PS4 - Destiny

Lone Survivor: Director’s Cut: Six Months of Extra Content

Jason Perkins's Avatar + Posted by Jason Perkins on Jun 12, 2013 // CEO, Curve Digital

Lone Survivor on PSN

Since Lone Survivor game developer Japser Byrne announced the Playstation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game in March, both he and the team here at Curve have been working flat out to deliver one of the most unique horror games you’re ever likely to play.

Jasper will be joining Curve developers Sam and Hamish at the Sony area at E3, where he’ll be showing off the very latest developments on the PlayStation version of the game, answering questions and revealing more information about the game, which is due to be released this summer. We are very excited to be demonstrating the very first playable build of the game at E3.

The original Lone Survivor was released last year on the PC and was well received by critics, scoring 81% on Metacritic, nominated for a Golden Joystick as well as other awards and official selections, and picked up by many sites as Horror Game of the Year. The soundtrack was also consistently praised.

Lone Survivor on PSN

For us at Curve, one of the best things about working on a game like Lone Survivor is that we get to take a game that people really enjoyed and use it as an opportunity for the creator to add even more content, and for us to take that and produce something that we believe is the ultimate version of the game.

We work really closely with Jasper on all aspects of the game development, allowing him to focus on creating cool new elements for the game. That means bringing Trophies, Cross-Buy and Cross-Play support to Lone Survivor, but it also goes far beyond that…

Firstly, Jasper has put in over half a year’s work to bring new content to The Director’s Cut. As well as improving many smaller aspects of the original game, he’s added more than twenty new items, several new locations, new side-quests, new dialogue for all characters, several new pieces of music, a brand new movie-like lighting system and new flashlight effects, and even two completely new endings.

Lone Survivor on PSN

Secondly, we’re working on the little details that make a great game ever better, including a control system that perfectly matches the PlayStation consoles, smoother scrolling and movement, and all those little details that enhance the overall feel of a game. We’re also working on PlayStation specific features, like the ability to manage inventory through the Vita touchscreen.

If you’re lucky enough to be at E3, head down to the Sony area and say hello, but if you’re watching from home, expect even more news about the definitive version of Lone Survivor to follow very soon! Let us know if you have any questions during E3 and we here at Curve or Jasper himself will do our best to answer them!

18 Comments

+ Anddo on June 12th, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

Wow that’s a lot of content. I can’t wait for this game to released.

+ OneMoreVillain on June 12th, 2013 at 9:40 am said:

I have heard great things about this from my more Steam oriented friends. Glad to hear that you adding some bonus content and tweaking to the PS3 and Vita specs. Though I am guessing this new updated version will probably run us the usual 14.99$ instead of the current 9.99 of the original :p

+ tiny_tim31 on June 12th, 2013 at 9:44 am said:

Wow that’s even more awesome!

+ djsaiyan on June 12th, 2013 at 10:05 am said:

Yup, double dipping on this.

+ Jotamide on June 12th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

Awesome! I really liked the first one. The extended gameplay alone might we worth to double dip.

+ redknight4 on June 12th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

I loved the psychological aspics of this game and glad to see the console version getting polished controls.
are the trophies going to be different from the steam version.

+ Zeitgeist_Pulse on June 12th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

I’ll be honest, I bought it on steam a while ago but never touched it (I usually don’t play much of indie games on pc) but on the vita I’ll be all over this!

+ PainOfSarrow on June 12th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

Looks terrible, i can barely see the images. looks like nothing but Fog and Blur… anyways extra content always sounds good. idk about this one though. hopefully there is a demo.

+ peruhandcrafts on June 12th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

I keep throwing money at the screen but I get nothing! How does this work!? Gimme LS now!

+ CatatonicAlex on June 12th, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

The Vita is getting a lot of 8-bit games this year…. :|

+ RoII_chan on June 12th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

I want to play this game already!! when its gonna come out? =)

+ tusunami on June 12th, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

I remember hearing about this game, good to to see where getting the definitive version. Another game to play on my PS Vita awwwwweeeee yeeeeeaaaaah!

+ KRONOS– on June 12th, 2013 at 4:55 pm said:

I watched the trailer for this game months ago and was very impressed by it. Glad we got an update along with great news about getting lots of extras. I am excited to play this, hope we get it before Fall.

+ jonboi24 on June 12th, 2013 at 8:02 pm said:

I have been waiting so long for this game to come out, MY VITA IS READY!

+ veryhoudini11 on June 12th, 2013 at 10:50 pm said:

Oh this game is awesome. I beat this and one of his other releases, the remake of Silent Hill, on my pc. Amazing throwback with a very modern feel. I originaly checked his work out because of the Silent Hill remake and after playing that got a copy of Lone Survivor on my PC and was really impressed by it, and had a ton of fun playing it. 2D stealth is always good fun in my opinion.

+ Elvick_ on June 13th, 2013 at 12:21 am said:

I want to thank you guys at Curve for bringing so many great games to PS Vita (and PS3).

I don’t know your logistics, but if you could seal a deal to do To the Moon for us, I’d die.

+ jonnyzombieboy on June 13th, 2013 at 5:35 am said:

@ 8 and 10 -

I have Lone Survivor on PC and it is PHENOMENAL. I understand your concerns about it looking ‘dark’ (literally) or PS being flooded with ’8-bit,’ but this game makes good use of both of those and, honestly, it just works. The end result is this creepy mix of a low-key Silent Hill and Twin Peaks.

I actually run a digital magazine that analyzes influential games from a research/academic perspective, and we plan to examine Lone Survivor, the Corpse Party games, 999 and Zero Escape: VLR for a future essay on “retro” interactive horror. As much as that sounds like a plug (ACarrierofFire [dot] com for more info! haha), I’m really pointing out just how much games like Lone Survivor work every bit as well as something a little more “high-tech” a la the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series.

I hope Lone Survivor works out for you both!

+ Dc_cOdEC on June 16th, 2013 at 10:04 pm said:

Looks really interesting, looking forward to this game.