Uncharted 4

Guacamelee! Body Slams PS3, PS Vita April 9th

Graham Smith's Avatar + Posted by Graham Smith on Mar 26, 2013 // COO, DrinkBox Studios

We’re excited to finally announce our launch date and pricing details for Guacamelee! The game will be released on April 9th in the Americas, and will support Cross-Buy for $14.99. This means you buy the game once and get both the PS3 and PS Vita versions. And that’s not all… there’s also a Platinum Trophy!

With GDC being this week, and the IGF award nomination for “Excellence in Visual Art,” we also thought it would be cool to share some early concept art and video footage of the game, so that you can see for yourself how much things have changed. As you can see, Guacamelee! has really come a long way visually since its inception.

We began working on Guacamelee! in February of 2011. For the first two months, the game existed solely as a PowerPoint presentation and some concept art. Here’s the very first screenshot mock-up of the game from that presentation:

Guacamelee! for PS3 and PS Vita

We brought these materials and another game idea with us to GDC to gauge publisher interest in the two titles. Guacamelee! was clearly the more popular of the two ideas, and after returning from GDC we spent some time making a prototype to test out how the combat would work, and also took some time to make a “Target Gameplay” video in Flash:

This video was shown to publishers at E3 in 2011, and was also used as part of the materials that helped us get the Canada Media Fund award and actually have the funding necessary to make the game. You can see that most of the initial ideas for the game’s design have made it all the way through to the final product, with one notable exception being the “World of Nightmares”.

Since then, we’ve worked hard on pushing the game much further visually (going through about four style revisions), which can clearly be seen by comparing to our latest trailer, which you can see at the top of this post!

If you’re going to be at GDC, make sure to stop by the IGF Pavilion and say “Hi” to two of our amazing artists; our Art Director Steph, and animator, Augusto. Without them, Guacamelee! would not look as great as it does!

PAGE 1 2

+ eddieanton on March 26th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

Finally a release date!, i’m getting this day one.

Why didn’t the “world of nightmares” make it in?, can we expect it as DLC?, it looked way cool.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 26th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

The “world of nightmares” was going to be our 3rd dimension, but in the end it was resulting in too much work for our only artist to handle. For the sake of the release date we had to cut it.

+ eddieanton on March 26th, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

Can you play using the VITA as the sole controller on the PS3 during single player?.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 26th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

You can certainly do that. The advantage of using your Vita as a controller with your PS3 is always having your minimap on display via the Vita screen.

+ terrencec06 on March 26th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Game does look crazy fun.

+ Arkafazin on March 26th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

I have to ask on behalf of all other trophy hunters out there: Will there be two separate trophy lists for the PS3 and PS Vita versions like Sly Cooper: Thieves in time? Or will the trophy list be combined like Knytt Underground?

Either way, I’m really looking forward to this game and I plan on picking it up on Day 1! Thanks for your hard work, guys! :D

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 26th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

It is a combined trophy list, because, after all, who doesn’t love cohesion. :)

+ IzoGray on March 26th, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

Of course you can use the DLC name. Now I’m thinking about what kind of dlc it will be. A hardcore platforming run with food for monsters in the background with trophies???? Yes please

+ Airwalkinman17 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:34 pm said:

You had at me:
“Metroidvania”

Day 1 buy! Can’t wait to play this bad boy on my Vita!!! Very excited for this one :D

+ Kchow23 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

I loved Mutant Blobs Attack and I tried Guacamelee at Futureshop and had a blast! Looking forward to April :D

+ bitmuncher on March 26th, 2013 at 1:00 pm said:

Love the Cross-Buy, that´s the way to go. Day one for me!!!

+ plaztiksyke on March 26th, 2013 at 1:09 pm said:

Are the audio assets on the PS3 version lossless? Are the audio assets on the Vita version better than 128kbit/sec MP3/AAC?

Been noticing cross-buy titles have dramatically inferior-sounding audio sometimes, which is not worth $15 to me.

Does the game play in 1080p native on PS3?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 27th, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

Wow! An audiophile appears!

To be honest I don’t know the answer to your audio questions.. I’m just a lowly producer on the game. But I can tell you that the game sounds great to my humble ears!

I can tell you that the PS3 version definitely supports 1080p native, and runs at 60fps.

+ TheExiled12894 on March 26th, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

Looking forward to this. My Vita is ready.

+ AizawaYuuichi on March 26th, 2013 at 1:50 pm said:

Wow. You guys managed to give us Tostata as a playable single-player character, just as a lot of us asked for on your first post about this game. Listening and realizing fan feedback. You guys are awesome! Will definitely be picking this up!

+ NYPUNK88 on March 26th, 2013 at 2:07 pm said:

great…another reason to buy a Vita now. -_- lol the game looks awesome, can’t wait to check it out.

+ avluis on March 26th, 2013 at 3:04 pm said:

HEY!!! LLLLLUUUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Add another day one purchase for my PSVita!

Indies, I will soon join your ranks, but for now, I will support you with my day one purchases!

Mexican Supplex!
Brazo Piledriver!!

+ MickeyWard09 on March 26th, 2013 at 3:05 pm said:

I will buy this because of all the awesomeness Drinkbox has delivered in the past.

+ starscreamerx31 on March 26th, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

Really wish there was a pre order option For this game cause im gonna buy it day 1 anyway minus well just give you guys my money now.

+ PobkinHM on March 26th, 2013 at 3:25 pm said:

Wow can’t wait for this! My train rides are about to get a lot more interesting.

Is the co-op campaign available for Vita via ad-hoc?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 27th, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

The co-op is PS3 only, but you can use your Vita as a second controller when playing on PS3, and the Vita’s screen will show the game’s mini-map when you play in this way.

+ IIL0YDII on March 26th, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

Could you consider adding online coop for this game?

Same thing with Scott P. vs World great game,but for years fans have asked for online mode.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 27th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

Anything is possible if the game does well enough, and there is enough demand for online play!

+ Elvick_ on March 26th, 2013 at 3:46 pm said:

So will we be able to play the female through the core game? Even if it’s NG+ it would be nice.

+ Elvick_ on March 26th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

nevermind, i see the answer.

+ PhoenixDowny on March 26th, 2013 at 3:51 pm said:

Will World of Nightmares be added to the game on PS3 and PS Vita via DLC? Or might that be saved for a sequel Guacamelee game? Could co-op also be added to the PS Vita game via a downloadable patch or something?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 27th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

The DLC is being designed now.. You’ll have to wait and see!

+ DarkOne_PR on March 26th, 2013 at 3:52 pm said:

Cross buy u say? if u can push just a bit more and give ps+ a little discount…. ill be day one for sure!

+ Wozman23 on March 26th, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

¡Muchas gracias, Señor Graham, por la excelente noticia!

+ Tezcatlipoca_91 on March 26th, 2013 at 6:36 pm said:

Juan Aguacate for All-Stars!

+ Tarqosis on March 26th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

Been looking forward to this for quite some time. Love DrinkBox, and the art direction in this is just stellar. Can’t wait to jam on this, hurry up 4/9!

+ boboMELOSHE on March 26th, 2013 at 8:30 pm said:

You only have 1 artist!! WOW that is very impressive :D honestly makes me want to get the game even more to support u guys.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on March 27th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Don’t want to mislead you.. We have 1 environment artist (Steph Goulet) who was responsible for almost all of the backgrounds and environment / level art in the game.

BUT, we also have two Full-Time animators (Augusto Quijano, and Ben Thomas), and have had other artists/animators help us along the way in contract / internship roles (Jay Edry, Tanya Kozak, Tameka Small, Mathew Hijazi)

+ DoctorBaofu on March 26th, 2013 at 8:33 pm said:

Been looking forward to this one. Really loved the Tales from Space… games. And, cross-buy is always appreciated.

+ ihenshin on March 27th, 2013 at 10:40 am said:

Been waiting for this. This is perfect for Vita, a bonus is the cross-play for PS3 for me. Shut up and take my money!

+ RickDanto on March 27th, 2013 at 4:18 pm said:

Juan Aguacate as DLC for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale when?

Also, is the footage in the trailer posted on here based on an old version? I seem to recall the animation for the game being much better in the demos I’ve played.

+ RickDanto on March 27th, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

Oh wow. Disregard. I ended up scrolling down too far and saw the Target video by accident.

How embarrassing!

My first question still applies though.

+ Demonhunter84 on March 29th, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

Will Playstation Plus members be getting a discount? Even if there is no discount, I’ll be getting this next month with my $10 credit from Sony so it only comes out to $5. Surprised no one posted Holy Guacamole as Guacamelee is similar to Guacamole just flip the last words around. Also will a demo be available at launch? I like how it looks like it’s taking stuff from Mexican culture like Day of The Dead plus the artwork looks cool.

+ RiddyRiddy on April 3rd, 2013 at 1:04 pm said:

#25 T3DV0L70L1N4, if you can’t afford a 15 dollar game on a 250 dollar game console, you should not have a Vita. Either get your priorities straight or show that you actually give a damn about Drinkbox and buy the game day 1. You think these games are made for free?

+ dantedrive007 on April 13th, 2013 at 7:43 pm said:

first reaction:
trailer: wow this game looks fun maybe i might buy it
on purchase of game: ok lets see what happens
first 5 minute: omg this is gonna be one of my favorite games

you guys did a great job with this game truly i love it. i was raised around my stepfather who was mexican and i really respect what you have done with this game its fun and it pays respect to the luchadors and i give this gam a 10 out of 10 keep up the good work guys

+ Bladerunnertwo on April 17th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

Is cross-play avaible on this game for ps vita and ps3

+ Abeconar on April 18th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

Thank you guys for this AMAZING game! I’m having a great time!

It’s one of my favorite games and one of my favorite game soundtracks… Looking forward to see more Juan Aguacate’s adventures!

I’ll be buying DrinkBox Studios games day 1… regardless PS+ or not.

Congratulations :)