PS4-Watch_Dogs

Tearaway: Unfold a New Adventure on October 22nd

James Spafford's Avatar + Posted by James Spafford on Apr 09, 2013 // Community Manager

Tearaway on PS VitaTearaway on PS Vita

Tearaway will be available on shelves and on PSN October 22nd! We can’t wait for you to get your hands on, and indeed in, our new game at the end of the year.

In Tearaway you’ll journey through a vibrant, living papery world, with a plucky messenger who has a unique message to deliver – to you!

As the papery world of Tearaway unfolds in your hands, you’ll be able to use your god-like powers to help your new messenger friend, iota or atoi, complete their very special delivery.

You’ll uncover a magical dimension inspired by folklore, and built realistically from paper that unfolds and comes alive before your very eyes. As you explore this world you’ll meet the papercraft creatures that live within it, help out strange new friends and encounter dangerous challenges.

We’ve designed the world of Tearaway to blend with our own through the unique features of the PS Vita, which allow you to help your messenger buddy to solve puzzles using the power of touch, literally breathe new life into this papercraft land, and reach up into the world using the rear-touch panel to see your fingertips appear inside the game! We think this is an adventure unlike anything you’ve played before.

Here’s a little more backstory on how Tearaway came to be from our very own doodle-meister and lead designer, Rex Crowle.

Normally a game has just one piece of box art, but we have two main characters for you to choose from – iota and atoi. Who should go on the front of the box then? It was an impossible choice for us to make, so instead of making it, we made a reversible double sided inlay, so you can decide for yourself! See both versions at the top of this post.

We’ll be back with more Tearaway news soon!

+ MarcoRelius on April 9th, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

Yes! Can’t wait!

+ ASC2175 on April 9th, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

Damm, you mean I have to wait? …….crud

+ PGabriel22 on April 9th, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

Yes! It’s a litle far away, but I’m so crazy to get my “Tearaway”!
Thanks for the update!

+ BansheeWrath on April 9th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

October?! Sigh. Well, at least I’ll have something to look forward to. Looks like an awesome game

+ Gorvi on April 9th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

Awesome! Day one buy for sure. :)

+ MakoSOLIDER on April 9th, 2013 at 9:10 am said:

“Tactile”-the most overused MediaMolecule word ever. Game looks fantastic though :)

+ Nates4Christ on April 9th, 2013 at 9:12 am said:

I’m very excited about this game. With it being an October release, this might be my Christmas present! It’ll be like unwrapping a gift as a game!!!

+ snakeeyes211 on April 9th, 2013 at 9:12 am said:

We’ll be two covers for the game and we got a release date:-) I am very excited to get my hands on this game

+ remanutd5 on April 9th, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

so that means after Soul Sacrifice we have to wait till september’s killzone mercenary release date for another AAA vita title? ok not so good but on the other hand E3 has to be about new games because we already know Killzone and Tearaway release dates.

+ Fardeenah on April 9th, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

please release a demo for the vita

+ wvnative on April 9th, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

This game is the perfect example of what’s wrong with the Vita, all the cool games force the use of Vita’s “unique features” *coughgimmickscough*

Gamers do not want rear touch, motion controls, we just want buttons and sticks. These unique features pull you out of the game…

James Spafford's Avatar

+ James Spafford on April 10th, 2013 at 3:53 am said:

Well, in Tearaway we’ve tried to make these interactions super integrated into the game experience so that they re-enforce the game’s aesthetic rather than pull you out of it.

When you use say the back touch or the microphone, they have an affect on the world that would make sense for a little world you are holding in your hands, rather than a disconnected thing thats just bolted on for no reason.

We’re also super aware of going over the top with them, so you won’t be using your god-like powers left, right and center, just when it makes sense. :)

+ Oisterboy on April 9th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

Collectors edition please!

+ sepherlawls on April 9th, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

@11 Hi, speak for yourself. I am all for creative, intelligent use of the rear touch screen. It works great in Machinarium. It works amazingly well in a mouse pointer capacity (browser) and I can see it being amazing in Terraria.

+ Zionine on April 9th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

So far…. away….

@9: I’m sure there will be great games in the in between… Soul Sacrifice will last a long time anyways. :)

I’m also excited for Terraria slated for the summer. But I realize that’s not a AAA game. ;)

+ Zionine on April 9th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Yeah.. @11: Fail.
Don’t speak for the whole of Vita community. There are games where they belong, there are those that don’t. If you don’t enjoy it, then stick to the games that don’t really use them.

+ BlueBl1zzard on April 9th, 2013 at 9:33 am said:

Wow media molecule, reversible box art? That’s actuall pretty cool, (and something digitial buyers can’t experience lol) what will you guys think of next. Oh and you guys’ showing at the ps4 event was pretty neat as well.

@wvnative you shouldn’t judge the game until you’ve had a chance to try it…

+ dodgedoors on April 9th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

@15 While I do enjoy all of the unique features sometimes devs can go a little overboard with them. In my opinion a lot was taken away from my enjoyment of gravity rush with the sliding races. Tilting the screen is amazingly irritating in my opinion. Doing it so much for 2 or so minutes really detracts from the game.

It is great to have these features, but I think if it is a main part of the game people should be allowed options. I still hold out hope that they will patch Gravity rush with the option of sliding with sticks instead of tilt.

+ xClayMeow on April 9th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

Nooooooooo! I was really hoping for a Summer release! Oh well, still a must buy for any Vita owner!

I went to the Tearaway talk at GDC by Rex Crowle and it was awesome. He showed off the “Paper Engine” behind the game and it was really impressive. Can’t wait for this!

+ guitarded77 on April 9th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

Woo Hoo!!! Release date!!! Only problem is that’s the busy time for game releases, and every penny I have is being saved for PS4 launch. Still gonna get Tearaway, just don’t know if it will be at launch.

Off topic: Can someone get secure WPA support going for Vita so I can use the online features on campus? I’ve read a lot of campus’s use secure WPA, and we can’t use our Vitas there, which kinda hurts sales.

+ lisatsunami on April 9th, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

Yes, please!

And, although I bought the Vita mainly on the fact of the second stick (hated the PSP slidey button), I vote with those who like all of the Vita’s incredible features being used. Don’t be such a stick in the mud!

I will play as Atoi. Looks like a slightly more feminine Link.

+ digeythedog on April 9th, 2013 at 10:00 am said:

I like the way this game looks! how many FPS does it run at?

+ Pabloo1010 on April 9th, 2013 at 10:03 am said:

Prediction :-

PS Vita Game of the Year
Handheld Game of the Year
Most Innovative Game of the Year
Best Platformer Game of the Year (Tied with Puppeteer)
Best Graphics Nominee
Best New IP Nominee

Bring him to PS All stars, and <3 Media Molecule

+ Metalsonic_69 on April 9th, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

@17

Gravity Rush’s sliding races were annoying at first, but I think people give up on them too quickly. For one thing, most people tilt the system too damn far and end up overcorrecting. For another, a lot of people went through the whole game without realizing you can “drift” by lifting one finger off the screen, which makes tight turns a LOT easier.

+ Elvick_ on April 9th, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

@11: Don’t speak for me. Please. I’m loving the ways they seem to be using them.

I don’t always like it, but I do when it’s done well and certainly wish for developers to try new things with these features that I enjoy when done right.

+ Elvick_ on April 9th, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

Anyway, thrilled to have a release date to look forward to! Sad it’s so far away, but I’m just happy it wasn’t pushed and is coming this year. :D

Can’t wait to play it. :D It makes me happy just looking at it.

+ xenosaga200 on April 9th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

great game for ps vita i can’t wait

+ CrusaderForever on April 9th, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

Wow, like nothing I have seen before. Looks really fantastic cannot wait to pick this up D1! Great work!

+ boxmyth on April 9th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

Bought. No question. The creativity and heart apparent in this game is amazing.

+ Stealthur on April 9th, 2013 at 10:32 am said:

Interesting choices for the character names. Any significance to them, other than being the C/C++ string and int conversion function names?

James Spafford's Avatar

+ James Spafford on April 10th, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

So, the word iota means ‘a tiny amount’, and in comparison to you, iota is really small – but more than that, the letters are sort of like the PlayStation button symbols IOTA – Square, Circle, Cross, Triangle… if you look on iota’s face, you can see these symbols, and therefore his name, are represented by his two eyes, nose and mouth!

atoi is iota reversed, and it means ‘to you’ in french, which is what both of these characters are trying to achieve – to deliver their message to you!

+ FarmFreshEggBoy on April 9th, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

October 22nd? Bah, bah I say!

+ CatatonicAlex on April 9th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

Do we get to choose the skin tone of the finger?

James Spafford's Avatar

+ James Spafford on April 10th, 2013 at 3:56 am said:

Absolutely!

+ YungShep on April 9th, 2013 at 11:52 am said:

lots of vita news today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ DRAQ-520 on April 9th, 2013 at 12:30 pm said:

Until October? well, that leaves enough time to finish Uncharted and Littlebigplanet, looking forward to it!! and at @11 I really enjoyed Gravity Rush, at the beginning the evasion and gravity slide were annoying, yet once you get used to them, they’re pretty good and make the game very exciting, especially in the battles against the rare nevis and DLC races.

+ tusunami on April 9th, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

It’s good to see more games coming out but just not games original IP’s, this is what’s going to propel the PS Vita!!!!!!!

+ ro-kurorai on April 9th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

Thanks MM. It’s great to see such creative minds get the time and resources to deliver their artistic vision without compromises. The reversible cover is greatly appreciated =)

+ mjc0961 on April 9th, 2013 at 3:16 pm said:

“We’ve designed the world of Tearaway to blend with our own through the unique features of the PS Vita, which allow you to help your messenger buddy to solve puzzles using the power of touch, literally breathe new life into this papercraft land, and reach up into the world using the rear-touch panel to see your fingertips appear inside the game!”

Ugh. You know what I want? A Vita game that uses buttons and analog sticks only instead of forcing inaccurate touch nonsense down my throat. I shouldn’t have to get stuck on the final chapter of Uncharted for 30 minutes because they replaced the final boss with a touch screen swipe QTE section that doesn’t even recognize your swipes properly. And I probably won’t even touch Tearaway now unless there ends up being a patch to introduce proper controls.

James Spafford's Avatar

+ James Spafford on April 10th, 2013 at 4:01 am said:

Check out the gameplay videos, maybe you’ll be surprised – it’s essentially a 3D action-adventure platform game, but one in which you are as much a character in the game as iota or atoi. Your little Messenger friend knows you exist, and you can use your real life abilities, like being able to reach into the world to poke it with your fingertips, to assist your messenger along their travels.

it’s a game about a journey that you are on with iota (or atoi) the two of you need to work together. :)

+ mjc0961 on April 9th, 2013 at 3:17 pm said:

@33: The evasion and gravity slide were annoying from beginning to end. That and bland, repetitive combat and a poorly told story made Gravity Rush one of my personal contenders for worst game of 2012.

+ Deadpoolian on April 9th, 2013 at 5:24 pm said:

Really excited about this game! Looks very creative and fun.

+ WILLDWILL-BR on April 9th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

Beautiful!

+ Elvick_ on April 9th, 2013 at 11:51 pm said:

@37: Get outta here.

+ TUNA-EGG on April 10th, 2013 at 3:59 am said:

“Not focused on combat but more on a puzzly-adventure-y kind of way.”

That just sold me onto this game! That and the fact that I love platformers!

+ JDilinger on April 10th, 2013 at 7:28 am said:

So many games to pick up. Not to mention the PS4 as well. Man, it’s going to be an expensive year.

+ GhostMachine1 on April 10th, 2013 at 10:07 am said:

Day 1 online purchase. :)

+ hongthay on April 10th, 2013 at 10:47 pm said:

My most anticipated Vita release this year, now that they have confirmed that Puppeteer is not coming to the Vita. Love Media Molecule.

Wish they would bring the One Piece Romance Dawn over to the US.

+ OmegaSpear on April 12th, 2013 at 9:16 am said: