No Man's Sky

1001 Spikes on PS Vita: A Game for the Masochistic Gamer

Tyrone Rodriguez's Avatar + Posted by Tyrone Rodriguez on Jun 13, 2013 // Nicalis

1001 Spikes on PS Vita

What if you had 1,001 lives in your favorite 2D platformer? Think you could beat the game? That’s 1001 Spikes.

1001 Spikes will likely be the most challenging game to come to the Vita this year. In developing the game, we looked to classic games such as the original 8-bit Spelunker and Hudson’s Famicom game Challenger as inspiration. Aside from utilizing a truly 8-bit art style, in developing 1001 Spikes, we’ve focused on making an incredibly difficult platformer with very precise controls requiring pixel-perfect inputs.

On the surface, the short levels seem minimalistic, but at the core, they’re loaded with strategically placed obstacles hidden to the naked eye. The designers have spent countless hours fine tuning placement of every obstacle and item in the game, literally every detail of the game was meticulously planned and thought out, tested, tuned and retested.

1001 Spikes on PS Vita

Broken down to its most basic design, the goal in 1001 Spikes is to find the key to open the door to the next level. Each level will present a different challenge both in the procurement of the key and then making it to the door alive. Although some levels look impossible at first, the determined gamer will prevail.

The main character, Aban Hawkins, wields unlimited throwing daggers to fight off anything he may encounter in the deadly ruins. Like classic 2D platformers, 1001 Spikes’ controls are simple: throw daggers, short jump, and high jump. There are very specific times when the high jump may or may not have the advantage, leaving you with using the short jump to progress through the level. In fact, there are areas where you’ll have to use one jump versus the other to advance.

1001 Spikes on PS Vita

Content-wise, there are six worlds with multiple levels each that lead to more than one finale. Additionally, 1001 Spikes will feature unlockable guest characters and authentic 8-bit style cutscenes! For anyone who doesn’t want to go on the experience alone, we’ve included three multiplayer modes. Multiplayer is both co-op and versus, but we all know that almost every co-op game will eventually turn into a versus match anyway.

We know our game is cruel, and know that the players of today are up for the challenge. With many games purposefully made to be easy and accessible, 1001 Spikes was an opportunity to make a game that is anything but that, yet still make it fun and meaningful. Gamers have to be comfortable with the idea of dying… a lot. What will happen when all your 1001 lives run out? That’s for you to find out! We can’t wait to see what you think when it releases later this year.

31 Comments

+ Squiggle55 on June 13th, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

Looks fantastic. Perfect for the Vita.

+ RWBRT on June 13th, 2013 at 7:24 am said:

Looks chaotic. I have a feeling when this comes out that second screenshot is going to take much of my 1001 Lives. Guest characters are a nice bonus.

+ RWBRT on June 13th, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

Would be awesome to see an 8-bit Sackboy as a guest.

+ xClayMeow on June 13th, 2013 at 7:36 am said:

Saw this on someone’s e3 floor feed. Looks fun. I really liked playing Guacamelee on my Vita and think its the perfect system for platformers! I know they may not be system pushers, but they’re damn fun for those of us who already have a Vita!

+ Fortified on June 13th, 2013 at 7:38 am said:

Kinda like an 8-bit Prinny…. Oh yeah I want!

+ P_AULOr on June 13th, 2013 at 7:38 am said:

Already have a release date?

+ xClayMeow on June 13th, 2013 at 7:46 am said:

Question: I know this game was originally scheduled for 360, Wii U, and 3DS… Are all versions the same or will the Vita one be the best? ;)

+ AguilarX on June 13th, 2013 at 7:52 am said:

So is this the sequel? or is this the first one that came out on xbl indie?

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on June 13th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

this game would look a lot more amazing if the graphics were better..Like Guacamelle that game is fun and looks amazing..with those two ideas together you cant fail..if anything Sony seriously needs to put a crash bandicoot on the vita..or at least a NEW SHANK or just let us play all our PSN GAMES on it!! i would love to play JOE DANGER,Bionic Comanndo Rearmed, Rocket Knicght and so many other PSN FAVS on the GO!!..SONY WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

+ UNC5052 on June 13th, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

I really enjoyed Cave Story, so I am looking forward to this!

+ detictiveconan on June 13th, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

Looks great,I’m looking forward to trying it out,

+ swan-ton-bom on June 13th, 2013 at 8:18 am said:

@9: I get what you’re saying but you do need to understand that graphics don’t always make the game. Now to my comment, this game looks pretty awesome lol 4 way stay alve contest is what I’m getting? Love it :p

+ islankleinknecht on June 13th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

Is the multiplayer online or local ad-hoc only?

+ A_TRUE_MEXICAN on June 13th, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

This seems like a lot of fun. Can’t wait for it!

+ Elvick_ on June 13th, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

This looks painful D:

+ Wolfie-san on June 13th, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ vanwinkle on June 13th, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

EASY day-one purchase for me. I love 2D platformers and this looks great.

+ KnifingGrimace on June 13th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

Curious about this because I liked your rendition of Cave Story in Cave Story+. Speaking of which, if you were to release a PS3/Vita version of Cave Story+, I would likely buy it once again. Portable Cave Story is awesome, and would especially be true with the Vita’s analog stick.

Tyrone Rodriguez's Avatar

+ Neil Sorens on June 13th, 2013 at 1:23 pm said:

Buy buy buy!

+ tusunami on June 13th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

Wow more PS Vita games coming you gotta like the games that’s coming out, for those still waiting for that special game look at what’s coming out. Because PS Vita definitely has games incoming quickly I must say.

+ killerbadmanpoo on June 13th, 2013 at 2:41 pm said:

Year of the 8 bit game! anyway is the trophys
as hard as gameplay

+ DerpinPotato on June 13th, 2013 at 3:31 pm said:

I wants…

+ PrimeroIncognito on June 13th, 2013 at 6:29 pm said:

Awesome. I’m on the verge of buying a Vita now with all these awesome games coming out for it lately.

+ PrimeroIncognito on June 13th, 2013 at 6:30 pm said:

nYcFrEeWiLL82 on June 13th, 2013 at 8:14 am said: “this game would look a lot more amazing if the graphics were better.”

But it wouldn’t make it PLAY any better.

+ pablofsi08 on June 13th, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

PS4 still has time to implement retrocompatibility with PS3 games, PS2 games and PSX digital games and decline Plus being mandatory to play online maintaining online playing free for everyone. If they don’t, I will give the thumbs down to PS4, use my PS Plus account to “buy” free PS4 games and only buy it after it has dropped it’s price dramatically or they add compatibility with PS3 in any way they want to. I encourage everyone that bought over 190 digital PS3 games supporting this company to do the same. RESPECT TO MY PS3 GAMES COLLECTION!

+ jonaspsvita1 on June 14th, 2013 at 2:41 am said:

Will Sony try to make Vita survive. Gooood if they can. Coz I love my Vita. Open world games please.

+ Rezolution77 on June 14th, 2013 at 7:29 am said:

Sell it for a dollar.

I might think about it.

But when you grew up with better, such as, Ninja Gaidan, River City Ransom, Contra, and Master Blaster why would I keep buying knock offs?

If you want to 8 bit, stick to Classics, and try collections that do not only have one or two decent games in the mix.

Double Dragon… ….anyone?

+ PrimeroIncognito on June 14th, 2013 at 1:17 pm said:

@ Rezolution77

I grew up playing those games you mentioned, but I’m not sure you did. You would have known the game is called “Blaster Master” not “Master Blaster”.

And you only mentioned very few of the very best games on the NES. There actually were a lot of games that looked and played like 1,000 Spikes. Did you ever play Wrecking Crew, Gyromite, Spelunker, Goonies II, and hundreds of others? I don’t see 1.000 Spikes as a “knock off”, but rather as a new addition to the family.

+ bothebo on June 14th, 2013 at 3:51 pm said:

So sick of Indie titles. I get on my knees and pray to Kaz that we have some good block buster games coming because I didn’t pay over $300 to play a 300 Mb game.

+ CapnChlamydia on June 28th, 2013 at 2:40 pm said:

Played this religiously at E3, it was incredible. I didn’t get to play the original (but went home and bought it after E3 that night), but this is going to have all the levels from the original (1000 Spikes) as well as a lot of new levels. (The devs put a lot of emphasis on “lot”). It was hands down the most fun I had out of any of the games at E3.