PS4 - Transistor

Critter Crunch, Everyday Shooter on Sale Today for $0.99 Each

Jonathan Mak's Avatar + Posted by Jonathan Mak on Jul 23, 2013 // Creator, Everyday Shooter

This week, Toronto-based developers (and good friends) Queasy Games & Capy are putting their classic PSN titles on sale. To mark this occasion, Jon decided to dust off the actual guitar used to create the tunes in Everyday Shooter and jam out the games’ first track, alongside our cuddly orange friend from Critter Crunch. Take a peek:

Everyday Shooter & Critter Crunch may be markedly different games that took alternate paths onto the PlayStation Store, but they share a lot in common. Here’s a little bit about why these games are important to their creators/teams:

Everyday Shooter on PSN

Five years ago I released my first game, Everyday Shooter, in which you play through an album of musical shmups, where every sound effect is a guitar riff or note harmonizing over an all-guitar soundtrack. So as you play the game, it feels like you’re jamming along with the music. Each level/song/track has a different vibe, look, sound and gameplay mechanic — kind of like how songs on an album flow through different moods.

At least that’s what it is for most people. In actuality the game was built on ten years’ worth of failed experiments. It’s a game about growing out of the art-game-theory-I-am-a-genius-look-at-me BS I had built in my head. It’s about shedding my ego and getting back to the basics of making a simple, GOOD video game. It’s about becoming the student learning from the masters.

I packed a lot of personal memories into this game: I see the little Lego tanks and spaceships I built as a child in level 5, my obsession with strawberry picking in level 7, the first three-chord progression I ever wrote on guitar in Level 1… and I see all the undeniable influences of the time: Every Extend in Level 1, Warning Forever in Level 2, Miyzaki’s Porco Rosso in Level 4… and I cannot deny the inspiration I found in Rez and Lumines.

Everyday Shooter is probably the 8th, or 10th, or 12th (I’ve lost track!) game I ever made, but it was the first game I was truly proud of. Right now it’s on sale for a dollar. A dollar! I’d love for you to try it, and if you do, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

– Jonathan Mak, Queasy Games

Critter Crunch on PSN

Many years ago Capy wasn’t making the types of games we are now. We worked on games for big movie brands on a platform not a lot of folks cared about. Out of that dark time came one bright light: a silly little arcade-style puzzle game starring a cuddly orange blob who used his tongue to feed critters to each other. That game, originally called “Top of the Food Chain” before being officially dubbed CRITTER CRUNCH, became our first console title, launching on PSN in October of 2009.

Looking back, I can say that Critter Crunch happened because of Everyday Shooter. Not directly of course, but in a very real, indirect way. As we toiled in the furnaces of work-for-hire, our good friend Jon Mak was releasing a crazy, personal, aesthetically-driven game on a major console. Everyday Shooter was inspirational to us, and to be honest we felt like we needed to make better games because of it. Around the same time our friends at Metanet released N+, and it was these twin forces that gave us the courage to make games we truly cared about. Critter Crunch was our first step in that exciting direction. It was our first truly ‘independent’ project in the new era of Capy, and set us on the (amazing) path we’re on now.

We wanted to make something with the beauty of Miyazaki or early Disney animation, but at its core was a love-letter to games like Dr. Mario & Magical Drop. We wanted to cram it with jokes and charm and character and multiplayer modes you could play with friends or significant others.

To this day, we still love the heck out of Critter Crunch. And we hope you love it too, or will love it if you buy it while it’s on sale for $0.99.

– Nathan Vella, Capy co-founder & president

Fast-forward many years, and the strong friendship and mutual respect which (at least partially) began with these games led to Queasy asking Capy to help out on a crazy musical toy-meets-platformer called Sound Shapes. And we all know how that turned out! Stay tuned for some fun stuff we have planned for the first anniversary of Sound Shapes’ launch on August 7th.

So, if you own Everyday Shooter and/or Critter Crunch, Capy and Queasy thank you. If you don’t, please take this chance to give them a shot for a single dollar each.

Thanks everyone!

+ JMG24BAD on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

I’ll buy both!

+ Wario64 on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

Already done

+ StingrayX on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:44 pm said:

Sure!

+ Wozman23 on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:52 pm said:

I originally never got around to picking up Everyday Shooter despite wanting to, but after being floored by how amazing Sound Shapes was, I picked it up on sale on Steam. For 99 cents I may rebuy it.

I look forward to any continued support of Sound Shapes (and secretly wish Reznor would collaborate).

Jonathan Mak's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on July 23rd, 2013 at 5:48 pm said:

As we mentioned in the blog post, the 1 year anniversary is coming up and some funky stuff is on the hopper :)

+ PSN_Tokeio on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:56 pm said:

Bought them a long time ago and still love them. I hope to see more Capy & Queasy games on PS3 and Vita soon!

PS: I secretly wish for Critter Crunch on Vita… and my home screen on my Vita is Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery, you can guess what I’m really wishing for on Vita… I’m kind of an indie game nut :)

+ snakeeyes211 on July 23rd, 2013 at 4:11 pm said:

Already done :-)

+ AgentX on July 23rd, 2013 at 4:11 pm said:

I’ve already got both of these excellent games, but I figured I’d make my voice heard here and say that I highly recommend both of them. At a price of only 99¢ each, I’d urge anyone who doesn’t have them yet to give them a try.

+ Dientes_chuecos on July 23rd, 2013 at 4:13 pm said:

I love a dollar sales. I just bought critter crunch. I´ll watch videos of “Everyday Shooter” to see if I buy it.

+ Zezzler on July 23rd, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

Toronto represent!

Jonathan Mak's Avatar

+ Nathan Vella on July 23rd, 2013 at 5:42 pm said:

There’s a heck of a lot of amazing games coming out of our fair city.

NOT EVEN ROB FORD CAN STOP US MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

+ Mobius2525 on July 23rd, 2013 at 5:11 pm said:

$0.99 Each this is a good buy.

+ wilfareus on July 23rd, 2013 at 5:25 pm said:

I’ll buy this! in hopes they will come on to the Vita :D

+ Kchow23 on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:03 pm said:

I would love to see another Capy game on PlayStation.. been a while and Critter Crunch is awesome!

+ angelspawn77 on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:09 pm said:

Great news, will be buying both! Are these on Vita as well or only ps3? Would love to have these on the go. Games like this actually fit better that way.

+ KidCommando on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:35 pm said:

both are great games.

Played Everyday Shooter like a mad man on PSP.

+ PainOfSarrow on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

GREATTT. i luv 1$ sales. i already own critter crunch, soooo everyday shooter for me.

+ SpooNManX on July 23rd, 2013 at 7:43 pm said:

Everyday Shooter is excellent and well worth more than 99 cents, but I’d pay $5 to get trophies added to it!

+ gokugt25 on July 23rd, 2013 at 9:40 pm said:

I tried the demo of Critter Crunch and fell in love with it! ^-^
Definetly going to buy it!!!

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 24th, 2013 at 1:44 am said:

I already grabbed Critter Crunch a couple months ago when it was on sale, I think it was $3 maybe? Had a blast playing it.
For $0.99, I’ll definitely grab Everyday Shooter, just for the heck of it.

+ Elvick_ on July 24th, 2013 at 2:20 am said:

I saw on neogaf (link in separate comment, so I can avoid moderation on this one) that Critter Crunch was wanted on Vita, but it “wasn’t meant to be”…

WHY U DO THIS TO ME?

I would gladly buy it again on my PS Vita. I bought Critter Crunch the day it came out and loved it.

+ Aces73High on July 24th, 2013 at 3:31 am said:

Nathan, Nathan, Nathan, if you’re still around buddy, please, I wanted to put a very brief question to you regarding the utterly sublime – and downright gorgeous – Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, if that’s okay with you?

Since first playing it on iPad on the day of it’s App Store debut, your pixelicious, Guthrie-enthused, masterpiece has gotten under my skin, like no other game before or since. I’m a huge fan of the indie gaming scene, and wherever possible, try to do what little I can to support talented outfits like Capy, and of course, Queasy, Curve, FuturLab, Amanita, Play Dead, Clever Beans, and many, many more besides. With this in mind, despite my complete lack of a decent PC/laptop, I grabbed S:S&S EP when it later hit PC, and I even grabbed the iPhone-only, Micro edition.

+ Aces73High on July 24th, 2013 at 3:33 am said:

^^^ continued ^^^

A little off topic I know, but Sword & Sworcery made such a profound impression on my gaming senses, forever affecting my expectations and even my own preferences regarding art, music and genuine indie flair, I can’t help but wish I could play it on my handheld indie-box-of-fun. That’s right folks, there in lies my ‘brief question’:

…will I ever be able to play the 8-bit Scythian heroines adventure on my wonderful, wonderful Playstation Vita??!!

+ gdljjrodMEX on July 24th, 2013 at 6:44 am said:

and for my PSvita?????????

+ CullenX on July 24th, 2013 at 7:47 am said:

I already own and love both of these games. If you’re unsure, you should definitely buy them. Any chance for them to come to Vita? I’d buy them all over again!

+ wilfareus on July 24th, 2013 at 7:52 am said:

Please consider Vita versions -tears of a Vita fan-

+ Bendolar123 on July 24th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

No Funds in PSN wallet so i will be missing thiz Awesome sale…Too bad am not a PS Plus member!!!I wish i was one of them!!!

+ Asphaltum on July 24th, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

Ya baby! Some Toronto love for all of you on PSN. Keep up the good work guys. Us Torontonian gamers appreciate all your hard work.

+ Freshh23 on July 24th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

Those games should be priced like this to begin with. If these games were on mobile OS’ they would be free or .99. Stop doing greedy or anti consumer practices and stop ripping us off. That’s a problem with this industry, the corporations always doing those things and enough dumb consumers support it.

+ Welmosca on July 24th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

I was in doubt about these 2 games…because I always buy games at 1 dollar…..and I have heard about Critter Crunch before but never saw it in action….but now seeing all the people here talking well about it…I think I’ll buy both.I have Sound Shapes and its fantastic.

+ tusunami on July 24th, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

For anyone that hasn’t bought these games there both excellent. I have both good times!!!!!!!!!

+ Erlaxis on July 24th, 2013 at 2:17 pm said:

I’ve never played Everyday Shooter because I bought my PS3 in 2010, quite a while after the game was released. But I find really interesting the fact that every once in a while I hear/read someone telling great things about it. This sale is my chance to experience the game’s magic. Also, I loved Sound Shapes.

+ Lefoul-123 on July 24th, 2013 at 5:41 pm said:

Just buyed critter crunch, Looks like fun.

+ alexbhp on July 24th, 2013 at 5:54 pm said:

Well finally, I have been waiting to buy Everyday Shooter forever, since it came out it only was on Sale ONCE for $4.99 when I couldn’t buy it. Now finally I can buy it. PS Store needs to put some of the old content for sale more often. I wanted to buy some OLD DLC (i.e. FEAR 2 Reborn) but it is never on sale…. Steam understand that people will throw money at them if you give them old games for cheap or even games you already own in another platform. Looking forward to the enhancements in the PS Store on the PS4.

+ soldierone on July 24th, 2013 at 10:15 pm said:

Dangit, doesn’t include the Vita version. Ugh.

+ Splodem on July 25th, 2013 at 12:43 am said:

$7.99 for the Vita? Great.

+ Pendharker on July 25th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

Everyday Shooter is one of the best PSN games you could ever own. Every time I play it, I’m amazed at how well crafted it is for such a (seemingly) simple game. Let me tell you now that it is NOT a simple game. It’s a gorgeous musical experience you dynamically create as you inject yourself into the midst of intense, precise shooter combat. Check that action out and grab Everyday Shooter!

Critter Crunch was lovely to look at, but didn’t grab me as a gamer.