PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Surviving the Killzone: Mercenary Multiplayer Beta, Out August 20th

Mark Green's Avatar + Posted by Mark Green on Aug 16, 2013 // Senior Producer, Guerrilla Cambridge

We’re just a few weeks away from the launch of Killzone: Mercenary, but gamers won’t have to wait that long to cut their teeth on Mercenary’s impressive multiplayer suite. The team here at Guerrilla Cambridge is expanding the multiplayer beta to give the servers a good test before Mercenary launches on September 10th in North America for PS Vita.

For North American users, the Open Beta for Killzone: Mercenary will be made available to PlayStation Plus subscribers on August 20th (after the Store update). Those of you who went out of your way to acquire special beta access vouchers — Perhaps through a certain promotion on PS Home? — will also be granted early access!

Killzone Mercenary, 03

Then, on August 27th (after the Store update), the beta will open up further to become available to all North American PS Vita owners, coming to a close on September 3rd.

Surviving the Beta

Mercenary boasts a number of unique modes, innovative gameplay mechanics, and introduces a daily ranking system to make Mercenary the most advanced, addictive multiplayer experience on PS Vita.

What You Should Know:

• All money earned playing the game, in any mode, can be used to purchase new weapons and equipment from Blackjack (arms dealer). These purchases can then be used in both the single-player campaign and the multiplayer suite.
  • Once campaign missions have been completed, they can be replayed with additional contract objectives. These challenge contracts provide a set of objectives based around Covert, Demolition, and precision play-styles. They’re also a great way to earn V$.
  • Each campaign mission contains six pieces of Intel to retrieve. There are two ways of retrieving Intel: interrogate captains (marked on radar) or hacking Intel terminals. Collect all six pieces of Intel to unlock bonus Valor Cards for your Valor Collection.

The Valor System

The Valor system operates by assigning each member of the Killzone: Mercenary community a Valor Card. Your Valor Card represents your earning ability in the game, with Ace being the highest rank and Two being the lowest. You will be issued a new Valor Card once every 24 hours. Your new card will be based on your recent earnings compared to all other players. This means that the value of your card can go up as well as down!

Killzone Mercenary on PS VitaKillzone Mercenary, 02

In multiplayer, players will drop an instance of their Valor Card when they die. This card can then be collected for bonus V$, and the higher the Valor of the card, the greater the reward. The suit of a players Valor card represents the weapon type they have been using. To change suits a player must make consecutive kills with a specific type:

• Clubs – make seven consecutive kills with an assault rifle or LMG
  • Hearts – make five consecutive kills with a secondary weapon
  • Spades – make three consecutive kills with a sniper rifle
  • Diamonds – make four consecutive kills with an SMG

Valor Cards collected in multiplayer and campaign (through retrieving Intel) are placed into your Valor Collection. Your Valor Collection is represented as a pack of cards and by making “hands” (four of a kind, flush, full deck) you will gain large V$ rewards.

Controls

When using sniper rifles, you can change the zoom magnification of the scope by dragging up and down on the rear touch pad when aiming down the sight.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

VAN-Guard capsules are regularly fired into multiplayer maps and some single-player missions. These capsules contain a single-use VAN-guard that the player can deploy.

Most touch controls are also mapped to physical buttons:

• Switch weapon = d-pad right
  • Deploy VAN-Guard = d-pad left
  • Grenade = d-pad down
  • Interact = press Triangle
  • Sprint = tap Circle when moving

The only enforced touch screen interactions are for Brutal Melee, hacking, levers, and some VAN-Guards.

Good Luck

The team at Guerrilla Cambridge put in a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to make Mercenary’s multiplayer package the most advanced experience to-date on PS Vita. We’re very excited for launch, but we think the Open Beta will definitely hold you over until September!

170 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ MassaBR on August 16th, 2013 at 10:05 am said:

The closed beta wasn’t just amazing for a Vita game, it was also one of the best multiplayer FPS I played in recent memory. Can’t wait for the full game!

+ poodude on August 16th, 2013 at 10:07 am said:

Oh man, I’m so excited to finally play Mercenary. Can’t wait to get my hands on this and Shadow Fall :D!

+ Grunt06 on August 16th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Huge fan of KZ so I can’t wait!! So excited to play this on my Vita. Anyone who wants to play KZ in the future feel free to add me! I’ll be playing this and Shadow Fall.

+ tusunami on August 16th, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

Well I’m glad once again to be a PS Plus member, this will be one to watch for. Since all the other FPS games for PS Vita have been a train wreak Cod declassified hears looking at you.

+ xClayMeow on August 16th, 2013 at 10:20 am said:

Didn’t get into the closed beta, so very glad PS+ users get to join the fun next week!

+ akisuo on August 16th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

Very excited to finally try this is out next week!!

+ Iacobellis- on August 16th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

Stoked to hear that Plus members get in! The closed beta was downright amazing, best Vita game I played in awhile.

+ DanielSouza- on August 16th, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

I played the game, and it is great. But now its showing an error message, that i’m not allowed to connect to killzone servers. What can be? Help, please, guys.

+ remanutd5 on August 16th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

I was part of the closed beta and i can honestly say if you guys advertise this game then Killzone Mercenary=system seller in my opinion, this game is above anything else on the portable market when it comes to fps games, nothing i mean nothing comes even remotely close, this is how you should have treated Resistance on the vita, this is quality gaming on the go from the production values to the controls to how it feels, looks and plays, i have a question if Guerrilla Cambridge was able to port the killzone 3 engine to the vita, why Nihilistic couldnt port the Resistance 3 engine? i love the fact that 2 of sony elite studios are working on the vita GC and Mm but we need them all (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Evolution Studios, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch, PD and more) please treat the system with the respect it deserves.

+ Fardeenah on August 16th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

awesome….

+ soundandvision77 on August 16th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

I didn’t get into the closed beta, but I’ve checked out a lot of videos and it looks great. I’m pumped to get 2 weeks of the open beta starting next week!

I need to pre-order this game to make sure I get the bonuses. Will the pre-order bonuses be available on the PSN version of the game? Or, can you get them for physical copies in Canada? I haven’t been able to find them at any of the big retailers.

+ Old_PopTarts on August 16th, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

Been waiting on this post all morning! I am STOKED! I can’t wait til the beta, let alone the game release. This looks to be one the best efforts I’ve seen on any handheld platform! Kudos Guerilla Cambridge. You are a very exceptional developer.

+ DesertAss2in on August 16th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

Going to buy day one! Can’t wait for the beta for plus members! I skipped Call of duty and resistance because they seemed really iffy, but Killzone Mercenary looks like it’s legit!

+ toru248okada on August 16th, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

I’m very excited for this game. Will money and purchases earned in the beta carry over into the full game if I buy it when it’s released?

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 16th, 2013 at 10:40 am said:

Glad to see plus members get early access to the beta. I’ve watched virtually nothing in terms of videos relating to the closed beta because I want to jump in as fresh as possible. August 20th can’t come soon enough!

+ ChaseHammerJ on August 16th, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

Still not understanding the point of the PS Home E3 codes….

+ UNHOLYxNbK on August 16th, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

Tempting me to reactivate my plus membership. As a Vita only member I dont usually find many recent plus perks worth it, but this…

+ Welmosca on August 16th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Couldn’t get in the closed beta so my hopes are in the open beta since I got the Home code ready….but KZ3 is not only the best FPS ever made but also has the best FPS MP….I know Mercenary is amazing because just by looking at the videos of gameplay online I start to drool.CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

+ Zionine on August 16th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

For the hacker mini game:
You have 8 options and one core puzzle in the middle. You have to fill in the core puzzle with 2 of the 8 options. You do this one by one by touching an option and touching the middle. :)

Hope that helps a bit too.

+ Zionine on August 16th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

@Welmosca, PS PLUS members don’t need the home code.. so give it to a friend!

+ gijsbrecht on August 16th, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

@ChaseHammer: I guess the PS Home E3 codes are usefull to those who are not Plus members. Which are still a lot.

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 16th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

@ChaseHammerJ Maybe those who received a PS Home E3 voucher can access the beta on the 20th, regardless of whether they are a Plus member or not? Based on how it was said in the article, that’s what I’m thinking……

+ MajorSouthpaw on August 16th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

The Beta has been a great way to sample what the multiplayer has to offer. I knew Gueriila would make a quality FPS on Vita. Now lets tell our friends and have them tell their friends so people can buy PS Vita’s and give it the user base it deserves.

+ Elvick_ on August 16th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Can’t wait

+ KazeEternal on August 16th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

Been waiting for this game for so long, I can’t wait to start playing.

+ Zionine on August 16th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

Not to TRIP TRIP Triple post.. but.. Guerilla Cambridge needs to put in a system so that I can join a game with 3 of my buddies and be on the same time. I hate that in CoD and Resistance.. You invite a friend and end up killing each other.. It’s not how multiplayer games have EVER worked. You go on the same team so you can have teamwork and dominate. Please put this feature into the final product. You’ll most likely hear many complaints about it during the open beta.

Along with this issue is the voice chat feature. Voice chat is also good for meeting strangers and having good teamwork with them. Please implement this. Social features are very important to the Vita’s longevity and popularity.

+ Tjoeb123 on August 16th, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

I’m a PS+ member, and have a Voucher code….So….does this mean that code is useless to me?

+ XeahuleXolic on August 16th, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

This is going to be epic!! I need to pull my self away from Persona 4 golden and download this wonderful game. However I know I’ll be playing Diablo 3 non stop, but I must make some time for kill zone. I can’t wait to get my PS4 already and play Kill Zone Shadow Fall

+ bakerarmy on August 16th, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

Quick question; I didn’t play the beta and haven’t watched many videos, is the MP set up like KZ3 operations are? Story driven MP objective/defend missions? If so I can’t wait!!!!

+ Mando44646 on August 16th, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

Does progress carry over from the beta to the game? I dont want to have to unlovk everything twice…

+ AwRy108 on August 16th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

Please advertise this game, it’s an incredible showpiece for the system!

+ UnrealButcher on August 16th, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

Can’t wait. Been watching a lot of youtube videos of the Beta.

Supposed to go camping with the family next weekend. I think I’m coming down with something. lol.

Thanks for opening this up to Plus subscribers.

+ JKar275 on August 16th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

I’m very much looking forward to trying out this MP beta on Aug. 20!!!

Questions:
1) Will there be a website that will show all of the different weapons & equipment that can be purchased from Blackjack?

2) Will we be able to pre-order the downloadable version of this game from the USA PS Store?

3) If yes, will there be a discount or special DLC for PS+ members?

+ GeoDarky on August 16th, 2013 at 12:25 pm said:

I can’t wait :)

+ Makuta1213 on August 16th, 2013 at 12:30 pm said:

Can’t wait for it to come out! Definitely my most anticipated title for the Vita!

September 10th can’t arrive soon enough!

+ UnrealButcher on August 16th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

Hope we can preorder this on PS Store and get the preorder bonuses?

I want this game on my memory card, so I can quickly switch to it, without having to dig for it.

+ MOORE_ELITE on August 16th, 2013 at 12:45 pm said:

if anyone out there has a ps plus membership and beta code they dont need send it my way i would greatly appreciate the generousity.. Message my psn id pls ty

+ CStancer on August 16th, 2013 at 1:01 pm said:

Played the closed beta, and I can honestly say this is the game that will sell the vita… There are no complaints for this game and everything looks gorgeous and plays spectacular!

+ SKiiLeDF3AR on August 16th, 2013 at 1:08 pm said:

Can’t Wait till This Game Comes Out **** Looks Amazing

+ comprehensible on August 16th, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

One of the few games I am buying at launch

+ KRYS007 on August 16th, 2013 at 1:42 pm said:

The only reason I bought a PS VITA was for Killzone Mercenary i just hope that the controls will be better than CoD: declassified

+ XINTSUAI-BR on August 16th, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

We can use the Gyroscope to adjust the target?

+ XINTSUAI-BR on August 16th, 2013 at 1:50 pm said:

Can we use the Gyroscope to adjust the target? As in Uncharted.

+ XINTSUAI-BR on August 16th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

Remember people Vita goes to 169,00 usd after Gamescom!

+ CStancer on August 16th, 2013 at 2:22 pm said:

Yeah you can choose to add the gyroscope I personally didn’t because the controls handle great and they tweaked them some more… It takes a match or two to get used to but once you get the hang of it you call in love.

+ M-Easy on August 16th, 2013 at 2:27 pm said:

Freaking sweet! Hurry up Sept. 10th. I’m not touching GTAV, I’m playing this game all month long.

+ lucaxos-25_XD on August 16th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

that I have bad luck ps plus if someone has a gift code please send it to me would
KILLZONE MERCENARY

+ lucaxos-25_XD on August 16th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

+ smoothboarder540 on August 16th, 2013 at 2:59 pm said:

Anyone know how many GBs this file is?

+ xClayMeow on August 16th, 2013 at 3:02 pm said:

They definitely need to advertise this ON TV!

Make a live action trailer (think Call of Duty “Vet & Noob”) and then at the end, fade to see 4 (or 8) people playing it on Vita in an otherwise boring public place (like the DMV or an airport terminal).

PAGE 1 2 3 4