PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Wash Your Hands! Men’s Room Mayhem Coming to PS Vita

Phil Gaskell's Avatar + Posted by Phil Gaskell on May 02, 2013 // Creative Director, Ripstone

Men's Room Mayhem on PS Vita

Hi PlayStation.Blog fans! My name is Phil Gaskell, I’ve worked on games such as Super Stardust HD, and Dead Nation. These days I run an indie publisher called Ripstone. We helped teams like Voofoo Studios launch Pure Chess last year, and more recently Big Sky Infinity and Knytt Underground. We love indies and we love PS Vita, and I can’t wait to share with you some of the awesome shizzle we’re working on this year!

Today though I’m very proud to announce a game we made together with Sawfly Studios, a team of talented guys who are ex-Studio Liverpool. The game is called Men’s Room Mayhem, and as you can probably guess from the title it takes toilet gaming to a whole new level! If I had to sum it up in a single sentence I’d say it’s like Flight Control meets Carry On At Your Convenience!

Men's Room Mayhem on PS Vita

In Men’s Room Mayhem you’re hired as the janitor of your very own chaotic men’s room. You’re responsible for directing patrons, keeping everywhere sparkling clean and steering patrons away from trouble! You need to get your customers safely to the urinals and cubicles in time – otherwise there’ll be a few nasty accidents for you to clean up! Avoid fights by strategically steering patrons past each other with pinpoint precision, but be careful, as the waves increase the patrons pile up fast – so mind your pees and queues! (did you see what I did there?). All this is done using simple line drawing gestures on PS Vita’s 5″ touch screen.

Extra points are scored for maintaining proper men’s room etiquette as well as for demonstrating good personal hygiene. And this links to nicely to how I came up with the idea for Men’s Room Mayhem. It really comes from the whole notion of there being men’s room etiquette. Like most good ideas it started with several pints of ale at a local bar with my friends. When I inevitably went to point percy at the porcelain I had a moment of clarity. I realised I was subconsciously following a set of rules for using the little boy’s room. If there was nobody in there I used the urinal furthest from the door, I always left a gap of one urinal between me and anyone else in there and if I couldn’t leave a gap I used the cubicle!

Men's Room Mayhem on PS Vita

Nobody ever taught me this, not my Dad or my friends, it was a set of behaviors I picked up over time — or perhaps it’s more deep-rooted than that (the boffins would say it’s connected to our prehistoric ancestors and being at our most vulnerable when we’re doing our business). This sort of psychology fascinates me, so I thought it might be fun to make a game of it – partly to see how many other guys don’t realize they follow the rules, and partly to let all the ladies know us fellas have a certain code of conduct in our washrooms too y’know!

Stay tuned for some more screenshots and details on the game as well as the launch date and the price. You can follow us on Twitter or Facebook for updates too. Until then, just remember to wash your hands!

PAGE 1 2

+ TwinDad on May 2nd, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

I should let you know that in the US, the toilets are not called cubicles, they are called stalls.

A cubicle is a place at work with a desk and computer. While I’m sure stall brings up a horse barn, it’s what we call them.

(I don’t think I’m wrong here am I?)

Phil Gaskell's Avatar

+ Phil Gaskell on May 2nd, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

Good call. Funny how those little differences can make a big difference!

+ cosmis_chaos on May 2nd, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

Some of you are the rudest gamers EVER.You are telling them that their game is crap before even hearing more about it and knowing more about it and telling them it is a waste of time? I mean didn’t your mothers teach you guys any manners? I mean there is a limit to how much crying and moaning before you start sounding like bunch of spoiled @$$holes.I mean you keep asking for VITA games and turning everyone of them down that ask why doesn’t the VITA have any games.Are you backwards or just stupid?

+ Guimace on May 2nd, 2013 at 1:29 pm said:

wow, *everything* is coming to PS Vita now. :P

+ xClayMeow on May 2nd, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

@Phil RE#39:

You must have never been to a sporting event or large convention if you don’t think long lines/queues in men’s rooms don’t exist. Etiquette goes out the window then.

Phil Gaskell's Avatar

+ Phil Gaskell on May 2nd, 2013 at 3:09 pm said:

Lol is it then acceptable to use the sink? :)

+ lisatsunami on May 2nd, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

@53, cosmis, your comment is the most spot on so far. I love the Internet but wouldn’t miss some of the cowards who use the anonymity to try their hand at being rude bullies.

Anyway, Journey is an indie. Unfinished Swan is an indie. While I can do with less indie platformers, which seem to make up 90% of that niche, I want and need more indie games.

Sorry, Phil, we Americans can be a pretty rude lot sometimes, but we’re all not like that.

+ Newtypemo on May 2nd, 2013 at 3:28 pm said:

@56, Well said. I for one am happy to own a Vita and will ALWAYS be glad to own one. With all the games out right now, new and old, not only do we have a plentiful selection, but we also have more coming down the pike. So with that, I say bring ‘em on!!

+ Ryumoau on May 2nd, 2013 at 4:59 pm said:

@56 don’t lump a whole culture together like that. Could you possibly sound more like a condescending d-bag?

+ Sephir007 on May 2nd, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

George Michael DLC FTW!
Make that happen, please, and yes I’m not kidding, hehe. ;)

+ Drakusbr on May 2nd, 2013 at 5:59 pm said:

If the price is right, WHY NOT?
Looks a cool and fun indie game, and for all that crybabies, go play some generic stuff, please, open minded ppl are having a nice conversation here.

+ tusunami on May 2nd, 2013 at 6:19 pm said:

This is exactly what’s needed on the PS Vita more original games like this touché!!!!!!!

+ DaGimp13 on May 2nd, 2013 at 6:29 pm said:

@ Phil Gaskell

George Michael in a WHAM! T-Shirt is A MUST for this game….also Sen. Larry Craig hahaha maybe combo pack DLC?

+ Jizza-Boi on May 2nd, 2013 at 8:48 pm said:

Man, the types of games we get lol, But this does look fun…What’s next? A race to see who can wipe their behinds with Toilet paper first?

+ rscayab2064 on May 2nd, 2013 at 9:25 pm said:

Looks entertaining. I’ll get this one if its less than $5.

+ ImSoHappy77 on May 2nd, 2013 at 9:26 pm said:

I’ll have to give this one a go! Could be a lot of fun and who doesn’t like a comedy filled game.

+ CecilMcW00t on May 2nd, 2013 at 10:36 pm said:

XD This looks hilarious! But will there be actual “accidents” on the floor to clean up? I don’t think I’d be down with that. I had some bad experiences working at a grocery store… :( Don’t want any flashbacks.

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 2nd, 2013 at 11:12 pm said:

Ryumoau on May 2nd, 2013 at 4:59 pm said: “don’t lump a whole culture together like that. Could you possibly sound more like a condescending d-bag?”

Goofus strikes again.

Will you ever stop shooting yourself in the foot? Probably not. You should try a mirror sometime, son.

+ Stranger_Eddie on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:12 am said:

Next Game (sequence): “How to clean up after poop!”

+ plaztiksyke on May 3rd, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

I think this is awesome, and shows that Sony’s T&Cs are more flexible than on some other platforms where something this amusingly crass (but very relatable!) would probably not be allowed.

I love the more arcade-y or “casual” games on Vita, so long as they have some technological distinctiveness from their iOS/Android brethren. High quality audio assets, Near goodies, dual sticks, rear touch, AR, etc are all things that make me buy games on Vita even if I’ve bought them on other platforms previously.

One question, any drag queens come into the bathroom like in the movie Trick? That would be *hilarious* — especially if you got the same actor from that movie (aka Miss Coco Peru).

+ GoQbert on May 3rd, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

Great idea!
I love seeing these indie titles make their way to the Vita. My Vita was largely collecting dust until small original titles like this started to appear. Games like this will hopefully help it carve a niche in the market, both for for the Vita and PSN.

+ kuwait29 on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:56 pm said:

Wow sony really dropped the ball with the vita !! This is the reason why everyone think the vita is a joke !! because of games like this ! Stop this crap and make real good games for it

+ kuwait29 on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:59 pm said:

the Vita doesn’t need thus games ..and shame on sony if they just want to put any games on the vita so they can fill the void !! i rather wait for great games instead of getting crappy games like this ! In my opinion the main reason why the Vita is struggling is because Sony continuous to support the PSP in japan , thus games are still made for the predecessor instead of the successor ,The main strength of the PSP came from 3rd party Japanese developers specifically JRPGs genre ! I really really love my vita but I just feel Sony is letting it fade away

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 4th, 2013 at 6:40 am said:

Hahaha I’m liking the concept of this game and how passionate you guys are about developing it, I’ll pick this one up if it’s reasonably priced.

@lisatsunami even though this is the US PS Blog, I would assume quite a few people here aren’t American, so I think it would be more accurate to say “we Gamers can be a pretty rude lot sometimes, but we’re all not like that.”

P.S. And you should definitely lose points for neglecting to wash your hands!

+ UnclePhil2K on May 7th, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

I have trouble believing that this ISN’T some kinda April Fool’s gag. An actual developed TOILET GAME. I cannot even find the proper words here!!

+ Riko_player44 on May 9th, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

Ok i see this smarthphone game :( but where is the reals games like : Rachet & Clank Q force on PS Vita ??

PAGE 1 2