LittleBigPlanet 3

The Last of Us: New Hats in Multiplayer, Game on Sale

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Oct 22, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Halloween is rapidly approaching in North America. We’re celebrating by starting to roll out the initial batch of the multiplayer head items for The Last of Us multiplayer. First up are the Country Flag hats:

Country Flag Hats TLOU 4_720p

Country Flag Hats TLOU 2_720pCountry Flag Hats TLOU 3_720p

Comprising 22 items representing 22 countries, these hats are included as part of The Last of Us Season Pass. If you haven’t purchased a Season Pass, it’s a great deal with 75% savings over buying all the DLC individually. If you’d rather buy the hats separately, they are available for $0.99 each.

If you’ve missed out entirely and haven’t even picked up The Last of Us yet, the North American PlayStation Store is kicking off their Sale of the Dead with deep discounts on the digital version of the full game. Visit the Sale of the Dead blog post for specifics.

Apocalypse is the first community run The Last of Us tournament ever. We’re happy to lend support and provide prizing for it. Check out this fan created trailer promoting the tournament from community member and tournament organizer, Triplewreck:

Choose your faction and enter your best team of survivors. Apocalypse starts Friday, October 25.

Be on the lookout for more tournaments and more multiplayer head items in the coming weeks. See you online!

+ jefXfree on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:08 pm said:

Please fix my download list so I can download these items!

Customer service couldn’t help me! It’s been over a year! (Since the new store went live)

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:16 pm said:

What region are you in? You should call them. That works best.

+ MrBeens on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:10 pm said:

So this is the beginning of the the ‘Great Value’ of the season pass?

Hats?

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm said:

We started with the Abandoned Territories Map Pack and we have a lot more DLC content coming yet.

+ jefXfree on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm said:

I’m in US. I’ve called multiple times over the course of a few months. Nothing ever happened with it. They were unable to help me and never called me back two of the times I set up callbacks.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

I’ll contact Customer Service directly to see what can be done but I suggest calling in again. Thanks.

+ saab01 on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:48 pm said:

Why is the multiplayer for this game soooo difficult. I usually never have trouble when getting into matches and racking up some kills. Until I played this game for whatever reason I cant pick it up every game I play I get more deaths than kills and sometimes I cant get any kills. Its disappointing since I really enjoyed the Single player and I hate how I spent 60 bucks a game that I beat once and now just sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Any tips on how to get better in the multiplayer side?

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:52 pm said:

There are a lot of good videos from the community online about this. Just out our forums as well.

Most importantly, you have to think about The Last of Us multiplayer differently. It’s about survival and helping your team out and not your kill/death ratio so much.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:49 pm said:

When will you post about the single player DLC? Also, will there be a co-op story mode like what was done for uncharted 2 & 3?

+ D-Squad3 on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:53 pm said:

I hope you guys add more than just flags, we need more variety, masks, helmets etc.

Flags is very lazy.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

There’s a lot more coming. As we said, this is the first batch…and for now you can be patriotic! :)

+ HeathenAmerico on October 22nd, 2013 at 5:16 pm said:

Man… The tournament is already full? Sadface.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 5:22 pm said:

There will be more!

+ Spine999 on October 22nd, 2013 at 5:20 pm said:

Love everything you guys are doing!!! Don’t listen to the haters :D

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 5:22 pm said:

Thanks! We listen to everyone and keep doing what we are doing to make the best possible stuff.

+ ein_nineteenth on October 22nd, 2013 at 5:26 pm said:

Will the next update add crates that contain more hats?

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:

Ha. No, it won’t.

+ fRaNcZ_ on October 22nd, 2013 at 5:27 pm said:

why is Season Pass not included in the sale? was hoping it is.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:

The sale is part of a PSN initiative called “Zombie Week” — the season pass is only $19.99…that’s a steal!

+ Cotrip on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:03 pm said:

Even small things like these are welcome, ty Eric and ND team!

by the way, I think the multiplayer lacks variation sometimes, especially because there’s only 3 modes. Any news regarding that? It would be great to get a new mode like Interrogation before the next multiplayer DLC.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 12:55 pm said:

Thank you for the kind words!

We’re working on many different things for MP and will announce once we’ve hit upon something fun.

+ tusunami on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:13 pm said:

This is totally the best gotta get back in & play again a little. Might see if I can round up a posse. PS4 day1 shipping I’m out

+ asunSooo on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:20 pm said:

I want to ask if I buy the full game is ps + on sale , did i get an online pass to ? thanks

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

Yes you should get an online pass too but check the text on the store for a full run down.

+ goodSuM on October 22nd, 2013 at 7:03 pm said:

When are the forum digital rewards going out? It’s been three weeks after the 4-week notice.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

I’ll check with the forums team. Thanks.

+ Kchow23 on October 22nd, 2013 at 8:20 pm said:

Hmm, so all the hats from different countries all count as part of the Season Pass?

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

Yup. that’s the first batch of hats we’ll be giving that will be included in the season pass!

+ DwayneW1987 on October 22nd, 2013 at 8:52 pm said:

I boycott all Season passes. As long as we all keep buying what they’re selling, they will keep holding things back and rushing things out for the sake of longevity within our pockets. There has to be something else than this overwhelmingly slow switch to PC.

Either way, no season passes for me. Probably no DLC either because it divides us as gamers and renders games partly useless, but developers already have our money at that point. Our attention span as gamers probably is too low for developers to actually try, nor to subtly deceive us. It’s been blatant and we all allowed it to happen.

Where are videogames going? It’s up to all of us to make tough choices. Choices with our “money.”

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:04 pm said:

Yup, it’s completely your choice on how you spend your money. We are making all this DLC from scratch. Nothing was held back and nothing will be rushed. We give the Season Pass option so people can get it all in one shot at a very reasonable price. Your choice.

+ MF_Blayze on October 22nd, 2013 at 9:23 pm said:

No Puerto Rico hat???

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

We made the top regions in terms of hours logged playing the MP.

+ mikerocks1234 on October 23rd, 2013 at 2:05 am said:

maybe a bit off topic
i think that they created the last of multiplayer character interface all wrong it should be more like mass effect 3 or gta v where you create a person male or female choose a custom look for your player everyone in the game look the same , and give them special traits that can be change at any time like if one wanted give that player healing that should done out of the character and there should be notification to your teammate that you are healer. rather then the weapons load out .

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

We’re a different kind of MP and we made it as such to support the idea of Factions.

+ SweatySasquatch on October 23rd, 2013 at 5:11 am said:

Woo hoo! 6 1/2 months later and we get hats! awesome! Hell yeah! that’s exactly what I wanted! No longer are Season passes worth it. In fact Season passes have been a joke for a very long time now, and every time I mention this game someone brings up how I wasted my money on the pass, and it pisses me off. The fact is I haven’t played this game in a very long time, and the PS4 comes out in 23 days, and I will no longer care about what they release as DLC.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

You’ll be saving over 75% versus buying this all individually – we single player DLC and a lot more MP DLC to come yet. We are making all the DLC from scratch so we aren’t rushing it.

+ SweatySasquatch on October 23rd, 2013 at 5:22 am said:

Oh sorry, it’s been 4 months my bad lol.

+ passivefamiliar on October 23rd, 2013 at 5:37 am said:

Picked this game up last night on the sale. ( afew others as well loving these discounts) most likely buying a hat to go with it, but not sure I’ll even be big on the multiplayer. Will check it out for sure though. After i I see how I like the multiplayer I will consider the season pass. But my question, how long will the season pass be available? I’d think once a couple dlc packs come out it would be sort of stupid to keep the pass on the store from a cost/income standpoint.

will be checking this game out tonight after work for sure. And look forward to seeing whatswhat’s in store for it

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:09 pm said:

The season pass will be available for a limited time. We haven’t decided yet but if you look at other season passes you might get a good idea.

+ Psyschock on October 23rd, 2013 at 5:44 am said:

Good choice not putting The Last Of Us on sale on the EU PSN stores!
I mean, who wants to pay less for a censored version? ;)

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

Every PSN store in their own region controls their own sales….just like there is cultural variance across the PAL region that accounts for the changes made to the game.

+ Welmosca on October 23rd, 2013 at 9:22 am said:

So this is it?…country hats……..oh man cant believe this 22 hats are part of those 60 items you guys mentioned….hope you have some decent items stored for Halloween.

Ok here we go again…….one more time….how about you guys fix the damn bug with our backpack and crafting items..you know that old stuff that me and a thousand of people have been asking for a long time before patch 1.03…..we craft 3 items and we get 30 parts instead of 90 parts…will that ever be fixed?…thank you.

See you guys online…Stragglers look alive!!!

+ Coody-Baroody on October 23rd, 2013 at 10:16 am said:

@Eric Monacelli

Still answering infinitely more questions than SCE I see? Awesome. Anyway, just thought I’d give my 2 cents about trophies again and ask for you guys to NOT include anymore MP trophies and just give us SP trophies with the SP dlc?

Not because I can only do SP trophies before anybody starts with that BS, I’ve got almost 5500 trophies and 100s of them are online trophies (not to blow my own trumpet I just hate the way people always accuse anyone who asks for SP trophies of being bad at MP) but because I think the way Naughty Dog implemented trophies was superb on TLOU and it never got in the way of actually playing and enjoying the game how it was meant to be played and enjoyed and I just don’t see that continuing if you include any MP trophies for the 2 MP dlc packs.

Just hope you take it on board. Don’t spoil TLOUs superb trophy list.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:34 pm said:

The timing of this post made it easier to answer SCEA questions first.

Thanks for the feedback. We will have DLC trophies but we aren’t sure what they will be yet.

+ Gamer9031 on October 23rd, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Don’t mean to nag, but I was hoping for a Scottish flag rather than the United Kingdom, nonetheless, this was a perfect game with great multiplayer!

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:35 pm said:

We made the regions that had the most hours logged.

+ antibolo on October 23rd, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Video games were better back when we didn’t have to pay extra to access content that is already in the game.

+ Eric Monacelli on October 23rd, 2013 at 1:35 pm said:

None of this was in the game. We are making all DLC from scratch.

+ zenitram_27 on October 23rd, 2013 at 4:12 pm said:

I don’t have a specific comment or anything. Just wanted to point out the fantastic job your’e doing trying to reply to everyones comments. Not everyday you get dedication like that. I thank you sir

+ Nightwing0613 on October 23rd, 2013 at 7:29 pm said:

Can we expect anymore single player DLC after the one you have planned? Because single player is truly where you guys shine. I always wanted some single player DLC for Uncharted & it never happened. So please make a ton for The Last of Us

+ Welmosca on October 25th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

Post is 3 days old….so thanks for not answering…yeah keep ignoring a major problem.

+ sparkkus816 on October 25th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

Thanks Naughty Dog! Its been such a long time since any multiplayer games have really appealed to me! The new maps are really cool would likw MAP OR TWO THAT HAD SOME CLICKERS ARE RUNNERS TO DEAL WITH…LOL

+ sparkkus816 on October 25th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

Thanks Naughty Dog! Its been such a long time since any multiplAYER games have really appealed to me! The new maps are really cool! would like A MAP OR TWO THAT HAD SOME CLICKERS OR RUNNERS TO DEAL WITH…LOL

+ Hooligantuan on October 28th, 2013 at 12:20 am said:

New Hats?

Who does The Last of Us think it is? Team Fortress 2?

+ RISE_UP44 on October 31st, 2013 at 9:36 pm said:

Hello their I am curious if anyone else may have had there Season Pass disappear off of their Download List? I am just curious because I am not able to download the DLC it says I have to pay even though I purchased the Season Pass… hmmm.. anyway no big deal I will just contact customer support but I was looking to see if anyone else may have had this happen to them. Game On..