PS3-TLOU Left Behind

The Last of Us: Outbreak Day and Alternate Ending

Neil Druckmann's Avatar + Posted by Neil Druckmann on Sep 26, 2013 // Creative Director, Naughty Dog

So today is September 26th, 2013. That’s a special date for us. It’s the day the Cordyceps outbreak hit critical mass in the world of The Last of Us.

We at Naughty Dog are celebrating by sharing some crazy tweets in regards to the outbreak. Join us in describing your experience (real or not) of how you’d survive the pandemic. Tweet with the hashtag #OutbreakDay. We’ll be retweeting the most creative tweets throughout the day.

To further celebrate the occasion, we have something fun we’ve been dying to share with you. It is our honor to show you the “alternate” ending for the game – with a slight twist. We originally only showed this video at this year’s PAX Prime, but now it’s time for everyone to see it. We think you’ll enjoy it.

Come back tomorrow when we’ll reveal more info about our DLC plans (including some additions to the Season Pass). In the meantime, do your best to stay alive over the next 24 hours.

Endure and survive!

PAGE 1 2

+ yazter on September 26th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

I hate announcements about upcoming annoucements.

But for the singleplayer component of a such a phenomenal game, I’ll let this slide. Just this once ;)

Looking forward to the single player DLC info :)

+ D-Squad3 on September 26th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

OMG yes!!! Can’t wait for tomorrow!

+ D-Squad3 on September 26th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

OMG there’s no way that would’ve been the ending! LOL

+ gbpackers25 on September 26th, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

Breaking news The Last of Us dlc is actually a musical!
Get hyped!

+ Coody-Baroody on September 26th, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

@ Neil and Bruce

This video just underlines how amazing The Last Of Us really is due to the coming together of so many of you people who possess PURE talent and it must have been unforgettable experience making such a masterpiece of a game.

It is quite simply the most VITAL part of Playstations future success that Sony keep hold of you guys at Naughty Dog with all their strength and that guys like you 2 – who I have such admiration for too by the way, you 2 are like ROCK STARS to us gamers who know their games – dont leave Naughty Dog.

Keep up the amazing work guy and thank you for TLOU.

Neil Druckmann's Avatar

+ Neil Druckmann on September 26th, 2013 at 11:14 am said:

Wow… thanks. But we’re just two people in a large team of some of the most talented people in the industry. Naughty Dog is our home. We ain’t going anywhere.

+ tashpool on September 26th, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

Bahaha! That was amazing!
That could have been the ultimate easter egg if it was included in the game. Well done!

+ spoonTRex on September 26th, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

Cannot wait for the opening on Broadway, that was awesome.

+ Evil_Vladimyr on September 26th, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

That was hilarious!!!

I’m also extremely glad that we are finally getting an announcement regarding the DLC. Here’s hoping we don’t have to wait too long after the announcement to get some Season Pass goodness.

+ GForce_Wolf on September 26th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

I don’t really remember killing Marlene on the operating room. She showed up later when i came down the elevator, then I shot her. was it just me ? or everyone killed her then.

+ cubbielovr on September 26th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

Very very cool. Talented actors and actresses on so many levels, and like everyone else, I am VERY excited about the DLC announcement tomorrow.

+ Coody-Baroody on September 26th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

@GForce Wolf

Its an ‘Alternate’ Ending mate, meaning not the one they used in the endso yes, what you played is what we all played.

+ raheemdplayer on September 26th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

Welp…I’m glad this is just the alternate ending. I honestly expected someone else to die or something. Not Phantom of the Opera!

But thank God about the DLC news! It’s been too long!

+ steevph on September 26th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

lol! awesome

+ Flatline51 on September 26th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

Outstanding. I was totally expecting something else but that was great. Thank you for sharing that and for making a kick ass game.

+ Catcher_BR on September 26th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

very funny ND, very Funny…udasuhdusqudqs

GIMME DLC NOW PLOX

+ tusunami on September 26th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Wow the production for this game is amazing, I look forward to seeing this glad I bought the collectors Ed. This shall be interesting. Now I’m totally excited to see UC4 PS4 day 1 I’m out.

+ GForce_Wolf on September 26th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

at + Coody-Baroody but they mentioned the idea came when they were actually shooting the real ending. an at first Marlene was in the operating room. I only remember shooting the doctors and escaping. Marlene showed up outside the elevator I’m not mistaken.

+ Da_Almighty_Guy on September 26th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

That was pretty humorous.

I await the DLC news tomorrow!

+ Kratier on September 26th, 2013 at 11:51 am said:

ITS BEEN LIKE 4 MONTHS AND THERE HAS BEEN NO DLC RELEASED

I WANT MY MONEY BACK

+ HE1SENBERG on September 26th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

Are we ever going to be able to buy that glorious tee with the caricatures of Joel and Ellie talkin’ ‘raffes? I’ve seen some fakes floating about, but would much rather have some quality assurance and the money go to those who actually worked for it.

+ Elvick_ on September 26th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

Horde mode please~

+ K3ViNPwNz- on September 26th, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

Lmao this has to be ND TROLLING US.xD
Last of us the musical xD
That’s hilarious ND

+ IrishDude2 on September 26th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

<3 Naughty Dog <3

Can't wait to see what you guys do next!

+ CIausSanAndreas on September 26th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

¡Thanks so much for post it! I really wanted to see it from PAX 2013, only in Naughty Dog…
I’m waiting like crazy the announcement of the DLC :)

+ MindFreak_19 on September 26th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

Them clickers again

+ DaMostWanted786 on September 26th, 2013 at 12:26 pm said:

Haha wow this is another reminder of how talented Naughty Dog is, especially the actors!!!

+ a1_re4 on September 26th, 2013 at 12:32 pm said:

Too bad Ellie was out cold. She never got to hear Joel sing! lol

+ Gamerzlimited on September 26th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

@Kratier Hey dolt, if you are too lazy to even bother reading the end of this topic, they are announcing that there will be some DLC news coming out tomorrow. Learn to read before posting.

But if you insist, can I have your copy for free? You’ll help me save $60.

+ Coody-Baroody on September 26th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

@GForce Wolf

Yes I know you aren’t mistaken mate which is what I said earlier. The ending you saw is the one we all saw. But what you have to remember is, with the performance capture, Naughty Dog can put in whatever background they like really if it suits them.

This is just like many other times you see in game development where they work on something but when you play the finished game its completely different.

Joel does just grab Ellie and the encounter with Marleene IS outside of the elevator Joel walks through.

+ Coody-Baroody on September 26th, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

@ Kratier

LOL at you mate. Its only been 3 months and Im all for it taking a decent amount of time. We at least know then that it will be very well made and its obviously not just been taken out of the main game in development and then sold to us at a charge. Day 1 DLC is appalling and ND taking a decent time with it means it falls in the complete opposite of Day 1 DLC.

Oh and also, thank for replying Neil. I should have made more of a point that all of you guys at Naughty Dog are responsible for TLOU and Uncharted. Its obviously between all of you that ‘the magic happens’ as Christophe says. LOL

You guys still rock though. Such an emotional, well written story that came across as brilliantly as it did says an awful lot for the director, in this case being you obviously.

+ IzoGray on September 26th, 2013 at 1:03 pm said:

That made me really happy. It was awe inspiring to see Troy and Marlene do something like this. A Class actors

+ Welmosca on September 26th, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

Neil Druckmann

I just want to say that you’re THE GUY…the writing of TLoU is top notch…god-like phenomenal….you just did one of the best writing in the video games history.

The video was so funny…..the part of “if you drop the gun just continue – ok I got it”…that was funny and the singing part…..OMG that was hilarious.

Alternate ending…ha that was for the “big mouths” out there hu….amazing ND.TLoU ending was perfect just for the record.

+ MarinoBrea on September 26th, 2013 at 1:15 pm said:

Wow, that was really powerful.

+ lisatsunami on September 26th, 2013 at 1:53 pm said:

Neil,

That was a brilliant directing idea, as it must have both broken the tension and given a powerful boost to the actors and crew.

Again Sony would be crazy not to make a TLoU movie…but a musical, hmmm?

Neil Druckmann's Avatar

+ Neil Druckmann on September 26th, 2013 at 2:15 pm said:

I was just something fun to do. Both Merle and Troy have a singing background, so it was cool seeing how everything would play out. Obviously, we were all blown away with what actually happened.

+ TomHoang on September 26th, 2013 at 2:18 pm said:

Hopefully some DLC to add singing voices for all of the characters!

+ Dracorius on September 26th, 2013 at 3:18 pm said:

Been waiting for this. Thanks Neil. Can’t wait for the dlc announcements. Just out of curiosity, have you played Gavin Moore’s little gem Puppeteer? After losing 30 hours of sleep of TLOU, I am now losing 20 hours of sleep on this.

Neil Druckmann's Avatar

+ Neil Druckmann on September 26th, 2013 at 3:47 pm said:

Haven’t played Puppeteer yet. It’s on the list of games I need to catch up with. I hear great things, though.

+ HorrorGod on September 26th, 2013 at 4:39 pm said:

That was funny for only about 2 seconds… then I had to stop it. :P

Great game, ND. I’m looking forward to the DLC announcement. Keep up the great work.

+ Kantankoras on September 26th, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

If Naughty Dog’s next game isn’t a musical, I’m going to be sorely disappointed.

+ I-Like-Pie45 on September 26th, 2013 at 5:28 pm said:

Neil, you don’t happen to be a fan of Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog, by any chance?

+ Zevrou on September 26th, 2013 at 5:45 pm said:

HAHahahahahha you guys are the best

+ FUNKYbyNature on September 26th, 2013 at 6:00 pm said:

Really you guys made my favorite game this gen ! it’s just that good ! I’m a fan ! Thank you !

Can’t wait to see what’s coming from Naughty Dog on PS4 !

+ HYBRiDxWiNDEXzZ on September 26th, 2013 at 6:18 pm said:

wow that video was funny. thank god that wasnt the real ending. cant wait for the dlc

+ Snow_Star_Hunter on September 26th, 2013 at 6:19 pm said:

I love Naughty Dog!

I’m probably Neil Druckmann’s number one fan in the world \o/
I mean… Bruce and everyone that put their best on it are all amazing, and each one is as important as you are, but I really do have a special appreciation for your work specifically.

Looking forward to the DLC and your future projects! I’m just waiting to be amazed again by you guys, starting… tomorrow! Oh Jesus… It’s actually happening, isn’t it?!

Greetings from Brazil!

+ broda812 on September 26th, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

That was amazing.

+ Thiagots85 on September 26th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

oh god…. that’s awesome!

I would have pissed my pants, like what I almost did here now hsuaHSUhuHUhs

+ idn86i on September 26th, 2013 at 9:12 pm said:

Naughty Dog team and everyone that was involved in making TLOU possible, thank you! That clip was brilliant lol Excellent surprise!

+ ronmaest on September 26th, 2013 at 10:16 pm said:

Troy Baker has some real acting-balls! He really lets go.

+ Egz-Onine on September 27th, 2013 at 1:00 am said:

Like the barking dog ending of Silent Hill 2. This should have been a secret ending!

+ Felipe_Thiago_BR on September 27th, 2013 at 1:02 am said:

Yeayyyy but i hope his dlc included in the SEASON PASS

+ GABEv01 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:18 am said:

That video was so unexpected… Haha! Thx for sharing it with us. TLOU, I just can’t get enough of it!! Quick question though… Will the comic book series continue after the 4 issue mini series?

PAGE 1 2