PS4 - Destiny

Announcing Metrico, a New PS Vita Pub Fund Exclusive

Roy van de Mortel's Avatar + Posted by Roy van de Mortel on Mar 26, 2013 // Level Designer, Digital Dreams

Dear readers, we are Roy, Geert and Thijmen, soon to be known as Digital Dreams. As you’ve probably never heard of us, a short introduction might be in order. We’re from the Netherlands and we share a building with other game developers like Ronimo (Awesomenauts) and Vlambeer (Super Crate Box). We have a short history in AAA development but quickly found out that we wanted to start our own company and work on our own projects. As a small indie company we strive to create elegant and meaningful experiences in the form of downloadable console games. With that said, we are very proud and super excited to finally announce Metrico, a unique PS Vita exclusive!

Metrico centers around infographics, as you might have noticed from the teaser above. It’s an atmospheric puzzle action game that strives to create a unique mindset of its own. The idea has been in our heads for a few years, and was born out of noticing how beautiful infographics can look as an art form. It was reinforced by seeing that infographics have become increasingly important in contemporary pop-culture. While they haven’t made their way to videogames yet, we think it’s a place where they can work exceptionally well. This is not just because of their pretty aesthetics as much as it is about actively changing data and how that can be visualized.

Metrico has been in development for a while; we created several unreleased prototypes for ourselves to flesh out the design. Our last prototype won the Indiepub propeller Award in 2012 in the category of “Best Design”, after which we got into contact with Sony to develop the full game for PS Vita through the help of the Pub Fund program – and we are thrilled with the opportunity to do so! Especially because the gameplay mechanics of Metrico work particularly well in combination with the unique hardware features the PS Vita has to offer.

Stay stuned for screenshots, gameplay and other announcements surrounding Metrico. You can also find us on Twitter @MetricoGame and keep up with us via Facebook. In the meanwhile we are working as hard as we can to make it as awesome as possible! Let us know what you think!

+ punkmusic2009 on March 26th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

i just bought rocketbirds hbc its the best vita game ive played so far

+ snakeeyes211 on March 26th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

I like it

+ lisatsunami on March 26th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

Huh? Infograpgics? But, yay, more Vita games!

+ KidCommando on March 26th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

Looks really interesting.

Would be cool if there were real time statistics of how people play the game, inside the game itself.

+ killersense on March 26th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

looks cool. need to see more though

+ DaMann22 on March 26th, 2013 at 11:44 am said:

This games looks quite interesting. Will have to see more to better understand it but looks promising.

@1, RB:HBC is good but there are a lot other great games for the system.

+ LS_Lodofan on March 26th, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

Interesting. Waiting for more info!

+ ItsNymo on March 26th, 2013 at 11:47 am said:

Love the concept: Sometimes looking at infographs, I would see them as platforming levels. Seeing a game actually basing off that premise sounds pretty cool!
Can’t wait to see more of what Metrico’s all about & nice to see more Vita-exclusive titles!

+ Shin-Ra on March 26th, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

The music stood out for me just as much as the music. It hints at platforming and I wouldn’t be surprised if touch was used to manipulate the environment.

A teaser trailer done right!

+ DirjelJunshin on March 26th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

A game about… infographics?

Seriously?

You guys are crazy. Here, take my money. I’ll see you when you release it ;)

+ NinjaMicWZ on March 26th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

Looks cool. Seems like it will be a really unique platformer or puzzle/platformer. If that’s the target visuals, then it’s going to look great and probably play smooth.

Nice to play something different.

+ FriedConsole on March 26th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

I am going to guess this is a puzzle platformer since …well… it is an indie game.

Still looks cool and I love puzzle platformers but I wish indie games were a little more creative.

Roy van de Mortel's Avatar

+ Roy van de Mortel on March 26th, 2013 at 1:44 pm said:

We deliberately avoid the term puzzle platformer.
    There is still a lot of possibilities for innovation within platformers. Stay tuned and I hope we can convince you :)

+ Kattatonic on March 26th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

Looks cool, I can’t wait to see more and I agree with #4, something like what they did in Catheine with the voting so it would change the statistics/levels in the game would be interesting.

+ MatheusRuggeri on March 26th, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

Very weird.

+ whatisdelicious on March 26th, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

This looks awesome. Seriously, really cool style.

Small thing: I think it should be mandatory that all blog posts about specific games include price and date at the end in bullet-point form. If those haven’t been decided yet, that’s fine, but at least acknowledge it. I don’t like reading about a game, wanting to know when and for how much I can get it, then having to reread the post a couple times to see if I’ve missed it, decide that it just wasn’t included, then have to go to Google to look it up.

Really pointless waste of time when you could just include at the end of each post:
“Release date: TBD
Price: TBD”

Roy van de Mortel's Avatar

+ Roy van de Mortel on March 26th, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

Thanks and duly noted.
    Release date: TBD
    Price: TBD

+ Chems1919 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

The music is incredible. I hope the full game has music like that. I’ll keep my eye on this title for sure.

+ langdon on March 26th, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

<3 Pub Fund

~

@15 Such a great suggestion. Add a "Platforms: [PSP, PSV,PS3,PS4]" to that… it'll save so many needless comments.

+ Dinsouza on March 26th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

@14 Very weird, indeed. Love it! :D

+ Kchow23 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

Interesting…

+ gus_xl on March 26th, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

I honestly don’t know if it looks good or not. I don’t know what it was I just watched..

+ GeoDarky on March 26th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

This game is oddly interesting

+ GhostMachine1 on March 26th, 2013 at 1:36 pm said:

Is that how the actual game play will look like? If so, I’m in.

+ Kaddyshacks on March 26th, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

Diggin’ that music!

+ Neil on March 26th, 2013 at 2:07 pm said:

Reminds me of the Mad Men intro.

+ BioSpock on March 26th, 2013 at 2:27 pm said:

Its funny how that teaser and the promise of a game focused on infographics has made me a day one purchase.
As someone else stated, the music is awesome. That dark spiral at the end in particular was interesting and hope its a hint at a darker tone underneath the game. If not, still can’t wait!

+ avluis on March 26th, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

OK Digital Dreams, add another day one purchase from me! Looking forward to what you bring us to the PSVita, note: we are hungry for more games that are different from the pack!

+ Bicgoozgetten-69 on March 26th, 2013 at 3:08 pm said:

sound pretty cool! On my way to work I wish i could look at the video post on this site

sent from my PS Vita System.

+ Elvick_ on March 26th, 2013 at 3:43 pm said:

So is that how the game will look, because, awesomesauce. Nice animation.

+ whatisdelicious on March 26th, 2013 at 4:38 pm said:

@Roy van de Mortel: Thanks!

+ tusunami on March 26th, 2013 at 6:03 pm said:

This makes me happy to see more games for the PS Vita, if developers put there minds to it they can create incredible games for the PS Vita.

+ erico316ecw on March 26th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

i love this vita game!!!!!!! question why is so many indie turning to the vita???

+ HanGlacy on March 26th, 2013 at 8:46 pm said:

TOO MUCH INDIE GAMES IN PS4 AND PSVITA… YOU SHOULD FUCOS ON QUALITY GAMES NOT INDIE GAMES… QUALITY > QUANTITY SONY!

+ BioSpock on March 26th, 2013 at 8:54 pm said:

@HanGlacy
Money thrown into a game does not equal quality.

+ Rafi7234 on March 27th, 2013 at 8:53 am said:

As a person who works with data visualization in his day job, I’m totally intrigued. I love KidCommando’s suggestion about having the game be explicitly data-driven.

+ pokota03 on March 27th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

Hullo, Digital Dreams. Can’t wait to see how your game turns out. The idea of visualizations based on actively changing data is interesting. AudioSurf is one of my favorite games this generation, after all. Write me down as officially intrigued.

+ Sorandkairi on March 27th, 2013 at 4:52 pm said:

ummm… i just want to know where is the PS Vita Hulu app that was promised 6 months ago….

+ TUNA-EGG on March 28th, 2013 at 1:14 am said:

Game using infographics!? You have my attention :)