PS4 - Destiny

PS Vita Indie Games Category Now Live on PSN

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Jun 25, 2013 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

PlayStation 3 owners have been enjoying the Indie Games category we introduced on the PlayStation Store last month, and we’re happy to announce that the category is now available on PS Vita as well. This will help PS Vita owners discover the latest indie games, and as you can see in the video above, there are a wide variety of games available today as well as many that will hit the store soon.

Kicking off the category is the launch of Hotline Miami, now available on PS Vita and PlayStation 3. And in the coming months, PS Vita owners will get to enjoy a wealth of fantastic indie games including Spelunky, Terraria, Flower, Luftrausers, Hohokum, Counter-Spy, and many more as we highlighted at our E3 booth. In fact, there are over 50 indie titles currently in development for PS Vita, with more on the way!

Of course, PS Vita’s “Indie Games” category is already loaded with indie favorites including LIMBO, Guacamelee!, Sound Shapes, Machinarium, and Thomas Was Alone. In total, we’ll have 53 indie games in this category at launch. Now is the perfect time to catch up on any titles you may have missed.

At PlayStation, we’re proud to support indie development, and our unrestrictive policies make it easier than ever for developers to launch games on PS Vita. We recognize that the unique perspective that indie developers deliver contributes to the success and future of the gaming industry. And we’ve learned as much from working with talented indie developers over the last several years as (we hope) they have learned from us.

Whether you’re new to indie games or a longtime fan, PS Vita offers a great opportunity to find unique content and dive in. Be sure to check the category often for new indie releases, and let us know your favorites in the comments below.

47 Comments

+ cool_trainer on June 25th, 2013 at 7:06 pm said:

Sick.

+ xFuzylilManPeach on June 25th, 2013 at 7:10 pm said:

Always love Indies on my Vita, happy to know Hotline Miami is apart of the PS Indie collection now. :)

+ naDOOFUS on June 25th, 2013 at 7:16 pm said:

Very cool, however keep them coming. Don’t just sit idle and be content.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on June 25th, 2013 at 7:17 pm said:

Glad you guys added this category to the store, it was well needed. Now i’m just waiting on Flower to be on Vita since it was one of the 1st indie games i played on PS3 & the 1st to get me into em’.

+ Saul_Aguilar on June 25th, 2013 at 7:35 pm said:

I can’t wait for Flower on the PS Vita :D

+ LeFabuleuxDeux on June 25th, 2013 at 7:36 pm said:

Journey for Vita! The Near functions would make it killer! Just knowing you’re actually playing people nearby.

+ lisatsunami on June 25th, 2013 at 7:55 pm said:

Great idea, Don. The wide variety of indie games give Playstation a unique vibe. And tell the Terraria folk to hurry up!!!

I agree with all the comments above, which never happens on this blog, lol.

+ midnightshade on June 25th, 2013 at 7:57 pm said:

Love this!!! Have all the indie games on vita right now… I agree with #7.. hurry up with Terraria on vita!! Been loving hotline miami tonight!

+ GynPLaYeR on June 25th, 2013 at 8:03 pm said:

How about more 1st Party Games and less Indie Games? -.-” Really tired of indie games for vita… It’s now june and have to way until August / September / October to get good vita games. I’m tired of 2D games.. if it was the 90′s i would love but it’s 2013 -.-”

+ Conaaando on June 25th, 2013 at 8:08 pm said:

That’s awesome!

+ time346 on June 25th, 2013 at 8:11 pm said:

Love the indie game scene. I’ve been waiting months to get Spelunky on the Psvita. Bring it on Mr. Yu!

+ jeffsmither on June 25th, 2013 at 8:16 pm said:

Don, You did a post a few weeks back on Paint Park Plus, I dont know if you work on that team or not, but can you pass the word if the update it or do an add-on for it, I would like to see a paint bucket (aka, fill in area)

+ xClayMeow on June 25th, 2013 at 8:38 pm said:

Really looking forward to CounterSpy and Spelunky!

+ baygon87 on June 25th, 2013 at 8:39 pm said:

I’m soo happy with this video…. really… THANKS SONY!!! Keep doing this great job with Vita and devs!!

I know is not just ask…but…. SUPER MEAT BOY…. man… think is perfect for Vita…. really…. have sure all vita players ll buy this game…. but….no problem if sony dont have any plan for SUPER MEAT BOY….. All the games in this video made me soo happy :)

+ walkrue on June 25th, 2013 at 8:53 pm said:

great information there, I hope the content of the indie game keep growing both in quantity and quality

+ MickeyWard09 on June 25th, 2013 at 9:46 pm said:

Does anyone know the download size of Hotline Miami? It is not listed on its PSN store listing.

Can’t wait for Counter-Spy!

+ remanutd5 on June 25th, 2013 at 9:51 pm said:

Very nice to see this but i want exclusive AAA titles, i want Santa Monica, Evolution Studios, Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Sucker Punch, Sony London, Sony Japan to support the system like Guerrilla Games and Media Molecule are doing it.

+ DarkStar83x on June 25th, 2013 at 10:34 pm said:

Awesome!

+ Ouren on June 25th, 2013 at 11:00 pm said:

We devs love you too!

+ GORT22 on June 25th, 2013 at 11:35 pm said:

Where can I get a Playstation loves Devs T-Shirt?

+ AizawaYuuichi on June 26th, 2013 at 1:24 am said:

I’ve been really enjoying all the different types of experiences that the Indie scene has brought to gaming on my Vita, and really looking forward to what we’ll see on the PS4 as well.

@ MickeyWard09: I believe the download size is around 360MB or so, but installed it sits at 411MB on my Vita.

+ xenosaga200 on June 26th, 2013 at 4:24 am said:

awesome

+ Monterossa on June 26th, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

Why don’t just group all the indies in one category and don’t make them appear in other categories?

I’m sick of these cheap flash games. I play PS3 to play real games, not something I can play on my mobile.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on June 26th, 2013 at 6:51 am said:

I love these indie games. They are perfect for Vita. And I love that PlayStation supports indie developers so well. They are the ones that are introducing new innovative ideas to gaming.

+ MickeyWard09 on June 26th, 2013 at 6:53 am said:

@AizawaYuuichi, Thanks very much!

+ TheBratPrince79 on June 26th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

Love Indies Games, those developers kick Ass!

+ smokey_vols on June 26th, 2013 at 7:29 am said:

Love it. Keep up the indie support Sony!

+ BNast7 on June 26th, 2013 at 7:41 am said:

Can’t wait for Dead Nation to be on Vita. It will probably make me pick one up.

+ SAB-CA on June 26th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Serious Suggestion: Add the best of Playstation Mobile games to this store list as well.

In addition, adding the mobile releases from each week to a blog post, either the weekly update, or one that gets announced the next day.

It’s a shame that games like Cytus Lambda and Mononoke Slashdown will potentially be ignored by a large amount of Vita owners, due to poor visibility.

+ Binarynova on June 26th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

This is great, but I feel some things need to be mentioned here. Now we have Playstation Mobile, Playstation Minis, and Indie Games. It’s going to start getting rather confusing. Those three categories are really quite similar. I think you should ditch two of those brands and lump the three together in one massive listing.

Secondly, I have to ask, almost tongue-in-cheek but not quite, if a game is published by Sony Computer Entertainment America is it really “indie”? :\

+ Elvick_ on June 26th, 2013 at 8:38 am said:

Should have included Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD. Increased diversity.

Also, you showed co-op footage of Guacamelee. Which is only on the PS3 version.

+ Blackstar131 on June 26th, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

all i want is phantasy star online 2, released over seas!

+ Welmosca on June 26th, 2013 at 1:01 pm said:

Oh fantastic…the majority of games showed in the video are all good games,Indies are the soul of classic games..keep it up the good work Sony and also bring more exclusives PSN titles…btw that Fieldrunners game looked pretty cool…will have to check that out,a good and fun game may have slipped by my eyes.

+ tusunami on June 26th, 2013 at 1:16 pm said:

I am glad PS Vita with the Indie Developers supporting the handheld, more quirky unique titles coming to the PS Vita that’s just awesome to hear!!!!!!!!!!

+ JusteMilieu on June 26th, 2013 at 1:55 pm said:

Just got a Vita, too much awesomeness to miss out on!

+ Bind0FGod on June 26th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

Can’t wait to get Terraria, I hope it’s crossbuy, as I already own the ps3 version.

+ Sevyne on June 26th, 2013 at 8:25 pm said:

I’m really loving the relationship Sony has with indie devs. It benefits pretty much everyone imo. Also helps that these kinds of games feel just so right on Vita. That’s not to say they aren’t great on PS3 and soon the PS4 as well, but these games on the go is fantastic.

+ Gmafz7 on June 26th, 2013 at 10:05 pm said:

Don’t forget about the Pixeljunk Monster Ulitmate HD edition for vita!! Awesome games!

+ Gmafz7 on June 26th, 2013 at 10:08 pm said:

Exactly, when I’m playing on the PS3, I want to play on a big screen hardcore games that you won’t find in Vita like Demon/Dark Souls, Battlefield, Borderlands, etc.
I like playing indie games on big screen from time to time but it feels so right playing them on my Vita’s gorgeous portable screen!

+ mk-2007 on June 27th, 2013 at 3:33 am said:

Awesome. And I just finished hotline miami on my vita. Bring on the indie games :)

+ AdmiralCloud on June 27th, 2013 at 6:35 pm said:

i only want terraria other than that make solid titlew for vita not indies sigh …….. what are they doing at sony

+ fonchomejia on June 27th, 2013 at 9:57 pm said:

IM DESPERATE!!!!! are there any news to spelunky release dates! please ive searched everywhere!!!!

+ MONEYCLIP817 on June 28th, 2013 at 5:48 am said:

Why does Sony think we only want indie games for the Vita? I love indie games but there are other types of games that I enjoy far more. At E3 the only AAA title we saw for vita was Killzone, which looked amazing. Far more time was spent showing of indie games. At my local video game retailer, there are only 5 retail games available to preorder between now and September, one of them being an HD collection already available on PS3. I love my Vita, but I bought it because it was mobile powerhouse, capable of playing AAA titles on the go.

+ jonaspsvita1 on June 28th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

I agree with the post 43. VITA is the best device not just to play only indie game .why can’t they support A better game than keep putting indie game for vita . A lot of ps3 games like that VITA NEED.

+ SoldierDragon on June 28th, 2013 at 7:30 pm said:

I just want to say I can’t wait for Terraria on the PSVita and I reeeaaally hope FTL:Faster Than Light is among those 53 indie games still in the works for PSVita. If it’s not I hope someone works on addng to the list!!

+ ShardYu on June 30th, 2013 at 1:40 am said:

can’t wait to have Terraria for PS Vita! :)

+ xMochii- on July 1st, 2013 at 6:27 am said: