PS4-The Order

The Last of Us Development Series Episode 1: Hush

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Feb 28, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

A few weeks ago we revealed the Infected and let select media get some hands-on time against these unpredictable, fungus-infested humans. The responses were tension-filled and fantastic. We’re excited to share more information with you about The Last of Us and the Infected.

Starting with this video we’re kicking off a series that will pull back the curtain on our design, our technology, and our ideas that shape The Last of Us. We want to give you a straightforward look at our development process and the work we do here at Naughty Dog. We invited Area 5 to visit the studio and capture the development process. Along the way we’ll be unpacking the many different aspects of the game and its development with a documentarian’s approach.

This first video is just a taste of what’s upcoming. Extended cuts of these videos will be available via the game disc. We’ll have more behind-the-scenes access and content as we march toward June 14th and the launch of The Last of Us.

PAGE 1 2

+ Kchow23 on February 28th, 2013 at 12:03 am said:

Awesome!! can’t the game release tomorrow :)

+ freshprincepbg on February 28th, 2013 at 12:06 am said:

Can’t wait for this game, at least I’ll be able to play it March 12th :)

But when are we gonna see the Multi-player? Really the only thing I need to see until the release date

+ IM_RICK_GRIMES on February 28th, 2013 at 12:09 am said:

Will this game be sold on PSN?

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 12:55 am said:

We are discussing that and will have an announcement soon.

+ wolfnineniner on February 28th, 2013 at 12:23 am said:

Oh yeah, I can’t wait to get this game. I bought a new PS3 for this one :o)

+ Big_Boss9293 on February 28th, 2013 at 12:25 am said:

I can’t wait for this game. PS3 is going out with a bang.

@Eric, will the demo that comes with God of War Ascension be playable on March 12th or will it be released at a later time?

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 12:57 am said:

As soon as you have the God of War disc you’ll know how long you’ll have to wait. We will likely discuss timing at a later date once we get it sorted.

+ Kchow23 on February 28th, 2013 at 12:28 am said:

On a media blackout since last year’s E3 so I won’t get to watch any of these cool trailers… However, will you guys have a lot of behind the scenes content on disc similar to Uncharted 2? I loved having a peek at the process at ND and was a bit disappointed how little of it was in Uncharted 3.

+ Veitsknight2 on February 28th, 2013 at 12:54 am said:

Is it just me or did the graphics decline a bit?

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 12:58 am said:

We are still in development and polish will be added to what you see. Also watch the video in 720p.

+ loakum on February 28th, 2013 at 12:56 am said:

The Last of Us is by FAR, my most anticipated Game of the Year! I pre ordered the Post Pandemic Edition, the Art of the Last of Us from amazon, and would buy a PS4 version of this game, if it’s released for Sony’s upcoming console! I even pre ordered God of War Ascension, mainly for the demo (even though, I was gonna get GOWA anyway, because I love God of War) lol

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 12:59 am said:

You’re awesome! Thank you for all the support.

+ loakum on February 28th, 2013 at 1:01 am said:

I wonder which demo of The Last of Us, that will be released for folks that pre ordered God of War Ascension? I heard there are two demos for “The Last of Us”: the “Infected” demo, where Joel, Elle, and Tish face humans infected with the corcep parasite. The other demo is with Joel and Elle facing dangerous humans, in a abandoned building.

+ loakum on February 28th, 2013 at 1:06 am said:

Aw thanx Eric! The support is easy, with awesome games like “The Last of Us” being made! This isn’t just a slam dunk for Sony, but I feel this will be a slam dunk for the gaming industry, as a whole! It’s a GREAT time to be a gamer! ^_^

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 1:10 am said:

Keep on spreading the love! We agree and appreciate it.

+ tampaBAY on February 28th, 2013 at 1:10 am said:

June 14 can’t come soon enough. I can’t wait to play the next epic game from my favorite developers Naughty Dog!
Also I hope you include more behind the scenes type of stuff as extra unlockables in the game because I love watching that stuff.

+ NeoMahi on February 28th, 2013 at 1:14 am said:

Geez…. Naughty Dog, you never ceases to amaze! Its just one outstanding experience after another. We’re hoping Sony are treating you well and giving you the publicity that this game needs and deserves. Its a concern on all PlayStation fans minds. Marketing is EXTREMELY important and something Sony greatly needs to improve on. Its pretty sad when your fans are having grind at getting marketing done. Honestly, I wish TV Ads were more like the 90′s when the Sega Genesis was battling the SNES, and the Saturn was battling the PlayStation. I always thought Sega did the best, but it really got amped up passionate gamers behind “Their Console”.

Ah shoot…. I did it again. We’re just really pullin for ya Naughty Dog! We want success from you because success from you means more and more great experiences for us. Can’t wait to see what’ve you got in the slow cooker for the PS4 as well.

+ loakum on February 28th, 2013 at 1:21 am said:

OMG!!!! This video got me even more excited!!!! (and I didn’t think that was posible, because I was already uber excited) The story about the cordycep infected humans is sooooo deep (and scary)!! I’m having a real nerdgasm here!!!

+ Nano1124 on February 28th, 2013 at 1:36 am said:

Can’t wait for more episodes! I love watching these types of things.

+ Orlenius on February 28th, 2013 at 2:04 am said:

I literally had shivers watching this, the echo-location is genius and terrifying. It’s so hard to dodge the conventional silhouettes for enemy types but right off the bat with the fungal headed approach I’m already excited just to see what else I’ll be afraid of when The Last of Us is released here in Australia!

This was super enjoyable and insightful and as an aspiring Concept Artist it really gave me more drive to get on your payroll someday, as intimidating and challenging as that may be haha.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

Amazing! Thank you for all the kind words. We put a lot of thought into developing the behaviors of the Infected.

+ Orlenius on February 28th, 2013 at 2:10 am said:

FACT: We’re all lucky that the Cordyceps hasn’t been able to adapt to humans successfully.
FACT: Naughty Dog is the heart and soul of Playstation.

+ Orlenius on February 28th, 2013 at 2:14 am said:

I find it unnerving to know that Paras’ evolution into Parasect (Pokemon) is essentially a case of Cordyceps taking over a Paras’ mind and body (which is why it’s eyes turn white and it gets a mushroom on it’s back.)

+ Sinsational on February 28th, 2013 at 2:28 am said:

Seriously looking forward to this one. Cannot wait.

+ GMFCO311 on February 28th, 2013 at 3:28 am said:

This game looks so good, can not wait to get my hands on it. Scary freaky games sadly aren’t developed enough. Naughty Dog makes grade A quality work. Definitely one of my favorite developers. Keep up the good work guys. :)

+ Peegeeplayer on February 28th, 2013 at 4:00 am said:

Can’t wait to get my hands on this game … Looking good every single time, i watch a clip

+ branant221 on February 28th, 2013 at 5:12 am said:

I am looking for something bad about this game , but I can’t find it. It has the chance to be the game of the year. Good Job.

+ TheNatureRoy on February 28th, 2013 at 6:05 am said:

Mark me down as another hoping for a PSN release (if it’s available on PSN I’ll buy it, if not, I won’t — broken BR-drive. Fingers crossed…).

+ VengefulTorture on February 28th, 2013 at 6:15 am said:

I love how well thought out the infected are. Just the fact that you guys took an idea from nature and really incorporated it into the game in such a realistic way is amazing.

+ GhostMachine1 on February 28th, 2013 at 6:16 am said:

How long will the campaign be? My gf also has a PS3 and when we went to Sony’s conference at e3 last year, we were blown away. Naughty Dog = most legendary developer ever!

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

Of course it always depends on how you play the game but the campaign is our longest ever we believe.

+ YungShep on February 28th, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

the infected look nasty, yet satisfying. and sound horrendous, lol. im pumped!

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on February 28th, 2013 at 6:26 am said:

I really wish sony would learn to put these developer videos on PSN. o______________o

I wanna watch on my big TV and youtube blows if you know anything about video bit rate.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

We have some of our older ones up there. We’ll be getting these up once the series is over and possibly before.

+ swisstylez on February 28th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

I told myself that I was not going to buy more games, well at least until the PS4 comes out but damn how do I say no to this game really?

+ SpaceJam_On_VHS on February 28th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

Since a demo is being fished out first to those who get GoW, will Playstation Plus owners have an early availability time slot for the demo?

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

The first owners to get the demo will be those who buy God of War Ascension!

+ Belial_3 on February 28th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

I really have had high hopes for this game and the video just supports it! Can’t wait for the demo from GOWA and my Post-Pandemic edition to arrive in June!

+ TwinDad on February 28th, 2013 at 7:39 am said:

I didn’t read one word, sorry. I’m on media blackout until I play the game. I wanted to stop by and say it looks super fun and I can’t wait to play it.

I do not like shooters, but there is something about the ND Uncharted games that make it seem more of an adventure and the reason I like to play them. Hopefully this is more of an adventure than another pewpew shooter.

+ boboMELOSHE on February 28th, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

Gonna be a great game :D ps3 is definitely going out strong!

+ NYPUNK88 on February 28th, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

Looks fantastic ND, great job but are we going to see a preview of the MP soon? Is there Co-Op? Please say there’s Co-Op! I want this game now! xO

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 4:04 pm said:

We’ll have news about the multiplayer soon!

+ Zacky-V-A7X on February 28th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

Awesome job ND as always, GOTY 2013 for sure and can’t wait to se Uncharted 4 for PS4 at E3!!

+ Pikmologist on February 28th, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

This game is going to be amazing, Already have my Post Pandemic Edition pre-ordered! This is definitely my most anticipated game of the year and I hope it wins Game of the Year! Renewing my Plus tomorrow, Upgrading to the 500 GB Red PS3 on the 12th, and this game, I say I’m all set for awhile :)

+ KreitzAIC12 on February 28th, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

I really hope there will be a demo for PSN, I just don’t have the money for GOW.

+ MushThePainter on February 28th, 2013 at 9:19 am said:

Can’t wait!!!

+ DanielMeier on February 28th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

Respect for using AREA5, those guys are so awesome. Game looks so nice.

+ pickupdoctor on February 28th, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

Can’t wait.

+ Tremulan777 on February 28th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

Great content I hope I can see Joel as part of the play station all star battle royal. Any comment Eric?

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 28th, 2013 at 4:34 pm said:

Cool idea but there’s been no discussion about that. You never know!

+ GoCanes89 on February 28th, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Can’t wait for this game, but I do have a concern. I have a pre-order in but plan on getting the PS4 when it comes out, but due to the lack of backwards compatibility I would be disappointed to not be able to continue playing this in a few months. Can we get confirmation that a PS4 version will come out at launch? Or should I cancel my pre-order and just wait to see if it comes out when I get my PS4 in a few months?

+ talkingorange on February 28th, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

@ DanielMeier It’s been crazy amazing working with Naughty Dog. The deserve as much credit for the quality of this mini-doc series as we do!

+ Vorlord on February 28th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

You know, that head display piece of the Infected Fungus would look good in my room along with my Helghast collectors edition! I’m still waiting for it to go on auction on eBay! ^_^

+ D-Squad3 on February 28th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

Great to know that these will also be on the disc!

+ D-Squad3 on February 28th, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

Wait so you can turn into one of those by simply breathing in the spores?

+ hecTiur_ReTRo on February 28th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

Any upcoming news about the multiplayer?

+ VVaspInatoR on February 28th, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

Fungus among Us

+ SolduNuts on February 28th, 2013 at 4:15 pm said:

This game had my complete attention before the PS4 announcement, but now I must split my focus. This game is going to rock and I cannot way. Keep up the great work ND.

Sold.

+ Cubism on February 28th, 2013 at 4:45 pm said:

I love watching BTS videos like these. ND did a great job with Uncharted BTS, can’t wait to see more on Last of Us…after finishing the game of course.

+ NotoriousGamer on February 28th, 2013 at 5:16 pm said:

I hope the game has better graphics by launch. It is too green in color right now. the last of us better be the best game u guys have ever made or every1 will be disappointing in u.

+ Pabloo1010 on February 28th, 2013 at 5:50 pm said:

The Infected make me feel uncomfortable! So very uncomfortable! UGHGHGH! Can’t wait for this game.

PAGE 1 2