PlayStation Vue

May 30

Killzone: Shadow Fall on PS4: Conversations with Creators

Steven Ter Heide's Avatar Posted by Steven Ter Heide on May 30, 2013 // Game Director, Guerrilla Games

With Killzone Shadow Fall, we are part of an exciting line up of launch titles for PS4. This is both daunting and exciting, but a good feeling to have!

Since the game’s announcement earlier this year at the PlayStation Meeting 2013, we have been hard at work on Killzone Shadow Fall. At the event, we were able to give you a brief glimpse of the direction we are taking the game with live on-stage gameplay. The demonstration focused on setting up the new conflict between the two warring factions that now occupy the same world, we are very much looking forward to sharing more of the exciting new gameplay opportunities soon.

Today we are happy to show you a developer diary as part of PlayStation’s Conversations with Creators. In this video, we briefly talk about what it means to us to be a launch title on this new platform.

Killzone: Shadow Fall is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release, and will be available exclusively on PS4.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Shin-Ra on May 30th, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

It’d be cool to have an option to switch the DS4 lightbar from health (fade green to red) to muzzle flash with matching colours.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on May 30th, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

I have the following concerns about Killzone

1) No ability to go prone. This was there in Killzone 1, but the option was taken away in Killzone 2 and kept away on Killzone 3. The higs are able to go prone in Killzone 3, why can’t we (the player) do the same? It’s perfect for sniping and it’s there on other major FPS (COD, Battlefield, to name a couple)
2) No objective co op. Killzone 3 brought campaign co-op, which was welcome, but no “spec op” modes and objective co ops. Those are fun modes in other First and Third person shooter games and it’s pretty much expected nowadays. Will Shadow Fall include those modes?
3) Online AND offline multiplayer. Killzone 3 brought offline, split screen co op, but, inexplicably, no online co op. Also, my friend and I couldn’t login to a deathmatch using splitscreen (like warhawk for example). This would be a much welcome, and pretty much expected, feature in 2013

+ Wollan on May 30th, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

Will KZSF be a Destiny killer?

+ LandmineSalesman on May 30th, 2013 at 10:30 am said:

Killzone and Destiny are two very different games Wollan :P

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on May 30th, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

MUST HAVE ..DAY ONE..GAME FRO THE PS4…when ever i feel like the PS4 is a MUST HAVE SYSTEM..JUNE 10 will either make me HATE IT or LOVE IT..:/

+ Shin-Ra on May 30th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

Actually, even better than just copying the muzzle flash pulses directly, if you could somehow sample all the light that hits the character’s fingertip area and mirror that through the lightbar, you’d get similar light bouncing off your own fingers.

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 30th, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

Definitely looking for to this! Two questions though:

1.Will this support PS move? >90% of the time I played KZ3 I used the Move and loved it. It had the best use of move (and navigation controller) in any shooter in my opinion, and had some of my favorite use of move in any game overall : )

2. Like mdyer2 asked, will there be splitscreen multiplayer? My brother and I used to play KZ1’s multiplayer like crazy, so we were disappointed to see it wasn’t included in KZ2. KZ3 had splitscreen support (and Simulview as well) in the ccampaign, but none in the botzone mode. Please offer some kind of offline splitscreen multiplayer mode, and if you manage to have online splitscreen as well that’s even better!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I can’t wait to get my hands on the game come holiday season!

+ ShadowHogs14 on May 30th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

DAY 1 buy me love killzone series now

Steven Ter Heide's Avatar

+ Steven Ter Heide on May 30th, 2013 at 11:02 am said:

Guys, its time for me to get back to making the game. Thank you for your excitement, we hope to provide more answers to your questions soon, and more importantly, show you what we’ve been working on.

+ RecklessOnion_ on May 30th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

If you guy’s not going for 60fps, can you at least have an option to unlock the framerate so we can lower the resolution and have higher framerate? I dont care about vsync

+ RecklessOnion_ on May 30th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

And less input lag ;)

+ KwietStorm on May 30th, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

Please bring back all the multiplayer features you removed from KZ2 or this exciting release will have to be ignored for Battlefield 4. KZ3 lost all of the character from 2, and the multiplayer resulted in a very flat experience. Spawn grenades, gun recoil, custom secondary badge, weekly honor ranks, motion blur, ALL missing from Killzone 3. But we gained worse map design and that horrible spawn system that begs you to base rape. Please change these back.

+ snakeeyes211 on May 30th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Thanks for the link to the tech specs it really makes me understand what’s going into this game and how much I’m gonna get out of it ;-)

+ IrishDude2 on May 30th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

EU would like some replies now ;)

+ TrojanBlade on May 30th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Everything looks great. I hope you guys make the MP more similar to KZ2 instead of KZ3. A lot of the KZ2 faithfuls were hugely disappointed when GG tried to bring in COD players with KZ3 and thus win neither of them and the online community for KZ3 died pretty quickly. Can’t wait to see more at E3 and hopefully MP details with it.

+ xX_KZKiller_xX on May 30th, 2013 at 11:31 am said:

Hi Steven !

Can you tell us more about the Helghast girl Echo ?
I saw her name in the PS4 website,but she isn’t mentionned anywhere else,as far as i know…

My requests for KZ : Shadow Fall are :

-More maps then in KZ3

-A main character with a strong story,not like Sevchenko

-And finally,a great artistic environment,as a modeller,i always play games to get inspiration,Killzone 3 was mindblowing for me,i even attempted to make some parts of Bilgarsk boulevard map xD

+ Shin-Ra on May 30th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Thanks Steven!

+ Mirai_Zero on May 30th, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

Rico should receive pubic execution to appease the Helgeist for destroying Helgan

+ JROD0823 on May 30th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

Wow, not only impressed with how good this game looks, but with the amount of feedback you are giving the community today.

Killzone is definitely in a league of its own. Forget about being a CoD killer, this franchise defines what a FPS should be like and Shadow Fall looks to be giving us a glimpse at what the next generation of consoles can do to advance the genre.

This game is looking to be a day one purchase for me, I can hardly wait. :)

I look forward to seeing more from you and Guerrilla at E3 in a couple weeks, keep up the excellent work!

+ D-Squad3 on May 30th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

PLEASE get rid of the input lag that KZ2 and KZ3 had (yes Killzone 3 still had it) the update did not fix it. The input lag/underwater feeling is definitely what killed Killzone for me. I want precise aiming which is found in most other FPS games.

If the input lag is still in Shadow Fall you can count me out!

+ plaztiksyke on May 30th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

are there any GLBT characters in the story? playable?

will the audio be bluray-quality (24-bit/lossless), finally? I’m almost looking forward to real dynamic range and proper surround imaging than the 1080p aspect ;)

here’s another vote for same-screen co-op multiplayer with a story (like Uncharted 2 co-op adventure), or for using the Vita as a second player involvement during the campaign.

+ Istyle318 on May 30th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

Please let Ms. Angie Smets speak or be on stage with this game. the media is always trying to act like Sony doesn’t have women working on games/franchise/etc. Can’t wait for this game and bring Rico back. I also hope you bring the animated melees back they are cool in 2d and 3d, hopefully in 4k

+ OneMoreVillain on May 30th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

@Steven Ter Heide

Thanks for sharing all the information you could with us and answering the questions. In honor of this I will spend the night using Radec in Playstation All-stars Battle Royal.

+ Elvick_ on May 30th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to playing this on PS4. I can’t wait to play a next generation shooter, it being in the Killzone franchise makes it all the more sweet. :3

Also can’t wait to play Mercenary. I just hope that Sony doesn’t let PS4 and Killzone: Shadow Fall overshadow Mercenary.

+ tusunami on May 30th, 2013 at 12:43 pm said:

Long live the Helghast can’t wait to get back to the fight!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Kchow23 on May 30th, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

The only thing that I disliked from Killzone 3 is the weak story… you guys have been gradually improving so I hope that this one will be far better than previous games. Moreover, I noticed that on Jimmy Fallon… you guys were still using R1 to shoot are you guys not going to make use of the new triggers for shooting or you haven’t made the change at that point?

+ SHINSPIKES on May 30th, 2013 at 12:51 pm said:

Move support with no lag? 32 or 64 players online?

+ SHINSPIKES on May 30th, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

Please fix the soldier walkin down the stairs during the demo. He looks so fake and weird, bouncing so quickly while walking down.

+ Veringetorix on May 30th, 2013 at 1:02 pm said:

Any chance for custom mapping of controls? Can we disable slow motion feature? Will you support mouse and keyboard? Please Guerrilla, do not “mainstream” or dumb this game down. Do not turn it into a Michael Bay movie/COD game. I will probably wait a year before I buy the PS4 since I just built a gaming PC, but I am looking forward to seeing the game. Lastly, I hope the MP is more balanced than it was in KZ3. You guys really hit the nail on the head in KZ2 in the balance department. Look forward to the coming months.

+ OneMoreVillain on May 30th, 2013 at 1:03 pm said:

@73 I really enjoy the single player but yea the actual story is not as captivating as the gameplay. Also Steven replies to post #38 and says the “R2 is a good default” so I think that might answer your question.

+ GeoDarky on May 30th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

This is going to be my main shooter on PS4, great game guys

+ Wofuljac on May 30th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

I hope I’ll hear something about Hakha from Killzone 1, he was my favorite character in the whole series and the game never said why he betrayed the Helghast.

Anyway, will we find like recordings or papers to read to get us more in the world and learn more about the lore in the campaign, I love that stuff in games :-)

+ NYPUNK88 on May 30th, 2013 at 3:14 pm said:

PS4 & KZ:SF Day 1! #PS4NoDRM

+ SpLinT on May 30th, 2013 at 3:52 pm said:

How will the light bar work with the health?> For example, will it show 1/4 of the bar full during low health or maybe blink during low health? I also thought you couldnt see the light since its at the front of the controller.

Also it looks like the second guy that you throw your knife at has a shield (?). Is that what it is?

+ Carl-G on May 30th, 2013 at 4:22 pm said:

I know this might sound out dated to everyone :D but is there any chance of a 4 player Split-screen mode with bots in KZ:SF??? Because ‘NO’ FPS game this-gen?!?!(MAD I KNOW) on any console has that sort of mode :-/ It’s a crying shame it really is because some of the KZ2 & 3 levels would have been ACE in 4 player split-screen mode. Oh well :-(

+ Trevelyan on May 30th, 2013 at 4:23 pm said:

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the post. I’m pretty excited for SF, but have one question. Do you know if you guys will open up the battlefield more? Allow for smaller sandbox style encounters that we can tackle how we see fit? Thanks!

+ redj944 on May 30th, 2013 at 4:44 pm said:

Im super excited for the ps4! But ive never really played any of the “Kill Zone” Games, excluding the Kill zone for the psp, wich i got for free during the PS network down time. But what ive seen and heard from this game is quit interesting, i quit agree with your Plan to make objects climbable, as that will add a new depth to the game, quit enjoyed the Uncharted series :). i wish you all the luck in the world to make this game Grate, as i can see its on its way there in a hurry as of now :D

+ TooTall19 on May 30th, 2013 at 5:15 pm said:

Partial Nudity?

+ FredNation on May 30th, 2013 at 5:31 pm said:

Can the weapon trigger be R2? Or does it have to be R1 still?!

+ GhostMachine1 on May 30th, 2013 at 6:14 pm said:

Will it support the move?

+ tb_jp on May 30th, 2013 at 8:30 pm said:

First off, let me say that I am a huge Killzone fan and I am looking forward to Shadowfall quite a bit. However, one thing I didn’t really like in this insight was that the PS4 doesn’t allow you to do anything new, just not have to choose between techniques and you can now just add them all together. As a developer myself and a veteran in the film industry where we don’t have the constraints of real-time there are STILL things that we can’t do with today’s computers without it taking weeks/months on end. Future computers will open the doors for more VFX that weren’t possible before. The same goes for the PS4, to say, as a game designer, that it doesn’t open up new possibilities seem like you either lack the imagination that the new power gives you or that you haven’t yet fully explored the gameplay innovations that you can make that weren’t possible before..

What’s particularly disappointing about this statement is that this appeared in a video supposed to promote the PS4. It was technically a misleading comment. There _are_ things that you can do now that you simply couldn’t do on the PS3 in a 3D environment.

+ tb_jp on May 30th, 2013 at 8:31 pm said:

Having said that, I’d like to again say that I love the Killzone franchise, but I am expecting innovation from you guys, and not just combining things that you have done before to create just an evolved product. You also just mentioned graphic techniques in your comments, which is the most misleading comment about the next-generation because there’s so much more that will be possible than just prettier graphics and I really hope you guys realize that and are working to take advantage of that.

+ NoPity_21 on May 30th, 2013 at 8:36 pm said:

Ps4 ftw!

+ ANUBIS209 on May 30th, 2013 at 9:25 pm said:

Can you please put back the secondary fire for all weapons like you did back in Killzone 1 that was so fun shooting primary to secondary you guys taken that away in all the sequels but showed it on your CG Killzone 2 PS3 trailer.

+ neuropunk on May 30th, 2013 at 10:41 pm said:

Generic shooter #784,937,298. Wish video game developers wouldn’t keep on churning out the same chunky junk.

No plans on ever buying another ShooterStation. I used to buy Sony consoles for proper turn based JRPGs. So, what the hell happened?

+ KGH on May 30th, 2013 at 11:13 pm said:

KEEP RICO. The ethnic diversity is most welcome. Other than that, I really don’t see what the deal is on why people hate him so damn much. I say, what ever you guys do, don’t kick Rico to the curb if thats even considered.

+ Welmosca on May 31st, 2013 at 1:32 am said:

@ 10 PANTHER1030 – OMG what you said…Guerrilla please read what this guy wrote and make it true….a helghast campaign would be beyond amazing.

Anyway please make the controls the same as in KZ3…and it would be perfect…and also the online please make it like KZ3 I mean identical like copy and paste and it will be perfect.KZ3 is one of the fews MPs worth to get addicted with.Actually the best MP amongst all the FPSs out there.

+ Welmosca on May 31st, 2013 at 1:36 am said:

@ 91 ANUBIS209 – Good comment…I would like that back too…it was really fun.A grenade launcher on your default weapon…really fun to play like that.

+ CommandingTiger on May 31st, 2013 at 4:01 am said:

I loved the single player of killzone 3.

+ CommandingTiger on May 31st, 2013 at 4:03 am said:

@91, In the gameplay demo they showed, I do believe that gun had 2 weapon fire, 1 assault and 1 sniper.
wait and see.