PS4 - Destiny

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R on PS Vita Tomorrow

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar + Posted by Takeshi Yamanaka on Apr 22, 2013 // Guilty Gear Project Coordinator

It was love at first sight. This is my story of how the PS Vita version of Guilty Gear game to life, and why I thought PS Vita and Guilty Gear were a match made in heaven.

When I first opened the the dev unit for the PS Vita, I was seduced by the screen’s beauty: high resolution, saturated colors, and the quick response time all contributed to my next thought: “I’m sure 2D fighting games would look beautiful on this baby.”

That was when it all began. At the time I was the coordinator and director of BlazBlue, if only by title, so I wasn’t directly involved in the development of the PS Vita version; nevertheless, I heard stories from our dev teams and needless to say, they, too were impressed with Vita’s performance.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R for PS Vita

The idea of bringing Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus to the Vita was tossed around during meetings and in the office, but the general consensus of our top brass was that it wouldn’t have much of an impact, and the idea was shelved.

I think it was in Spring of 2012, a little while after Guilty Gear on the Vita was shelved. Our Arcade release of the game underwent major balance changes, (+R) at which point I was put in charge of the entire Guilty Gear project.

Development for the PS3 digital version of Accent Core Plus was already underway, so I knew I had to schedule the +R update for the PS3 and a +R release of Vita on our development roadmap.

Creating the game on Vita was not as much trouble as we had expected — the bigger issue we tried to solve was the fact that the Vita’s screen was 16:9, and the game was designed around 4:3. We did some research and played around with the camera to maximize the screen real-estate, but during all of our tests, the essence of Guilty Gear’s fighting style, which was, “Knock your opponent down, and go for the okizeme” was inherently lost in the transition. We made the executive decision to keep the game in its native 4:3 resolution.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R for PS Vita

Now, for the two most important parts in a fighting game: characters and balance.

In Accent Core, the characters were extremely streek-y, and a good player could in theory turn the match around from a single hit-confirm — it was indeed a very aggressive tuning. So the question became, how do we make +R using Accent Core as our foundation? I was presented with the choice of pushing the game further in the aggressive direction, or toning it back and sanding down the “unique” edges.

That was when the father of all that is Guilty Gear, Daisuke Ishiwatari, gave me his two cents. “There are two things that need to be emphasized in this update: Number one: It’s not a minor change. We need to give the game a fresh skin and feel. Number two: Why sand down the edges now when we’ve developed such a uniquely flavored game?”

In the end, we gave the weaker characters more weapons and options, and adjusted the higher tier characters’ battle style.

Lastly, characters. While there are no “brand new” characters, Kliff and Justice, formerly boss characters, are now added to the playable roster. And as much as I would’ve liked to see two overpowered characters thrown into the mix, we had to struggle with our balance tuning. My suggestion of giving them more supers was rejected instantly…

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R for PS Vita

I hope everyone in the states will enjoy +R as much as we enjoyed working on it. Since it’s technically the first time the game will hit its shores, let us know your thoughts.

Hopefully we’ll have more to show you soon… Real soon.

PAGE 1 2

+ Zionine on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

Exciting stuff. What’s the price?
I might pick it up, despite the 4:3 reso. It’ll definitely look great on the vita.

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

The game will launch at $14.99 on PSN for the Vita. Let us know your thoughts.

+ Gorvi on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

Is GG getting a retail release or is it going to be PSN only?

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

Currently, we only have plans for the PSN release.

+ gerneric123 on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

Online mode?

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:58 pm said:

Currently only AdHoc is supported. I apologize the trailer could be a little misleading.

+ Mister-Nep on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:26 am said:

Very much want to get this down the line, but when is the +R patch hitting the PS3 version?

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:58 pm said:

We are currently working hard to ensure the the patch is up to par. Hopefully we’ll have some good news for you soon.

+ ItaChu on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

this game should have came to retail :(

When is a new game being made …. dont stop making new games when a new console comes out id like to see this game remade again but with blazblue style :) and i hope blazblue doesnt end now that the new consoles are coming out

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

Given the climate, a digital release seemed like the more viable option for Guilty Gear. Sorry… :(

While I cannot speak on behalf of the BlazBlue team, as long as we feel the support is strong from overseas fans, we will push our boss to give us the green-light on projects. Keep your fingers crossed.

+ UnrealButcher on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

So what’s the word on a “Price Point” for this PS Vita version? Is it being treated like DLC, an HD remake, new game or what?

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:59 pm said:

It’s going to be $14.99. Treating it like an “HD remake” on the Vita.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

@Zionine:

14.99$ From what i read on PSNstores.com

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:00 pm said:

Glad to have fans on top of the news. You are correct, sir.

+ Aces73High on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:15 am said:

Do we know when this will hit the EU store? Will it be this week too?

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

What the guy below me said…

Unfortunately I have no word on the EU release as of now.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

@Aces73High:

No release date for EU unfortunately.

+ RyanSaotome on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:40 am said:

I never get why people make entire blog posts like this but don’t say the most important thing: The Price. How much is it?

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:03 pm said:

$14.99 on the PSN store. I’ll be more careful about including the price in future posts.

+ JimmyNEUTRON413 on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:43 am said:

sooo many FIGHTING games lately with all the ps plus fighters lately….it feels like the season of the Fighter Genre lol…If you’re into that than you have to be happy with this one… BEYOND

+ Zionine on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:50 am said:

I think I heard the 15$ price as well.. just wanted clarification from the poster.. but doesn’t look like he’s a reply- kind of person. Ah well. Looks like a good 15$ spent… Still have lots of cash from that March deal…

+ LJPvonzity on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:54 am said:

I swear this Ratchet & Clank: FFA for the Vita is taking forever.

+ Mojlnir on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:55 am said:

I can’t wait to get this, and yeah it’s $15 afaik

+ Adelflame on April 22nd, 2013 at 8:18 am said:

Now give us +R update for the PS3 version too! And throw a few GG avatars on the store for us to buy too ;)

+ Ujn on April 22nd, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

No retail? Guess I won’t be playing GGACPR on my PSP Vita.

+ IIL0YDII on April 22nd, 2013 at 8:27 am said:

Optimize game resolution for Vita screen? – Screw that! Just add bars!

+ eliseobeltran_us on April 22nd, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

Any news if there is a trophy support?

+ DarkOne_PR on April 22nd, 2013 at 9:22 am said:

retail and ill buy. screw digital only for full games.

+ Lance_Wayne on April 22nd, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

Just finished my FIRST play through of Bioshock Infinite and just have to give MAD LOVE to EVERYONE at Irrational Studios for a game that everyone should be experiencing if you haven’t had the pleasures of doing so yet!

+ Ryumoau on April 22nd, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

@20 thank you for such a meaningless and irrelevant post.

anyway, not really much into hardcore fighting games but i love the animation. won’t buy it but if theres a demo i might try that.

+ UncannySilk on April 22nd, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

Maaaaan people don’t play fighting games seriously on handhelds. Not even worth it.

+ ReaperXL7 on April 22nd, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

Love Arcs fighters, BB on Vita was fantastic and I am really hoping we will get Chrono Phantasma aswell. Really going to need some larger memory cards though Sony since space is becoming very precious.

Really cant complain about Vita at all if you love fighting games, hoping we get Injustice next.

+ Jotamide on April 22nd, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

Any words on the console patch?

Damn, the 2 versions should be cross-play! DoA 5 did it flawlessly, why can’t you ArcSys?

+ Mougurijin on April 22nd, 2013 at 10:41 am said:

Whew. For a second I thought this game might actually be coming out on EU PSN too. Looks like I still have no reason to spend any money buying a Vita yet, and probably for a long long long time judging from history of these games…

So 9 months later we’re close to getting P4A at last, now any idea when we might finally get GGXXACP for PS3 on EU PSN?…

+ Kurusichiano on April 22nd, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

As a blazblue fan i might be considering buy this one.

+ Shadow_Kamui on April 22nd, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

Can’t wait for playing this game. Have been so long since the last time I play GG so I am very excited to play again with Ky, Millia, Chipp and Zappa.
I will like to know if you are going to release a list of all the changed to the game ????

+ Kchow23 on April 22nd, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

I am confused, so is this a PS Vita native game? if so, how come it isn’t full resolution and also will it have trophies?

+ Shadow_Kamui on April 22nd, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

I forgot to mention how much I love this game soundtrack. This game have one of the best soundtracks I have listen on a game.
my favorite song is blue water blue sky. But I love to still in darkness and simple live and momentary live. ^.^

Takeshi Yamanaka's Avatar

+ Takeshi Yamanaka on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:07 pm said:

You have made my director, Daisuke Ishiwatari happy.

+ tusunami on April 22nd, 2013 at 11:52 am said:

It’s cool to see more games coming for PS Vita!!!!!!!

+ ChaosRaiser327 on April 22nd, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

UMvC3, Street Fighter X Tekken, and now this… on the go?!

Where do I sign up for this device?!

+ Elvick_ on April 22nd, 2013 at 1:03 pm said:

For the love of Blazblue, please put Chrono Phantasma on Vita as well. I will buy both the PS3 and Vita version. Like I bought CS Extend and all the previous games released on PSP along with PS3.

You know you want to. :D Persona 4: Arena would have also been nice on Vita. Dern Atlus.

Definitely picking this up.

+ Julimano on April 22nd, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

Now I just need a way to use a DS3 or arcade stick on vita and I´m good to go!

+ EmperorKorea on April 22nd, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

how about a brand new guilty gear?

+ GameOverComesAll on April 22nd, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

The game will have trophies (really guys, every game is required to), however it won’t have a platinum trophy.

+ lm_The_Boss on April 22nd, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

I wish i knew this was coming to vita before i got the PS3 version. I dont want to rebuy it again. I already got the PS3 version and even the PS2 version. I know its not +R though. Hopefully the PS3 patch comes soon.

+ oversevethousand on April 22nd, 2013 at 3:54 pm said:

I WAS going to get this, but then Chrono Phantasma was announced as PS3 only and my desire to support ArcSys went away with my dreams of a Vita version of it. I might still pick it up, but I’m still happy with BlazBlue for now.

+ PrinceofXIII on April 22nd, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

awesome stuff :D

+ rafael_martines on April 22nd, 2013 at 5:41 pm said:

Sad :( the blocked my comment… anyway what about the update to PS3 version?

+ cat9966 on April 22nd, 2013 at 5:47 pm said:

Oh look another fighting game for the Vita. It’s really hard to believe there is that big of a market for fighters on the Vita and yet apparently every company out there seems to think the world cries out for yet another one.

+ jedi8955 on April 22nd, 2013 at 6:39 pm said:

Any word on if it’ll be Cross Buy with the PS3 version? Or maybe a discount at least?

+ oZc-Gauss on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:52 am said:

Dude! Stop to create releases or adaptations of PSOne and PSP’s games, don’t be lazy and make an entire new game for Vita!

+ Jysmoker on April 23rd, 2013 at 1:48 am said:

NEED SOME HELP!!!!! I haven’t received the 10 dollars!!!!!!
I have spent $50 through April 1st 2013,but I haven’t received the email for 10 dollars .My id is Jysmoker.This is my e-mail address “jiaoyang0810@163.com.” Please help me to solve the problem.I’m looking forward to your recieve.

+ Hugo_Mundo on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

I would bought it AGAIN if i hadn’t the ps3 version and the PSP version of the game.
Why make the game 4:3 on Vita too? with those awfull bars on the sides.
I would buy a GG game when they stop looking only to BlazBlue and make a new widescreen HD Guilty Gear game.

+ dopeboy081991 on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:42 am said:

if i want to play a 2D fighter ill pick up tekken

+ Hugo_Mundo on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:50 am said:

2D fighter.
Tekken.
You’re kidding right?

+ Sevyne on April 23rd, 2013 at 7:17 am said:

How about making an actual NEW guilty gear, instead of squeezing the life out of one that has been out for years now? It’s funny how many years it’s been yet the game still needs balancing.

+ HomieHesAKlown on April 23rd, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

Full screen or it’s just not happening, even the PSP versions have full screen…

+ jayking21 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

Guilty Gear on my psV yes

+ Senile-Felines on April 23rd, 2013 at 7:08 pm said:

I wish i knew it didnt have online when i got it around 4 hours ago. That was a waste of 15 bucks.

PAGE 1 2