PS4 - Transistor

PlayStation Plus: Plants vs. Zombies Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Feb 25, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Hopefully you’ve been digging into some of the free PlayStation Plus content this month including Vanquish, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, and indie-hit Closure. This week, we’re excited to bring the crowd-pleasing Plants Vs. Zombies on PS Vita to the Instant Game Collection.

In addition, there are some fantastic sales to jump on as well including the Gamers’ Choice Awards discounts (winners announced tomorrow) and the PS Vita Anniversary Sale celebrating PS Vita’s first year. Read on to learn more about these exceptional sales.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access via the Sony Entertainment Network online store.

February 26th PlayStation Plus Update

Plants Vs. Zombies (PS Vita)

PSN Price: $10.49, Free for PS Plus members

Popcap’s irreverent take on the real time strategy genre is yours to play free on your PS Vita starting this week as a PS Plus member. At first glance, you may think it’s just another cute strategy game. Get your hands on it, and you’ll find an incredible amount of strategy that relies on everything from picking the right plants, determining their placement, and decisions while under fire from masses of zombies. The PS Vita version sports a ton of great features including co-op multiplayer, a ton of modes, and even some mini-games to keep you busy, making putting Plants vs. Zombies down an pleasantly tough proposition.
Retro/Grade (PS3)

PSN Price: $9.99; PS Plus Price: $2.44

Retro/Grade Soundtrack

PSN Price: $7.99; PS Plus Price: $1.74

The game that turned rhythm games upside down is now available at an irresistible price for PS Plus Members! Starting at the end of the game and working your way back to the sound of head-bobbing retro tunes, you’ll need to ensure the pilot makes it alive through his backward journey through time. With 10 dazzling ‘backwards’ worlds, epic boss fights, and a seriously fantastic soundtrack, it’s a deal that everyone should jump on. If you like the music, we also went ahead and put the soundtrack on sale as well! You can grab it for $1.74 on the PS Store as a PS Plus member.
Gamers’ Choice Awards Winners Discounts

Various Discounts for PS Plus Members

You voted, now you’re about to reap the rewards. This week the winners of the Gamers’ Choice Awards go on sale at various discounts across the board. Tune in to PlayStation.Blog tomorrow morning to find out which titles won as voting is still on as of today’s Plus Update and the race in some categories is pretty darn close. If you need a refresher on the nominees and still haven’t cast your vote, click here.
PS Vita Anniversary Sale

Various Discounts for PS Plus Members
It’s been 1 year since the PS Vita launched and to celebrate, we’re placing a number of crazy good PS Vita titles on sale. Take a look at the full list. Though the sale is for all of PSN, Plus members, as usual, get extra discounts on top these already good deals. Take a look at the full list below.

Game Title Normal Price Sale Price PS Plus Sale
Escape Plan $14.99 $10.49 $7.34
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $35.99 $25.19 $17.63
Hustle Kings PS Vita $9.99 $6.99 $4.89
Little Deviants $17.99 $12.59 $8.81
MLB The Show 12 PS Vita $17.99 $12.59 $8.81
ModNation Racers: Road Trip $17.99 $13.99 $9.79
MotorStorm RC Complete Edition $11.99 $8.39 $5.87
PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale $35.99 $25.19 $17.63
Reality Fighters $17.99 $12.59 $8.81
Smart As $26.99 $18.89 $13.22
Sound Shapes $14.99 $10.49 $7.34
Super Stardust Delta $9.99 $6.99 $4.89
Unit 13 $26.99 $18.89 $13.22

You should leave your thoughts by dropping them below and as usual, I’ll do my best to respond to key questions and comments. We’ve also got the PS Plus section in the PlayStation Community Forums where you can continue chatting about PS Plus, or find other topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 2-26-2013

PAGE 1 2 3 4 17

+ Betorro on February 25th, 2013 at 9:21 am said:

Terrible update. We want Mass Effect 3.

+ Frulond on February 25th, 2013 at 9:21 am said:

Oh my god… EU PS+ users are getting Mass Effect 3, Dead or ALive 5 & Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (vita) for free.

And we get crappy update AGAIN!

I think it’s been like this since November 2012, when it is going to end?

+ Blighttdm on February 25th, 2013 at 9:22 am said:

So if All Stars is going on sale will that be a Cross Buy game?

+ Loggernaut on February 25th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

Great! I’ll be picking Stardust. PvZ is great too, it’s been a while since I played it on PC.

+ token_all_night on February 25th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

well i done commenting cuz i have asked the same damn question for over a moth now and no damn response morgan f off your updates are aweful and plus has gone down hill so far since i joined a year ago we got four games this month all crap last year we got about 7+ so this is ps screw off sony

+ al2009man on February 25th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

“I WANT A PSVITA GAME FRREEEEEEEEEEE FOR PLUSSS WERE ANTS ERGEEETTTTING MUCH”

*Later give you Plants vs. Zombies (VITA) free for plus*

Still complains. at least i always wanted PvZ as Mobile

+ tgpumpkin on February 25th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

where are people seeing this atlus sale because I don’t see anything on here about Persona 2 being on sale. Did I miss a post or something?

In terms of the sale, PvZ is great…a classic. My only issue is that it’s so easily owned at this point that it deflates the excitement. App store gave it away free last week…you can get it dirt cheap on the pc. Based on that fact alone I have a couple of copies in my possession of it.

Still holding my breath for an RPG in IGC… :)

Thanks for all you do Morgan. Plus is great. I’m renewing this week since it’s the last week of the 3 months free sale.

+ easyriderzombie on February 25th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

Morgan I know you get alot of heat from ps consumers about PS+. I just want to say you do a great job and I appreciate the work you do. Take care!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on February 25th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

Thanks! it’s always fun to read the comments, whether they’re critiques or praise.

+ Ghostwize on February 25th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

ME3, DoA and MGS are all March offerings people. This is still our Feb content. Relax. Retro Grade will be mine for that steal of a price! PvZ is a wonderful Vita addition!

Morgan, do you know if Dark Arisen(Dragon’s Dogma Expansion) will be a disc addition only? Probably out of your realm but I thought I would put it out there!

+ IzoGray on February 25th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

I would totally buy RetroGrade on my Vita or if Remote Play was implemented. Otherwise I just don’t ever see myself playing it on my PS3.

+ spaceboy21 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

Nice update. I’m happy to get PvZ on my Vita. We bought it on PS3 long ago, but it fits Vita much better! I’ll also pick up Unit 13 finally. I’ve been meaning to, and the sale looks good (it doesn’t hurt that I got the $10 thank you voucher from Sony – so…right back at ya) :)

Anyone with a Vita ought to pick up Urban Trials Freestyle – with the PS+ discount it’s a great value. Fun game that looks and plays beautifully.

Love the PS4 info too this week. Looks like a really well thought out machine. I won’t use all the social stuff, but some of it looks pretty cool. Plus with Infamous, Killzone, and Drive Club – we have a great launch lineup to look forward to!

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 25th, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

@ ZenTripleFour #26 @ sifuluc #25 This is still February, we don’t know what we’re getting in march yet. Calm down

+ VanillaGui on February 25th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

I’ll never renew my PS+ account. Not like this.

+ JoeGoodsnake2 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

@ZenTripleFour

I was curious to find out what we used to get back in the day for Plus. Just last year we had a gigantic amount of games (a lot of oldies, but goodies ALONG with full PS3 retail games). Furthermore, the difference between NA and EU back then was nearly negligable (one game off, if even) which destroys the current argument of “regional differences”.

What’s really going on:

PS Plus NA, once it got a lot of subscribers, decided to devalue their service. That is, after they got an even higher influx of income from subscription sales; instead of increasing value for their customers they actively went about decreasing it.

While I originally had hopes for my EU subscription, this really means that their long term goal is to reduce their value across the board for all regions, I’m certain. When NA finally does have equal value to EU, it will be because they drastically reduced the EU value rather than due to them giving a damn about their customers in the least.

I can’t wait for Steambox to come out and put these console gaming companies out of their misery.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on February 25th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

@tgpumpkin : You might wanna take a look at The Drop of the week. Rey mentioned it.

+ officialnast on February 25th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Well my sub ends on the 28th of this month and this update pretty much guarantees that i won’t be resubscribing. Not a single game I’ve been interested in so far in 2013.

+ jonjon0890 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

I felt ripped off w the US PS Plus. I’m hoping for Sleeping Dogs or Mortal Kombat free next month.
I can’t believe Europe is gettin Mass Effect 3, Dead or Alive 5 and Joe Danger 2: The Movie free 4 PS Plus. Luckily i have bought a 1-yr subscription 4 EU PS Plus recently

+ nolo451 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Nice another Vita game, thanks a bunch. :)

+ ZenTripleFour on February 25th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Febuary for Europe PS Plus:
6th February: Sleeping Dogs
6th February: Quantum Conundrum
6th February: F1 Race Stars
13th February: WipEout 2048(Vita)
20th February: Lumines Electronic Symphony(Vita)

Febuary for American PS Plus:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma+(Vita)
Plants vs. Zombies(Vita)
Lord of the Rings Guardians of Middle Earth
Closure(1 cent in the Humble Bundle)
Vanquish(Europe had this for months before)

4/5 retail titles for Europe in February

2/5 retail titles for NA in February

There is a disparity.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on February 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

Thanks for the list! This is definitely a larger conversation, but the feedback from you guys on this note has not gone unnoticed nor unreported. While I stand by the value that Plus gives NA gamers, and still feel it’s the best gaming subscription service around, I can see why some might feel that this is an issue.

+ Richlando on February 25th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

@#57 Dark Arisen(Dragon’s Dogma Expansion) will be a PSN release (full game as well) April 23rd.

+ gus_xl on February 25th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

What’s with all the odd pricing? $13.22, $8.81, $7.34? It’s all very confusing…

+ djtripd on February 25th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

Why is the pricing on PSN so terrible?

Unit 13, Hot Shot Golf, Modnation Racer, Reality Fighters and Little Deviants have all been in the $9.99 price range on sale from major retailer in Canada.

I’m all for digital downloads but if I’m not getting any physical media shouldn’t the price be lower then retail? Although at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter since anything I download for the PS3 from PSN is now useless on the PS4. Thanks for that by the way, I might take a look at the new Xbox now.

+ tylerh1701 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

Great update for Vita owners, I’ve had a feeling PvZ would be free eventually so I hadn’t purchased it yet. I’m super excited to play it again! I already own Retro/Grade, but getting that for $2.xx is great deal as well!

I’ll also be buying a few Vita games from the sale, especially Super Stardust and Hustle Kings! I don’t comment a lot because I’m usually rather happy with the weekly updates (AND I REALLY HOPE YOU KEEP THEM WEEKLY, I MUCH PREFER WEEKLY UPDATES) I just hope you guys realize that those commenting are the small minority of all PS+ subscribers who actually aren’t happy with the service. In no way do a lot of these gripers represent the the entire PS+ community.

Keep up the good work.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 25th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

By the way, for of you who don’t know, Retro Grade is playable on vita via remote play.

+ su43berkut17 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

I must admit that the US free games pales in comparison with Europe, I mean they got Metal Gear Solid HD!!! and we got… plants and zombies…

+ Volcomkewl on February 25th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

I usually don’t complain about these updates, but I’m seriously starting to reconsider not re-newing my suscription in March. I mean come on, when Europe is getting games like those monthly, what’s the point in being a US member anymore? I can just renew my suscription but change it to Europe, easily. And I’m seriously thinking about doing that. I understand the licesing issues that can occur, but atleast give us games that everyone is recommending ( Ex; Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, etc..).

Also off-topic but Morgan is there any chance that Final Fantasy X will be in the PS2 classics section anytime soon? They could have put all of them on there by now instead of thsoe stupid Dora games that absolutely nobody wants.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on February 25th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

i knew PvsZ will come to PS+ someday good thing i didn’t buy it. Even though there’s not much for me i’m going to continue to purchase PS+ and while i’m at it i’ll save some money for the PS4.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 25th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

EU gets MGS HD and we get PvZ? What the hell is this?

Discounts need to be more aggressive, I would buy HSG for 10 bucks and Smart As for 5. It’s a start though, some of those prices are good, even if I have no interest in the game.

+ Dragonslayer_023 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

Is the Super Stardust Delta DLC going to be on sale as well, or at least included at the $5?

+ Joe-TFW on February 25th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

I don’t know if I need yet another version of Plants vs Zombies, even if it is Free. I’ve got it on 5 different platforms already and there’s not much juice left in the game for me though. I do love it and it’s a great pickup for those who haven’t played it yet, but there’s probably not many people who haven’t these days.

The sales, on the other hand, will definitely be taken advantage of. Retro/Grade for sure and maybe a couple of others on the Vita side. Plus I’m curious about the Gamers’ Choice discounts.

+ Curtisio on February 25th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

Plants vs Zombies on the Vita for free! That’s what I’m talking about! I got the version for the PS3 and did not like having to buy the Visa for the same game.

+ BansheeWrath on February 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

Awesome update! I’m glad I picked up a Vita last week, now I just need to get a bigger memory card because of all these games. What would you recommend getting, Morgan?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on February 25th, 2013 at 9:58 am said:

If you’re a JRPG fan, Persona 4. If you dig racing: Wipeout 2048. Action adventure: gravity Rush, Uncharted, Sly Cooper. Bite sized fun: Tales from Space, Escape Plan. Fighting: Battle Royale, Mortal Kombat, Strret Fighter x Tekken. Tons more to choose from!

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

@ djtripd really? over here in the US all of those games are at least $19.99, maybe more.

+ ZenTripleFour on February 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

Febuary for Europe PS Plus:
6th February: Sleeping Dogs
6th February: Quantum Conundrum
6th February: F1 Race Stars
13th February: WipEout 2048
20th February: Lumines Electronic Symphony

March for Europe PS Plus:
6th March: Mass Effect 3
6th March: Dead or Alive 5
6th March: Joe Danger 2
13th March: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
20th March: Puddle

Do you even think for a second America will get anything as good as ME3, DOA5 and MGS HD? I don’t think so.

+ ASC2175 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

Eh…sale ain’t bad…need more games anyway.

+ TitleOne on February 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

To all the “geniuses” comparing this week’s update to the March EU update, you do realize that’s their update for the month of MARCH, right?

Continue looking dumb as always.

+ xenosaga200 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

great sale for ps vita

+ tgpumpkin on February 25th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

@ Zage : Thanks for the referral. I got confused because I automatically assumed the PSP Persona 2 when I read that.

Here’s hoping for Walking Dead to be on sale. I would like to own the last 3 episodes :)

+ scorpionkid234 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

I think our 50$ came back to us, if you add up the free games we got by their prices, its ALOT more than 50$

By I do agree, we need a more recent retail game

+ Richlando on February 25th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

Correction: #59. It was 57 at first..who is deleting posts? Is it Joooo?

+ rockxx2 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

please dead or alive 5 for ps plus

+ JoeGoodsnake2 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:33 am said:

February 2012 update for NA:

Far Cry 2 – 2/14 (V-Day Special One Week Offer)
The Simpsons Arcade Game – 2/7

@TitleOne @86

Hey genius:

Febuary for Europe PS Plus:
6th February: Sleeping Dogs
6th February: Quantum Conundrum
6th February: F1 Race Stars
13th February: WipEout 2048(Vita)
20th February: Lumines Electronic Symphony(Vita)

Febuary for American PS Plus:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma+(Vita)
Plants vs. Zombies(Vita)
Lord of the Rings Guardians of Middle Earth
Closure(1 cent in the Humble Bundle)
Vanquish(Europe had this for months before)

I did a comparison between America and Europe of the month of Febuary.. Note that EU already had Vanquish and LOTR previously.

+ AnoyoIkari on February 25th, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

I feel kinda bad for Morgan having to post the updates that will bring about so much dismay. Here’s to hoping Marchs updates have at least something worthwhile in it. *crosses toes*

+ DR_DEATH420 on February 25th, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

Wow really eu gets a bunch of really goods games like me3 next month . While na gets random crap every week. You know I’d still have plus if na got even half of what eu gets.

+ ZenTripleFour on February 25th, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

Also excuse me Ninja Gaiden Sigma was a January PS Plus update.

Febuary for Europe PS Plus:
6th February: Sleeping Dogs
6th February: Quantum Conundrum
6th February: F1 Race Stars
13th February: WipEout 2048(Vita)
20th February: Lumines Electronic Symphony(Vita)

Febuary for American PS Plus:
Plants vs. Zombies(Vita)
Lord of the Rings Guardians of Middle Earth
Closure(1 cent in the Humble Bundle)
Vanquish(Europe had this for months before)

4/5 retail titles for Europe

1/4 for NA

+ trapyahweh on February 25th, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

I really want a reason to come back to playstation plus to play the games I already have but once again lackluster week. I hope next month we can get something comparable to what the EU gets. Just one recent game, just one please. Also how is it that Europe gets the good stuff and yet we get, PvZ, a game that has been on every platform imaginable.

+ Betorro on February 25th, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

We get crap like this and Europe, on top of getting things like Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead Redemption and Arkham City.

Europe PS Plus is getting: