PS4-Infamous

Superfrog HD Leaps onto PS3 and PS Vita This Year

Bethany Aston's Avatar + Posted by Bethany Aston on Feb 13, 2013 // Senior PR Executive, Team 17 Digital Ltd.

SuperFrog HD

You may remember that last week we published a blog piece on the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita release of Alien Breed, in which our Creative Director, Kevin Carthew, made a sneaky reference to potential future retro-revivals of other classic Team17 titles.

Today, we’re unveiling our plans to release Superfrog HD later this year, 20 years after the regal amphibian’s first appearance. Superfrog HD will feature all new graphics, and is set to make an appearance on both PS3 and PS Vita.

Debbie Bestwick, Team17’s Managing Director, says, “We’re extremely excited about bringing Superfrog HD to PS3 and PS Vita; it’s the most requested game that our fans are always requesting to see make a return. Now, with the 20th anniversary of the original Superfrog and the recent re-release of our classic survival-horror Alien Breed, we feel the timing has never been better.”

Superfrog was originally released on Amiga in 1993 and received much critical acclaim:

• The One Amiga – 93% – “With Team17’s impeccable track record I was expecting Superfrog to be well above par but it’s far more than that – it’s breathtakingly good. Everything about the game, from the graphics and sound through the control to gameplay, has been honed and tweaked to gleaming perfection”
  • Amiga Computing – 93% – “Superfrog is quite simply Team17’s greatest release to date. It’s full to the brim with great graphics, sound, playability and addiction. You’d have to be completely potty or hopping mad to ignore it”
  • CU Amiga – 89% – “Superfrog is a very polished product, possibly the best that Team17 have ever produced.”
  • Amiga Action – 89% – “What can you say about Team17? Everything they touch these days seems to turn into gold and Superfrog is no exception. This is without a doubt the best all-out platform game on the Amiga to date”
  • //Add Your Own

+ subzer007 on February 13th, 2013 at 1:08 am said:

1st! lol

+ G-Force08 on February 13th, 2013 at 1:20 am said:

Awesome news. : )

Looking forward to seeing gameplay and screens from the HD version of this classic!

+ Elvick_ on February 13th, 2013 at 1:23 am said:

Haven’t heard of it, but I like it already!

+ R_a_z_i_e_l on February 13th, 2013 at 1:26 am said:

Never played Superfrog but hey if its a good game ill buy it anyway.

+ GranpireV on February 13th, 2013 at 1:27 am said:

Hopefully it’s a little more faithful to the original vision than Alien Breed’s remake. That was just a slap in the face to the survival horror genre.

Bethany Aston's Avatar

+ Bethany Aston on February 13th, 2013 at 4:03 am said:

Do you mean the triology re-make or the re-release we’ve done of the original 1991 version? As you can play that using the original graphics and control system you know! :)

+ Elvick_ on February 13th, 2013 at 1:38 am said:

Okay, having looked it up on youtube, this could be awesome. The original intro was priceless.

Bethany Aston's Avatar

+ Bethany Aston on February 13th, 2013 at 4:02 am said:

Glad to hear you’re looking forward to it!

+ Daniel_Gonzz on February 13th, 2013 at 2:38 am said:

Will you guys be implementing shared trophies (PS3 and PSV trophies are in one list)? :)

+ BeanDK on February 13th, 2013 at 2:56 am said:

Will this version also include the original graphics like Alien Breed did?

Bethany Aston's Avatar

+ Bethany Aston on February 13th, 2013 at 4:02 am said:

Hi BeanDK, there will just be new HD graphics. But don’t worry, it’s looking fab so far! :D

+ nolo451 on February 13th, 2013 at 4:19 am said:

Have never heard of this, but my interest is piqued. :)

+ Sonicfan11589 on February 13th, 2013 at 4:41 am said:

Since it is on both PS3 and Vita, will it have the Cross features?

+ xeno3d on February 13th, 2013 at 5:37 am said:

LOVED playing this on my Amiga back in the day.

+ Velloid on February 13th, 2013 at 6:01 am said:

This is fantastic news! SuperFrog was an amazing Amiga game and I am ecstatic to see being released for the PS3. Keep up the great work guys and please release some more of your older titles. Project X, Assassin, ATR, Body Blows collection, Overdrive, and Qwak would also be welcomed :-) People do yourself a favor and check out some of the games that I listed above to see what great old school games were all about!

+ BANDICOOTKING on February 13th, 2013 at 6:30 am said:

meh. I love platformers, but I’ve never heard of this.

+ ElektroDragon on February 13th, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Can you please remake some other more famous Amiga games, like from Psygnosis, the company Sony purchased ages ago? I’d love to see the following Amiga games either ported in original form or remastered:

Shadow of the Beast series
    Blood Money
    Menace

You’ve done great with Lemmings, but there IS SO MUCH MORE!!! Don’t just sit on these brilliant old Psygnosis Amiga IPs you probably still own, USE THEM! I know you shut down the original studios, that doesn’t matter. Bring back the IP either in emulated or remastered form!

+ gtdominator5 on February 13th, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

Hey what happened to pulse?
    I miss get my PS news from Christine lee in a short and fun manner.

+ duke301 on February 13th, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

@15, Pulse was abruptly cancelled last summer. To my knowledge, Sony has never given a concrete reason, or even an announcement. Typical Sony. . .

+ TwinDad on February 13th, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

Thanks, long time fan of Team 17.

I miss my Amiga 3000 and Amiga 500.

+ BrendanCBear on February 13th, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

I love Team 17.

Now if I could just get a Worms game on my PlayStation Vita, I’d be truly happy.

+ Neuroup on February 13th, 2013 at 12:51 pm said:

Will there be a collector’s version? Maybe with a figure? I have some suggestion for figure :) http://www.ppa.pl/artykuly/pics/sekcje/strefa/superfrog/superfrog14.png

+ edward2697 on February 13th, 2013 at 3:16 pm said:

TEAM 17

Is there any chance of a worms 3d/mayhem release on the vita, the game would look great on the vita with oled screen.

+ ElektroDragon on February 13th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

WORMS on Vita and LEMMINGS on Vita, I’d be in heaven!

Come on, Team17, you’re the only ones in a position to bring awesome old Amiga games to PS3 and Vita.

Frankly, I think you should become a Sony exclusive studio so you can dip into their Psygnonsis backcatalog and re-master or emulate every Amiga game possible!

+ tusunami on February 13th, 2013 at 8:23 pm said:

This sounds interesting, i’ll have to keep a eye out for this. Keep the PS Vita games coming let’s get more PS Vita’s out in more regions!!!!!!!!!!

+ skin2121 on February 13th, 2013 at 8:43 pm said:

Sweet!!!! Can’t wait keep the good stuff coming.

+ torch73 on February 13th, 2013 at 11:52 pm said:

This is kool but when are you all going to put up some Real flagship games i know we have a few already ? but we need more this is not looking well for the Vita.. I hope u all don’t kill the vita off and that’s the end for it. I paid alot of money for it and its the best Hand held out ..we need a Real COD/ made by infinity wards ,Motor Storm ,GOD OF WAR , GTA , LBP Kart Racing & More..

+ Fnord on February 14th, 2013 at 12:45 am said:

Lovin’ all of the Amiga (and Team 17) love of late. Keep it coming. And how about taking the remnants of Liverpool and putting them back together as Psygnosis, while we’re at it. :)

+ SuperHALFBEAST on February 14th, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

hey guys, that’s great news! was a BIG fan of Superfrog back in the day (bought the game on the amiga, yes, bought!) – here’s a request: I bought Qwack on my ipad but I hate the controls, could you port it to the vita/ps3 so I can re-play a 1000000000 times? please? thank you! :D

+ PrimeroIncognito on February 14th, 2013 at 6:19 pm said:

I love classic platformers…

+ Dampiz on February 21st, 2013 at 5:09 am said:

This news just made my year, you have no idea.

This game is so nostalgic to me, in fact just before finding out this news I’ve been considering hunting down a working Amiga 500 just so I could play this game along with other classics (like Robocod, Rolling Ronny, etc.) Thank you so much for this gift to us retro fans and I look forward to this (Also, if you still can please try to include the original game as an unlockable or something, that would be icing on the cake.