No Man's Sky

Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse on PS Vita

Charles Cecil's Avatar + Posted by Charles Cecil on Aug 22, 2013 // Co-Founder, Revolution Software

Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse on PS Vita

Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse starts with intrepid lawyer, George Stobbart, and sassy journalist, Nico Collard, caught in the deadly robbery of a seemingly worthless painting. But we, the audience, also see a scene from the Second World War in which Spanish fascists storm a Catalan villa, killing the family, and seizing that same painting. As George and Nico are drawn into the murderous conspiracy, those around them claim that the painting is cursed by the Devil himself. George and Nico soon come to believe that they may just be right.

Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse is very much an adventure — traditional in terms of its core spirit, but wholly contemporary in terms of graphics and gameplay. The game was first announced as part of a Kickstarter appeal in August 2012 and, after attracting over 15,000 backers, doubled its goal. We were thrilled at the response of fans — particularly after hearing so often that the adventure game had died as a genre.

Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse on PS VitaBroken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse on PS Vita

As well as funding a major part of the development, the appeal brought together a wonderful community of Broken Sword fans — epitomised by the Order of the Goat, a fan-created group that is named after a particularly fiendish puzzle that I designed for the first Broken Sword game.

The idea for Broken Sword was actually conceived back in 1993. Noirin Carmody, our Commercial Director, and I were having dinner with Sean Brennan, then deputy Managing Director of Virgin Interactive Entertainment.

We were close to finishing Beneath a Steel Sky and were talking about what should come next. He recommended that I read Umberto Eco’s Fucault’s Pendulum, which uses Knights Templar mythology as its backstory. I started researching and discovered that the Knights Templar could offer a wonderfully rich puzzle environment.

Back then, very few people had even heard of the Order: this was many years before Dan Brown had written Da Vinci Code (some of our fans like to point out some remarkable similarities between our story and his). And so, over a fine bottle of claret, the seeds of what would become Broken Sword were sewn.

The first Broken Sword, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, was released in 1996. The original PlayStation had launched the year before and we approached Sony and pitched the game — they agreed to publish, and it went on to be a huge success on their platform. The second Broken Sword was then published on PlayStation (and was voted the 5th best PlayStation game ever by the readers of Official PlayStation Magazine), and the third Broken Sword on PlayStation 2 (and was nominated for three BAFTA awards).

So now we’re thrilled to continue our relationship with Sony and are delighted to be able to announce that we will be publishing Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse (the fifth game in the series) on PlayStation Vita. The PS Vita is an ideal device for an adventure game — the combination of the front and rear touch screen, as well as the analog stick and shoulder buttons, gives us so much scope to create a really great user interface.

The adventure continues. :-)

34 Comments

+ SocialClimber_85 on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

This looks really good

+ xClayMeow on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

Oh, this is really sweet! The one genre that is definitely lacking on the Vita is the point-and-click adventure game genre! Yes, I know The Walking Dead just released this week, but that’s a highly modified and modernized take on adventure games.

I do have a question though…if I’m not familiar with the Broken Sword series, would I still enjoy Serpent’s Curse and understand what’s going on? I don’t usually like entering in the middle of a franchise, especially not a fifth entry!

+ DrApollo on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

Man! Very interesting. I like to see more adventure games making their way to Vita!

+ onslaughtree on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

The Vita love continues. Priced right, I might just invest in this adventure. Keep up the good work.

+ CrusaderForever on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

Amazing! I am so interested in this game. Thank you for bring this to the Vita! You are correct, the touch screens f&b and dual sticks make all games perfect for the Vita. The Vita love is becoming more and more apparent. I am always using my Vita. One of the greatest purchases I have ever made in gaming.

+ XeahuleXolic on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

looking sweet nice art

+ Apeman24 on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

Thanks for showing off the game. I still have my Ps1 copy of Broken Sword: Shadow Of the Templars. Great to see the franchise make a comeback.

+ Redikol on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

Awesome! I adore the Broken Sword games!

+ xClayMeow on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

BTW, you should have included the Alpha Teaser Trailer in your blog post. For whoever wants to watch it:

youtu.be/3jQu1riTcYg

+ Zevrou on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

i RREEEAALLLY need a vita, broken sword are suck great games

+ avluis on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

Ecstatic to see this coming to my PSVita.
Definitely a genre that needs to be explored on the portable.
Don’t care about the price, just make sure we all get a polished experience and that it comes out when it is ready.

+ GStylez1980 on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

But, but…the Vita has no games! ;)

+ avluis on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

@GStylez1980
Please don’t make me slap you with my PSVita backlog ;)

+ Apeman24 on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

Also, my personal preference is, I do not like to buy digital. Although doubtful according to your kick starter, is there any chance of a physical release? Thanks.

+ FearMonkey on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Really looking forward to this.

Any chance of a Broken Sword HD Collection on PS3/4 in the future? ^_^

+ FearMonkey on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

Or Vita, of course. ^_^

+ lisatsunami on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

Hey, this is something different. I am interested.

And yay, more Vita games, thanks! Today must be Vita day, so many games announced.

+ GeoDarky on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Boom! thank you for bring this to PS Vita

+ Elvick_ on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

Neato. :D

+ redknight4 on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

glad to see there is a 4th title in the series coming. i played the PC version of the first game in this point and click adventure saga.

+ Ryumoau on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

Judge Dee, which released last year, really got me interested in the point and click type games. I’ll definitely try this game if its priced right.

+ Mobius2525 on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

Never played the series,but for supporting the vita is a day on buy for me.

+ EvyatarAtarEvyat on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

Definitely buying this one!
This looks awesome!

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

Wow, so much Vita love today, this is awesome. A P&C adventure game, and with amazing looking visuals to boot. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one and will most likely be picking it up. Looks great!

+ plaztiksyke on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:43 pm said:

I would *love* to see Broken Sword 3 on PS3 and Vita! It was one of the most beautiful games we played on the original Xbox (modulo a few chunky textures and crazy load times), and it would be fantastic to play it again with HD graphics and better audio quality.

Any chance of a BASS HD with trophies, as well?

+ Bobbio210 on August 22nd, 2013 at 4:01 pm said:

I have been a fan of the Broken Sword series since the beginning and look forward to playing the next chapter on the Vita. Thank you Revolution.

+ Technatorium on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:05 pm said:

Hey guys at Revolution. If you ever consider going back to a Beneath a Steel sky please do so. I loved that game a lot. I really enjoy the Broken Sword games but BASS was a lot of fun for me back in the day.

+ aelurio1980 on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:14 pm said:

I love this serie. Thank you for bringing this game to the vita.

+ icurafuse on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

I’m a kickstarter for this game and will get it on PC. However, I’d prefer to play this on the Vita so I’ll give my code to a friend a buy it on the Vita.l

My only recommendation is to be very careful with the rear touch screen. It doesn’t always make the controls more fun. You’ve got to make a very specific function for it to work and time limited. You have to accept that gamers will want to rest their hands on it most of the time.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:29 pm said:

this game always interested me back in the PC days of teh 90s… but i never got around to trying it.. now i have a reason too

+ martinirage1 on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:36 pm said:

Definitely looks like a different style game than what’s in the current vita library. And that is totally awesome. Ill check this out for sure. Thank you and revolution software for bringing this game to the vita

+ nextleveltaken on August 23rd, 2013 at 2:31 am said:

Delighted to see this series make a comeback, and on my Vita makes it even sweeter. I’d love to see the original two games as downloadable PS1 classics.

+ AdaWongKhoSeann on August 23rd, 2013 at 3:00 am said:

very nice anime graphic i’ll collect it, PS3 or PS4, anyway i’ll collect both :)

+ swan-ton-bom on August 29th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

Dem graphics….. just….. too good for words.