PS4 - Destiny

Quell Memento Sliding to PS Vita Soon

Lewis Boadle's Avatar + Posted by Lewis Boadle on Apr 26, 2013 // Art Director, Fallen Tree Games

In developing Quell Memento for PS Vita, we realized that the project was first started 20 years ago! You see, the game prototype was originally created on an Amstrad CPC computer, way back in 1993! Having said that, it was very different back then – it was called “Last of the Smileys” and was a lot more 8-bit in style. As we set about improving the game for a modern release, we knew that we wanted to have a much more unique visual style. After much discussion, we decided upon a gentle old-fashioned look, in part because we read that the human brain is more intelligent when it is relaxed.

Quell Memento is intended to feel familiar, and to evoke feelings of nostalgia. After all, a game called Memento is always going to be about memories! For this reason, we wanted all the elements to be recognizable from the real world (water droplets, pearls and roses, for example). This would mean, we felt, that the player is able to establish the rules of play quickly, because they know that a pearl is valuable, or that a thorn will likely burst a droplet.

We also decided that the puzzles would be set within an old abandoned house. What could be more peaceful than that? We designed the room to be an attic crumbling with decay. It took a while to get right, because we didn’t want it to be creepy or unpleasant, but we did want to arouse curiosity and make the player wonder “who lived here?”

Quell Memento on PS Vita
Quell Memento on PS Vita

The reason for this intrigue is that we had felt that a backstory, gradually revealed to the player, would help maintain their interest across the game (we have over 150 puzzles), and keep them going even when it gets challenging. An old man speaks to the player at intervals throughout the game and tells his story. His memories are a little muddled though, and he needs help to reorganise them and bring closure. As the player progresses through the nine chapters, the house transforms back to the way it was when lived in.

Things really clicked into place when we commissioned some beautiful music by composer Steven Cravis – a favorite of ours. He wrote a selection of soothing tracks that not only perfectly suit the story and style, but also actually help players to think.

Most games try to make you feel excited or stressed. We wanted to create a game that helped people unwind, maybe after a long day at school or work. The rear touchpad on PS Vita is a great way to play Quell Memento, as it means the screen is completely unobscured as you try to figure out the best way to complete the puzzles – although the Dpad and the Left Stick can also be used, if preferred.

Quell Memento on PS Vita
Quell Memento on PS Vita

We’ve tried to explore the core sliding block mechanic as fully as possible and in doing so we’ve added variations of the game rules based around things like light and electricity. As the player advances through the game, the mechanics layer up. Players will need to become smarter by letting the game train their logic skills.

Quell Memento is a very unique game, and we hope it finds a home with people who like ‘thinking’ games. Twenty years in the “making“ – does that make it the longest Vita game in development ever?!

+ joseqq on April 26th, 2013 at 1:31 pm said:

I’m not sure if it’s the longest Vita game in development but it is the one I am looking forward to the most aside from Velocity Ultra.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

Fantastic Joseqq! I hope you enjoy playing it as much as we did making it!

+ triple_lei on April 26th, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

I didn’t think a game trailer would take me on such a spiritual journey, but here we are…

I guess I’m getting this one…

+ Lewis Boadle on April 28th, 2013 at 3:22 am said:

A wise choice, triple_lei! :)

+ xClayMeow on April 26th, 2013 at 1:39 pm said:

I’ve played Quell on my iPad. Pretty fun. Of course, as such, someone is bound to complain about the Vita getting mobile ports. Still, as long as it’s priced accordingly, I don’t have a problem with such a thing.

As for the rear touchpad, how easy is it to use? I love using it for Jetpack Joyride because, as you mention, it leaves the screen unblocked.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:42 pm said:

It’s completely optional xClayMeow, and the game can be played via the stick or Dpad, if preferred. I quite like using the rear touchpad – as it keeps me clear of the screen.

Just to be clear, Quell Memento is an completely fresh game via completely new content. It is NOT a port of Quell or Quell Reflect.

+ Fardeenah on April 26th, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

looks fun but i wanna download it for free

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on April 26th, 2013 at 1:42 pm said:

Will keep an eye out on this one as it gave me that Alice Madness vibe (story wise).

Story looks interesting, gameplay seems simple, fun & challenging.

+ vanwinkle on April 26th, 2013 at 1:59 pm said:

This looks great. I played the first Quell game and it was really fun but I like how this one mixes up the objective of the puzzles a bit. Very nice.

I have to wonder, though; since the game is based on moving left, right, up, or down, why not put in support for the easiest method for it – the dpad? Seems like a given. If it is there, forgive me and let me know, but from the way you mentioned back touch I assumed that means it’s touch only.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

Forgive the confusion Vanwinkle – I should have made that clearer. In fact, I’ll edit the post to make it so!

The game DOES support Dpad and stick control.

+ DrApollo on April 26th, 2013 at 2:00 pm said:

Neato!

+ AiKaoriHime on April 26th, 2013 at 2:18 pm said:

I loved Quell (the first one) and this looks very promising! I will be buying this day 1!

Also was Runner 2: Future legend of Rhythm Alien canceled for the Vita? :(

+ anti-altair16 on April 26th, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

Doesn’t interest me but it’s nice to see the Vita getting more games. I really like the song in the trailer though!

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:44 pm said:

Check out the Quell Collection on iTunes, then, anti-altair! It’s by composer Steven Cravis.

+ SmokeAdellic on April 26th, 2013 at 2:24 pm said:

Is anyone going to address the fact a lot of people are having issues with the playstation store hanging up on them after the recent vita firmware update?

+ anti-altair16 on April 26th, 2013 at 2:25 pm said:

@AiKaoriHime

No, it was not cancelled. It’s coming out this summer.

+ lisatsunami on April 26th, 2013 at 2:26 pm said:

Was going to pass this up after I said my usual, “Yay, more Vita games” but I read @ 2′s response so I looked at trailer. Wow, it looks great. Good luck on this!

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:44 pm said:

Thanks lisatsunami! Much appreciated!

+ anti-altair16 on April 26th, 2013 at 2:37 pm said:

Hmm, after reading it, I’m kind of interested. If the game has more great tunes like the trailer, I would pay up for this day 1. I’ll have to see.

+ Elvick_ on April 26th, 2013 at 3:08 pm said:

Look good. Hopefully it’s priced well. And if it is I’ll be picking it up.

@10: I hope they fix that. Took me like 5 times to redownload Frobisher Says! so I could get the last trophy I need. Sucks.

+ D-Squad3 on April 26th, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

Keep them Vita games coming!

+ geneMag on April 26th, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

I purchased Quell and Quell:Reflect on my Android phone and they’re wonderful games. The sound design and the art style just works.

Definitely getting Memento. This one’s just gorgeous, plus there seems to be way more mechanics than before.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:45 pm said:

Thanks geneMag!

Yeah, we’ve really gone to town on this one. If you liked Quell or Quell Reflect, we are confident you will LOVE this!

+ Guimace on April 26th, 2013 at 5:06 pm said:

Great to see more and more PS Vita games coming.

Although the Vita has the power to do console-like experiences (and I saw those with Street Fighter x Tekken, Uncharted, etc), I really enjoy the smaller games.

So yeah, keep the indies/smaller PSN titles coming!

+ plaztiksyke on April 26th, 2013 at 5:55 pm said:

Loved Quell on my iPhone/iPad. THis looks like a nice improvement, and I’ll buy it first day if the price is right.

One thing that would add value for me is high-quality audio — something lacking on most iPhone games due to limitations on over-the-air downloads. Not a constraint on the Vita, so give us 320kbit AAC/Ogg please :)

Innovative use of the rear touch is also cool and helps increase the value proposition for us :)

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

Thanks plaztiksyke! Price is TBD, but it will be ‘reasonable’.

+ LURKING_WOLF on April 26th, 2013 at 7:45 pm said:

oh my god more crap for vita this was supposed to have awesome
games what the hell

+ RE_Player on April 26th, 2013 at 10:13 pm said:

Looks like a perfect Vita game for some on the go play.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

Hope so RE_Player!

+ TALLglassofWATER on April 26th, 2013 at 10:40 pm said:

seeing this just reminds me that the latest firmware made lumines malfunctional…. SONY FIX THE VITA FIRMWARE

+ Kchow23 on April 27th, 2013 at 1:53 am said:

Puzzles look kinda neat, hopefully it is priced accordingly.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

Thanks Kchow23! Price will be ‘reasonable’, but is TBD.

+ Gadirok on April 27th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

DAY 1 DIGITAL FOR PS VITA?

Sony! Where art thou?

HOW COME WE CANT PREORDER DIGITAL GAMES ON PSVITA!

Where is the bonus DLC for SOUL SACRIFICE FOR DIGITAL VERSIONS!!!!!!!

STOP IGNORING YOUR CONSUMERS AND GIVE UPDATES QUICKER!

+ GhostMachine1 on April 27th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

The music and the narration is amazing!

+ Lewis Boadle on April 27th, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

Thanks GhostMachine1! Steven Cravis is responsible for the music, and we used a fantastic West End actor for the voice-over. It adds a ton of atmosphere, I’m sure you’ll agree.

+ riseagainstme1 on April 27th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

Quell and Quell Reflect are two of my all-time favorite puzzle games, and this one looks epic! Is it also going to be coming to Android with Xperia Play control support like Reflect did? I want to get a Vita but I don’t have one yet and I loved playing the others on my phone and tablet.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 28th, 2013 at 3:15 am said:

Hi riseagainstme1! Great to hear that you’re a long-time fan!

Yes, Quell Memento will be released on mobile too. We advise you get a Vita, and then get it on mobile too ;)

+ d-disruptor on April 28th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

After I watched the game play video I said hmmm, that’s a neat little puzzler for the Vita. But after reading the dev speak on the game, I’m impressed and will be picking this up at launch. Bravo Sony for giving us a connection to the developers.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 29th, 2013 at 1:57 am said:

Agreed, d-distruptor! Great to be able to tell our story! Hope you enjoy Quell Memento.

+ PanTheMan16 on April 28th, 2013 at 9:56 pm said:

Are there any plans to make this playable on PS3? After seeing this post, I tried out Quell on my phone and I really enjoyed it. I don’t own a vita and would love to play Quell Memento on my PS3.

+ Lewis Boadle on April 29th, 2013 at 1:58 am said:

Glad you liked Quell. PanTheMan! No immediate plans for a PS3 release, but you never know. Quell Memento will be available in May on PS Vita and mobile.

+ tusunami on April 29th, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

This is a cool puzzle game, that will not go unnoticed.