PS4-Infamous

Indie Adventure Terraria Coming to PS Vita

David Welch's Avatar + Posted by David Welch on Mar 28, 2013 // Producer, 505 Games

Your voices have been heard, and it’s my great pleasure to announce that after much discussion the teams at 505 Games, Engine Software, and Re-Logic have decided to continue our exciting journey together and bring Terraria to PS Vita! That’s right, folks – Terraria will be available to play anytime, anywhere. It’s almost like we never sleep!

terraria1

Ever since we announced that Terraria was coming to PS3, we’ve been overwhelmed by requests for a Vita version. We’re tremendous fans of the PS Vita system, and with its touch controls, dual analog sticks, gorgeous display, and robust online features, it seemed like a natural fit. PS Vita is a great platform for digital games in particular, and we couldn’t be more excited to be a part of it.

For those who haven’t heard of Terraria, it’s a sandbox adventure in the style of our favorite “Metroidvania” games – an indie darling on PC that has gathered an impassioned community and sold over two million copies.

As a sandbox game, it has all the endless possibilities you’ve come to expect – you can build with dozens of blocks and craft hundreds of items – yet it’s unique in how easy it is to pick up and play because of its platformer controls and familiar 16-bit graphics.

terraria3

The core of the game focuses on exploring the sprawling, randomly-generated worlds with their exotic biomes and deep underworlds, as well as slaying the hordes of monsters and evil bosses contained within. As you progress on your adventure you mine stronger ores with which to craft better weapons and armor, and collect magical treasures to help you become any type of hero you can imagine. Laser rifles, wands, potions, flamethrowers, shark launchers – Terraria has it all.

The true soul of the game shows in its multiplayer. Adventuring with (or fighting against) your friends in massive worlds is an absolute blast. Just like the PlayStation 3 version, Terraria on PS Vita will support up to eight simultaneous online players, along with competitive leaderboards and (extremely) challenging Trophies!

terraria2

The joy of Terraria is in its sense of discovery – you never quite know what is around the next corner. The game plays great in both small chips or large chunks of time — again, perfect for PS Vita. One thing is for sure – you’ll soon be racking up hours upon hours of gameplay time. In Terraria, the world is your canvas, so make it your own!

More details will follow, so stay tuned for further announcements. And if you have any questions, let us know!

108 Comments

+ Mando44646 on March 28th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

great news! I wasnt sold on getting this on PS3 but I am definitely getting this on mobile

+ JesteR1701one on March 28th, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

Extremely challenging trophies? I hope no grind trophies.

+ DracoBlade712 on March 28th, 2013 at 1:09 pm said:

This seems PERFECT for Vita, yet i cant help but wonder…is the vita version limited in anyway? I.E. smaller worlds/ less enemies etc.? I’m definitely interested in the game, heard so much about it but have never gotten to play, if the vita version is fully-fleshed out its looks like a must buy at least for me!

+ darthlego on March 28th, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

Is there any chance of cross-buy or a discount for buying both the PS3 and Vita version together?

+ Wakefulness on March 28th, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

I’M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! ^_________^

Man, I used to play this game once I came home from work and school and just had some me time. But, my PC was so weak it would crash on certain sessions. Now that I can play it on my VITA this means I can really enjoy it.

Thanks, 505 Games!

+ Zionine on March 28th, 2013 at 1:51 pm said:

@DJ_Tomato : Noone is asking the release date because we realize that this decision has just been made recently and they’re at the beginning stages. To set a release date too soon is a knee jerk move that should be avoided. Moving the release date backwards will make any bug in the game be pointed out as a “You guys should have kept the release date and fixed it up more!” and moving the release date forward will just be very disappointing.

+ Zionine on March 28th, 2013 at 1:54 pm said:

@PainOfSarrow : I suppose there isn’t an end goal.. There is a ridiculously difficult boss that they just added that will definitely take the help of some friends. Also, there is a platinum trophy, I believe. That’s as close as it is to an end goal. It’s supposed to be an open ended, sandbox-type game to have endless amount of gameplay.

+ BANDICOOTKING on March 28th, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

… happy

+ sinnedknight on March 28th, 2013 at 2:12 pm said:

Oh, I’m looking forward to this so much! I hope I get it for free because I already bought the PS3 version. If not, I’ll buy it again, anyway!

+ PainOfSarrow on March 28th, 2013 at 2:27 pm said:

Zionine ohh okay i dont really care for trophys or multi-player but i do like the sound of bosses. really wish it was 10 but after reading more reviews i may just bite at 15. il see..

+ dallow on March 28th, 2013 at 3:11 pm said:

And not a single reply was given… :(

+ bitmuncher on March 28th, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

That´s awesome guys, I make most of my making on the run… so even when I have the PC version and love it, the PS Vita is the ideal one for me!!! Thanks for your effort, you got my support day one!!!

+ tusunami on March 28th, 2013 at 4:04 pm said:

Games for PS Vita keep getting more & more exciting, a cross play feature would be a great fit. I’m going to wait until I get further info about this. because I would like to play this on my PS Vita!!!!!!

+ grbolivar on March 28th, 2013 at 4:52 pm said:

YESS!!! Now I want it FREE with PS+ ;)

+ xenosaga200 on March 28th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

awesome i will buy for sure on ps vita =)

+ MOCHIIIx on March 28th, 2013 at 5:07 pm said:

Nice!
Now waiting for Minecraft~

+ Cloud_X1 on March 28th, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

Just downloaded this on my PS3, can’t wait to play it. If I really like the game and the Vita version is cheaper and/or we get a PS+ discount for it then I’ll definitely buy it on the Vita . . . who am I kidding, if I like the PS3 version I’ll buy the Vita version as-well. XD

+ mmaher on March 28th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

Can we get a discount if we bought the PS3 version? And more people need to play this online with open worlds so we can all dig around together!

+ Cloud_X1 on March 28th, 2013 at 6:37 pm said:

WOW! It has a Platinum trophy! and so many other trophies! I’m loving the PS3 version and I WILL get the Vita version as-well.

+ TWODEEEE on March 28th, 2013 at 6:38 pm said:

@2

ive been having that same issue with my trophies, it shows them on offline mode, but when i try to sync it takes forever to load and when it does it wont show the terraria trophies, i was looking forward for them to pop up on facebook to get some of my other friends to notice the game and buy it, so i deleted my fb info thinking maybe that was slowing it down, now the issue is gone tho and it updated but my fb info wasnt on so it wont show on fb -_- lol

+ Cloud_X1 on March 28th, 2013 at 6:38 pm said:

@mmaher I saw an online option and clicked on the box and it showed an X. so does that mean I selected online on or off?

+ Cloud_X1 on March 28th, 2013 at 6:43 pm said:

HAHA I remember when people kept saying this game would come out on PS3 and now it’s not only on PS3 but also coming to PS Vita.

+ PrinceofXIII on March 28th, 2013 at 6:45 pm said:

amazing!!!!

+ TWODEEEE on March 28th, 2013 at 6:46 pm said:

@cloud_x1

when you select online your friends on your friends list can play with you and jump in at any time, and you wont be able to pause the game

if you select online and invite only, youll be online but no one can join without a invite

if you dont select either, you can pause the game and no one can join

there is no way for random people to join you which is kinda nice so they wont pop in and destroy your house or anything LOL but i guess some people would enjoy that

ALSO PS. minecrafts deal with xbox ends in may and notch said hes prepping for other systems aka PS3

+ Elvick_ on March 28th, 2013 at 6:52 pm said:

Cross play, especially local would be greatly appreciated! Cross save too.

So happy that this is happening. Definitely picking it up on PS Vita, probably PS3 too just because I’m so happy now. (have it on PC too)

+ Elvick_ on March 28th, 2013 at 6:53 pm said:

@70: That’s an issue with many new games. It’s Sony’s problem as far as I know, and they have to fix stuff on their end for trophies to start syncing properly.

+ mmaher on March 28th, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

@ Cloud_X1

I would imagine when the box is checked it means its online, but when I wait to pick a world the online side says it’s loading but no games pop up… I don’t know if it is a public style online or only shows friends games (that would be lame because none of my friends play this yet) but I just want to mess around with people and dig and kill monsters.

I could never get the PC version online when I bought it a couple months back and I can’t wait to play with a bunch of people.

LOL, and my girlfriend calls this game “Digging” and says this post I’m writing must have nothing but the words “dig dig dig dig dig digging digs.”

I love it.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 28th, 2013 at 8:04 pm said:

AGAIN ALL THESE GAMES ON THE VITA SO FAR ARE FUN AND FANTASTIC..BUT WE NEED SOMETHING AWESOME..EPIC AND JUST SOMETHING US HARDCORE GAMERS NEED..LIKE A GTA SAN ANDREAS OR SAINTS ROW,STARHAWK, MOTOR STORM, INFAMOUS, GRAND TURISMO AND OF COURSE THE MOST ANTICIPATED GAME..GOD OF WAR..THESE ARE THE GAMES THAT WOULD INCREASE PS VITA SALES IMMEDIATELY..SO THE QUESTION IS..WHAT IS SONY WAITING FOR?

+ nanaki85 on March 28th, 2013 at 8:09 pm said:

Now I can finally buy a PS VITA. :)
as for Terraria’s Online Game Joining Issue, they are fixing this! :)

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 28th, 2013 at 9:31 pm said:

cross play and cross buy and I’ll consider it.

Sony, keep up the good work. Bring me minecraft, super meat boy, braid, angry birds, fruit ninjas, monkey island 1 and 2 Special Edition, follow the light, and so forth. Bring me stuff like ridiculous fishing on psmobile for cheap.

Going forward, bring me TWD Season 2 and other upcoming indies day and date with everything else.

+ midnightshade on March 28th, 2013 at 9:40 pm said:

DAy 1…. I already own the pc version, just bought the ps3 version and will buy this for vita!!! I love your game!! More like this please!!!!!

Love the openess and weapon variety and sotn style platforming…. bring us more :)

+ ShardYu on March 28th, 2013 at 9:50 pm said:

YEHEY!!! SUPER THANK YOU GUYS!!!! Got Terraria PS3 and excited to get the Terraria Vita version as well!!!! :D I Hope you guys will add cross-save and cross-play support for PS3 and Vita versions :D Thank you!!! :D

+ Zionine on March 29th, 2013 at 4:28 am said:

Wow, this is turning into a system seller….

+ enyel2001 on March 29th, 2013 at 6:08 am said:

guys i never heard of this and i want to know if its cool or not thanks

+ Maxpower1096 on March 29th, 2013 at 6:56 am said:

Hopefully it will have cross-play, cross-save, and maybe even cross-buy.

+ avluis on March 29th, 2013 at 7:54 am said:

Add me to the Day 1 list of buys, thank you devs!! Get some PSVita love!

+ angibri2000 on March 29th, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

My son would approve! He’s never played this but he loves Minecraft…I may even need to tell him to get his own VIta! lol Keep them Vita games a’ comin’ guys!!! =)

+ Rozenholle on March 29th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

Yes! This is great neeews! I was waiting for this. As many have mention already, please make it CrossPlay and CrossSave and I will buy it day one.

@85 Yeah, CrossBuy would be great too~

+ Drakusbr on March 30th, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

I play this game since the leaked first alpha version (they used the final fantasy charset on the time), i brought on PC and surely will buy the vita version.

This game is totaly awesome!

+ Shadow_Enz on March 31st, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Cross Play, Cross Buy (for those who haven’t picked it up yet), Cross Save.

Absolutely desired.

+ moka_wind on March 31st, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

wow,i’m very excited to hear that,cuz I like this kind of game very much, such as Retro City

+ mhn5 on March 31st, 2013 at 8:25 pm said:

Brings back memories of playing Lamecraft on my old PSP.
It had some sort of error in which it just REFUSED to update,so I just started playing Homebrew games, as I could only play GTA:vice city stories and Syphon filter dark mirror. I had to stick to downloading homebrews.

+ JalenTheEpic on March 31st, 2013 at 9:50 pm said:

Sweet, I have it on my PC but I haven’t had much time to play it. This will allow me to have some terraria fun on the go. I can’t wait

+ Hooligantuan on April 1st, 2013 at 4:52 am said:

Hated Terraria. Entirely because of the 3-block height of the character. Everything takes 50% longer to do than a comparable activity in Minecraft.

+ TALLglassofWATER on April 1st, 2013 at 8:39 am said:

@91 terraria is only similar to retro city rampage in art style. They are two very different games lol, but I see were you are coming from: game quality before graphic “quality.”

I like to compare it to impressionist painting. Before Monet and Cezanne the world was obsessed with realistic paintings. Even when they started producing works of stylized abstraction they received more criticism than praise, they were virtually the laughing stock of the parisian aristocrats. Not much unlike the legions of call of duty players who despise “retro,” “art,” and “indie” games.

+ swagganoid32 on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:35 am said:

I can’t wait till it comes out for the vita when the release date!?

+ loveinspace on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:06 pm said:

When?

+ SSJ3Kakarot2000 on April 3rd, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

OMAHGIIEEEEE!!!!!!

\

+ jonapwnsftw on April 4th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

Psvita version release date plz this game is too good and will be better on the go :)

+ projectjhitman on April 4th, 2013 at 7:40 pm said:

I love you playstation u rooooooooooooooock. And nintendo go screw yourselves because playstation rules and has some balls.Nintendo systems couldnt support this if they tried for 20 years.Rock on playstation