goes awry, Danner discovers that the outcome of the war could very well depend on the fate of the Ambassador’s young son. With both sides going to increasingly desperate lengths to get hold of the boy, he begins to wonder whether the price of victory is really worth the paycheck.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

Comprised of nine single-player missions — each nearly an hour in length— Killzone: Mercenary delivers a full Killzone experience in a portable package. Completed missions unlock additional replay challenges, with a host of special objectives to accomplish. The game also boasts a full-fledged multiplayer mode with six maps tailored for eight players and three different game types, including the popular Warzone mode.

In keeping with the soldier-for-hire theme, every action in Killzone: Mercenary is rewarded. The better you perform, the higher your payout – not just in the single-player campaign, but also in the multiplayer mode. The wages you collect are deposited into a single bank account, so the money you earn in the campaign missions can also be used to buy gear and weapons for multiplayer matches, and vice versa.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

Killzone: Mercenary makes full use of PlayStation Vita’s considerable input and graphics capabilities. It enhances the familiar dual-stick FPS control scheme with touch controls for actions such as brutal melee, and with tilt controls for accurate sniper aiming. The game even uses the powerful Killzone 3 engine to bring its massive environments and impressive set pieces to life. But don’t just take our word for it — watch the trailer above, and check out the new screens in this post.

Stay tuned to Killzone.com and PlayStation.Blog, because we’ll have a behind-the-scenes interview with game director Piers Jackson soon.

141 Comments

+ onslaughtree on January 30th, 2013 at 5:26 pm said:

This game looks awesome. I swear you guys, the RIGHT handheld needs to be supported by us gamers. Go out and pick up a Vita if you have not already got one. If we dont put support behind the Vita developers will only keep on putting their game on the other handheld. Support good games and great hardware gamers.

+ KazeEternal on January 30th, 2013 at 5:29 pm said:

FINALLY! Please deliver on a good single player campaign. We’re hurting for one on Vita with FPS’s. I can’t wait to play this game, I’ve had it on pre-order on Amazon as soon as it was announced.

PS: SPAWN GRENADES FOR MULTIPLAYER!

+ Macrocephalus on January 30th, 2013 at 5:31 pm said:

Hot diggity dog this looks awesome! Killzone 3 was one of my absolute favorite games of recent years, so I can’t wait for this. I just hope the campaign has a story and thrills to match KZ3′s.

+ Type-F- on January 30th, 2013 at 5:35 pm said:

OMG!!!!!!! FINALLY….This is one of the main reason why I got the Vita. When I saw Killzone on the Vita commercial on E3 I was so hyped :D HURRY UP!!!!!!!

+ Techni on January 30th, 2013 at 5:36 pm said:

September is a long time away. Vita needs games now
Get EA to port dead space mobile to it. That should have been ready for DS3′s launch

+ omegazio on January 30th, 2013 at 5:36 pm said:

i can’t wait for this i need it now but i’ll wait to see the final polished version of it at E3

+ Hatchetforce on January 30th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

Just get that preorder up and throw in a reason to go digital for those of us that have been going digital as well as all those you want to convert to that medium.

+ Kchow23 on January 30th, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

The game looks amazing!! Can’t wait till I can finally try it :)

+ DelicaGunz on January 30th, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

Pre-Ordering this for sure!!!

+ TheHaloHobo on January 30th, 2013 at 5:43 pm said:

This… is… SO FANTASTIC. SWEET BUFFALO LIVERS I LOVE THIS. :D The PS Vita is the first PlayStation system I have owned in far too long, and I must say, it has gotten , me into far many more franchises that I would have previously anticipated, so this is excruciatingly exciting to see another great game on my list! :D

+ Dubloon7 on January 30th, 2013 at 5:44 pm said:

looks exactly like Black Ops Declass. Desent raphics but show NO MOVEMENT and AIMING. Total crap game. I’m calling it now.

+ Pabloo1010 on January 30th, 2013 at 5:44 pm said:

This will be my first purchase when I get a Vita. Well done Sony and Guerrilla.

+ GhostMachine1 on January 30th, 2013 at 5:46 pm said:

Will a demo be available before launch? Cannot wait!

+ YungShep on January 30th, 2013 at 5:51 pm said:

OMG THAT LOOKS LIKE KILLZONE 3 ON THE VITA! THE TRAILER WAS AMAZING!

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY. A TRUE FPS ON THE VITA…KILLZONE DELIVERS

+ lazerwave217 on January 30th, 2013 at 5:54 pm said:

Boring Yeah Right. This is the best looking game on the vita right now.

+ Techni on January 30th, 2013 at 5:54 pm said:

also please have uncharted’s sixaxis aiming

+ Sevyne on January 30th, 2013 at 5:56 pm said:

Absolutely fantastic. Look what happens when a developer doesn’t outsource to a garbage dev! You get an amazing looking game that is not watered down!

The only disappointing thing about this so far is the long wait until it releases. Great job guys!

+ thunderbear on January 30th, 2013 at 6:05 pm said:

Looks incredible! Hope it plays as good as the other Killzone games (2 and 3), I’m a big fan. Very stunned at what you’ve achieved on the Vita graphically. Can’t wait until other developers catch up. This and Soul Sacrifice were the type of games I wanted a Vita for.

+ thunderbear on January 30th, 2013 at 6:06 pm said:

@65 Uncharted Vita’s aiming was optional and I personally got used to it and found it really useful to fine tune my aiming.

+ FeLiPe_MachiN3 on January 30th, 2013 at 6:17 pm said:

amazing trailer, it looks amazing, cant wait till september

+ Heatseeker125 on January 30th, 2013 at 6:19 pm said:

Now this is how you make a FPS on the Vita. Nihilistic Software should be ashamed of themselves for Resistance: Burning Skies and Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified. And I’d love to see the Nintendo POS (3DS) handle a game like this. lol.

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 30th, 2013 at 6:20 pm said:

Very impressive guys, thanks so much for showing the vita some love! Glad to see online multiplayer, the 8 player limit doesn’t bother me, I prefer somewhat “smaller” matches. And that payment/bank account system sounds interesting, wanna hear more about that.

P.S. screenshots look FANTASTIC! Got me some new vita wallpapers :)

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 30th, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

Oh and I agree with whiteboyfromco (#47), some map DLC’s from past killzones would be great! *looking at KZ1′s Park Terminal*

+ boboMELOSHE on January 30th, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

Looks amazing guys, cant wait to pick it up :D Halo 4′s Slayer mode is only 8 players lol I dont know what people are complaining about.

+ xClayMeow on January 30th, 2013 at 6:23 pm said:

Wow. I’m predominantly a PC gamer and am typically against playing FPS on a console (give me keyboard/mouse controls anyday), but holy freaking hell. I may have to actually bite and pick this up. I’m been impressed with the Vita’s graphics in other games, but this just brings it to a new level. If it runs smoothly, this could be the “killer app” the system needs to open up the eyes not only of consumers, but of other developers too. Let’s raise the bar!

+ icurafuse on January 30th, 2013 at 6:27 pm said:

All the people complaining about 8 player multiplayer. I think this is the Party limit. Sony needs to update their party app to support more.

+ soundandvision77 on January 30th, 2013 at 6:28 pm said:

Holy s***. That trailer was amazing. So much attitude, I love it. It looks just like Killzone 3, and that’s a very good thing. I can’t wait until September now.

+ Boxster17 on January 30th, 2013 at 6:46 pm said:

This game is looking awesome guys and will gladly wait until September to get a proper FPS on the Vita. Take as much time as you need to make it right, and you’ll have my money when it releases.

+ remanutd5 on January 30th, 2013 at 6:54 pm said:

Looks to me that Guerrilla Cambridge took Nihilistic back to school lol, anyways the game looks outstanding, im not liking the release date but hopefully sony have more announced games coming out between Soul Sacrifice and Killzone Mercenary release dates and i was hoping for 12-16 players online, is it a vita limitation? why only 8 players?

+ FreshaSaurusRex on January 30th, 2013 at 6:56 pm said:

I was excited watching the trailer but I kept thinking to myself, “I really hope it has some kind of multiplayer.” And it does, I almost cried. I have high expectations for this one, I hope it doesn’t go to waste.

+ Unholy_Kargath on January 30th, 2013 at 7:08 pm said:

This game looks good! Will the motion controlled aiming be optional?

+ Hokage_45678 on January 30th, 2013 at 7:34 pm said:

I honestly wished it was lauched a bit ealier like around June or july. I won’t be buying this cause I have University and its Engineering so its no joke anymore. :’(

+ ProfessorGerbik on January 30th, 2013 at 7:34 pm said:

@1 What is your problem? So we finally get the best FPS that will be on the Vita and you are saying it’s boring when you haven’t even played the game? Yea I am sure CoD Declassified and Resistance Burning Skies are so much more amazing..

@2 No duh the screenshots will look more pixelated when you blow the images up any image you blow up will look grainier and show more pixel edges , you aren’t playing the game on a monitor anyway it’s going to be played on the Vita’s screen where it looks great on the Vita.

Unnecessary things to point out is all I am saying. The games look absolutely amazing for being on the Vita and you know it isn’t going to look crappy on the OLED screen either.

+ IRA_RIOS on January 30th, 2013 at 7:51 pm said:

I want them to take their time with this, it’s a vita fps afterall, there’s gotta be some pressure there to get this right! If I can wait for gta5, this will be a piece of cake.

+ mnstrings on January 30th, 2013 at 8:10 pm said:

@ProfessorGerbik

People like Hwang_Mi-Young_ are trolls. I’m sure he creamed his pants at the fact that he got 1st comment.. Best thing to do is not even reply or acknowledge him.

This is definitely a day 1 buy for me, heck I’m preordering asap. Great job. :)

+ TooTall19 on January 30th, 2013 at 8:26 pm said:

Looks great! I don’t mind the 8 player limit. I’m a huge Killzone fan.

+ Fardeenah on January 30th, 2013 at 8:31 pm said:

will we be getting a demo or multiplayer beta?

+ the_jerbear on January 30th, 2013 at 8:57 pm said:

You guys should probably work on getting the past due titles out before you start promising more things you can’t deliver.

+ PR0JECT-R0YAL on January 30th, 2013 at 9:14 pm said:

If anyone really thinks that the FPS pn this game is crappy then honestly stop playing video games an shut your mouth lmfao Cuz this game is really good really fast an its only on PS VITA. If you have so unintelligent things to say before doing your research i insist you go get a gameboy color. better yet a freaking Nvidia Shield lmao. Playstations only problem are the lil crashes in between games which dont happen all the time. This game right here is going to blow your low FPS comments to ****!! lol

+ Aeryn_James on January 30th, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

While not my kind of game, it isn’t all about me. If the examples here are an accurate representation of graphics and game play, you have a hit on your hands. And Sony will have multiple system sellers scheduled for release this year.

Very positive reaction from from the FPS fans.
They will easily deal with the 8 person limit when considering the other aspects that you managed to fit in a handheld title.

+ jyel19 on January 30th, 2013 at 9:26 pm said:

Only 1 question why the vita that is more powerful than the psp is limite to 8 players online and the psp can handle more than 16…sorry for my english is no my primary laguage… just a simple question…

+ N7Recon on January 30th, 2013 at 9:29 pm said:

Nice to see an update on this game, not to mention a release date! Looks like the Vita may finally have a high-quality FPS available.

Guerrilla Cambridge…take your time to make this the equivalent of LBP Vita – that is to say, the best in the series so far.

+ GHOZTPRIME on January 30th, 2013 at 9:32 pm said:

It’s impressive how much it looks like KZ3 but I’m still not buying.

+ Facelaud on January 30th, 2013 at 9:32 pm said:

Aww man, more pre-order exclusive content b.s. I cancelled my pre-orders of Sly Cooper, The Last of Us, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 and Soul Sacrifice due to pre-order exclusive content(a very anti-consumer practice, guys), I guess I won’t even get to the pre-order stage now. This is terrible, maybe I shouldn’t have gotten my Vita. I went from singing the Vita’s praises from the highest mountains, recruiting friends and getting the system on day one(it *was* my favorite console ever, and I’ve been gaming since the SNES) to being really disappointed in the system, not because of the sparse release calendar but because the occasional great-looking Vita title was ruined by pre-order exclusive content. I’m sure as heck not throwing my dollar vote at something undeserving. Keeping the suits happy shouldn’t come before the consumer.

+ SHINSPIKES on January 30th, 2013 at 9:40 pm said:

Already waitin for HD ps3 version. Or flow blown ps4 version.

+ Heylow45 on January 30th, 2013 at 9:42 pm said:

Killzone: Mercenary looks like such a great game. Keep the good work up Guerrilla Games!

+ XFRod on January 30th, 2013 at 9:49 pm said:

@Facelaud – You really pass up great games because of pre-order exclusives? I’ll give you props for your conviction but seriously, pre-order stuff is always superficial fluff. A different colored gun, a multiplayer skin, etc. etc. Rarely ever anything game breaking and surely, not enough to pass up on the likes of The Last of Us. Again, hold tight to your believes, dude. I’m holding on to my Last of Us pre order.

+ Welmosca on January 30th, 2013 at 9:53 pm said:

OMG this looks fantastic KZ is the best FPS franchise ever created…I’m eagerly anticipating this game since it was announced damn those screenshots looks beautiful…its amazing whats possible with a group of a very talented people and Guerrilla guys are superb.Day 1 buy without doubt.

+ ClinToN on January 30th, 2013 at 10:03 pm said:

NIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Vita for me in fall it is.

+ Freshh23 on January 30th, 2013 at 10:13 pm said:

Wow, this looks to be the best Killzone yet and thats saying a lot! I just hope it doesnt end up sucking or not being the best it could actually be. I thought we were going to play as Helghast this time, thats disappointing unless its going to be better to play as the Mercenaries. Im very disappointed with only 8 player multiplayer, even PSP games had a lot more players. Im also very disappointed in the controls. Why not just use the rear pad as L2/R2 and the screen as L3/R3? that makes it exactly like on home consoles. And have multiple layouts, at least one the way the controllers currently are and one how I mentioned above.

Also, I hope the campaign is an actual campaign and not like some games which it isnt and its either like multiplayer or anything that isnt like a real campaign. Lastly, this game better have offline and online co-op campaign and competitive multiplayer and they are both the exact same thing. Theres absolutely no excuse, we are in 2013, its Sony, its PlayStation, its the PlayStation Vita and theres no excuse of split screen because each player has their own screen. If its not the case I will be hugely disappointed. Only 8 player multiplayer is already making this game weigh more on the not buy side.